Salsa dos niner: what should I upgrade next?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Salsa dos niner: what should I upgrade next?

I just bought a 2006 salsa dos niner off of my cousin for $950. Im looking at throwing a little more money into it soon just to make it my own, but the parts spec is actually not bad:

Frame: 2006 salsa dos niner (dark green)
    Fork: rockshox reba race
    wheelset: bontrager race disc
    Headset:Cane creak s2
    Stem: Thompson elite x4
    Bars: truvativ carbon team riser
    Seatpost: Thompson elite layback
    Saddle: Serfas dual density pro
    Seatpost collar: salsa lip lock
    Cranks: xt hollowtech
    chain: sram pc--971
    rear derailleur: shimano xt
    Shifters: sram attack twist grips
    front derailleur: shimano xt
    brakeset: hayes hfx mag
    pedals: shimano 520's
    tires: kenda small block 8's (tomac edition)

The main purpose of this bike will be xc racing on east coast trails (very rocky and technical with a ton of roots) so it has to be durable and light at the same time. Im just looking to see what you guys would change if this was your bike...im not looking for anything in particular, Have a little fun with this one, I would like some unique ideas for it =]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If it were me I would do all Sram XO components.

The Other Dude
    sounds like you got a sweet deal! I have always wanted to ride a dos. It looks like you have a solid build. I am a sram guy, so I would swap to sram x.9 shifters and rd, and then maybe a set of avid elixirs.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

May 2009
    I would ride it untill something gives. Then when its broken. Its yours.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    looks good. off the bat, i'd atleast change the front tire to something more mtn worthy.

the small block 8 barely makes the cut out back....i would never run one up front.

maybe a maxxis ardent, spec eskar or captain, panaracer rampage or sumthing along those lines.
    Last edited by Kam; 02-10-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Former Bike Wrench
    If your not already running tubeless, get the Bontrager rim strips and valves. Then go tubeless (tubeless ready tires are best, but many normal tires are good too)...the list by Kam is a pretty good one and the Specialized Tires come in 2Bliss Ready.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    I would ride it untill something gives. Then when its broken. Its yours.
    +1
    Just ride it. Don't spend anything more until you need to. Upgrade what you need when you need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    agree, the only thing that looks like an immediate step forward is tubeless and other tires. the kenda tires have little traction AND high rolling resistance.

IMO Schwalbe RR for smooth trails and Conti MK for rough one are some safe choices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    First thing I'd do is swap out the saddle for one that my a$$ likes. Anytime I see "Serfas saddle" I think its got to be a boat anchor. I did a quick Google search, but didn't necessarily find anything on it. I'd also take a look at the cassette. IMO, and XT cassette is a good upgrade over say a SRAM 950 or 970 for not too much $$$. And I second (or third) the opinion to ditch the Shimano and go with SRAM for shifters and Derailleurs, but that is personal preference.
    Enjoy the ride!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    I just bought a 2006 salsa dos niner off of my cousin for $950. Im looking at throwing a little more money into it soon just to make it my own, but the parts spec is actually not bad:

Frame: 2006 salsa dos niner (dark green)
    Fork: rockshox reba race
    wheelset: bontrager race disc
    Headset:Cane creak s2
    Stem: Thompson elite x4
    Bars: truvativ carbon team riser
    Seatpost: Thompson elite layback
    Saddle: Serfas dual density pro
    Seatpost collar: salsa lip lock
    Cranks: xt hollowtech
    chain: sram pc--971
    rear derailleur: shimano xt
    Shifters: sram attack twist grips
    front derailleur: shimano xt
    brakeset: hayes hfx mag
    pedals: shimano 520's
    tires: kenda small block 8's (tomac edition)

The main purpose of this bike will be xc racing on east coast trails (very rocky and technical with a ton of roots) so it has to be durable and light at the same time. Im just looking to see what you guys would change if this was your bike...im not looking for anything in particular, Have a little fun with this one, I would like some unique ideas for it =]
    On paper, it looks pretty darn good as it is. A race purpose Dos is easy to get in the 22-23 pound range for all sizes. My XL is at 23 and change.

I would say work on making sure the bike fits you first. Layback seatpost, riser bars, etc.... sounds like your cousin may have been trying to make a smaller frame size up to fit him. A nice narrow XC flat bar for the tight and twisty XC racing may be worth investigating if the steerer tube/spacer/stem combo can dial in the best sweet spot for you. I've found the Dos responds best for me being set up in a good position to really weight the front wheel through the turns. Because of that, I can stick a minimal tread racing tire on the front and rail through most anything. But that's Midwest dirt and terrain. You mention rocks and roots which is going to require a locale condition specific front tire.

If I had to nit-pick, I would dump the Shimano 520 pedals and get a lighter set of race pedals. The 520's weigh about 384g for the pair, but you can get 189 - 210g racing pedals and knock a third of a pound or more off in moving parts. And, of course, race wheels built for your riding weight in the 1500 - 1600g weight range run tubeless is the way to go and probably the single best upgrade if you want to throw some money at it.

Ride it and enjoy it and let us know when you make the move to a full suspension race bike...

BB

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I've seen some guys do ok on 26" wheels with SB8's in the Northeast, but I never had any luck with them. Only good for me on hardpack, and somewhat fragile FME.
    I raced Maxxis Ignitors, Conti Race Kings, and once or twice ran a Kenda Nevegal up front for really messy conditions last year.

mtbr member
    Wheels and tires. Other then that, pretty solid build. Really the current setup isn't horrible, but you would notice a reduction in weight of the wheels, and the tires can be improved upon. Maxxis Aspen or Schwalbe RR would be great choices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the bontrager race wheels 2008 or older have dt swiss onyx hubs and nice rims that run tubeless very well (2007/2008).

an upgrade would mainly save weight but there are much less expensive ways to save weigth. dito for the pedals IMO.

mtbr member
    Personaly I would get new brakes, but I'm a bigger guy if your lighter you might be fine. Other than that ride it until things need replacing.

mtbr member
    I would ditch the grip shifters for triggers. A stans or caffe latex kit would be well worth it if you are running tubes so you can go tubeless.

Sounds like a pretty sweet build though.

mtbr member
    Your frame.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

Caps

Custom valve stem caps. That's what you need. Everybody should have custon valve stem caps. They make your bike go faster...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hike it or Bike it!
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kjconn
    I would ditch the grip shifters for triggers.
    Fail.

Grip shifters are lighter and you can trim the front d. Stick with the attacks.

the flerg
    It's been said, but ditch the saddle, go tubeless, Sram, and flat bars if they fit you. Good deal on the bike I would have paid $960 so your cousin go screwed.
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.

mtbr member

The Dos rocks!

I hope you enjoy your Dos. Last year, I picked up a brand new 2006 that was laying around a shop in Canada. I love mine, and here are a few pics...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    I hope you enjoy your Dos. Last year, I picked up a brand new 2006 that was laying around a shop in Canada. I love mine, and here are a few pics...
    No, really, here are the pics. DOH!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa dos niner: what should I upgrade next?-dos-001.jpg  

Salsa dos niner: what should I upgrade next?-dos-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I dont know big you are but I put a 180mm crank on my dos (im 6'4)and even with my size 13's I have good toe clearance.The next thing I changed out was were the gears, I got a 12-36 on it and after that the headset: Crank Brothers Sage...its a FR headset but at 96g no biggie and a bit stiffer then my old Across AH-06 (and with a 29er ya want all the stiffness you can get up front). Ill probably throw on a pair of WTB Wolverine's but am not yet decided wich tires would give me the best weight/grip ratio,maybe someone has a better idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    As others have already suggested -- focus on the fit first. Swap bars, stem, post, saddle, pedals, grips to get the fit right. Once you're comfy you can turn your attention to more exciting things like wheels or brakes. The XT components are great and I wouldn't replace them unless something breaks.

Members who have read this thread: 0