From Scott Aspect Hardtail to Motobecane Phantom?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

From Scott Aspect Hardtail to Motobecane Phantom?

Greetings everyone, I am new to the MTB scene and am loving my Scott Aspect 970. I am wanting to upgrade to a FS bike and saw that BikesDirect has the Motobecane Phantom for a wee bit more than what I paid for my Scott.

My question is I bought the Scott in the SMALL frame size, but I did ride their medium size as well at my local LBS and found no issues, even the mechanic said it looked fine, I am 5'7" tall in sneakers, and I am wanting to keep the 29'er as I like how mine rolls over stuff. I bought the small because of the color and mechanical discs as the medium as hella GREEN w/hydraulic brakes.

The BD website recommends I get the 27.5 wheel size due to my height. Would a 29'er Motobecane Phantom be too large for me?

mtbr member
    at 5'7" there's no specific reason why most small 29ers should not fit you. it might not suit your riding style, but your height has nothing to do with the wheel size in this case. if you were close to 5 feet tall, it would be difficult to find a 29er to fit you.

mtbr member
    Thank you Mack_Turtle! I will buy the 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    An inexpensive full sus bike won't be much of an upgrade if any. But you could get a much better hardtail than what you have. yours is 32lbs. with a Suntour fork designed for bike paths and smooth trails. Something 25lbs. with a real offroad fork would be night and day different and much better than a 35lbs fs bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    An inexpensive full sus bike won't be much of an upgrade if any. But you could get a much better hardtail than what you have. yours is 32lbs. with a Suntour fork designed for bike paths and smooth trails. Something 25lbs. with a real offroad fork would be night and day different and much better than a 35lbs fs bike.
    food for thought sir, upgrading the fork would be a good option. thank you.

mtbr member
    On these BD bikes, the smaller frames use 27.5 wheels, bigger frames are 29. So if the OP really wants this bike and a 29" wheel, he may have to size up on the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    at 5'7" there's no specific reason why most small 29ers should not fit you. it might not suit your riding style, but your height has nothing to do with the wheel size in this case. if you were close to 5 feet tall, it would be difficult to find a 29er to fit you.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    On these BD bikes, the smaller frames use 27.5 wheels, bigger frames are 29. So if the OP really wants this bike and a 29" wheel, he may have to size up on the frame.
    didn't realize that. I think Trek did/ does something similar with their sizing. I think that makes sense for very short riders, but I don't see why Motobecane bikes draw the line at that size.