Salsa Spearfish #1 or #2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Salsa Spearfish #1 or #2

OK, I have a $3500 budget for a nw 29" XC bike. I had decided on a Salsa Spearfish #1, but my LBS cannot get one until May. I would rather not wait that long.

#1 Frame sets are available. One option would be to build up a #1, but I am not sure how far my $3500 will go.

Another option will be to pick up a #2 and spend the extra $800 on upgrades. What should I upgrade to get the best bang for my buck?

Thanks for your help!!

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    That might be an option, but only after I exhaust all the possibilities through my LBS.

AZ
    banned
    Okay my two cents, probably worth a penny. If you shop carefully and find some smokin deals you could build up a frame, but how long do you want this to take? Waiting out some deals could stretch a build out several months, especially when trying to come in on budget.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you cant spec it out the same or better. I would wait till may. Will be here before you know it.. That black ano looks amazing!

NedwannaB
    $3500? Is that what the price is for a #1, or your max budget? I would think you could pick up the frame and build for less, or a better spec for the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    $3500? Is that what the price is for a #1, or your max budget? I would think you could pick up the frame and build for less, or a better spec for the same.
    That is the price for the #1, and it is also my max budget.

mtbr member
    OK, well how about some help specing out a $3500.00 Spearfish #1 build?

Spearfish #1 Frame and Shock: $1399.00

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Your LBS should be able to source a complete XT level build kit from one of their vendors (QBP, etc.). and keep you at or near the same price with maybe even some better components than would come from Salsa.

Have you just asked the question: Hey LBS, I want this bike and don't want to wait till May, is there any other route you can take that will make us both happy?

Worth a shot, anyway.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Your LBS should be able to source a complete XT level build kit from one of their vendors (QBP, etc.). and keep you at or near the same price with maybe even some better components than would come from Salsa.

Have you just asked the question: Hey LBS, I want this bike and don't want to wait till May, is there any other route you can take that will make us both happy?

Worth a shot, anyway.
    I have to give it up to my LBS....because that is exactly what they offered up to do since the #1 was not available.

just ride
    Assuming your shop keeps the same pricing structure, to build the Spearfish 1 through QBP would be $4580 at retail. We dress it up nicely in all of our finest parts such as carbon bars and seatpost, Ti-bolt stem, DT Swiss star-ratchet hubs, X.0.

I am not sure which shop you deal with, but if you want to have them phone in on Monday for a more accurate ETA, we can help. None of the Spearfish 1s should be as late as May, unless there are some odd circumstances for that order.

If you really do want to try though, here is the spec list for the Spearfish 1.

Frameset
    Frame Spearfish, EV-6 Aluminum Alloy
    Shock Fox Float RP2 Boost Valve, Custom Tuned for Spearfish
    Color Speedy Black Anodized
    Weight S = 26.2 lbs (11890 grams), M = 26.4 lbs (11970 grams), L = 26.6 lbs (12070 grams), XL = 26.9 lbs (12190 grams)
    Drivetrain
    Crankset SRAM X9, 26/39T, PressFit 30, SM = 170mm, MD, LG, XL = 175mm
    Chainring SRAM 26/39T
    Bottom Bracket SRAM PressFit 30
    Chain KMC X10
    Cassette SRAM PG-1070, 12-36T
    Front Derailleur SRAM X7, 2x10, High Clamp, Dual Pull
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X0, 10-Speed, Mid Cage, Red
    Components
    Fork Fox F29 RL, Tapered, QR15, 100mm Travel, Custom for Salsa
    Headset Cane Creek 40-Series, Tapered ZS, Black
    Handlebar Salsa Pro Moto 1 Carbon, 11-Degree Flat, 31.8mm, Black
    Stem Salsa Pro Moto 1, 31.8mm, Black
    Stem Sizes SM = 90mm, MD= 100mm, LG = 110mm, XL = 120mm
    Grips Salsa Juegos de Fuegos
    Front Brake SRAM Elixir 7 Carbon, 180mm, 6-Bolt, HS1 Rotors
    Rear Brake SRAM Elixir 7 Carbon, 160mm, 6-Bolt, HS1 Rotors
    Brake Levers SRAM Elixir 7 w/ Carbon Lever
    Tires Continental X-King 29 x 2.2", Folding Bead
    Front Shifter SRAM X9 Trigger, 2 x 10
    Rear Shifter SRAM X9 Trigger, 10-Speed
    Seatpost Salsa Pro Moto 1 Carbon 31.6mm
    Seatclamp Salsa Lip-Lock, Black
    Saddle WTB Silverado w/ Salsa Logo
    Wheels
    Front Hub DT Swiss 350 6-Bolt Disc, 15mm Thru-Axle
    Rear Hub DT Swiss 350 6-Bolt Disc, 12 x 142mm Thru-Axle w/ Star Ratchet
    Quick Release Front: Fox QR15; Rear: SRAM Maxle 12 x 142mm
    Spokes DT Swiss, Competition, Butted 2.0/1.8, Black
    Nipples DT Swiss, Aluminum, Red
    Rims Stan's Arch 29er, 32H
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Reba RTL Ti from bikewagon: $500
    Black Flag Pro's from modernbike: $450
    Maxxis Ikon's: $120
    XT brakes/rotors: $310
    XT Crank/cassette/chain: $320
    XT shifters/FD/RD: $220
    Bars/Stem/saddle/post/pedal of your choice

Pretty sure that'll meet your budget. All depends on what your LBS can do for you on the XT parts. Bar/stem/post/saddle/pedals can also add up quick if you like fancy stuff.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Thanks for the link. I've been waiting for a while to pick up a 2011 18" Spearfish frame at a discount. Done deal!

Now, I need to keep my eye out for a good deal on a Fox F29 or Rockshox Reba.
    baker

NedwannaB

Got it

Quote Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post
    That is the price for the #1, and it is also my max budget.
    I built up the 1st version green frames (80mm) and was thinking you were comparing to the newer orange version(100mm). I thought the complete green build bikes were around $2600. The 1&2 must be build package options for the new 4" model??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I built up the 1st version green frames (80mm) and was thinking you were comparing to the newer orange version(100mm). I thought the complete green build bikes were around $2600. The 1&2 must be build package options for the new 4" model??
    All Spearfish are 80mm. The new Spearfish #1 has a 142mm rear axle and RP2. The Spearfish #2 has standard 10mm dropouts and Monarch RT3. The original Spearfish has 10mm rear and Monarch R.

just ride
    Yep, no travel change, all Spearfish are still 80mm

One thing to note on the Spearfish 1, the rear shock is the RP2 Boost Valve. That is important because an RP23 or an RP2 Boost Valve are actually the same cost, but when custom tuning the shock for the Spearfish, we felt we had a much greater ride quality out of the RP2 Boost Valve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Assuming your shop keeps the same pricing structure, to build the Spearfish 1 through QBP would be $4580 at retail. We dress it up nicely in all of our finest parts such as carbon bars and seatpost, Ti-bolt stem, DT Swiss star-ratchet hubs, X.0.

I am not sure which shop you deal with, but if you want to have them phone in on Monday for a more accurate ETA, we can help. None of the Spearfish 1s should be as late as May, unless there are some odd circumstances for that order.

If you really do want to try though, here is the spec list for the Spearfish 1.

Frameset
    Frame Spearfish, EV-6 Aluminum Alloy
    Shock Fox Float RP2 Boost Valve, Custom Tuned for Spearfish
    Color Speedy Black Anodized
    Weight S = 26.2 lbs (11890 grams), M = 26.4 lbs (11970 grams), L = 26.6 lbs (12070 grams), XL = 26.9 lbs (12190 grams)
    Drivetrain
    Crankset SRAM X9, 26/39T, PressFit 30, SM = 170mm, MD, LG, XL = 175mm
    Chainring SRAM 26/39T
    Bottom Bracket SRAM PressFit 30
    Chain KMC X10
    Cassette SRAM PG-1070, 12-36T
    Front Derailleur SRAM X7, 2x10, High Clamp, Dual Pull
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X0, 10-Speed, Mid Cage, Red
    Components
    Fork Fox F29 RL, Tapered, QR15, 100mm Travel, Custom for Salsa
    Headset Cane Creek 40-Series, Tapered ZS, Black
    Handlebar Salsa Pro Moto 1 Carbon, 11-Degree Flat, 31.8mm, Black
    Stem Salsa Pro Moto 1, 31.8mm, Black
    Stem Sizes SM = 90mm, MD= 100mm, LG = 110mm, XL = 120mm
    Grips Salsa Juegos de Fuegos
    Front Brake SRAM Elixir 7 Carbon, 180mm, 6-Bolt, HS1 Rotors
    Rear Brake SRAM Elixir 7 Carbon, 160mm, 6-Bolt, HS1 Rotors
    Brake Levers SRAM Elixir 7 w/ Carbon Lever
    Tires Continental X-King 29 x 2.2", Folding Bead
    Front Shifter SRAM X9 Trigger, 2 x 10
    Rear Shifter SRAM X9 Trigger, 10-Speed
    Seatpost Salsa Pro Moto 1 Carbon 31.6mm
    Seatclamp Salsa Lip-Lock, Black
    Saddle WTB Silverado w/ Salsa Logo
    Wheels
    Front Hub DT Swiss 350 6-Bolt Disc, 15mm Thru-Axle
    Rear Hub DT Swiss 350 6-Bolt Disc, 12 x 142mm Thru-Axle w/ Star Ratchet
    Quick Release Front: Fox QR15; Rear: SRAM Maxle 12 x 142mm
    Spokes DT Swiss, Competition, Butted 2.0/1.8, Black
    Nipples DT Swiss, Aluminum, Red
    Rims Stan's Arch 29er, 32H
    PM Sent!!

NedwannaB
    Hmmm, could a swore I read something in a post about 100mm travel. Afterall this is the interweb so I assumed it to be true!

just ride
    Hmmm, could a swore I read something in a post about 100mm travel. Afterall this is the interweb so I assumed it to be true!
    The front has always been designed around 100mm of travel from day 1, so maybe you heard something about that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i got a spear fish 3 and i am swapping out the parts i don't want and i am around 25 lbs

NedwannaB

Yeah know that

Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    The front has always been designed around 100mm of travel from day 1, so maybe you heard something about that.
    Like I posted previously, I have one. For some reason I was thinking I saw it mentioned somewhere and ass-um-ded the '12's went to 100mm in the rr.

Over and done with now as I've been dualy corrected.

mtbr member
    WHAT!
    80mm only?
    BOOOOOOOOO...

Well that narrows my decision to SCOTT Spark 29; I was torn between these two, but with my style of riding and trail preferences 80mm will not do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Good guys... they are local to me

BTW, I like the Spear 1 just based on the color scheme alone.

NedwannaB

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1 View Post
    WHAT!
    80mm only?
    BOOOOOOOOO...

Well that narrows my decision to SCOTT Spark 29; I was torn between these two, but with my style of riding and trail preferences 80mm will not do.
    Well neither one is a DH rig anywayz.....

mtbr member
    i went with the spearfish 2 as i didn't want to wait, don't need a rear thru axle, and have always liked SRAM forks. this is my first Full Suspension and the shops i spoke to said the FOX and Monarch are very comparable. only upgrade i felt was absolutely necessary was the shifters. i went with the X9 for like $50 more on an upgrade program the shop offered. Not only am i already riding it i got to keep $800 in my pocket to blow on other crap down the road. once i destroy the wheels and rear derailleur i will go with Charger Pros i use on another bike and an X0 rear.

Candlestick Maker
    It turns out Hammerhead didn't actually have the M 2011 Spearfish frame in stock...

For my purposes, I found a better deal at bikeman.com, a 2011 Spearfish frame, a Cane Creek headset, and a RockShox Reba RL for $1199. Sweet!

Bikeman CC - Salsa Spearfish 29'' Suspension Frame with Reba RL Fork & Cane Creek Headset
    baker

mtbr member
    i want to bring this thread back up because i'm in the same predicament. i am looking for frame only and i don't know how i feel about waitinf for the 1. i don't even know if my c29ssmax's are capable of converting to the maxle, will it really make a huge difference? also how much weight can paint add realistically (not being rhetorical i actually don't know). i kinda want to order by wednesday and i'm completely torn...

shut up legs
    you will still be happy with the 2 or 3
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '17 509 Cycles Jabitt III | '15 Advocate Watchman Ti | '15 Advocate Watchman | '17 Advocate Seldom Seen | '93 Giant ATX 760 | '85 Ross Mt Whitney

mtbr member
    thanks.

weighing the options is difficult

SF1- more money and have to wait longer / better shock, lighter, maxel
    SF2- cheaper and can order now / RS, paint, QR

ahhh!!!

mtbr member
    i was torn between the 1 and 2 and ultimately decided to go with the 2. i have been riding it for three months almost and still would not have had a 1. not having a rear maxle was not at all a worry. i have always used rockshox and am not at all disappointed with my fork or shock. the gate on the rear works well and i weigh 250. the cranks are identical except for the logo. the brakes are essentially the same too and i did upgrade the shifters to X9. i also upgraded the rear to X0 which would have had to happen regardless of the 1 or 2. Bottom line i saved almost $1000 after haggling on price and will have had about five months of extra riding.

mtbr member
    well i'd be going frame only since i have my bike set up right now with Reba RLT and Crossmax's and XT components... i mean with the extra $300 i COULD get a new saddle and stem... hmm...

mtbr member
    yes. i got a call from someone i put a call into thanks to a member of this board. he'll have it in the next couple days and i'll order it from him.

shut up legs
    I see you found a "1"
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '17 509 Cycles Jabitt III | '15 Advocate Watchman Ti | '15 Advocate Watchman | '17 Advocate Seldom Seen | '93 Giant ATX 760 | '85 Ross Mt Whitney

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    hey Coach update us!!...:-)

mtbr member
    taxes in! ordering at around 2:00 today!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    4x4runner,did you get the SF1 frame from Steve at Tonka.

mtbr member
    i got it from nick at Tonka... he worked really hard to find me one and did so in about 3 hours. i have to call back later so i can finish the transaction. i'm also gonna have him install a reducer headset for my straight steerer. absolutely stand up guys and once i receive my frame i will look forward to writing them a stellar review.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think you made the right decision. I rode (and reviewed) both bikes, and the SF 1 had some real advantages.

Spearfish 1 Review

Spearfish 2 Review

mtbr member
    unfortunately i have to call it off... turns out my C29ssmax's are not convertible rear hubs and i just can't justify spending the money on a new wheelset right now. in the future it will happen for sure

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post
    unfortunately i have to call it off... turns out my C29ssmax's are not convertible rear hubs and i just can't justify spending the money on a new wheelset right now. in the future it will happen for sure

You can sell the Mavic's and net almost enough for a set of Stan's.

mtbr member
    yeah but i just feel like that means i spent $800 on a set of stans lol. just hard for me to justify. and i was wayyyyyy over budget on the SF frame (originally was looking to spend $1k)

still not ruling it out. i may have someone interested in my wheelset (a friend)

mtbr member
    I picked up my #1 last Saturday from the great guys at Angry Catfish in Msp.

Got home on Sunday night and took for a quick 10 mile asphalt cruise, adjusting stuff as I went.

Monday night I removed all the spacers below the stem, trimmed the bars an inch, installed my favorite Ergon grips and my seat off my old bike.

Last night was a 20 mile cruise of tar, gravel, two track and some single track. Bike is much more comfortable than before the adjustments. Feels 100% comfortable. Climbs like a goat, without touching a lever. Cleaned it up when I got home.....hoping for another long ride tonight!!

Still getting used to the 2 x 10 gearing.....but will love it once my legs get used to it.

Only negatives so far:

*No 2nd bottle location
    *Bottle cage mounted real low
    *Stock seat sucked

mtbr member
    Other misc notes:

* Fork is buttery smooth compared to my R7 on my Trek.
    * Brakes are awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    didja weigh it??

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    MORE...slightly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grunkster View Post
    didja weigh it??
    They did at the shop. Stock with tubes is the advertised 26.5.

Wonder what your Hi Fi weighs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Coach I see that we live close to each other, I'm up in Ely,and do you do endurance racing.

I got my frame yesterday,and wow it's nice! I almost want to get the headset reducer and tear down the Mamasita and put all the parts on the SF and then I could take the Haro ss that I put gears on and Niner carbon fork and put all that stuff on the Mamasita,just as I'm typing this I know that I'm going to convert one of my rear hubs and get the headset reducer and do it to it. I know I'm going to want the Mamasita for my first race and that's if my shoulder gets better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Coach I see that we live close to each other, I'm up in Ely,and do you do endurance racing.

I got my frame yesterday,and wow it's nice! I almost want to get the headset reducer and tear down the Mamasita and put all the parts on the SF and then I could take the Haro ss that I put gears on and Niner carbon fork and put all that stuff on the Mamasita,just as I'm typing this I know that I'm going to convert one of my rear hubs and get the headset reducer and do it to it. I know I'm going to want the Mamasita for my first race and that's if my shoulder gets better
    I have never done any endurance racing.....but plan to start this year. They run a 5/10 hour out in Bismarck and I plan on the Dakota 5-0. Other than that no plans, but my wife and I have a baby on the way in May so the summer will be plenty busy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Spearfish 1 believer

I just got my Spearfish 1 last friday. What a great looking bike. I have been riding a FS 26r for years and am delighted of the immediate differences a 29r makes.

My only complaint, other than the shop cutting the front brake cable too short (forgot to air up shock), is that Salsa advertised red spoke nipples...and mine are black! As cheesy as it may sound, I was looking forward to red nipples. And, for full retail $3500, I thought the bike should at least come as advertised. I was directed to the bottom of the website page that said, "Specification subject to change without notice."

The shop is going to fix the cable for me but Salsa stuck to their small print (which wasnt so small actually, just at the bottom of the page). They didnt want to even consider a swap because my new wheels are now considered used and my nipple issue was apparently cosmetic.

Hmmm...well, that's a little uncool in my opinion because although this is a minor issue to some, its important to me. When a person spends over $3000 for a bicycle, they should get red nipples if the advertisement and their website picture had red nipples. I like red nipples.

Salsa said they were not going to help but was happy that I love the bike. Well...thanks. I guess. Maybe I should have stuck with Ventana. There is a reason some companies have loyalty programs...and some don't.

JP

mtbr member
    The funny thing is that is the first thing I noticed when I picked up my #1. Just like you it is not a deal breaker......but I was expecting them.

Candlestick Maker
    Get over the nipple color and enjoy the ride... Why let something so cosmetic and trivial taint your enjoyment of the bike?
    baker

mtbr member
    What is cosmetic and trivial to you may not be the same to another........like I said it is not a deal breaker.....but it does suck Salsa advertised it with them and delivered without.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Built up a Spearfish 1 frame and raced the Ouachita Challenge on it. First time doing this race with full suspension. It performed flawlessly and exceeded my expectations on the (many and steep) climbs and even worked well on the gravel road connector sections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There's nothing to get over Baker. I love the bike. I was offering my experience with the product for those trying to make a decision to spend $3500 on this bike. As a businessman and long time mountain biker, the little things I buy for my bike matters, and I am willing to spend the money on it. I agree, it's no big deal...i send you my money, just send me what you advertised.

Like many industries, the high end biking industry relies on customer loyalty by way of satisfaction. It's just bad business to advertise with a description and a picture and then send you something different under the protection of a footnote. If I was spending fifty bucks, I would still be annoyed by it.

I get it that some people don't care about it because it's " cosmetic". Would they feel the same if the color was pink or had a picture of something they find obscene? It's all cosmetic.

I don't regret buying the bike and I recommend buying it for others. I am simply saying to beware of the arguable false advertising. Your saddle may come to you white or purple. But hey, it's only cosmetic so just go ride.

JP

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jppatriot View Post
    Hmmm...well, that's a little uncool in my opinion because although this is a minor issue to some, its important to me. When a person spends over $3000 for a bicycle, they should get red nipples if the advertisement and their website picture had red nipples. I like red nipples.
    TWSS.

Everybody loves red nipples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Everybody loves red nipples.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Candlestick Maker
    I have angered the almighty nipple god!

Seriously, though, I can understand being picky about a bike I build/buy. I just try not to get bummed when things don't work out to plan...
    baker

shut up legs
    he said nipples in my beast Beavis voice........

mtbr member
    Regardless it is a flat out amazing bike...........I cannot believe how well it works........red nipples or not...LOL.

The Duuude, man...
    My SF1 frame is in my possession.

The build parts are coming from all corners of the country.

I can pretty much assure it'll be spanktasticallyaushum.
    FS: Everything

Candlestick Maker
    Regardless it is a flat out amazing bike...........I cannot believe how well it works........red nipples or not...LOL.
    That does look nice! I really do like my Spearfish. Here it is, decked out for some bikepacking...

Loaded up and ready to go by bbaker22, on Flickr
    baker

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01 View Post
    My SF1 frame is in my possession.
    Frame weight?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That bikepacking-Spearfish is smokin' hot!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just wanted to follow up after three weeks of riding the Spearfish 1. Overall, the bike is awesome. I absolutely do not regret buying the 1 over the 2. Even without red nipples, I have to admit that the bike puts a smile on my face everytime I wrap my legs around her.

It took a few rides to get her dialed in to my style of riding and the low bottom bracket takes a little getting use to after hitting objects with your pedals that you do not anticipate on hitting. I figured out that I can run higher air in the rear shock to mitigate this, but it does defeat the purpose a little.

The carbon bar, and seatpost are a very nice touch. The saddle is perfect. The shock and fork are perfect. I like the wheelset, although the super quiet DT Swiss 350s are not that sexy to me. They are so quiet, that I tend to sneak up on people and scare the crap out of them in the middle of the woods. I just may be use to the noise my Mavic Crossmaxs make when I freewheel behind slower riders.

I'm going to give her test at a more advanced area tomorrow in Maryland.

mtbr member

Hey Coach can you veryfy the front rotor size on the SF1 185 or 160?