Saw this today- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 68 of 68

Thread: Saw this today

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074

    Saw this today

    So I walked into the Spokesman bike shop in Santa Cruz today and I saw this. This thing is sick, I asked and was told that the large that you're looking came in at a little over 21 pounds and that's bone stock!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101
    looks like someone sucked all the soul out of it.

  3. #3
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,349
    Nice
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    looks like someone sucked all the soul out of it.
    That's why it's so light!!!


  5. #5
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,254
    Cool. That bike rides great by the way. We got to ride those at Interbike and Sea Otter before that. We were told they would come in at the low 20's for weight, so they must have hit their target on that.

    Dare I ask........

    how much?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

    Blog
    RidingGravel.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Cool. That bike rides great by the way. We got to ride those at Interbike and Sea Otter before that. We were told they would come in at the low 20's for weight, so they must have hit their target on that.

    Dare I ask........

    how much?
    I didn't ask (I've got the frame set on order) but I know it aint cheep.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51
    Spokesman always has very blingy bikes. I hate walking in there because an angel appears on one shoulder and tells me just to look and a devil pops up on the other shoulder and tells me to bust out the credit card.

    It's tradition for my wife and I to take a gander in there before going to eat at Hula's next door.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9
    how much is that puppy?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion Rides
    Spokesman always has very blingy bikes. I hate walking in there because an angel appears on one shoulder and tells me just to look and a devil pops up on the other shoulder and tells me to bust out the credit card.

    It's tradition for my wife and I to take a gander in there before going to eat at Hula's next door.
    Hula's, why I've been known to tip back a tasty beverage while enjoying a meal there myself.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by jts2005
    how much is that puppy?
    MSRP is listed on the Specialized website as $6100.

    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9247

    Cheers!

  11. #11
    Plastic homer
    Reputation: Moval49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    592
    Awesome - let us in on your build when you do it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    128
    That's a lot of dough for a Taiwanese hardtail. Looks pretty nice though.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    698
    That is way too much for that bike! I spend a lot of money on bikes, but there is not justification for a bike to cost that much that.

    I know it does not cost that much to produce a carbon frame.

  14. #14
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin
    That's a lot of dough for a Taiwanese hardtail. Looks pretty nice though.
    i agree

    i only buy US-made carbon frames

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,985
    cassette alone is $328

    several parts cannot be purchased separately (Sworks cranks w/ XX spider & rings)

    we saw one tonight at Rock N Road. if i had the money we would have left with it. allison will shred on one of those next year!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i agree

    i only buy US-made carbon frames

    Is there such a thing?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    128
    True that. Taiwanese carbon frames are a dime a dozen these days and for $6100.00 or so one can only imagine the profit margin on that bike.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ChuckUni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Is there such a thing?
    Not many full carbons, if at all. I know Crumpton did one or two but I don't know if it's going to be a regular product.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Is there such a thing?
    All Trek and Fisher OCLV frames are one example

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin
    True that. Taiwanese carbon frames are a dime a dozen these days and for $6100.00 or so one can only imagine the profit margin on that bike.
    If I had to guess, I would say 4k

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    I know it does not cost that much to produce a carbon frame.
    This statement just boggles my mind. Of course it doesn't cost that much to produce! Isn't that the point of capitalism? They'll charge what the market will bear.

    Then again, if you pay that much for one you're not very smart.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    128
    I agree on the 4k. holy mark up batman!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    This statement just boggles my mind. Of course it doesn't cost that much to produce! Isn't that the point of capitalism? They'll charge what the market will bear.

    Then again, if you pay that much for one you're not very smart.
    Totally agree

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin
    True that. Taiwanese carbon frames are a dime a dozen these days and for $6100.00 or so one can only imagine the profit margin on that bike.
    like whybotherme pointed out, there is much more about that bike that is ultra high-end than just the frame. You are ignoring a lot of parts (possibly on purpose to make these stupid comments, but I can't be sure)

    I believe the drivetrain and brakes alone are almost $2500. A standard XX Reba 29er is over $700 and Specialized uses an exclusive carbon crown and steerer for the fork on these bikes making them even more expensive. Also new ultra-light wheels, carbon components all over the rest of the bike, etc. Those are aftermarket prices, so I'm sure they are still making a decent margin. But I'm pretty sure you are just being a troll if you keep saying they can obviously make $4K profit on that bike

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin
    True that. Taiwanese carbon frames are a dime a dozen these days and for $6100.00 or so one can only imagine the profit margin on that bike.
    And because R&D is free so the dam thing shouldn't more than $55.00 + parts & shipping
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    cassette alone is $328

    several parts cannot be purchased separately (Sworks cranks w/ XX spider & rings)

    we saw one tonight at Rock N Road. if i had the money we would have left with it. allison will shred on one of those next year!
    Not to mention the custom Reba with tapered 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 carbon steerer and crown.

    Edit: Damn! boomn beat me to it!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    This statement just boggles my mind. Of course it doesn't cost that much to produce! Isn't that the point of capitalism? They'll charge what the market will bear.

    Then again, if you pay that much for one you're not very smart.
    Why does it boggle your mind? Is it wrong to point out the cost disparity of an over seas carbon frame?

    At least we agree on one thing

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin
    True that. Taiwanese carbon frames are a dime a dozen these days and for $6100.00 or so one can only imagine the profit margin on that bike.
    uh, cheap (not just good price cheap) and lower technology Taiwanese and Chinese carbon frames are a dime a dozen, but just like with Taiwanese aluminum and steel frames, the higher quality frames with better quality control (and exclusive technologies like the Spec FACT carbon), better raw materials, better workmanship, etc will always cost more. Honda Civics like mine are a dime a dozen too, but they doesn't mean Ferrari rebadges the same car and marks it up. To some people there is a difference that is worth extra for; just because you and I would not pay it doesn't mean the difference isn't there

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    139
    best thing about that bike is the cassette.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,985
    good call guys!

    not everyone needs a WC race bike. good thing there is a choice! you can buy anything from a no-name ebay frame to something like this. you can also spend way more for a custom built Ti frame that is probably more likely to crack than this one.

    oh and when the custom Ti frame cracks you will probably have to wait a couple months... if this one breaks Specialized will most likely have you rolling in a couple days!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    like whybotherme pointed out, there is much more about that bike that is ultra high-end than just the frame. You are ignoring a lot of parts (possibly on purpose to make these stupid comments, but I can't be sure)

    I believe the drivetrain and brakes alone are almost $2500. A standard XX Reba 29er is over $700 and Specialized uses an exclusive carbon crown and steerer for the fork on these bikes making them even more expensive. Also new ultra-light wheels, carbon components all over the rest of the bike, etc. Those are aftermarket prices, so I'm sure they are still making a decent margin. But I'm pretty sure you are just being a troll if you keep saying they can obviously make $4K profit on that bike
    Of course they can make 4k, I know what it costs to make a bike, and source all the parts. A friend of mine owns a bicycle manufacture company. I know what he pays to get all this stuff.

    The drive train may have a 2,500 dollar msrp, but that is not what Specialized is paying for it. Not even close!

    I know, everyone gets into business to make money, but bikes are way out range from cost to produce to what they sale for.

    When a bike tire cost more than a car tire, there is something wrong.

    You do not have to agree

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevereeneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    662

    Uh oh ...

    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    looks like someone sucked all the soul out of it.
    Do I need to change my sig?

    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    When a bike tire cost more than a car tire, there is something wrong.
    I'm ok with not agreeing with the rest of it, but please leave this silly argument out of it. Sorry but the bad logic in this one is pet peeve of mine. If you wanted a valid comparison to the kind of cheap car tires that cost that little you would find it in the $5 bike tires at Walmart. I still think MTB tires are a bit overpriced, but I do buy them for maximum performance and high-end car racing tires are probably just as over-priced or even more so

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Why does it boggle your mind? Is it wrong to point out the cost disparity of an over seas carbon frame?

    At least we agree on one thing
    Because it's ignorant.

    Cost disparity with what exactly?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    128
    you know that specialized doesn't make there bikes which makes them a no name too. and for pennies on the dollar, of course they can get you rolling in a couple of days as opposed to a company that actually makes the frames they put their name on.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Of course they can make 4k, I know what it costs to make a bike, and source all the parts. A friend of mine owns a bicycle manufacture company. I know what he pays to get all this stuff.

    The drive train may have a 2,500 dollar msrp, but that is not what Specialized is paying for it. Not even close!

    I know, everyone gets into business to make money, but bikes are way out range from cost to produce to what they sale for.

    When a bike tire cost more than a car tire, there is something wrong.

    You do not have to agree
    Good for your friend. I hope he makes as much money as Mike Sinyard.

    You're probably right that bike prices are bloated. You don't have to buy it. Somebody will though.

    Like I said previously, if you pay that much you're not very smart. I have no qualms about getting the best deal I can for bike stuff because I know the company producing it is making money and I know the shop I'm buying it from is making money. Actually, I'm willing to pay a little more if I know the difference is going to the shop and the guys that work there.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin
    you know that specialized doesn't make there bikes which makes them a no name too. and for pennies on the dollar, of course they can get you rolling in a couple of days as opposed to a company that actually makes the frames they put their name on.
    No, they design and engineer their bikes then hire somebody that can produce them to their specs for the least amount of money.

    Not very many folks understand business here do they?

  38. #38
    Let There Be Dirt
    Reputation: BSIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    185

    The profit Specialized makes is nobody's business but ther own

    The consumer will set the price. If enough people buy the product at a given price that will provide incentive for the manufacturer to continue producing and offering it at that price.

    Nobody ever put a gun to my head and made me buy anything. If you think something costs too much, vote with your wallet and walk away.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Sorry. I'm not really this much of a &*$#head. I just feel like arguing this point for some reason.

    I understand where everyone here is coming from. I guess it just shocks me that folks are surprised by the fact that a big bike company that has been around as long as Specialized has is in it to make a healthy profit.

    Are you really that naive? I didn't think so.

    Soul? No probably not a lot in the big corporation sense but from what I know of them they know how to design and (have) built bikes that a lot of folks really like to ride.

    Cheers!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by BSIDE
    The consumer will set the price. If enough people buy the product at a given price that will provide incentive for the manufacturer to continue producing and offering it at that price.

    Nobody ever put a gun to my head and made me buy anything. If you think something costs too much, vote with your wallet and walk away.
    Thank God! Somebody understands how supply and demand works!

    WOW! Did this thread get off topic.

    In for more pics! Maybe more in focus this time?
    Last edited by goneskiian; 10-07-2009 at 11:11 PM.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    62
    Reminds me of a stripper. Great curves calling me for a ride. I wake up in the morning, wifes gone and I'm out 6k. Although, I would have a beautiful ride, the wife would still leave me.

  42. #42
    Is dang happy!
    Reputation: Mr. Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,360

    Humm.

    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    All Trek and Fisher OCLV frames are one example
    The superfly I built up yesterday had a made in Taiwan sticker on it.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

  43. #43
    Sweeper
    Reputation: WeatherMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    The superfly I built up yesterday had a made in Taiwan sticker on it.

    Superfly100's are USA made in Waterloo. The SuperFly hardtails are not OCLV.

  44. #44
    Plastic homer
    Reputation: Moval49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    The superfly I built up yesterday had a made in Taiwan sticker on it.
    Superfly hardtails have always been Taiwan origin - the new SF 100 is OCLV from Milwaukee. Trek branded carbon frames are as well.

    That said, my Superfly HT is tougher than I am - when I crashed a few weeks ago, it was fine - my right leg, not so much. Cast comes off next week.

    A lot of the best frames, carbon and aluminum, are made in Taiwan - Reydin's new one should be no exception .

    Again, looking forward to pics of the build!

  45. #45
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,606
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin
    That's a lot of dough for a Taiwanese hardtail. Looks pretty nice though.
    Check the past few years of excellent race bikes from Scott. They've been doing light and right for years in the 26" format. The top Scale HT Scott Scale lists for $8800 and weighs 18.28 lbs. And their top carbon full suspension carbon race bike, the Scott Spark, lists for $9350 and weighs 20.26 lbs.

    So, in my opinion, the Specialized carbon HT stock at $6100 is absolutely in the ball park when compared to what some other well known carbon race bike rigs in the 26" format have been selling for the last few years. The Scotts are actually down in price this time around as the top of the line full suspension carbon used to be over $10K.

    Ya gotta pay to play....

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,985
    SF100 is a nice bike, but doesn't belong in the same category as the Sworks HT. more than 4lbs heavier. Trek/GF didn't man up and put a top race build on their bike so sure the price is lower.

    i was very saddened when Trek pussed out last year with the 9.9SSL and shipped them with a MUCH heavier/cheaper build than they originally showed. the SF100 is no different.

    in the end putting the top components on these bikes saves the rider money because they don't have to replace a bunch of crap. SF100 + DT Swiss shock + XX + Reba XX + race wheels = way more than Sworks

  47. #47
    Desert Rat
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    355

    humor trumps market discussion

    [QUOTE=Borison]Reminds me of a stripper. Great curves calling me for a ride. I wake up in the morning, wifes gone and I'm out 6k /QUOTE]


    Now that is funny, and apropo.
    RapidCreekCycles

    Palisade, CO - Ride the Rim Trail!
    Niner
    Ibis
    COPMOBA

  48. #48
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,543
    Amusing thread.

    I am always glad to see the old "my buddy makes a custom frame with his name on it and this Taiwan POS cannot possibly be what his handmade 'Soul Rider 29er' frames are".

    Sigh.

    You can stick it to 'the man' all ya want on your little, handmade soap box, but the level of RandD, testing, engineering and unique parts on this bike are the space shuttle compared to your buddies steel/Ti 'Bro-Buddy Special' version of an airplane.

    Is it worth the cost? Well, is anything worth the cost? 1500.00 + dollars for some steel tubes stuck together with a TIG welder? What do the raw materials cost? Pennies comparatively.

    The Big S has a right to charge what it needs to make this type of product and not only survive, but profit and flourish. The consumer will decide in the end.

    But, really, this bike is pretty amazing to ride, soul or not, and is the current cutting edge along with other ones like the Niner CF bike. Cutting edge always costs, but eventually the tech bennies filter down to the more easily purchased bikes. Maybe even to your buddies 'handmade in a barn behind his solar powered house, next to the organic garden and the biodiesel car parking'.

    And, by the way, I love handmade steel bikes and have owned a few in my time...built in a barn as well. I just don't have the Che Guevara attitude toward big companies/capitalism that always seems to color these arguments and chest beating.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Borison
    Reminds me of a stripper. Great curves calling me for a ride. I wake up in the morning, wifes gone and I'm out 6k. Although, I would have a beautiful ride, the wife would still leave me.
    Mines already gone so I'm diggin for my wallet and heading for the gold room.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  50. #50
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101

    nope.

    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    oh and when the custom Ti frame cracks you will probably have to wait a couple months... if this one breaks Specialized will most likely have you rolling in a couple days!
    Lynskey had me turned around with new sliders in 2 days.

    Cut off old paragon sliders (bad batch of material), rewelded, rebrushed finish, acid etched new logos and shipped back out same day. Nothing beats dealing with an actual human being on the same side of the earth.

    Try that with a tupperware frame from the walmart of bikemakers.

    btw, got no less than 4 follow-up calls making sure my frame had arrived back safely and I was happy with it.

  51. #51
    Single Speed Junkie
    Reputation: crux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,111
    I got to ride the single speed version of the bike and it handled fine. The BB was nice and stiff wit hsome lat. flex to the rear wheels. The HT area was a bit flexy, but not to the point I would be worried (As long as the frame doen not incure any point loading on the side of the TT or DT.) From a performance stand point I would rate it at a 7/10 based off a short term test ride. I would like to see a lifetime fatiuge test on the frame confirming this high of a scoring.

    My understanding is that Spec. is currently having some difficulty with the molding process on some of the frames. With the price tag you are paying the scrap rate as well for development. Spec. could go with a different mold setup saving quite a bit of coin on both their side and increase margin and the frame would still cost less. From an mfg execution standpoint 4/10.

    Would I shell out $2200 HT or $2800 SS for a frame? Sure I would, but it would not be this frame. Spec. still has a bit of homework before I would consider this bike a viable option for me. Sure some might want a uber light bike for the race circuit, but you also need to figure in reliability.

  52. #52
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101

    build?

    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Sorry. I'm not really this much of a &*$#head. I just feel like arguing this point for some reason.

    I understand where everyone here is coming from. I guess it just shocks me that folks are surprised by the fact that a big bike company that has been around as long as Specialized has is in it to make a healthy profit.

    Are you really that naive? I didn't think so.

    Soul? No probably not a lot in the big corporation sense but from what I know of them they know how to design and (have) built bikes that a lot of folks really like to ride.

    Cheers!
    It's been a few decades since $pecialized "built" anything.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ChuckUni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Cutting edge always costs, but eventually the tech bennies filter down to the more easily purchased bikes..
    I wouldn't say that a carbon frame is exactly cutting edge for the big S. Sure the MTB thing is a bit newer for them, but the process is the same.

    Gonna go ride my barn made bike then drive my Lincoln Mark III, running roadies and prius' into the ditch.


  54. #54
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,480
    I am all for overbuilt, hydroformed aluminum tubing

  55. #55
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Lynskey had me turned around with new sliders in 2 days.

    Cut off old paragon sliders (bad batch of material), rewelded, rebrushed finish, acid etched new logos and shipped back out same day. Nothing beats dealing with an actual human being on the same side of the earth.

    Try that with a tupperware frame from the walmart of bikemakers.

    btw, got no less than 4 follow-up calls making sure my frame had arrived back safely and I was happy with it.
    But your LBS owner is a human being too, yes? IIRC, did not the Big S have a program where the self detonating Brain shocks were replaced with an overnighted (or PDQ shipped) replacement?

    I agree that a great company like Lynskey is on top of it and you pay for that up front in the cost of the frame. I would expect that kind of treatment. Turner, Niner, etc. That is what makes them successful beyond just making a great product.

    And you had me until the Tupperware/Walmart part which just downgraded you to hater status. Bummer.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  56. #56
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckUni
    I wouldn't say that a carbon frame is exactly cutting edge for the big S. Sure the MTB thing is a bit newer for them, but the process is the same.

    Gonna go ride my barn made bike then drive my Lincoln Mark III, running roadies and prius' into the ditch.

    Not just the frame...sorry, I was not clear. I was also referring to the overall parts list, drivetrain, fork, etc. that speaks to the total bike cost.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  57. #57
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    I got to ride the single speed version of the bike and it handled fine. The BB was nice and stiff wit hsome lat. flex to the rear wheels. The HT area was a bit flexy, but not to the point I would be worried (As long as the frame doen not incure any point loading on the side of the TT or DT.) From a performance stand point I would rate it at a 7/10 based off a short term test ride. I would like to see a lifetime fatiuge test on the frame confirming this high of a scoring.

    My understanding is that Spec. is currently having some difficulty with the molding process on some of the frames. With the price tag you are paying the scrap rate as well for development. Spec. could go with a different mold setup saving quite a bit of coin on both their side and increase margin and the frame would still cost less. From an mfg execution standpoint 4/10.

    Would I shell out $2200 HT or $2800 SS for a frame? Sure I would, but it would not be this frame. Spec. still has a bit of homework before I would consider this bike a viable option for me. Sure some might want a uber light bike for the race circuit, but you also need to figure in reliability.

    Interesting insight. Sounds like you speak from experience. I hope that Spec does not go through the stuff that the GF Superfly did. I am still a bit of a skeptic for carbon on the whole as an MTB frame since I tend to keep bikes for years and I never have been an early adopter type.

    I have been pretty impressed lately with some of the hydroformed alu stuff I have ridden. May be the poor man's CF bikes.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  58. #58
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101

    not a hater

    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    But your LBS owner is a human being too, yes? IIRC, did not the Big S have a program where the self detonating Brain shocks were replaced with an overnighted (or PDQ shipped) replacement?

    I agree that a great company like Lynskey is on top of it and you pay for that up front in the cost of the frame. I would expect that kind of treatment. Turner, Niner, etc. That is what makes them successful beyond just making a great product.

    And you had me until the Tupperware/Walmart part which just downgraded you to hater status. Bummer.
    Just hate the way specialized plays the game.

    Niner has all their bikes made in Taiwan and I rode a Niner before I got my Pro29. Actually my Niner carbon fork will be here tomorrow. I actually think Niner is one of the best bike companies I have ever dealt with.

    What I don't like about specialized, as do a good portion of people, is their business practices. They seemed to have modeled it after walmart, which is where I have a problem with them. Aside from their shoes and saddles, I choose not to own anything they pay someone to produce for them, just a personal choice.

  59. #59
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Just hate the way specialized plays the game.

    Niner has all their bikes made in Taiwan and I rode a Niner before I got my Pro29. Actually my Niner carbon fork will be here tomorrow. I actually think Niner is one of the best bike companies I have ever dealt with.

    What I don't like about specialized, as do a good portion of people, is their business practices. They seemed to have modeled it after walmart, which is where I have a problem with them. Aside from their shoes and saddles, I choose not to own anything they produce, just a personal choice.
    Ah, I misread the Walmart part...I was thinking Wallmart level bike quality. Sorry 'bout that. Yeah, I have read that before and frankly I am not really privy to all that drama. If true, it is something that goes against them PR wise, even if only a tiny minority of insiders know and care about it.

    Did not mean to mislabel ya.

    And don't think I am a carbon techy geek...I spend way too much time on a steel SS budget bike for that!
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Just hate the way specialized plays the game.
    What I don't like about specialized, as do a good portion of people, is their business practices. They seemed to have modeled it after walmart, which is where I have a problem with them. Aside from their shoes and saddles, I choose not to own anything they pay someone to produce for them, just a personal choice.
    Why didn't you just say that from the beginning, for instance "I don't care what Specialized makes or how good or bad it might by, my principles and sense of personal intergrity about Specialized Wallmart like business practices will not allow me to ever even entertain the thought of ever owning a Specialized product.......except for saddles and shoes, which aren't made in the US either". That way you wouldn't have had to waste all that time going on about dropouts and tupperware.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  61. #61
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,101
    who said anything about dropouts? I will check with you before I post next time to make sure it's o.k. to post my opinions about $specialized or anything else.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    who said anything about dropouts? I will check with you before I post next time to make sure it's o.k. to post my opinions about $specialized or anything else.
    I stand corrected, it was sliders and tupperware, not drop outs and tupperware. Also no need to check with me, although it's a nice thought, thank you very much.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  63. #63
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,223
    Damn nice machine there...
    Brought to you by rocks.

  64. #64
    Plastic homer
    Reputation: Moval49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin
    I stand corrected, it was sliders and tupperware, not drop outs and tupperware. Also no need to check with me, although it's a nice thought, thank you very much.

    So, anyway, congrats on finding the carbon of your dreams - know you have been looking for awhile - my SF100 is due in 2 weeks. Just in time to ride after the cast comes off.

    Again, anxious to see your build

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    It's been a few decades since $pecialized "built" anything.
    That's why I put the "have" in parenthesis. Meaning they don't build anything themselves they "have" everything built for them. That wasn't clear but that's what was meant.

    As for their business practices, I assume you're referring to their tendency to litigation to protect their intellectual property and whether they actually came up with the ideas behind that intellectual property in the first place (or not). Well, I've read up on that a bit and IMHO they are playing the game of business. Yes, sometimes it's not a nice game and people and smaller business get hurt but in the end it's an example of business as usual in the capitalistic society we live in.

    I'm not saying you have to like them for it but nobody should be surprised by it either.

    What? No more pics?

    My LBS has one and I took it around the block a bit. It's too small and riding it on the sidewalk wasn't a very good test of it's true capabilities but it is one very cool looking bicycle!

    Cheers!

  66. #66
    Plastic homer
    Reputation: Moval49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    The Big S has a right to charge what it needs to make this type of product and not only survive, but profit and flourish. The consumer will decide in the end.

    But, really, this bike is pretty amazing to ride, soul or not, and is the current cutting edge along with other ones like the Niner CF bike. Cutting edge always costs, but eventually the tech bennies filter down to the more easily purchased bikes. Maybe even to your buddies 'handmade in a barn behind his solar powered house, next to the organic garden and the biodiesel car parking'.

    And, by the way, I love handmade steel bikes and have owned a few in my time...built in a barn as well. I just don't have the Che Guevara attitude toward big companies/capitalism that always seems to color these arguments and chest beating.
    Just got this read - excellent.

    Amazing the sh*tstorm you can start by being proud of your new bike here sometimes.

    To add to your point - when the process/design is new, you may have teething problenms. Spec, Fisher, and now Niner, have seen that. You need to be rewarded for taking the risk incumbent in getting out front. Warranty claims ain't cheap, and these 3 builders, among others, have stood there.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Moval49er
    So, anyway, congrats on finding the carbon of your dreams - know you have been looking for awhile - my SF100 is due in 2 weeks. Just in time to ride after the cast comes off.

    Again, anxious to see your build
    Thanks, I'm kinda in the same boat as you (Large deep hematoma, left quad = of my bike for two to three more weeks) so I have plenty of time to plan my build. I'll be interesting to compare this new build to my Superfly from last year. Good luck and fast healing.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,985
    Just a side note on the frame/construction.

    I have thrashed the living hell out of a 26" version of this bike for the entire year. NO ISSUES (except BB bearings that seized up because i was washing it with high pressure water every day when we were racing back east and then threw it in a big plastic box and there was water inside the frame).

    I am not sponsored. Paid for my own bike. So this is an honest opinion (although obviously biased, my bike kicks @$$!).

    As a side note: I would love to see the demographic on the posters in this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.