s.i.r. First Ride Impressions- Mtbr.com
    ICORR - FORC

s.i.r. First Ride Impressions

Was able to get out today for a few hours on my first ride on the Niner. It always takes a few rides to work out the kinks, and I think I need to try a longer stem as I felt a little crowded. I have essentially the same top tube/stem length setup on my Dragon, but this feels a little tighter, maybe due to the taller headtube? Maybe I'll try a 0 rise stem or flat bars. Otherwise the build feels good. Set the Reba up according to the Manual (2006 version) and I'd say that's a great place to start. It may not be dialed in yet, but it works darn well and I had no need to mess with it today, sometime later I'll play a little. I have an 11-32 cassette, but think a 12-34 would be more useful with the taller tires

I went to a local trail I ride several times a week either on 26" HT or FS, some tight technical areas: twisty singletrack, roots, small rocks, short drops, some tight turns immediately followed by short climbs that you can't carry momentum into. It seemed like I had to be a little "punchier" on the pedal for a wheelie drop, but once I had that down I found the wheel came up better than I expected. Had several nice drops at speed where I could get modestly airborne, the Niner feels very balanced in the air. I didn't go for any x-up's, but kinda wanted to (not sure how the 29 wheel will affect the turn, so that will come later). It didn't feel quite as snappy as my Dragon in the twisty sections, but I also think I rode with the same or possibly higher speeds, so that feeling may be deceptive. I expected it would feel sluggish up the short climbs since you can't carry any speed into them, but it really didn't feel different than a 26. Oh, and one thing I noticed for sure - it's definitely smoother than the Dragon, it just rolls. Anyone else here notice that?

Several people have commented about 29 tires throwing rocks. I did notice when riding in areas of fine gravel/course sand there was a constant pinging against the downtube I have never noticed on my Dragon (853 steel as well). Position of the tire, more downtube surface exposed to the tire since it's larger??

I recall someone earlier asking about Niner tire clearance. The last pic is the clearance with Maxxis Ignitor 2.1's, about 5mm from the lugs to the chainstay. The tires measure 52.3mm wide across the lugs, 51mm sidewall at 35 psi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

what a joke
    Good first ride report. I have never noticed the rock throwing thing on my monkey, I do on my 26er though but I think it has more to do with the tires compound and tread pattern then the dia.
    blah blah blah

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Cool report.

Your Sir 9 is sweet.

I think the people who complain about their mountain bikes throwing rocks should stick to road riding.

ICORR - FORC
    (I think the people who complain about their mountain bikes throwing rocks should stick to road riding.)

Heh heh, I wasn't complaining, just following up on other comments. Next time instead of riding to the trail I'll drive there with the s.i.r. and the Dragon and do a rigid double-blind, stringent study so I can develop a totally subjective opinion on "rock-chuckin'".

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by QCRage
    (I think the people who complain about their mountain bikes throwing rocks should stick to road riding.)

Heh heh, I wasn't complaining, just following up on other comments. Next time instead of riding to the trail I'll drive there with the s.i.r. and the Dragon and do a rigid double-blind, stringent study so I can develop a totally subjective opinion on "rock-chuckin'".
    Sweet Sir 9!
    I have most definitely noticed the rock flinging you refer to. I just leave a "crud catcher" on all the time. It really helps. I believe in it so much that I just had Walt install 2 bosses on the underside of my downtube so I can go without the rubber/velcro mounting straps. Very sano. He was already changing my brake guides from slotted to hydro style, and he did this at the same time. Bike is currently in for a sweet powdercoat job- stand by.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    Bike is currently in for a sweet powdercoat job- stand by.

OGG
    Can I guess at the colour?
    Possibly blue?
    Nice looking SIR 9 by the way.
    Enjoy the ride.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by LJintheUK
    Can I guess at the colour?
    Possibly blue?
    Nice looking SIR 9 by the way.
    Whatever gave you that idea?!
    I don't want to hijack this cool thread, but I promise to have my own thread when I have her back from PC.

I would really like a chance to ride one of these Sir 9ers, that's for certain. I love the super sloping TT.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Members who have read this thread: 0