scott genius 29" & 650B 2013- Mtbr.com
    Cassoulet forever !

scott genius 29" & 650B 2013

26 is dead !

Infos VTT : Scott 2013, un nouveau Génius et deux taille de roues..

Not mus info for now, but we can see that they keep a singlepivot suspension, and use a new shock, not pulled.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice. Looks like abp type pivot at the axle.

Cassoulet forever !
    May be i should explain my title : there is no more a 26" version, only 27 and 29"

The suspension is very close to the Spark. I don't think it is a abp/split pivot, but rather a classical singlepivot (with brake on the chainstay) with a linkage actuated shock.

29" version have got 130mm of travel, 27" have 150mm
    2.4Kg carbon frame + shock ( minus 200g / 2011)
    high end shock get a dual positive air chamber. But i don't know about the hydraulic circuits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    whats the release date on scott bikes for 2013

Cassoulet forever !

Trail Junkie
    Is 130mm now considered All Mountain? I see that the 650b is 150mm, but the 29er is 130?

I guess I am just confused..possibly along with the whole genre.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Its a shame that Scott are persisting with the outdated and inefficient single pivot suspension design that need tricky shocks for them to ride well.

Scott Spark 29 RC Long-term Review - BikeRadar

If only they'd put their know how of building very light carbon frames into a DW link style bike. That would be one awesome machine.

Ok maybe this isn't so relevent to the Genius, but this bike used to be a 5" travel Race / Trail bike with a horst link.

mtb fully
    Lapierre XR29ei, Chris King LB Carbon, XTR 1 X 10
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by xcbarny View Post
    Its a shame that Scott are persisting with the outdated and inefficient single pivot suspension design that need tricky shocks for them to ride well.

If only they'd put their know how of building very light carbon frames into a DW link style bike. That would be one awesome machine.

Ok maybe this isn't so relevent to the Genius, but this bike used to be a 5" travel Race / Trail bike with a horst link.

mtb fully

I can of agree.
    Scott stop using the FSR suspension when they enter the US market, to avoid specialized, their biggest competitor.

I thought that the FSR pattent was expiring this year, and expecting them to get back to a FSR setup.

I would like a 140mm All Mountain Ibis Ripley

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xcbarny View Post

mtb fully
    That's not really my takeaway from reading the Bike Radar review. I interpretted it as poor execusion. They fitted a Fox damper to it and were much happier with its performance. The only area of further improvement was excessive pedal bob because of a poorly placed front pivot. Also, Horst link improves suspension performance under braking but does nothing for pedalling.

I'm certainly a big fan of multi-link suspension and think once you get over 100mm of travel it's the way to go if pedalling efficiency is a concern. But at 100mm and below it's possible to make a well performing bike if done correctly. It's also typically easier/lighter/cheaper to design a four bar than a multi-link.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    I can of agree.
    Scott stop using the FSR suspension when they enter the US market, to avoid specialized, their biggest competitor.

I thought that the FSR pattent was expiring this year, and expecting them to get back to a FSR setup.

I would like a 140mm All Mountain Ibis Ripley
    I want a 140mm all mountain Ibis Ripley too! I think they were setting the travel at 120mm though......but maybe you know something I don't.

mreow..
    Jun 2011
    Can't wait for this bike. I already decided I want it. Its basically a beefy, more travel version of their spark. Scott would not agree with what i just said, It is a completely different bike with a whole other feel. and as far as pivot and design, the frame for an " all mountain 29er" is LIGHT and I would imagine adding links would decrease stiffness and add wright in some way.
    Due to the increase in suburban crimes, I suddenly feel safer in the appalachia woods.

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    That's not really my takeaway from reading the Bike Radar review. I interpretted it as poor execusion. They fitted a Fox damper to it and were much happier with its performance. The only area of further improvement was excessive pedal bob because of a poorly placed front pivot. Also, Horst link improves suspension performance under braking but does nothing for pedalling.

I'm certainly a big fan of multi-link suspension and think once you get over 100mm of travel it's the way to go if pedalling efficiency is a concern. But at 100mm and below it's possible to make a well performing bike if done correctly. It's also typically easier/lighter/cheaper to design a four bar than a multi-link.
    I tested it at eurobike, and found myself thinking back about the bikeradar article : same sensations...

mnt bike laws of physics
    If you look at the Spark suspension as compared to the Tallboy, it has less anti-sag and much less than the new generation of DW-link bikes. It really is the only drawback to the Spark and Genius IMO. But, you do get less pedal feedback for those of you who can actually feel it. I really don't notice pedal feedback so I would rather have the anti-squat. I am wishing that someone would make a DW bike with the same geometry as the Genius, but they all come short and/or slack.

Members who have read this thread: 0