Santa Cruz Highball vs Scott Scale (2019)- Mtbr.com
    Hyperlite3009
    Dec 2018

Santa Cruz Highball vs Scott Scale (2019)

Hi everyone,
    Looking for some advice/comparisons. I am in the market for a new hardtail 29er. I have my final two options narrowed down to the Scott Scale and the Santa Cruz Highball. Obviously the build kits make a difference but was looking at both models at the $3000+ range. Has anybody ridden either/both? I live in west Michigan so I ride a lot of XC trails/races.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If you are planning to use a dropper, I would recommend the Scott Scale. If not, I prefer the Highball. Highball uses a 27.2 seat post, which has few reliable dropper options. Scale uses 31.6, has more reliable dropper options. Both are great bikes, I prefer the Santa Cruz brand due to resale and customer service.

Ibis DV9 with the XC build is the best of both worlds. Great customer service and room for 31.6 dropper, but the geo is a little different from the other 2 bikes you are looking at. Worth a look. Good luck with the shopping.
    Yeti SB6c
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Team
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    @Hyperlite3009 what did you come up with? am on the same boat as you are. time to upgrade my 2012 Superfly. im leaning towards the HIGHBALL but have also read good things about the IBIS DV9.

looking forward to seeing your bike build especially if you decide on the HIGHBALL.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Hyperlite3009
    Dec 2018
    I went with the highball and am VERY happy with it. I’ve already broken every PR on all of the trails I’ve ridden so far this year. It’s fast! Not me. 🤪 The main reasoning for this was the local bike shop actually. The SC dealer is so informative and helpful and even gave me a 10% discount on the bike. The Ibis dealer focused on making me spend more money on a full suspension bike and the Scott dealer acted like I should be honored to be looking at bikes in his shop. The “you need me more than I need you” mentality didn’t work for me. I’m sure all of these bikes are incredible, but in the end, the one that was friendly, informative, and knowledgeable enough to ask ME questions won my business. Good luck with your search!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperlite3009 View Post
    I went with the highball and am VERY happy with it. I’ve already broken every PR on all of the trails I’ve ridden so far this year. It’s fast! Not me. 🤪 The main reasoning for this was the local bike shop actually. The SC dealer is so informative and helpful and even gave me a 10% discount on the bike. The Ibis dealer focused on making me spend more money on a full suspension bike and the Scott dealer acted like I should be honored to be looking at bikes in his shop. The “you need me more than I need you” mentality didn’t work for me. I’m sure all of these bikes are incredible, but in the end, the one that was friendly, informative, and knowledgeable enough to ask ME questions won my business. Good luck with your search!
    Nice! any chance you'd share your build parts? looking at SC HB frames right now and just exploring how im going to build it.. e.g. lefty vs. regular fork.. thanks.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperlite3009 View Post
    The Ibis dealer focused on making me spend more money on a full suspension bike and the Scott dealer acted like I should be honored to be looking at bikes in his shop. The “you need me more than I need you” mentality didn’t work for me.
    ...and they wonder why local bike shops are going out of business.