Salsa Gordo Tubeless- Mtbr.com
    Kosher Princess

Salsa Gordo Tubeless

Is anyone sucessfully running their Gordo's tubeless?

What kind of bike are you using: rigid-singlespeed, full-suspension gearie?

What is your conversion method: ghetto, Stan's?

Which tires are you using, have you tried?

What pressure are you running?

What sort of riding conditions are they setup for, how is it?

Much thanks!

is buachail foighneach me
    i remember a thread where it was described by mikesee. a search might reel the info in.

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    i remember a thread where it was described by mikesee. a search might reel the info in.
    Yes, I've read Mike Curiak's unsuccessful tubeless attempt, but that was quite a time ago. I suspect American ingenuity and tenacity may have overcome his initial difficulties since then. It also seems that Mark Stevenson is indifferent, choosing to only use tubes in his "extensive" review of the Salsa Gordos, but really, that's just lazy or politics or both, him being a so-called Review Guru and all.

Anyways, I figured I'll draw on the MTBR knowledge pool and not just the Gods of MTBR, for shame, of gleaning helpful tips and experiences with running Gordo's tubeless.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Portman
    Yes, I've read Mike Curiak's unsuccessful tubeless attempt, but that was quite a time ago. I suspect American ingenuity and tenacity may have overcome his initial difficulties since then. It also seems that Mark Stevenson is indifferent, choosing to only use tubes in his "extensive" review of the Salsa Gordos, but really, that's just lazy or politics or both, him being a so-called Review Guru and all.

Anyways, I figured I'll draw on the MTBR knowledge pool and not just the Gods of MTBR, for shame, of gleaning helpful tips and experiences with running Gordo's tubeless.
    I don't think GT is indifferent, he's just a realist. You don't need tubeless with the Gordo. I run Flows w/ Stans'ed tires on my Sultan. Good ole tubies on my Gordos/KM rigid. I did put some Caffe Latex in the tubes for some insurance against road debris - but 20 psi on big fat 2.4 Ardent/Gordo is bliss. No need for tubeless w/ the Gordos.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Powered by ice cream.

Much thanks!
    Yes

FS Geary

Stans tape plus goop

Nevegal and Rampage

30psi or so

Big slow rocks, little fast rocks.

Works fine. Occasional burp/sidewall tear.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Thanks!

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I don't think GT is indifferent, he's just a realist. You don't need tubeless with the Gordo. I run Flows w/ Stans'ed tires on my Sultan. Good ole tubies on my Gordos/KM rigid. I did put some Caffe Latex in the tubes for some insurance against road debris - but 20 psi on big fat 2.4 Ardent/Gordo is bliss. No need for tubeless w/ the Gordos.
    I stand corrected, perhaps he's not indifferent, merely biased!!$!

And why don't you "need" tubeless with Gordos?

And why do you "need" tubeless with Flows?

The reason for the potential "need" of tubeless in the Gordos is weight. Gordos on paper are 700 grams whereas Flows are 525 grams. So yeah, there might be a "need" for those who don't want to push any more extra rotational weight than they "need" to.

I'm not fighting, just want facts over feelings, that's all.

Powered by ice cream.
    I need tubeless because I have pinch flatted many times with Gordos/tubes, even with relatively highish pressures. I also live where thorn punctures are a daily occurrence.

I will soon try a Stout and Bontrager FR3 tubeless.

Flows are way better for running stuff tubeless, so if tubeless is your first priority I would not get the Gordos.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Flows are way better for running stuff tubeless, so if tubeless is your first priority I would not get the Gordos.
    So you're saying it's been more difficult setting up the Gordos tubeless than the Flows? I tend to lean towards the ghetto method, which Guitar Ted also hints to for the Gordos.

Tubeless reliability seems to me the biggest factor, with the Flows having an exceptional tubeless track record, and the Gordos well, not having much history yet, but reports like yours are good feedback, and something I'm certain Salsa would also be curious to read, considering other competitors are catching up with similar products.

I'm considering the Gordo's for a rigid-singlespeed trail bike with lots of potential puncture situations. Flows or Gordos, that's tough.

Expert Crasher
    I stand corrected, perhaps he's not indifferent, merely biased!!$!

And why don't you "need" tubeless with Gordos?

And why do you "need" tubeless with Flows?

The reason for the potential "need" of tubeless in the Gordos is weight. Gordos on paper are 700 grams whereas Flows are 525 grams. So yeah, there might be a "need" for those who don't want to push any more extra rotational weight than they "need" to.

I'm not fighting, just want facts over feelings, that's all.
    It seems counter intuitive to get a big fat (aka Gordo) heavy duty rim only to turn around and run a tire tubeless to reduce weight. If you live in goat head nirvana or near thorn city - meh, tubeless has merit. Caffe Latex in the tube is certainly a viable option. To me, that's kind of like that fat guy at Burger King ordering a double Whopper, with the 'go large' option, then choosing "diet coke" at the soda fountain.

If you're looking for tubeless - the Flow works very well. I run those on my Sultan because I wanted the lighter weight and the pluses that come from tubelessness (my own word). I run the Gordo's on my KM to make good use of the big fat rubber and uber-low pressure.

BTW - you don't need tubeless with Flows. It's an option, not a requirement.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    I'm considering the Gordo's for a rigid-singlespeed trail bike with lots of potential puncture situations. Flows or Gordos, that's tough.
    36 hole Flows - will get you some added durability and tubelessness ability.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Much appreciated, thank you!

Powered by ice cream.
    So you're saying it's been more difficult setting up the Gordos tubeless than the Flows?
    Slightly. They don't air up quite as brainlessly and have the occasional burp as noted.

I would personally lean toward Flows for this application.

I run the same front tire on three bikes (two have Flows) and I must say that it seems to hook up much better and track better on the Gordo. Don't know if it is the width, the stiffness, or what, but I feel significantly more in control.

At the speeds I ride a rigid bike, I would be unlikely to burp a Gordo ever. It has only happened to me at high speeds in rock gardens on the 6" bike where I am not particularly choosing a line, just bashing through. The other place I have burped them is on small 2-3 foot drops when my pressures were below 30 psi.

I don't think tubeless with low pressures (20 psi range) would work as well with Gordos as with Flows, and of course, that is just the pressure you want when riding rigid.

Anyway, just thoughts. I weigh 190lbs geared/watered up if that helps.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Great insight, it's all helpful.

The significant in-control feeling you express is kind of a theme with the Gordos. Of course, who wouldn't like that idea? Yeah, burping, that's trouble, but I'm no heavyweight and not know for being a destroyer of parts no matter how I try!

Powered by ice cream.
    Great insight, it's all helpful.

The significant in-control feeling you express is kind of a theme with the Gordos. Of course, who wouldn't like that idea? Yeah, burping, that's trouble, but I'm no heavyweight and not know for being a destroyer of parts no matter how I try!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

You are rather petite, and I'm a big fan

Big Wheel Homer !!
    If wide and tubeless is what your after the new Velocity P35 is what you want. 35mm wide, under 600 grams and ready for tubeless.

Velocity P35

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    If wide and tubeless is what your after the new Velocity P35 is what you want. 35mm wide, under 600 grams and ready for tubeless.

Velocity P35
    Have you converted and ridden this wheel tubeless? How long? What terrain? Thoughts?

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Have you converted and ridden this wheel tubeless? How long? What terrain? Thoughts?
    I don't think it's actually out yet. I'm guessing after I-bike, but I will give them a try as soon as I can my hands on some.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Much thanks!

Yes.

Rigid 6-speed Karate Monkey.

Stan's yellow tape & solution.

Racing Ralph 2.4s

20-25psi

Slowish techy crawling over New England rocks and roots

The rocks here tend to not have sharp edges, so no tears of the thin Ralph sidewalls. No burps, either. But I'm not generally hard on wheels, especially when I'm riding rigid.

I've got Flows on my long-travel 26er FS bike. I had an easier time getting the beads to seal on the Gordos, using only a floor pump.