satisfied with fsa XC290 wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

satisfied with fsa XC290 wheelset

Is anyone satisfyed with the overall performance of this wheelset?

mtbr member
    They came on my Kona. Haven't had any issues with them.

.RJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Check the spoke tension before you ride them - I had some issues with a wheel that wouldnt stay true and it was ultimately replaced by FSA with a new one.

mtbr member
    Bad experience. I got a set this summer when I built up a 2008 Rip9 frame I picked up from peeBay. They went out of true pretty quickly and were difficult to keep true. Then, while climbing a rocky trail, I was daydreaming and hit a tall rock. When I got up, I was surprised to see a very wavy front wheel. This was a very low speed hit. I managed to bend the wheel straight enough to clear the fork legs and limp home, but the wheel was toast. Still riding the rear, but I've had to true it several times. I'm a non-aggressive 180lb XC rider. My new Flows will arrive Monday. I'll keep the 290 and the replacement front wheel to wear my studded tires in the winter.

For smooth trails the 290s might be ok, but I think you can do a lot better for the $450 to $550 they usually go for. I'd also recommend to anyone who has them to have the tension checked. I suspect the biggest problem with my wheels was a crappy build by FSA.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

.RJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    I suspect the biggest problem with my wheels was a crappy build by FSA.
    Definitely. The parts are good - double butted spokes, eylets on the rims, decent width - but with the spoke tension all over the place there's no way they'd hold up.

Members who have read this thread: 0