Salsa Horsethief SLX 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Salsa Horsethief SLX 29

Out of nowhere I came across the Salsa Horsethief SLX 29. Not highend as most but seems like a good value. Long time CC rider (no racing). Older in age now (60) looking for a nice cruisy 29er that can climb yet be forgiving for coming back down. This leads me to a trail bike I think. I see head angle is 68. My last was 71.
    Anyone ride the Salsa? Looks to fit my under $3k limit as well.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just bought the Deore Horsethief, after 20 years riding a CC bike. 61 years old here. I changed the gearing to be more climb-friendly, and Iím just starting to enjoy it after about 10 hours in the saddle. I bought it primarily for bikepacking, but for local trail-riding, too. So far, so good! Thereís another thread I started in this section about the bike.

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/n...r-1104229.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone70 View Post
    Just bought the Deore Horsethief, after 20 years riding a CC bike. 61 years old here. I changed the gearing to be more climb-friendly, and Iím just starting to enjoy it after about 10 hours in the saddle. I bought it primarily for bikepacking, but for local trail-riding, too. So far, so good! Thereís another thread I started in this section about the bike.

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/n...r-1104229.html
    Just saw that thread. Thanks. Looks like we're of similar situations. I'll be 61. Came off a 26" CC bike with 100mm fork. Three. Count them three chain rings (kids today have no idea...). I saw the Salsa at an REI online add of all places. Under $3k for it. Ya, gearing will be a process. I live in Socal where we do have a lot of climbing. But I look forward to a more stable bike overall. I know everyone touts the "demo the bike" mantra. But lets be real: it's hard to find demos around here except on certain brands and models. And usually at the higher price points. Which makes a lot of sense for the expense. I think it will come down to your experience. You ride it. Then you adapt to the bike a bike. That's how it works for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just picked up a Deore Horsethief (also from REI). Replaced the chainring with a 30t, the cassette with a XT 11 speed 12x46, and, XT derailleur, shifter and chain. So for $2650 total (I did the part swap myself) ended up with a nicer bike than the SLX version. Went out for my first ride this evening and I'm very, very pleased. This is going to be a super fun bike. It's going to take a bit to get used to the 'modern' geometry and those wide bars, but I definitely see the potential once I figure it out. Still need to get the wheels converted to tubeless and get the suspension dialed to my liking which will take a bunch of trial and error. Definitely spend some time on the suspension...small changes can make big changes in how the bike feels.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by aerotugpilot View Post
    Just picked up a Deore Horsethief (also from REI). Replaced the chainring with a 30t, the cassette with a XT 11 speed 12x46, and, XT derailleur, shifter and chain. So for $2650 total (I did the part swap myself) ended up with a nicer bike than the SLX version. Went out for my first ride this evening and I'm very, very pleased. This is going to be a super fun bike. It's going to take a bit to get used to the 'modern' geometry and those wide bars, but I definitely see the potential once I figure it out. Still need to get the wheels converted to tubeless and get the suspension dialed to my liking which will take a bunch of trial and error. Definitely spend some time on the suspension...small changes can make big changes in how the bike feels.
    Nice! I did something very similar to my Deore Horsethief. 28 tooth on the front, 11-46 10-speed cassette, tubeless. I actually hated it at first, but itís really growing on me now.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerotugpilot View Post
    Just picked up a Deore Horsethief (also from REI). Replaced the chainring with a 30t, the cassette with a XT 11 speed 12x46, and, XT derailleur, shifter and chain. So for $2650 total (I did the part swap myself) ended up with a nicer bike than the SLX version.
    This has been a strategy Iíve used too, by the bike you want and upgrade components.

I have to say the 11 speed SLX is pretty evolved and imo, cassette and derailleur are worth keeping. My 2018 Niner Rip 9 RDO has full SLX ( got it for sale now though) and if I was gonna keep it the only thing I would change would be brake rotors (XT is still better than SLX rotor) and maybe shifter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    This has been a strategy Iíve used too, by the bike you want and upgrade components.

I have to say the 11 speed SLX is pretty evolved and imo, cassette and derailleur are worth keeping. My 2018 Niner Rip 9 RDO has full SLX ( got it for sale now though) and if I was gonna keep it the only thing I would change would be brake rotors (XT is still better than SLX rotor) and maybe shifter.
    I have friends with SLX and they are fine with them. I'm coming off Sram drailleur and cassette, so new to me. Also new like many of us "old timers" is the single chainring. I could see playing with size there first. Brakes will reveal themselves to me quick I think if I need to change rotor size.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Does anyone know the diameter of the seatpost stanchion on the Horsethief Deore? I want to buy a Wolf Tooth Valais for a seatbag, and it is either 25 or 26 mm in diameter. I don't have the tools to measure it to that accuracy! Thanks.