Rocky Mountain Instinct vs Commencal Meta TR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Rocky Mountain Instinct vs Commencal Meta TR

I think I've narrowed down my next purchase to a Rocky Mountain Instinct, but I haven't eliminated the Meta TR because I can't test it so I'm looking for an opinion from someone who has ridden them (or related models).

I know you get a little more for your money with a Commencal, but I'm not too concerned about that. My only concern with the Commencal is the weight. I think it's about 5lbs heavier than the RM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I never rode the Commenšal, but the Instinct is a really fine bike. I believe that if you narrowed down that much, any pick will be a good choice.

Some may complain that the Meta TR has a kinked seat tube, therefore will be effectively more slacked than the Instinct. Don't know how relevant this will be for you, as I don't know how you plan to ride.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the Meta, but I have ridden a current RM Instinct C70.

The Instinct pedals & climbs really well. I was surprised how heavy my test bike was (near 14kg for a size large, which was way more than I'd read it should be) but it didn't feel like a heavy bike out on the trail. It's got a really firm pedaling feel and all of your pedal strokes go through to the rear tyre. One of the better climbing trail bikes I've ridden.

That same "not heavy" feeling translated to the downhills too, which was not a plus in my books. It just didn't feel particularly planted or confidence inspiring on the downs, and seemed easily deflected and a bit nervous. No doubt the BC Edition with the Fox 36 would be a better descender, but I didn't get into a comfortable groove on the downs.