mtbr member
    Dec 2018

SB 150 vs. Firebird 29 vs. Arktos 29

good day guys,

Im in the market for a new bike

This is the 3 bikes in my list,

which of them do you think is better in terms of performance

the arktos is the cheapest, while the sb150 is the most expensive.

I dont ride fast, i ride slow, so i need a bike that will give me confidence and precision.

ill use it for enduro, natural trails.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Raian; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:47 AM.

Jed Peters
    Tough to quantify.

I've ridden 2 of the above--and prefer the Arktos for "normal" trail riding, or "real" enduro/xc riding.

If I was sticking to a bike park, I'd probably prefer the Firebird the most, then a coil shocked Yeti....

Of the three, the arktos definitely pedals best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    the descending part is the most important quality for me, which is the most stable and comfortable to descend among these?

the yeti would cost around $3500
    the arktos is around $2400
    the firebird is packaged with frame and crank around $3900, estimates the frame would be more or less $2750

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    no bike parks here, just natural mountain enduro

Jed Peters
    Where would you get an arktos 29 for that price???

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    a special offer from the dealer, i know thats a good deal, but if im buying myself a bike, i want one that can satisfy according to performance.

mtbr member
    Scott Ransom. Lighter than all of the above, climbers better, descends better, more travel.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    the ransom is super expensive here $12,000 for a whole bike does not offer frame only..

ive read sir streetdoctor you have a sb150? can u compare it to the firebird29? i think im leaning on those two

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raian View Post
    the ransom is super expensive here $12,000 for a whole bike does not offer frame only..

ive read sir streetdoctor you have a sb150? can u compare it to the firebird29? i think im leaning on those two

OUCH! Ya nevermind, no Ransom! It's $7500 here. I ended up returning the 150 and buying a Ransom, I wasn't a fan of the flexy back end and the limited rear tire clearance. I have never ridden a firebird but I hear it's a great bike! I'd definitely take a look at one if you can.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    is the flex really really that bad? even on carbon rims 2.4 tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Firebird 29 first hand account: pro x01 build with factory and reynolds upgrade. I only have a direct comparison to the Ransom and sworks Enduro 29 which i jave owbed previously. Firebird 29 was chosen after the whole summer of testing and comparing the rigs that suit my needs. That is long alpine tours also multi day, technical descents and guiding.
    In the last 30 days from beginning of November, i covered more than 35000 vertical metres. The FB29 climbs very well, no issues for me here and descends awsomely, everywhere. Its not a park only tool, far from it. Totally trail capable and fun, popy and agile, and at the same time with stupendous amount of reserves and stability. You should take time to set up the complex suspension, defenitely opt for carbon wheels upgrade, and there is no limits ronwhat you can (easily) do with the bike. I ride it in high setting. Tried the Ransom aswell. It does climb better on smooth stuff. FB 29 descends better for my liking. Same weight, stiffer overall, better suspension. You can tune it as you wish - either a superfast, ground hugging downhill racer, or a poppy, agile and fun technical shredder. Or - of course, - anything in between. Ever since I got it, i cannot stop smiling. Things that have felt marginal on Enduro 29 months earlier, fall well within comfort zone on the FB 29.