RX29 & RR 2.4 in back?- Mtbr.com
    zep
    mtbr member

RX29 & RR 2.4 in back?

Trying to determine if the RR 2.4 will fit in the back of the Racer-X. My measurements suggest that it will fit...

Any RX29 owners mounted it in the back and can confirm that it clears?

Thx, and sorry if this had been covered--perhaps my search skills my have atrophied.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by zep
    Trying to determine if the RR 2.4 will fit in the back of the Racer-X. My measurements suggest that it will fit...

Thx, and sorry if this had been covered--perhaps my search skills my have atrophied.
    That's a huge tire to fit in the rear of a race frame. Even if it fits, I would expect some rubbing on the stays under torque. It fits in the rear of my Karate Monkey, Dos Niner, Sugar 293 and JET 9. But once I start pedaling and cranking up the hills - the rub issues are present. 2.4 up front with a 2.25 rear works for most bikes.

zep
    mtbr member

No watts need apply

Thx for the sensible reply, BB.

Edit: Yup--based on that forum image of the 2.4 RR mounted in the back of a Dos Niner, the RX would probably be an equally tight fit. No-go.
    Last edited by zep; 09-04-2009 at 05:12 PM.

mtbr member
    A nevegal wouldn't fit in the back of mine, I didn't even have to try pedaling my 215 tonque challenging ús.

I seriously doubt a RR2.4 would fit. Although I've got one of the smaller RRs in there at the moment and it's lufly.

Lazy People Suck
    I have a Bontrager XR 2.2 on the back of mine on a Bontrager Rhythm Pro (28mm rims) wheel. There is not alot of extra room. I would think the 2.4RR could pose a problem
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A 2.2 like a Specialized Captain would be close to the max without rubbing issues. That RR 2.4 seems to be a pretty full 2.4- worth a try but you may have to sell it or use it on anther bike...if possible. If you do try it, let us know how it works.

ballbuster

Dunno actual size of a RR 2.4...

Quote Originally Posted by zep

... but I just threw some WTB Stout 2.3s on Speeddisc rims (XC width) on my 2008 RX29er to try them out. Loads of clearance. Actual tread measured to 2 3/8" wide (so on the money to claimed) and there was plenty of mud and breathing room.

Don't hold me to it, but I'd say you are pretty dang safe... that is.. unless they widened the rear triangle for the 08 model year, and you have an earlier RX29er.

Members who have read this thread: 0