Rohloff builders?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rohloff builders?

I was asked the other day buy a fellow MTB'er who would be the best bet for a custom steel or ti 29er with a sano Rohloff setup using discs. I was not sure so I thought I would ask the vast knowledge of this forum. Who would be on your short list for this project? Thanks.

mtbr member

2 that come to mind...

ByStickel and Mikkelson. I don't have any pictures of ByStickles but I'm sure itsdoable will chime in with his bikes. Here's a Mikkelson.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

use Paragon sliding dropouts

Whoever builds it, ask them to use the Paragon sliding dropouts. This, along with downtube to left chainstay continous cable routing, to shifter box, is the cleanest and results in the best shifting.

Paragon have an optional left side dropout that will work with the OEM1 torque converter. Better design than the Rohloff dropouts, as we have used both and much prefer the Paragon. Reasons: stainless dropout, so the area where bolts clamps can be left unpainted to minimize slippage, adjustable tension bolts to keep the dropout from sliding forward under load, and the Paragons are arranged in a better fashion for a cleaner builder.

Just my 2 cents.

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

Waltworks

I recall Walt making an OEM frame for the Speedhub. It's in the news archives on his website January 2005
    http://www.waltworks.com/dev/news/article.php?id=39

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Moots

Call Moots. They have sliding drops and full Roloff cable guides. Email Brad Bingham(production manager at Moots), He is a Roloff fanatic. Check out the back pages of the 2005 catalog...great detail photos. From V your east Fl. coast Neighbor.

mtbr member
    I have always admired Moots quality but the few times I've tried to deal with them have been less than great. I will check them out anyway but not my first choice. Thanks and I am in Florida so east coast for sure.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, any web sites? Google turned up empty for both.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the 2 cents, and you were on my list of builders I thought could do this. Expect a call...

mtbr member
    My short list for steel would be byStickel, and for Ti it would be Phil's in North America, or Magmaa in EU.

I prefer eBB setups - there's alot of debate over which is best.

byStickel SS/Rohloff setup

Phil's SS/Rohloff setup

Members who have read this thread: 0