mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Rocky Mountain Instinct vs. Trek Fuel EX

Shopping for an '18. I like to jump a lot and I want to race occasionally. Looking for a do-it-all trail bike to park next to my 4x bike.. My local trails are super chunky with steep climbs and descents. pretty set on the RM Pipeline C70 at the moment as it checks all the boxes. Just looking for input.
    Last edited by 26nix; 12-20-2017 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Demo bikes, buy what fits you body and riding style best. There are few bad bikes out there these days (especially from those brands).

Particularly the Trek Slash, Trek Fuel EX9, Rocky Mountain Instinct. Giant doesn't have anything that is 29r in your chosen category. This depends more on what type of riding you really plan to do with it and that will dictate how aggressive the bike you end up with will be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thank ya, I demo'd everything RM has. Pipeline/Instinct seemed like the best fit. I haven't been able to find any nearby trek or giant demo's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    For what you are describing I think the Instinct is the best fit for sure. The adjustable Geo and updates for this year (2018) make it a huge value for the $. Even last year's 2017 Instinct was killer. I demoed both and fell in love. Can't afford it, but it would be my number 1 if $ wasn't a problem.

It pedals very well for the amount of travel, comparable to some 120mm travel bikes and gives up nothing on the downs, corners like crazy and overall just a fun bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just bought a Trek EX8 2 weeks ago but I also narrowed it down to these two bikes. I live in Colorado so I have huge climbs, thousands of feet over miles so climbing was super important to me and the EX8 rear shock is absolutely amazing for climbing, zero bob. The down hill is amazing as well but I came from a 140mm 26er so those big tires make a big difference as well. I don't do big jumps, just small ones in the trail but the bike has zero issues dealing with the small jumps.

With that said, I LOVe the look of the instinct. I know that's subjective but the colors are amazing. The Trek I LOVE the eagle 1-12 system, shifts so smooth and quick. Tough choice and doubt you could go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the fuel in 27.5+ build. get a set of 29er wheels for XC racing.
    Too Many .

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    Wanted to find out if you're still high on the EX8? I keep spinning between that one and the RM Instinct mentioned. I've been a TREK guy ('14 Fuel EX9 now) and consequently I may, by default, a short wheelbase/chainstay guy--the RM is much longer and I'm anxious to test ride in the next few weeks. I've also been researching the YT Jeffsy 29 bikes and the value is staggering. On paper, they are short WB/chainstay bikes as well and I'm trying to equate it to the current EX9 I'm on. NOTE: I rode the '18 EX8 several weeks ago and it was a very nice, rolled over everything...loved the look too. Agree with you on the RM Instinct color scheme--gorgeous bike with really good press and reviews. Appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Intense Primer or ACV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Instinct for sure. Ultralight frame (5.1lbs for frame and shock!). Ride9 is legit for Geo adjustment and shock progression. Seat angle isn't slack and your butt won't be back over the rear axle. RM still has short stays. It climbs like a beast even without climb switch and the suspension is balanced really well. Especially for 140mm.

The trek is a nice bike too. Doesn't it have a proprietary shock tho?? That is the worst of the worst of bike industry. I have one of those today. So dumb. Marginal gains at best and super complex component that isn't standard or even needed with such good modern shocks. Correct me if I'm wrong here (I may be) but I'm just jaded from making that same decision in the past.

Regardless, the Instinct is wonderful bike that is ultralight 140mm climbing beast that is a fun ride. What more would you want?

What is the wheelbase an extra 3/4in depending in size? Is that, that big of a deal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Instinct for sure. Ultralight frame (5.1lbs for frame and shock!). Ride9 is legit for Geo adjustment and shock progression. Seat angle isn't slack and your butt won't be back over the rear axle. RM still has short stays. It climbs like a beast even without climb switch and the suspension is balanced really well. Especially for 140mm.

The trek is a nice bike too. Doesn't it have a proprietary shock tho?? That is the worst of the worst of bike industry. I have one of those today. So dumb. Marginal gains at best and super complex component that isn't standard or even needed with such good modern shocks. Correct me if I'm wrong here (I may be) but I'm just jaded from making that same decision in the past.

Regardless, the Instinct is wonderful bike that is ultralight 140mm climbing beast that is a fun ride. What more would you want?

What is the wheelbase an extra 3/4in depending in size? Is that, that big of a deal?
    The Trek’s shock is now a standard metric size 210x52.5 or what I have on my 2017 FEX 210x55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Still shopping... Sooo many cool bikes in this category and I've resorted to building a spreadsheet for geo, specs, price, weight, etc because of it. Definitely still leaning towards the instinct/pipeline. As bigski said, the jeffsy 29 is impossible to ignore too. Might just have to hit moab for outerbike. It's a good problem to have, but I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty damn rough picking a mid-travel 29er in 2018.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am like you--also have a spreadsheet--I am between L and XL in most brands to add to the process----I think I have fiddled around long enough that I will see what is released at Sea Otter----