Salsa Spearfish?- Mtbr.com
    NedwannaB

Salsa Spearfish?

Anyone have some experience with this frame? Good review in DR. Read their site discription of being geared towards endurance/epic rides.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There are several reviews on the Spearfish, just google Salsa Spearfish reviews. They all say pretty much the same thing. Bang for the buck, endurance machine, no noticeable pedal bob, ... They all say they wish the suspension was more plush. The frame weight is pretty nice for a aluminum fs frame. I got one just waiting on the parts to show up. 918xc was very helpful to me. One of the guys said he sold his Tallboy for one and does not regret it at all. In a couple of weeks I will be able to tell you what I think of it.

NedwannaB
    Yah thanx it seems set for my type of riding. Have to get to supplier and lock in an order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Salsa Spearfish

I've been riding a Niner Sir9 for 3 years. Got a Spearfish frame a few months back and just got it built up as a 1X9. Rode my 20 mile loop two days in a row. Fantastic ride, why I didn't do it sooner I don't know. The shock is high volume and just enough to temper the rough spots. Not much pedal bob at all. I also really like the PF30/BB30 compared to my old shimano BB. Also I was really impressed with the agility even with longer chainstays. Railing around the corners with no problem.

NedwannaB
    All these replays are sealing the deal. Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Spearfish geometry

I spent the day riding my brother's Vassago Jabber Wocky and felt like I was sitting very upright (my personal bikes are 26" cross country race machines). Anyone with a Spearfish feel upright compared to other rides. Ideally I'd like to get a Spearfish frame and build it to my taste. Is it possible to get somewhat of an aggressive feel but not as aggressive as 26" race rides?
    Hillslayer
    --------------------------------------------------
    "What man is a man who does not make the world better?"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hillslayer View Post
    I spent the day riding my brother's Vassago Jabber Wocky and felt like I was sitting very upright (my personal bikes are 26" cross country race machines). Anyone with a Spearfish feel upright compared to other rides. Ideally I'd like to get a Spearfish frame and build it to my taste. Is it possible to get somewhat of an aggressive feel but not as aggressive as 26" race rides?
    That's what I was shooting for on my Spearfish, so went with zero stack & flipped the stem on a large frame (I'm 6'2"). I tried it for a few rides with 6deg stem 'up', but prefer hands a bit lower so flipped it. Overall, Spearfish is lower & racier than my previous 26" BMC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Final get mine together and rode it. Large frame (20") without pedals 26.32 lbs/ with pedals 27.08 lbs. Pretty nice felt lighter than that on the trail. Just came off a HT, so it took a little getting use to. After a couple of miles I was good to go. I hit alot of rock gardens and rough terrain. After 20 miles I still felt fresh.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nocnypatrol.org
    Hi

Just read that U R riding L sized spearfish, how is Ur inseam, I'm the same height and interested in buying salsas frame
    Hi, nocny...my post count is too low to respond to your pm , so had to post on the big board...

I'm 34" 'pants' inseam & setup with 31.5" from top of saddle to middle of bb. You'll probably want the saddle back a bit...my saddle tip is about 4" behind bb center, so make sure saddle and seatpost can accommodate. Maybe a layback or at least some post with offset.

Stack height - I was forced to slam mine bc used fork came with barely enough steerer tube to work. But, I like it. Maybe mess around with spacers until you get it where you like it, then cut later. My stem is 110mm 6deg and it's perfect.

For reference, a few years ago I tried an XL sized Niner EMD but felt it was too big so switched to a large Niner Air9 (better fit...but ht beat on me!). As a rule, I'd rather stretch a frame (stem/seatpost) than shorten one & I found this especially true on a 29er.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    the flexing (pivotless) aluminum seat/chainstay weldment gives me the willys. Hopefully Salsa did the math on the fatigue life of the rear triangle...

NedwannaB
    Your thoughts (in speculation or in the industry related) with this rr triangle design given I'm a rather lite rider (in body weight and riding finesse) ??

Thx in advance-jmac

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    the flexing (pivotless) aluminum seat/chainstay weldment gives me the willys. Hopefully Salsa did the math on the fatigue life of the rear triangle...
    It's not the first time that design's been used...and Salsa stands behind their stuff.

They had a pretty extensive post on here under an older Spearfish thread, about how they carefully selected, spec'd and utilized a specific alloy, knowing it would be used in that position.

In no way criticizing the poster quoted, but I think all of the fuss about the rear triangle is funny. We use metal alloy springs all over the place...airplanes, cars, trucks, springs on some bikes, etc. This is an application with comparatively limited deflection involved, using an alloy selected for the purpose. It really doesn't scare me. No, what scares me is the prospect of facing my wife after buying another bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    Umm the Spearfish has a pivot point, does not use a flexplate...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moeman View Post

Correct, but there is no pivot at the chain stay/ seat stay juncture, the seat stays flex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Spearfish?-frame_spearfish4.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by moeman View Post
    Ummmmm, no.

From the Salsa website:
    "The EV6 aluminum frame is low weight and uses a pivot-minimizing suspension design. Removing the rear pivot helps keep chassis weight down, while also reducing complexity and maintenance."

Or check out the pics at:
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/spearfish/

AZ
    banned
    One more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Spearfish?-frame_spearfish.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    It's not the first time that design's been used...and Salsa stands behind their stuff.

They had a pretty extensive post on here under an older Spearfish thread, about how they carefully selected, spec'd and utilized a specific alloy, knowing it would be used in that position.

In no way criticizing the poster quoted, but I think all of the fuss about the rear triangle is funny. We use metal alloy springs all over the place...airplanes, cars, trucks, springs on some bikes, etc. This is an application with comparatively limited deflection involved, using an alloy selected for the purpose. It really doesn't scare me. No, what scares me is the prospect of facing my wife after buying another bike.
    I did look through some threads on this site and couldn't find that one, do you have a link?

This design has been used before, it is the first time I have seen it used in aluminum.

mtbr member
    Sorry, Just glanced at the picture at first(looked like it had a pivot), Now that I have been reading the specs.... I stand corrected!
    I'm going to have to go to my LBS and play with one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If anyone finds a shop with a large please respond to this thread. My LBS owner called Salsa and they said they don't even know when frames or bikes will be available. There's a medium on ebay and an XL on mtbr.classifieds (complete demo bike). I called 918XC and they only have a small and an XL complete bike. A brilliant way to keep demand high is to make a dozen and not offer anymore.
    Hillslayer
    --------------------------------------------------
    "What man is a man who does not make the world better?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My local shop has a medium, I'm deciding between that, a hifi, the moto 2k, or waiting on the new Scott.

NedwannaB

Didn't read the fine print

Quote Originally Posted by melonp View Post
    Got a Spearfish frame a few months back and just got it built up as a 1X9
    My HT29r that I will be replacing this with is currently set up with an e-13/Hive 32t SS crankset and was thinking on using it w/ a 11-36 1x9 cassete for this build! Not sure yet if I want to limit myself to what routes that I run that have some substantial climbing involved, as I also have an XTR triple available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They call it the "Spearfish" (I live there), but it was obviously designed by folk who live in Minnesota. Bottom bracket is too low, great "flat-land" bike for the price, though. If you appreciate a nice hardtail you will appreciate the way the Spearfish rides, the suspension is plenty plush for its intended purpose. After much deliberation and several test rides I pulled the trigger on a Jet9 instead.

NedwannaB
    Now you got my attention. The shop I frequent pushes predominitely Niner, along with others. Since I assume you did some research, how did the bb height compare to the Jet? And what about the Tallboy? I noticed a few pedal/ring strikes on a partners during a ride recently.

Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Jet has a really tall BB compared to the Spearfish, probably something like 1/3-1/2" higher. I am generally a pretty tidy rider but after the 4 or 5 hour mark when fatigue is setting in I find myself bashing pedals into things, so the higher bb seems beneficial. I demo'd both M and L Jet9's before ordering a Large (build underway) and did not personally feel that the higher bb lent itself to any form of instability vs other bikes with a lower bb, and I had to back-pedal less on common obstacles (rocks/logs/etc). So all in all the BB height of the Niner helped to sell me on the bike, it's tall, but not too tall.

I can't comment on the Tallboy, but I can on the Hifi and Epic29. The BB height on these is about equal to the other, both are a bit higher than the Spearfish, both are lower than the Niner.

To be perfectly honest I really liked all 4 of these, it would be hard for me to choose any one over the other based on geometry or suspension performance alone, but the Spearfish was definitely bottom of the list due to the too-low BB height.

That said, I know several local riders on Spearfishes who are very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Personally I wouldn't say the BB is too low...I run the Spearfish with an 80MM fork and have no problems with pedal strikes. That said, I can agree with the statements above:

-Great value FS (PF30, tapered HT, unique but effective pedaling platform).
    -Nice geometry (very comfortable).
    -Well built (stiff front triangle).

On top of that you get Salsa's great customer service/warranty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Why is this bike being advertised as an endurance/24 hour type bike. What makes it better for long distance, vs short distance racing. I am looking for a bike to race, typically 10-12 mile races for now until I get better personally. Don't have a ton of cash to go crazy on a bike, but this fits my price point. It would seem with the short rear travel, it would be similar to a hardtail. I like how the bike comes with the arch wheels which are easy to setup tubeless, and for the most part an x9 build.

NedwannaB

My initial thoughts too

Quote Originally Posted by dbmartin View Post
    Why is this bike being advertised as an endurance/24 hour type bike. What makes it better for long distance, vs short distance racing
    The only thing I can come up with their description of the rr triangle "pivotless" design lends itself to more efficient pedaling over longer time in the saddle. I'd think this would also benefit the shorter events that you mention aswell given the "HT like" stiffness. And with a descent build spec it seems like the weight would be pretty compatible with bike twice its price point. Let's face it, a FS 29r @ 26-27lbs would be a pretty good sled for the majority of us weekend warriors!!

Now if I could only get confirmation back on availability for ordering one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

Now if I could only get confirmation back on availability for ordering one!
    Good luck. next batch should be here very soon. I preordered a medium frame-only 2 months ago. ETA is this week... maybee.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmartin View Post
    Why is this bike being advertised as an endurance/24 hour type bike. What makes it better for long distance, vs short distance racing. I am looking for a bike to race, typically 10-12 mile races for now until I get better personally. Don't have a ton of cash to go crazy on a bike, but this fits my price point. It would seem with the short rear travel, it would be similar to a hardtail. I like how the bike comes with the arch wheels which are easy to setup tubeless, and for the most part an x9 build.
    Geometry. I've ridden a Tallboy, which I liked a lot, a Jet9, Anthem X and an EPIC, while each were great bikes I felt the most comfortable on the Spearfish. The handling is quick enough for short races but favors endurance racing, while the stiff front triangle, efficient pedaling and longish wheelbase help smooth out descents.

NedwannaB
    Just heard there's a small available. Now to squaek out the funds form my dwindling unemployeed account......

NedwannaB
    Nyoce!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought my Spearfish from 918XC in April and have around 750 miles on it so far. I've been very happy with the frame as well as the Monarch rear shock. I was thinking about doing the Fox RP 23 upgrade, but I've been more than happy with the stock Monarch. I can't add much else that hasn't already been heaped on the Spearfish in praise. This was my first double-squish and I was concerned about pedal bob, but it's virtually non-existant.

I purchased the bike for my first LT-100 and it performed even better than expected on a three day pre-ride in Leadville two weeks ago. It climbs like a mountain goat, descends with precision, and really pedals out well on the flats. It's most definitely well-suited for epics and endurance events, but will work great on your average 2 hour race over varied terrain as well. For this race, I still wouldn't mind having a 24 small chainring to keep the r's up a little higher on the sustained climbs.

I've set mine up with an FSA stem, Salsa carbon low rise bars, Thomson seat post and running Geax AKA's tubeless and it's a really great set up for just about any terrain, though the AKA's seem to struggle at times over loose dusty pebbly climbs.

I'm not overly fond of the x7/x9 drive train and we eventually replaced the x7 front deraileur with an X0. I've also got a bad tendency when I do fall to fall to the right which means I probably go through more rear hangers than the average MTB'er. That said, I do think the hanger is a bit tender as I've had it tweak even pushing the bike over rocky sections of trail. I don't see other complaints on line about it, so I will assume I abuse mine a little harder than most

For the money, you simply cannot beat the Spearfish. As far as a competent bike shop, you can't go wrong with 918XC, they've been great to me and helped me out with some flukey driveline issues when I first got the bike. I don't think those are problems inherent in the design, I think we just got a whacked front deraileur.

And, FYI, Cycles Of Life in Leadville had a Spearfish frame in stock two weeks ago, not sure the size if anyone is looking for one in stock somewhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan71 View Post
    I bought my Spearfish from 918XC in April and have around 750 miles on it so far. I've been very happy with the frame as well as the Monarch rear shock. I was thinking about doing the Fox RP 23 upgrade, but I've been more than happy with the stock Monarch.
    You are much better off sending the Monarch to get custom tuned then to replace it, even if the replacement is the excellent RP23. Pushed Industries (shock shop) has told me that they feel the Monarch series is on par with the RP23 with the added bonus of the Rockshox design having more room inside for customization.

I have a friend who bought a Spearfish about 6 months ago, he loves it and I can testify that he has instantly been riding faster up and down. I can't really give an opinion about the bike because it's set up for a rider thats 6'6", my feet can barely touch the pedals at 5'10".

Keep on Rockin...
    This would likely be my next bike if not for the BB30. Selling a frame at this price you think Salsa would be aiming at riders with parts they already have - I've got like 6 regular BB cranksets around. (I still don't care for the weighty jimmy-rigging adaptors for to convert the BB30 to a regular BB.) I hope they make a standard BB model.

Love low BBs btw, and pivotless stays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know the reasoning behind the prevalence of the BB30? I like the threaded ones so I can service my own BB. Is it a cost issue or something more efficient in the design?

NedwannaB
    Awesome info. Thx. Wow LT100 nice! Don't think my epics will be as epic as that but nice to know the machine is good for it.

I just reviewed an email from supplier saying they still have the small frame, so I'm putting in the order tomorrow. I both rode and raced my scandium ht ss today and as much as I enjoy the acceleration, my 54 yo body says I'm ready for the addition of some cushion in the back end....for my hacienda!!

mtbr member
    From Salsa's site
    The Spearfish frame is designed for a Press-Fit BB30 bottom bracket. Press-Fit BB30 is different from BB30. For Press-Fit, the bearings are captured in seperate cups, which are then pressed into the frame. This greatly simplifies the requirements and manufacturing of the BB shell compared to what is required for a standard BB30 system. The end result is all the benefits of a BB30 system, without the tight tolerance and higher cost associated with machining a BB shell for standard BB30. This is one of the reasons we chose to use PFBB30 on the Spearfish. The other reason is that BB30 bearings allow you to run either BB30 cranks, or any 24mm straight spindle-type crank (Shimano, RaceFace, FSA MegaEXO) via reducer cups.

small member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I still don't care for the weighty jimmy-rigging adaptors for to convert the BB30 to a regular BB.
    44g is "weighty"?!?
    just blow your nose once more before riding and here go your 44g...

Keep on Rockin...

Ok...

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    44g is "weighty"?!?
    just blow your nose once more before riding and here go your 44g...
    Fair e 'nuff.

NedwannaB
    Anyone have a pic of what the cranks look like installed with the PFB30 "adaptor thangy"? And which type is best (if multiple)? I will be either using a e-13/Hive single ring or 960 XTR triple.

And does this let you adjust the rotation of cranks within the shell like a coventional install? Or does it center it in shell? Seeing some comments on "low" bb hieghts and pedal strikes got me thinking youo could raise it.

Much appreciated thx.
    Last edited by JMac47; 07-21-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: brain fart

mtbr member
    Anyone have a pic of what the cranks look like installed with the PFB30 "adaptor thangy"? And which type is best (if multiple)? I will be either using a e-13/Hive single ring or 960 XTR triple.

And does this let you adjust the rotation of cranks within the shell like a coventional install? Or does it center it in shell? Seeing some comments on "low" bb hieghts and pedal strikes got me thinking youo could raise it.

Much appreciated thx.
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/build...earfish_frame/

mtbr member

Much appreciated thx.
    e-13 is already a 30mm spindle so you shouldn't need the cup adapter. I haven't seen pictures of one installed directly in a BB30/PF30 setup but it's supposed to be possible

As for the adapters I'm pretty sure they are centered. There are some trick BB30 EBB adapters out there but they require a method to clamp down in whatever position you choose, and these don't have anything like that

NedwannaB
    Thx hudnut for refreshing my memory.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    looks sweet to me

mtbr member
    What up Fellas? I been eyeing the spearfish for several months now and have my mind made up. It will be my next ride. I have riden nothing but HTs, so this looks like it would be a good 1st softail for my stable. I live hear in Tucson AZ and all the LBSs that cary Salsas, have the spearfish on back orders. It seems like they are never gonna come in. @Hillslayer - I saw that frame on ebay and was thinking about it. I thought about getting the frame and moving my parts over from my Fuji Tahoe Pro, which I upgraded over time (X9/X7, LX Crank, Juicy 5, Reba, stans Crest) and getting the reducers for my fork and crankset. However, it makes sence just to get the complete build that Salsa is offering. This way I get the tapered fork and BB30 cranks. Plus I love my Fuji HT. It is a Fuji Frame, but that thing rides nice. The geo is dead on, like the low top tube, handling, comfort, etc.. Its a nice bike.. I have a 09 GF Rig SS. I have to say, if my Fuji was an SS too, I would ride this more than the GF. Anyhow, back to the spearfish (my bad). Yeah, I want this bike but I think I should hold off on getting the full build. This way I can keep my HT the way it is and probably save $$. Hopefully, they will be in next month. Although, I been hearing this month after month, haha.
    @MelonP - You say you built yours up as a 1x9. What did you go with for your cranks, rear der, and shifter. If I were to get the frameset, I would definitely go this route. I would be fine with a 32 up front and a 11-32 in the back. It would be fun to build up the frame, but I don't if if I can build her up with some good components and stay under $2200.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the ordering process. I ordered one in December and just got it this past weekend. I think 918XC.com has some in stock.

Only one short ride on it so far so no comments on how it rides yet. Other than to say I did not notice much pedal bob. I'm pretty stoked to get the miles logged on this thing. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

I think you're on the right track getting the complete build. It's a solid build for the price. I like the PF30 and tapered fork at this price point. I wish it had a thru axle fork but you can't have everything I suppose.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    MCJ, Check back with your Salsa dealer sooner rather than later. I talked to my local dealer a couple of weeks ago and they also had a batch on back order, both framesets and complete bikes. They thought they might see a few framsets come in this week but, to everyones surprise, they got frames and complete bikes.

mtbr member
    @ianick - Yeah, that is sick looking.. For sure my next bike and all reveiws I stumble into, 90%-95% postive. Man, I checked that 918xc site and it looks like they do have a medium. $2499, whew.. They are going up, haha. @bob12676- I just called my LBS and they say, "like they been saying", haha, they should be in next week. They even hiked up the price to 2249 plus tax. They were selling them for $2050 earlier this year. This is an f***ing steal and a half for those who picked them up then. Heck, if I get a good deal on a tapered fork, I might just get the frameset and go with a 9 speed setup. This way I don't have to worry about a wheelset. I can just use my ztr crests/11-32 cassette for both bikes. I will keep you all posted man.. Hopefully the frames come in next week.

mtbr member
    Well Fellas, I went with the frame. My frame should be here on Monday the 1st. I got a good deal on that frame and I couldn't pass it up. I went ahead and ordered the Medium frame on Ebay. $900 to my doorstep with no taxes.. The full build would have been nice, but either way, it is a spearfish. So, it is all good. I also ordered a sram press fit30 bearing set. I definitely want to mount some BB30 cranks on this badboy. I was reading in another thread that they built up their spearfish with the PF30 and some FSA Comet cranks. I thought this didn't play nice (according to the salsa site). Do any of you have experiance with using the PF30 and FSA bb30 afterburner cranks on this frame? Also, are there any other headset options besides the Cane Creek ZS, Cris King TaperedIn, or FSA Orbit? Once I get the headset and cranks options taken care of, I can start to order all my parts.

mtbr member
    Well, a solution was given to me by another user on this forum. (Thanks Hudnut) I would post the the link, but I can't post links since I don't have enought posting yet. He got his FSA cranks to work by taking off the sheild ring off of the PF30 bearing set. After this, the FSA crankset mounted with ease. So, I will give this a try as well. Also, he went with the FSA Orbit headset. I will most likely go this route too for the headset.

mtbr member
    Here's the thread on my spearfish build. There's some lessons learned in there as well that are worth a look if you're building up from a frame.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=727113

mtbr member
    My LBS had one medium frame in stock and I'm picking it up this Saturday. Getting a fork from a friend and piecing together a build kit around X0 and Hope/Crest wheelset. I'm pretty excited to start the build!

Will post my progress, thanks to those who have already given advice.

Also, I heard from Scott at 918xc.com that the next shipments of complete bikes will start shipping next week. The orange and black (2012) models come out later this fall and Salsa is supposed to have a few different build kit options with those (including a model with a thru axle).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just lost a long post due to connectivity issues, grrr!

How would you guys say that a Spearfish descends compared to a 120mm 26inch wheeled bike with a 69.5deg head angle?

My 6'4" brother-in-law, a strong climber but cagey descender, is looking for a new bike that still climbs well but might improve his descending confidence. His technical skills are reasonably good, but breaking his arm twice within a year has made him more cautious on the descents. He's considering longer travel 26ers, and 100mm or so 29ers. He's got a target weight of 28lbs, and a budget of around $3K.

Will the bigger wheels and lower center of gravity of the Spearfish make up for the lost travel? He's ridden a medium alloy Tallboy and said he felt the increased stability immediately. What do you think, will the Spearfish get the job done?
    Last edited by rmccully; 07-29-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    On a medium alloy Tallboy at 6'4"? A proper fitting Spearfish would be worlds better in the stability department.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    The spearfish was actually one of my very few choices when i was in the process of upgrading the wife's 29er. Not only was it affordable, received great reviews, the geometry was kick ass and was destined for xc fastness. Unfortunately, i got outbid on ebay and ended up with a choice i preferred for my wife which is a Rocky Mountain altitude 29er. Since she is already fast, i thought that a more aggressive bike would far benefit her.

Good luck man!

NedwannaB
    You sure that ebay story wasn't a cover up to give you a handicap because she "is" faster??
    Jk I'm sure you don't need one since you're riding that SS 29r!!

NedwannaB
    What's wrong with the alloy tallboy?? Besides not being carbon and all that.

davidcarson48
    What's wrong with the alloy tallboy?? Besides not being carbon and all that.
    Nothing. The issue was a guy who is 6'4" on a medium anything.

NedwannaB
    Right. That will do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Nothing. The issue was a guy who is 6'4" on a medium anything.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. He had a chance to ride a friends medium bike, and despite the bad fit, the bike felt very stable to him. I'm sure the correct size would feel even better.

NedwannaB

heh..heh..

Quote Originally Posted by rmccully View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. He had a chance to ride a friends medium bike, and despite the bad fit, the bike felt very stable to him. I'm sure the correct size would feel even better.
    Yah, size is relevant! One of my ride buddies is 6'-6" on a XXL Turner Sultan. I'm 5'-6" on a small 26r. You can imagine what we look like spinning down the trails together. :0

NedwannaB
    My Spearfish HASN'T landed.....but will by next Tuesday! Woohoo

NedwannaB

Ahhhhh......

Anyone have some experience with this frame?

Thanks in advance.
    Finally........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Spearfish?-spearfish_frame.jpg  

mtbr member
    congrats. the smalls look slick without the seat tube support.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Congratulations keep us updated on your build.

mtbr member
    Congrats Jmac. Cool, curious to see how it looks all built up with that fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My bad @mjc_n_tucson, you asked me a question and I've been off the forum ever since! I built mine up with XO RD and shifter, an XTR 11x34 cassette and a KMC 10xl chain. My front chainring is a 34. For cranks I ended up getting a new take off from a fellow poster on here - a SRAM carbon BB30 that came off of a new specialized EVO epic which comes as a 1x10 and he wanted 2x10. I'm pretty sure it is a sram xo crank set up 1X9. It was $150! Truth be told, I love the crank and it seems smooth and efficient. However, I think this primarily because the bottom brackett is new and smooth. If I didn't get that deal I would be using my XTs with the adapter. I'm quite convinced the difference would not be that noticeable to me.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Spearfish but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. It's my first FS bike so I'm curious about how different it will be riding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Tire clearance?

Salsa says that Spearfish has room for 2.25" rear tire. How much space there is left with 2.25? I'm just curious because I'm considering to buy the frame and I currently have 2.35" Rampages in stock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i just finished my spearfish build today.r/s reba, xt shifters and derailers,raceface cranks and stem,hylix cf bars,hays stroker trail brakes,ringle blackflag pro wheels(tubless) geax sugaro tires,easton ea50 post w/ wtb race something seat.This bike seems to rip I havent been offroad yet but around town rippin it off everything in sight has me super happy.Its light stiff and i dont feel any pedal bob.ill be offroad this sunday and will know more then but for now i give it two thumbs up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TuomasR View Post
    Salsa says that Spearfish has room for 2.25" rear tire. How much space there is left with 2.25? I'm just curious because I'm considering to buy the frame and I currently have 2.35" Rampages in stock.
    Had an Ardent 2.4 hanging on the wall so I mounted it up on the stock wheel out of curiosity to see if it would fit. Looks good to me. The last two pics are from the bottom of chainstays if it isn't obvious. The ardent is only a little wider, but it is a lot taller than a Rampage.

I've got three rides on this bike, all being different types of trails, I love it. Its exactly what I was looking for (and exactly as Salsa designed it to be), efficient pedal'er and a firm ride. I'm also impressed by the Monarch R shock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    first ride impression ia fu##in awsome.we rode chinacamp today which is nice narrow flowing singletrack with some pretty rutted dh sections near the top.The climbing and traction were awsome and the dh felt like i had a ton more rear squish than i do.i did get two pretty good pedal strikes (low bb)but nothing i couldnt pedal out of. i was with two guys on 26 all mountain rigs and a guy on a kona hei hei and stayed off the front for alot of the day,normally im eating the a/m guys dust.Did i mention i love this bike it just made my ht go up for sale.one change im gonna make is to replace my tried and true hays stoppers with the new xt brakes just cus theyre soo sic

mtbr member
    I am going to get one eventually, looking at these sitting all pretty at work all day hurts, gotta get one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Had an Ardent 2.4 hanging on the wall so I mounted it up on the stock wheel out of curiosity to see if it would fit. Looks good to me. The last two pics are from the bottom of chainstays if it isn't obvious. The ardent is only a little wider, but it is a lot taller than a Rampage.

I've got three rides on this bike, all being different types of trails, I love it. Its exactly what I was looking for (and exactly as Salsa designed it to be), efficient pedal'er and a firm ride. I'm also impressed by the Monarch R shock.
    Thanks! It looks like there much more room than in my On-One Scandal and it also adds versatility of the bike quite nicely. I'm looking for efficient machine because my current home trails are quite XC but I ride more difficult trails too.

mtbr member
    What up Fellas?

Hey, just wanted to know if any of you spearfish owners out there are running into clearance issues on those techy rocky areas. I know the spearfish has a pretty low BB, so I just wanted to know how you all were handling it. I am running some 175mm cranks and my crank are gets smacked around pretty good. I find, timing the pedal stroke helps on those narrow rocky sections. However, sometimes, I will get caught and BAM, to the side I go, haha. Mainly on those techy rocky narrow climbs with higher rocks. Is it possible that I am hitting the trails that this bike is not designed for?? Or is it a learning process.. I have about 130 miles on the bike thus far (my 1st fs 9er). My hardtails (especially my 9er SS) have a higher sitting BB and I can get over those narrow rocky climbs more confidently on them. (This is in no way shape or form taking any thing a way from my Spearfish. I love that bike. There are many things that bike can do that my HTs cannot.) Your guy's thoughts..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc_n_tucson View Post
    Hey, just wanted to know if any of you spearfish owners out there are running into clearance issues on those techy rocky areas.
    I wanted a Spearfish, this is the biggest reason I did not buy one. My tentative solution (I was going to be purchasing a bare frame) was to use the new Problem Solvers BB30 EBB ( Problem Solvers ) "Straight-up" with a 24mm spindle crankset. This would have raised the effective BB height almost 1/3". Seems like an expensive hack, though...

NedwannaB

Not following your logic here...

Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    I wanted a Spearfish, this is the biggest reason I did not buy one. My tentative solution (I was going to be purchasing a bare frame) was to use the new Problem Solvers BB30 EBB ( Problem Solvers ) "Straight-up" with a 24mm spindle crankset. This would have raised the effective BB height almost 1/3". Seems like an expensive hack, though...
    First of all it's not a Rip9 or some other longer travel, decending type bike, it's an 80mm xc machine. And thinking that a 1/3" is really going to change things doesn't quite make sense to me. Given that the SF has minial bob, even a light rider with a smooth spin (such as myself) could possibly notice some more pedal contact than usual on certain sections of a regular trail route.

I think what the issue mjc_ may be having is mainly going from a ht to fs as he mentioned, where you obviously wouldn't have any compression to lower the bb height. Especially coming from the ss where you're usually up off the seat for the most part while climbing.

Just my $.05 worth.

just ride
    I think what the issue mjc_ may be having is mainly going from a ht to fs as he mentioned, where you obviously wouldn't have any compression to lower the bb height.
    Hey guys -

Just to clear up a little misconception here - using the adapter does not change the BB height. BB height is measured to the center of the crank spindle. Since the adapter is on-center, and not eccentric, it does not change this at all. The cranks remain centered in the exact same spot, just on a smaller diameter spindle.

Tim
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    And thinking that a 1/3" is really going to change things doesn't quite make sense to me.
    1/3" is quite significant, whether it makes sense to you or not.

Always Learning
    You can get that 1/3 of an inch rise via choosing larger volume tires.

NedwannaB
    Zactly! And/or shorter cranks to gain another 1/3" too...

AZ
    banned
    One third of an inch?

NedwannaB

Same thinking here

Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Hey guys -

using the adapter does not change the BB height. BB height is measured to the center of the crank spindle. Since the adapter is on-center, and not eccentric, it does not change this at all. The cranks remain centered in the exact same spot, just on a smaller diameter spindle.

Tim
    Right. The adaptors to my Shimano 24mm spindles is centered. Unless the PS link given was for an "ECCPFBB30" bottom bracket shell?? (I didn't check it but thought I saw ecc in there?...) That would seem odd and have to be pretty thin on the short side of the offset bearing though.....

NedwannaB

Not significant really

Going from 175-170 cranks (strictly a comparison, drop 5mm off your current length, not to be taken significantly) would give you a little more breathing room over the rocks too! Besides with the several hundred $$ saved on buying this frame vs another you could invest in quite a few new parts anyway.

NedwannaB

What do you mean??

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    One third of an inch?
    That's HUGE!! it's somewheres between 1/4" and 1/2" you know.

mtbr member
    Right. The adaptors to my Shimano 24mm spindles is centered. Unless the PS link given was for an "ECCPFBB30" bottom bracket shell?? (I didn't check it but thought I saw ecc in there?...) That would seem odd and have to be pretty thin on the short side of the offset bearing though.....
    Yep, it's eccentric and doesn't look so thin as to be a problem. Beer Components has been making a very similar BB30 version for a while now

NedwannaB

Daaaaang!

Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Yep, it's eccentric and doesn't look so thin as to be a problem. Beer Components has been making a very similar BB30 version for a while now
    Thx boomn! I should have got one of those for my SF build, I'm suffering lots of pedal strikes in the chunky stuff lately. D'OH!

My setup is quasi-trail/xc for now. Need to get a lighter wheelset. Not sure I want/veed the dropper post and riser bars either but she's up and running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Spearfish?-2011-10-13-18.33.44.jpg  

Salsa Spearfish?-2011-10-13-18.33.22.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sweet setup Jmac! Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I think I will look at getting a 170mm crank next year. This will help out a little. On the narrow, rocky decents where I have to cut through those higher rocks, I am fine since I don't have to pedal, haha. I can set my feet and glid through. That is what I like about this bike. It just cuts with precision. Pedaling up that stuff is a different story, haha. Like you said, it is a XC machine.. Not an all mountain stomper, haha. I am sure it can be done though.. With practice of course.. Little by little, I am getting better on that bike.. Heck I been riding HTs for over 3 years..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Going from 175-170 cranks (strictly a comparison, drop 5mm off your current length, not to be taken significantly) would give you a little more breathing room over the rocks too! Besides with the several hundred $$ saved on buying this frame vs another you could invest in quite a few new parts anyway.
    You jest, but I run 170mm cranks at 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Between that, large volume tires _and_ raising the effective bb height, the Spearfish would have a live-able, if low, bottom bracket height for me.

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know the Spearfish is supposed to be an efficient pedaling bike, but what I'm wondering is how stiff it is. Are any of you guys over 200 lbs? I weight about 220 and I'm looking more at hardtails right now but the SF looks really interesting. I'm just concerned that it would feel kind of mushy in high speed turns and what kind of strength the bb area has.

NedwannaB

Rear does look spindly

Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    I know the Spearfish is supposed to be an efficient pedaling bike, but what I'm wondering is how stiff it is. Are any of you guys over 200 lbs? I weight about 220 and I'm looking more at hardtails right now but the SF looks really interesting. I'm just concerned that it would feel kind of mushy in high speed turns and what kind of strength the bb area has.
    The rear triangle I mean! And I can't speak on rider weight (140# here....) plenty stiff for me but I'm sure you could dial in the rr shock some to stiffen it up abit. Or send it to get Pushed. The tire setup play a little "roll" in the mushy feel aswell.

mtbr member
    265 lbs kitted up. Bike is solid, unlike my previously owned HeiHei that always felt like I had a flat. The 'fish rails on everything that I have ridden, which include the fast flowing trails of Allegrippis @ Lake Raystown. Most of the trails near my house are tight techy singletrack and I feel that the bike does great there too. I cracked my Dos Niner and recieved my Spearfish as a replacement and was really on the fence if I wanted to go back to FS. I replaced the aforementioned HeiHei w/ a Big Mama, but found that it was just more travel than I was looking for at the time. Which lead me to the Dos. The Spearfish truly is a do it all bike, I was concerned that the Rock Shox can didn't have a lock out as the Fox shocks did on all of my other FS bikes. I set the sag and the rear shock has been amazing. I am using 90% of the travel as the o-ring shows post ride. I could probably drop the psi a few more lbs, but I really like the "feel" of the bike when I climb or come out of the saddle and it flat out rips on the drops! If you are worried about stiffness why not get the '12 SF1 that uses a 12mm thru axle, that will definitely stiffen things up.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's good to hear! I was reading a post from another SF rider who was reporting the front der./ chain rubbing when pushing big gears so this has me concerned. I wonder though if it could have been his rear wheel not being solid enough?

What kind of wheelset are you running? I had also though about waiting for the 12' SF1 to get the bigger rear axle but the truth is I've never ridden a bike with anything other than a QR rear so I don't really know what the difference feels like. I do run 20mm in the front though and I think it's a very noticable difference from a QR.

Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench View Post
    265 lbs kitted up. Bike is solid, unlike my previously owned HeiHei that always felt like I had a flat. The 'fish rails on everything that I have ridden, which include the fast flowing trails of Allegrippis @ Lake Raystown. Most of the trails near my house are tight techy singletrack and I feel that the bike does great there too. I cracked my Dos Niner and recieved my Spearfish as a replacement and was really on the fence if I wanted to go back to FS. I replaced the aforementioned HeiHei w/ a Big Mama, but found that it was just more travel than I was looking for at the time. Which lead me to the Dos. The Spearfish truly is a do it all bike, I was concerned that the Rock Shox can didn't have a lock out as the Fox shocks did on all of my other FS bikes. I set the sag and the rear shock has been amazing. I am using 90% of the travel as the o-ring shows post ride. I could probably drop the psi a few more lbs, but I really like the "feel" of the bike when I climb or come out of the saddle and it flat out rips on the drops! If you are worried about stiffness why not get the '12 SF1 that uses a 12mm thru axle, that will definitely stiffen things up.

mtbr member
    I have not experienced any chain rub. My build is a fairly generic one: XT 10spd drivetrain, Hope/Flow wheels, old Reba SL, Salsa ste/bars/post, Nobby Nic f/Michelin XC AT r. I will say that the Stan's rims are the stiffest that I have ever ridden and find them to be outstanding.
    As I said, I am very happy w/ the bike as is, but if given the opportunity I would swap my swing arm for the thru-axle version. Why? Why not have the stiffest option available and I like the function of the thru-axle design. Hoping to pick up a 15mm maxle lite fork for the front and then I wll turn my focus to the rear. Another thought on the BB flex, while my conditioning is lacking, I have plenty of torque in my legs(not bragging, just left over lineman legs from my football days) and do not notice any discernable flex. The aforementioned flex may be an adjustment issue. I am running 9spd rings w/ a 10spd frt derail and chain that I had to play w/ a good bit to get where I liked it. I broke a chain and used a 9spd link on my 10spd chain to get home and I had the slightest rub to give an idea of how close things are. Swapped the 9spd link for a 10spd and everything was all quiet. I have a 10spd XT ring to swap in, just haven't felt the need til this one wears some.

mtbr member
    That's good to hear! I was reading a post from another SF rider who was reporting the front der./ chain rubbing when pushing big gears so this has me concerned. I wonder though if it could have been his rear wheel not being solid enough?
    I remember reading that thread and have a very hard time believing it was frame flex. Besides, that was just someones "theory".

I shared your same concerns before getting my SF, but at 170lb, I haven't noticed any frame flex what so ever. As previously mentioned, tire/rim combo is going to play a big part. I highly recommend the Velocity P35 rim if you want to run high volume tires. They aren't much heavier than Flows but they are a lot wider and this makes a big difference in how the tire handles.

NedwannaB

My only regret

I was reading a post from another SF rider who was reporting the front der./ chain rubbing
    Is putting a triple crankset on. It's a budget build and I had an 960 xtr so that went on. Running XO twistgrips which is good to be able to trim side chain rub, but really would have wanted a double. Have some up/down chain slap issues on front der, wether in small/middle rings, but mainly small. Looks like I could drop the der down abit which will lower the bottom guide plate enuff to ease up on the noise maybe. Just buggs me to know end coming from an SS and 1x9 rig!!

mtbr member
    I'm running the newest XT 9spd crank w/ the third ring replaced by a Salsa bash with the XT triple shifter from a 9spd set and managed to adjust the rub out. I totally dig my SS and it's quiet trail manners, but I am getting old and long days require a little more give. Have been seriously considering a Lenz Milk Money for my next build.

mtbr member
    I'm running the newest XT 9spd crank w/ the third ring replaced by a Salsa bash with the XT triple shifter from a 9spd set and managed to adjust the rub out. I totally dig my SS and it's quiet trail manners, but I am getting old and long days require a little more give. Have been seriously considering a Lenz Milk Money for my next build.
    It wouldn't be too hard to convert your Spearfish to an FS SS I have only one ride so far on my RIP9SS but so far so good and definitely fun!

mtbr member
    @boomn
    That's a pretty cool set-up. I would more than likely keep the Spearfish geared and do the MM as my dedicated SS. What can I say, I like options. I tell my friends that don't understand "mt biking" that bikes are like golf clubs, one for every occassion!

mtbr member
    @boomn
    That's a pretty cool set-up. I would more than likely keep the Spearfish geared and do the MM as my dedicated SS. What can I say, I like options. I tell my friends that don't understand "mt biking" that bikes are like golf clubs, one for every occassion!
    Thanks! I was satisfied with one bike for years. Oh how little I knew about how much nicer it is not to make setup compromises to try to cover too many uses with one bike.

mtbr member
    Salsa/factory build Spearfish comment - I love the stock wheels. Bought a pair for my 29 build from a person that upgraded the wheelset while brand new. I know this was a frame up build post, but anybody reading and looking at the full build, dont let the wheelset change your mind.

NedwannaB

Stock?

Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Salsa/factory build Spearfish comment - I love the stock wheels. Bought a pair for my 29 build from a person that upgraded the wheelset while brand new. I know this was a frame up build post, but anybody reading and looking at the full build, dont let the wheelset change your mind.
    Weren't they X9's?? Even X7 at the stock build pricepoint wouldn't be a deal killer anyway.

NedwannaB

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    It wouldn't be too hard to convert your Spearfish to an FS SS
    Thinking the same thing here. Someone replied to me about running theirs SS in one of the SF threads on here. Have to do some re-search and find it.

NedwannaB

Got me thinking on this now...

I have not experienced any chain rub. My build is a fairly generic one: XT 10spd drivetrain, Hope/Flow wheels, old Reba SL, Salsa ste/bars/post, Nobby Nic f/Michelin XC AT r. I will say that the Stan's rims are the stiffest that I have ever ridden and find them to be outstanding.
    As I said, I am very happy w/ the bike as is, but if given the opportunity I would swap my swing arm for the thru-axle version. Why? Why not have the stiffest option available and I like the function of the thru-axle design. Hoping to pick up a 15mm maxle lite fork for the front and then I wll turn my focus to the rear. Another thought on the BB flex, while my conditioning is lacking, I have plenty of torque in my legs(not bragging, just left over lineman legs from my football days) and do not notice any discernable flex. The aforementioned flex may be an adjustment issue. I am running 9spd rings w/ a 10spd frt derail and chain that I had to play w/ a good bit to get where I liked it. I broke a chain and used a 9spd link on my 10spd chain to get home and I had the slightest rub to give an idea of how close things are. Swapped the 9spd link for a 10spd and everything was all quiet. I have a 10spd XT ring to swap in, just haven't felt the need til this one wears some.
    I'm wondering if my lbs put a 10spd front der on instead of a 9spd which is what coponents I have. Maybe that's the issue. Hmmm

mtbr member
    Weren't they X9's?? Even X7 at the stock build pricepoint wouldn't be a deal killer anyway.
    They are formula hubs on arch rims, DT comp spokes, DT brass nipples. Not the lightest, but work really good for the price I payed.

I'm with stupid
    What are these weighing in at for you guys? Im thinking about picking up a frame and swapping parts over from my AL. hardtail, my back does not like the beating on longer rides (20 mile plus)

mtbr member
    My large stock build with DT240/Flow wheels weighs in at 26.1 lbs
    Last edited by ianick; 10-28-2011 at 06:50 AM.

NedwannaB

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    My stock build with DT240/Flow wheels weighs in at 26.1 lbs
    My small frame w/XTR cranks/pedals,XO twgrp shifters/discs,X9 der's,Reba Team w/rem lo,KS seat dropper,WTB Devo seat,stainless st h2o cage came in at 27.1#'s. I put it together using my old CX Maivc disc wheelset w/Wht Ind rr hub/pretty light Hayes somethin-somethin frt hub. Must be the seat dropper. I know they're the cats meow now but going to switch that out as I rode with it a couple times and with a reg post and don't think I'll benifit with the xtra weight. Guess then it's only down to getting some Maxxis Ikon's and ZTR/Crest wheelset now to get it down to around 25#'s.

mtbr member
    Large frame w/ Reba SL, XT 10sp & XT hydro brakes, Hope/Flows, Nobby Nic/Michelin AT and Salsa bars, stem and post. Also have SPDs Weighs 27.3 on the shop scale. Probably could shave a bit going w/ a newer fork, carbon bars/post and a lighter saddle. Probably going to swap the rear Michelin for a Racing Ralph.

mtbr member
    I love this bike! Went from a Kona Kikapu to a 29er Kona Unit 1x9 to a Big Mama and finally landed on the Spearfish. This bike almost feels like it pedals itself on the climbs, yet still remains stable on descents and at speed. Very impressed... I'm sure I'll be keeping this bike for years to come.

- Salsa Spearfish (medium)
    - RockShox Reba RL, 100mm, 20mm Maxle
    - SRAM X0 build kit, 2x10 26/39 front, 11-36 rear
    - Hope Pro II hubs, Stan's Crest rims, DT spokes
    - Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph 2.25", Snakeskin, tubeless
    - Easton EC70 carbon seatpost and bar

Weight as shown: 25.5 pounds

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoak View Post
    I love this bike! Went from a Kona Kikapu to a 29er Kona Unit 1x9 to a Big Mama and finally landed on the Spearfish. This bike almost feels like it pedals itself on the climbs, yet still remains stable on descents and at speed. Very impressed... I'm sure I'll be keeping this bike for years to come.

- Salsa Spearfish (medium)
    - RockShox Reba RL, 100mm, 20mm Maxle
    - SRAM X0 build kit, 2x10 26/39 front, 11-36 rear
    - Hope Pro II hubs, Stan's Crest rims, DT spokes
    - Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph 2.25", Snakeskin, tubeless
    - Easton EC70 carbon seatpost and bar

Weight as shown: 25.5 pounds
    I like your style.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike thanks for the pics, that's very close to the build I would do on that frame, likely that's my next bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    mine comes in at 27.3 its a med xt 3/9 shifters/der xt brakes w/ice rotors raceface cranks reba fork, ringle blackflag pro wheels,geax sugaro tires(tubeless) raceface stem carbon bars spd pedals easton ea50 post wtb pure v seat.I'm about 220# and this bike rips

NedwannaB
    Okay we have quite a few great builds on here, now I'm interested in some input on a couple components, and why:

Flat bars vs low risers?

2x vs 3x?

So let's here 'em!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Okay we have quite a few great builds on here, now I'm interested in some input on a couple components, and why:

Flat bars vs low risers?
    Can't help you here, I'm running Carnegies,.

2x vs 3x?
    3x, for two reasons: one, I'm fifty, a downhiller, and I live and ride in Colorado. Two, I had picked up a triple off Chainlove for cheap, so that's what I had to build with.

AZ
    banned

Flat bars vs low risers?

2x vs 3x?

So let's here 'em!

2 x for sprint distance and if you have the horse power, 3 x for endurance distance, flat bars to minimize the weight. That's the plan for me at any rate.

mtbr member
    I like the 2x10 for simplicity, but made sure I went with the smallest small ring of the options available. The 26x36 gear isn't much different than the 22x34 I had on my old bike. I also rarely used my big ring on my 3x9 unless on pavement and I don't miss it at all.

I live in southern California and typical weekend rides have 4k-6k climbing, not uncommon to push 8k or 10k climb. The gearing hasn't been an issue, but I am young (27) and have the legs. I just picked up some bikepacking gear so we'll see how it holds up when carrying more weight.

I went with flat bars because they're comfy and have more space for mounting stuff. They're also light, but that wasn't a driving factor for me.

Also, in case it helps. I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam and ride a medium Spearfish. Using a setback seatpost (10mm offset) and a 70mm stem. Handles great and fits like a glove... instantly felt comfortable on my first ride. This bike also stays very stable when riding no handed (to/from trailhead), I took that to be a good sign of overall handling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoak View Post
    I just picked up some bikepacking gear so we'll see how it holds up when carrying more weight.
    Did you get a frame bag? I've been toying with making one for my Spearfish but I haven't gotten around to it yet.Got any pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Area45 View Post
    Did you get a frame bag? I've been toying with making one for my Spearfish but I haven't gotten around to it yet.Got any pics?
    I have a Sling, Viscacha, and Feedbag from Revelate Designs. I'm still not quite sure how well the Sling will work with my mess of housing/cables. My goal is to not use a framebag but rather fit everything in my 22-liter Osprey pack and possibly add a Gas Tank from Revelate (he is sold out right now).

No pics right now but when I get everything set up, will post some.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    anyone know the service procedure on the frame pivots?the online manual blows it tells me nothing other than how to use a qr. i kinda wanna know bearing size and torque spec

mtbr member
    May 2011
    anyone?

NedwannaB

Salsa site?

Quote Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
    anyone?
    Hey did you try getting it from the guy on the Spearfish build forum? Just wondering.

mtbr member
    fast540, email Salsa directly. I asked them a bunch of questions before I bought mine, and they were very helpful and responsive.

mtbr member
    Any more updates on these since the 2012's have come out? Looking at a 2012 SF 2 factory build what weight can I expect? The 27lbs the factory sites? Is that with the wheels setup tubeless?

AOK
    mtbr member