Salsa El Mariachi or Specialized Stumpjumper EVO?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Salsa El Mariachi or Specialized Stumpjumper EVO?

Well...the subject kinda says it all.

I realize that they are two totally different bikes, but I like both and can't really decide....and I also don't have any experience with either bike.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences...good or bad?

I will say that I am really becoming partial to the Salsa because I am a big fan of steel!

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had a 2009 Stumpjumper 29er, tore it down and built up a new El Mariachi 1X9, and have absolutely no regrets. I'm riding chunky Arizona trails and the Salsa IMO is more fun and out performs the SJ in the situations that I put it in. I also have a 26" AM bike, so don't use the Salsa as a do-all, but for XC and light AM it is just fine.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

DG5
    mtbr member
    SALSA
    I love my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Steel or Aluminum....depends on what your body can handle. I have ridden stumps for years and the latest one is the best. That said my body can no longer seem to handle the ride the ht and I am now back on fsr's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a steel 29er HT and a 6" 26er so I would have to tell you get both!

My Ferrous is a great ride. I ride it when I want to keep up with riders that are faster than myself. There's no bob to eat pedal power. My 29er is just feels faster. On the down side there's no real fun time on a HT. If I decide to hit some drops or jumps on the Ferrous I end up back at the truing stand not to mention I get the beat down on impact.

My AC which I'm retiring next season for a Knolly is a plush ride! Longer travel bikes are just more fun.Your butt will thank you if your rides are over 2-3 hours too.

No one can tell what kind of bike you should get. We can only say what bikes have worked for us. If you were asking about two HT's or two AM 29er than maybe people could tell you what they prefer. You need to figure out what type of riding you're on to and buy that bike.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie
    I have a steel 29er HT and a 6" 26er so I would have to tell you get both!

My Ferrous is a great ride. I ride it when I want to keep up with riders that are faster than myself. There's no bob to eat pedal power. My 29er is just feels faster. On the down side there's no real fun time on a HT. If I decide to hit some drops or jumps on the Ferrous I end up back at the truing stand not to mention I get the beat down on impact.

My AC which I'm retiring next season for a Knolly is a plush ride! Longer travel bikes are just more fun.Your butt will thank you if your rides are over 2-3 hours too.

No one can tell what kind of bike you should get. We can only say what bikes have worked for us. If you were asking about two HT's or two AM 29er than maybe people could tell you what they prefer. You need to figure out what type of riding you're on to and buy that bike.
    Thanks man! Both bikes are actually HT's. The main difference in the two is that the Salsa is a 2x10 steel HT and the Specialized is a 1x10 aluminum HT. I've had some experience with Salsa bikes...and it's all been good. However, I've never ridden a Specialized. The EVO looks pretty sweet and I like the setup...but I'm a steel guy and not sure if I want to make the switch.

The more I think about it, I will probably end up with the Salsa....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73
    Thanks man! Both bikes are actually HT's. The main difference in the two is that the Salsa is a 2x10 steel HT and the Specialized is a 1x10 aluminum HT. I've had some experience with Salsa bikes...and it's all been good. However, I've never ridden a Specialized. The EVO looks pretty sweet and I like the setup...but I'm a steel guy and not sure if I want to make the switch.

The more I think about it, I will probably end up with the Salsa....

Ummm... My bad. I just read a review on a Stumpjumper EVO and thought you were talking about the FSR bike.

Go with steel! it's a nicer ride.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Salsa. If you've not ridden a 2x10 yet try it the front shifting will amaze you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Why not the Stumpjumper expert 29er? It's 2x10.

That's the bike I've been zeroing in on. I also have been thinking of building an Air9, but I'm not sure I want to do the build before I figure out what I really need in a bike. I've been riding a Rocky Mountain HT 26 from 2001 and have been thinking of making the switch to the 29 inch club.

People on here seem to not particularly like the Specialized brand. I haven't figured out why.

Also, rumor has it that the new 2011 carbon frames from Specialized are on back-order. Not coming out til late in spring. Anybody else hear about that?

Rider and Wrench
    Go with the Salsa! I have the older model El Mariachi and have had it set up as a 1X9 and SS it rides great and the lively feel of steel is awesome a bike with a very different personality- The specy is a fine bike and they have put a lot of effort into their 29er line but if you already know you prefer steel go with it... Plus the color of the complete El mariachi is sweet.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

lord of my world
    I was waiting for a SJ 29er Carbon Expert, but decided to go with the Salsa instead. Still waiting on some of the parts.

mtbr member
    Check what geometry works for you. The Stumpjumper will run a bit longer in the top tube and head tube for any given frame size, both things I like.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

specialized

Quote Originally Posted by Tupelo
    Also, rumor has it that the new 2011 carbon frames from Specialized are on back-order. Not coming out til late in spring. Anybody else hear about that?

I heard they are on back order also. I can believe that though. From talking with people and gathering information here Specialized carbon 29ers including the S-Works had some kind of flaw to them causing them to crack easily. So it makes sense that it may be taking longer to remedy this issue than Specialized originally expected.

mtbr member
    I like steel but I like specialized's geometry better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykongchamp
    . From talking with people and gathering information here Specialized carbon 29ers including the S-Works had some kind of flaw to them causing them to crack easily. So it makes sense that it may be taking longer to remedy this issue than Specialized originally expected.
    Oh christ...here we go.
    Where did you hear that, Einstien?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My source is a regional Specialized rep, but he did not say what the delay was caused by.

But, regardless, I do like this bike. Sure looks purdy....

mtbr member
    thats easy

salsa all day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykongchamp
    I heard they are on back order also. I can believe that though. From talking with people and gathering information here Specialized carbon 29ers including the S-Works had some kind of flaw to them causing them to crack easily. So it makes sense that it may be taking longer to remedy this issue than Specialized originally expected.
    There has not been an issue with frames cracking. The delay is simply due to manufacturing time frames. From what I am seeing, we should be receiving most of the bikes you have referred to by the end of February or sooner. I would suggest checking with your Specialized dealer for most accurate dates for the specific bike you are looking for...
    Let us know how we can make your riding experience a better one. How may I help you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I recently built up one of the new blue El Mariachis as a rigid single speed. I've been loving it -- every ride is better than the last. I really cannot say a bad thing about the frame. Although it is steel, it does not have as sprightly of a feel as my other steel HT (a Spot Longboard 9). The whole thing has a nice feeling of stiffness and mass to it -- super stable and rock solid. I can't recommend it enough.

I've not ridden the aluminum version of the Stumpjumper. I really can't comment on it, although I've ridden the carbon version. The geometry on the stumpy was certainly more racey than either my Spot or the El Mariachi, with a longer top tube and faster handling. Suprisingly, the carbon wasn't as plush as I expected. If you are looking for a race bike, I'd probably say "go with the stumpjumper." That said, I'd take either of my steel bikes over the carbon stumpjumper anyday...

mtbr member
    I have to say....I think my love of steel bikes and what I have read on here have helped me decide on the Salsa. I do plan to race the bike, but not to the extent that would require a true race bike. I'm more of the "chug a beer at the start line" kind of racer!

Thanks for your help!

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There has not been an issue with frames cracking. The delay is simply due to manufacturing time frames. From what I am seeing, we should be receiving most of the bikes you have referred to by the end of February or sooner. I would suggest checking with your Specialized dealer for most accurate dates for the specific bike you are looking for...
    Thanks Robert. I'll be heading down to my LBS to get one ordered up. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    When faced with a choice... choose both.

That said, I have the mariachi and I love it. I ride it more than I do my hifi pro. I took the gears off though. 1x9 is silly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The new 2x10 complete Mariachis are awesome bikes. Good value too. Ride great. Well spec-ed.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5
    SALSA
    Vote me in for the Salsa too!! I have seven Salsas in my basement, including both steel and Ti El Mariachis. They are the best handling hardtails I've ever ridden, hands down (and I've had a lot of different hardtails over the course of 21 years of riding and racing).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa El Mariachi or Specialized Stumpjumper EVO?-mg_elmti_rn.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    I like bikes

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by pooman320
    thats easy

salsa all day
    Amen brother...
    I like bikes

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73
    I have to say....I think my love of steel bikes and what I have read on here have helped me decide on the Salsa. I do plan to race the bike, but not to the extent that would require a true race bike. I'm more of the "chug a beer at the start line" kind of racer!

Thanks for your help!

Chris
    That's an awesome call... You're gonna' love your new Salsa.

Have fun!

Cheers,
    MG
    I like bikes

Riding and lovin it.
    I ordered the Salsa frame a couple weeks ago and can not wait to build it up.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by captain smoke eater
    I ordered the Salsa frame a couple weeks ago and can not wait to build it up.
    Yeah buddy... You're gonna' be stoked!
    I like bikes

Riding and lovin it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Yeah buddy... You're gonna' be stoked!

The frame came into the lbs last week and the wheels are still in shipping as of last thurs. I should get a update tommorw or begining of next week. Every time I see a trail I just imagin myself riding down it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ordered my stumpy expert 29 back in october, i could have been earning interest on my monies all this time. i have been riding a tarmac for some time now and it was the main reason i decided to go with another specialized. but now im just sad all the time from not getting to ride dirt. all my friends talk about the great rides and times they had out on the trails, but not me cause my bike is way way over due. what gives specialized? should i just go ahead and wait for the 2012?

Members who have read this thread: 0