Salsa El Mariachi TI SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Salsa El Mariachi TI SS

Just went to the local shop carrying Salsa bikes hoping to jump onto a Titanium El Mariachi. They didn't have any in stock, but the owner let me know that the TI version wasn't "as ready" for SS to geared conversion due to the difference in the rear drop out between the standard version and the Titanium. Any tips?

get down!
    Don't get the Ti version if you want to run singlespeed. Go to the Lynskey website and get one of theirs with the sliders instead.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

My opinion

Get the TI Selma. Has the alternator drop out
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

get down!
    ^ ditto, I didn't know they had them

looks like no XL's in stock?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't tell what you are asking? If you want to run gears, don't get the Selma, get the ti El Mariachi. But then even the Selma probably just need a change in the dropout to make it work. If you plan on changing often, get the Selma and a spare geared dropout. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I can't tell what you are asking? If you want to run gears, don't get the Selma, get the ti El Mariachi. But then even the Selma probably just need a change in the dropout to make it work. If you plan on changing often, get the Selma and a spare geared dropout. Make sense?
    No cable guides/stops on Selma.

just ride
    Hey guys -

We intentionally designed two different frames in titanium, as we felt that the titanium buyer was more discerning as to what they wanted.

The frames are almost the same, other than the El Mariachi is for geared setups with a vertical dropout, and the Selma is with Alternator dropouts and no cable stops for derailleurs. Other than that, the two frames are the same.

Tim, Salsa Cycles.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    Hey guys -

We intentionally designed two different frames in titanium, as we felt that the titanium buyer was more discerning as to what they wanted.

The frames are almost the same, other than the El Mariachi is for geared setups with a vertical dropout, and the Selma is with Alternator dropouts and no cable stops for derailleurs. Other than that, the two frames are the same.

Tim, Salsa Cycles.
    That strategy hoses guys that want to run internal gear hubs like Shimano Alfine

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by babylou
    That strategy hoses guys that want to run internal gear hubs like Shimano Alfine
    I understand, as I am a runner of internal gear hubs sometimes as well, but guys like us are a very, very small portion of the market, and we wanted to make the best choice for the greatest amount of people. Even single-speeders outnumber us internal gear hub junkies.

Tim
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by babylou
    You could always just run a full length housing.

Los
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the suggestions. More research to do, but I think you gave me some good leads.

Harrumph
    My .02, consider it market research .

If there were cable guides on the Selma Ti you would already have my money.

Now I'm looking elsewhere for a Ti frame with sliding drops (is Lynskey a bad word when talking directly to a Salsa guy about a Ti Salsa?)
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    I would think not, that is who makes the salsa frames. If thats what you want move on, the salsa guy doesn't care if you don't like the fact that they made a SS specific frame and a geared specific frame.
    Custom Independent Fabrications Ti Deluxe
    Carbon Niner Air 9 SS/rigid
    Carbon Niner Jet 9
    Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc

mtbr member
    All - Thanks for the advice. I found my new baby with the versatility I was looking for. Yeti Big Top. Very happy with the purchase.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by babylou View Post
    If you have almost $2000 for just a frame, I'm pretty sure you can afford to send it off to Lynskey and get some cable stops welded on for a small fee Admittedly, a better solution would be some bolt on cable guides so you could run it cleanly either way you want

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Admittedly, a better solution would be some bolt on cable guides so you could run it cleanly either way you want
    Yes!

I like options. But to be more clear I like my frame to have options, not to have an option to buy a 2nd frame.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm right there with G-reg. I totally understand the offering of specific frames to fit peoples needs, but at the same time, if the frame is exactly the same aside from the alternator dropouts of the Selma, and the cable stops of the Mariachi, why not just throw the alternator drops that Salsa is so proud of, on the El Mariachi....??? One bike, that is capable of both. I, as a single speed fan, don't mind the extra weight of several cable stops, and would like the option to run gears down the road, seeing as titanium bikes are advertised as "lifetime" bikes... and I can't imagine that the geared guys would mind the alternator drops... Seems like a redundant move on their part, and a move that I'm sure has lost customers.
    I for one am now looking at going with a Lynskey for my "budget" intro into titanium. Also looked at the Ragley TD-1, and for now I love the simplicity and idea of a rigid only, but can't say how I'll feel about it in 2 or 5 years...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have to pump some life into this thread...
    I just placed my order for El Mar Ti which is due in Jan, 2012.
    Yet am now considering Selma for SS option. IF my new Salsa Ti frame is to be a lifetime frame, why not have the versatility of SS ?

Can't zip ties keep my cables on? Or have cable stops added?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    Have to pump some life into this thread...
    I just placed my order for El Mar Ti which is due in Jan, 2012.
    Yet am now considering Selma for SS option. IF my new Salsa Ti frame is to be a lifetime frame, why not have the versatility of SS ?

Can't zip ties keep my cables on? Or have cable stops added?
    A friend of mine raced his Selma as a 1x9 this year with the cable housing zip tied to the down tube and chain stay.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I am just the opposite. If I was buying an SS frame, I want it to be an SS frame only, no warts on the face of the frame I will never use.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    I am just the opposite. If I was buying an SS frame, I want it to be an SS frame only, no warts on the face of the frame I will never use.
    You must be crazy. don't you want EVERY bike frame to have options for EVERYTHING - and also be clean and pretty to look at?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    A friend of mine raced his Selma as a 1x9 this year with the cable housing zip tied to the down tube and chain stay.
    Great. so shifting performance isn't compromised at all with a long cable run, I assume ?

Now if only they offered a Selma complete option like the El Mar...

Members who have read this thread: 0