Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 out of box build- Mtbr.com
    bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 out of box build

It sure seemed like many weeks since my local RMB dealer told me that my XL Altitude 29 was on its way from the RMB warehouse back east but it took exactly one week as promised. Around noon yesterday I got an e-mail telling me that my Alti was in at my LBS (Peninsula Cycles) and was almost built up. Hmmm, how could I get out of work early to check it out? Sneak out ... no, fake sick ... no, leave early and make up the time on Saturday ... no, that's prime riding time. Yesssss, my boss was sneaking out early so I was pretty quick to follow him out the door! Off the to the shop to see my new Altitude 29 and a Vertex SE 29 all built up and sitting on the showroom floor. Unfortunately the only the Alti was mine but I might have bolted for the door with the Vertex AND the Alti if the Vertex was an XL frame.
    I got to lay my hands on an Altitude proto at Sea Otter last year and I also saw one of the protos when my friend/team manager/Rocky rep was ripping up our local trails on one. For some reason mine looks way better. I'm sure it's the same but it's alway better when it's yours!

I haven't been out for a test ride yet but I thought I'd post some pictures of the out-of-the-box build. As shipped, including pedals, it weighs 30 lbs 5 ozs on my Park hanging scale so it's really nice weight considering the XL size, 120mm travel, tubed tires, beefy rear hub/12-36 cogset and reliable parts kit. My goal is to hit the 27.5 lb range without sacrifing durability since I'm a pretty hard riding 225 lbs.

Since I'll be using this as my primary mountain bike and doing some XC/endurance racing on it I'll be spending some time swapping to some of my favorite parts like my 180mm XT 770 cranks, Race Face Next low rise bar, X.0 shifters/RD, and lighter wheels. I also think I'm going to swap the Formula R1 brakes over to my Superfly and put my Elixir CRs on the Alti.
    I'll post some pics of my "final" build when I'm done in a few days.

Enjoy!
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 out of box build-img_1765.jpg

Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 out of box build-img_1766.jpg

Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 out of box build-img_1767.jpg

Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 out of box build-img_1768.jpg
    Last edited by bog; 02-07-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

Cassoulet forever !
    Very nice !
    I saw one in flesh at Eurobike, and like it a lot.

The headtube looks short. What is his size ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Nice looking ride! I dig that it comes with Mt Kings! What kinda tire clearance does the frame have?
    And give ride reports soon!
    Im thinking of carrying the brand this year-and i would ride an xl too!
    Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Yup, these have had me looking since Interbike reviews. Very nice indeed and getting to 27lbs should be super easy with the current stock build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Very nice...congrats

never ender
    Good lookin' bike. I love it when somebody can make an XL size bike that doesn't look like some kind of mutation.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    Very nice !
    I saw one in flesh at Eurobike, and like it a lot.

The headtube looks short. What is his size ?
    The frame is a 20.5" and the headtube is exactly 4" long. Tiny head tube for such a large frame but it keeps the front end nice and long for excellent front wheel traction. You can set it up as a long travel XC bike like I've done or you can go more all mountain. This is a very versatile bike for sure.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by bog
    .... the headtube is exactly 4" long

mtbr member
    Very nice bike! Give us report once you get a chance to ride this beast!
    I am especially interested on the feel given the short chainstay length and wheelbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by bog
    It sure seemed like many weeks since my local RMB dealer told me that my XL Altitude 29 was on its way from RMB back east but it took exactly one week as promised. Around noonn yesterday I got an e-mail telling me that my Alti was in the shop and was almost built up. Hmmm, how could I get out of work early to check it out? Sneak out ... no, fake sick ... no, leave early and make up the time on Saturday ... not that's prime riding time. Yesssss, my boss was sneaking out early so I was pretty quick to follow him out the door! Off the to Peninsula Cycles in White Rock to see a new Altitude 29 and a Vertex SE 29 all built up and sitting on the showroom floor. Unfortunately the only the Alti was mine but I might have bolted for the door with the Vertex AND the Alti if the Vertex was an XL frame.
    I got to lay my hands on one at the Sea Otter and I saw one of the protos when my friend/team manager/Rocky rep was ripping up our local trails on one but for some reason mine looks way better. I'm sure it's the same but it's alway better when it's yours!

I haven't been out for a test ride yet but I thought I'd post some pictures of the out-of-the-box build. As shipped, including pedals, it weighs 30 lbs 5 ozs so it's really nice weight considering the XL size, 120mm travel, tubed tires, beefy rear hub/12-36 cogset and reliable parts kit. My goal is to hit the 27.5 lb range without sacrifing durability since I'm a pretty hard riding 225 lbs.

Since I'll be using this as my primary mountain bike and doing some XC/endurance racing on it I'll be spending some time swapping to some of my favorite parts like my 180mm XT 770 cranks, Race Face Next low rise bar, X.0 shifters/RD, and lighter wheels. I also think I'm going to swap the Formula R1 brakes over to my Superfly and put my Elixir CRs on the Alti.
    I'll post some pics of my "final" build when I'm done in a few days.

Enjoy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1765.JPG 
Views:	2469 
Size:	350.2 KB 
ID:	518544

Name:	IMG_1766.JPG 
Views:	1581 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	518545

Name:	IMG_1767.JPG 
Views:	1572 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	518546

Name:	IMG_1768.JPG 
Views:	1782 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	518547

mtbr member
    Nice and fun looking bike for sure

Altitudes are thin on the ground and there's been very little coverage/feedback here, so your impressions will be useful

mtbr member
    Awesome specs on that bike, really cool that you get Formulas, Mountain Kings, and Stan's rims. Have fun with it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

bottom bracket height

could you, please, measure the bottom bracket height of
    your Rocky Mountain Altitude 29, and tell us the value.

thanks
    Xperia X8 (ant+),garmin edge 800, Sporttracks.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Altitudes are thin on the ground and there's been very little coverage/feedback here, so your impressions will be useful
    +1. Kind of interested to hear more about these.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gmngueko
    could you, please, measure the bottom bracket height of
    your Rocky Mountain Altitude 29, and tell us the value.

thanks
    Some quick measurements:

BB height 13.25"

HTA 70.5 deg

ETT - tough to measure because of the layback on the seat tube but 25.5+/-.25. The riding position is almost exactly the same as on my Superfly and I run a straight Thomson post on that. Since I'm not the best climber I tend to put all of my bikes in forward climbing positions so I don't get slaughtered on the steep climbs.

STA - not totally applicable due to the bend in the seat tube but definitely forward of your standard 73 deg STA. With the offset EA70 seatpost and saddle in the middle of the rails it is the same as my Superfly (see above)
    Wheelbase - 46.7". This is only 1" longer than my Fisher hardtail!

STL - center of bb to top of seat collar 21.25". Perfect for my 6'4", slightly short legged frame

Stem 100mm - also perfect for my 6'4" frame.

I've had 2 short rides on my local XC loop but need a really good loops of my favorite trails down in Galbraith before I'll post up a realy ride report.

So far I can say that the geometry is spot on and the handling is very natural. The bike turns very easily and the suspension is just awesome when the speed is cranked up. It definitely outshines any 3-5" bike I've ridden in 26" or 29" wheels. It begs to be ridden really hard through the rough twisty trails.

mtbr member

Brit mag review

What Mountain Bike, UK's biggest selling MTB mag has a review this month. It's a brief one page, and gets compared against another couple of bikes. Although it comes out on top score wise, they sound a little downbeat on it, at leas that's how it comes across overall.

However, when you get down to what they see as their negatives, it's things like the bar width was too narrow to make descending confident, and it was hamstrung in the very slow trail sections, which again reinforces the slow 29" wheels, albeit they had light rims ets blah

The positives they sight were climbing ability, which was put down to the steep ST, the bike's steady all-day capabilty and well executed suspension

So overall, - apart from the usual dross reporting - they didn't like the bars (why make a point of bar preference?), usual '29er wheels slow to accelerate', there were no other negatives

mtbr member
    I still don't understand why companies can't use Head Tube lengths appropriate for the overall size of the frame. A 20" 29er frame with a 4" head tube seems "not right" to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It is a nice bike for sure. Bog let me take a spin on it, but due to the fact I am only 5'10" I had a little trouble with it...

Is dang happy!

Hear Hear.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I still don't understand why companies can't use Head Tube lengths appropriate for the overall size of the frame. A 20" 29er frame with a 4" head tube seems "not right" to me.
    And a hurumph for tiny XC Head tubes on all XL bikes. I am lucky that I am under 6' but my customers shouldn't have to put a steerer extender or boner stem on their rig to get it to fit right.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Nice ride, Bog I'd love to take one of those for a spin sometime.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    And a hurumph for tiny XC Head tubes on all XL bikes. I am lucky that I am under 6' but my customers shouldn't have to put a steerer extender or boner stem on their rig to get it to fit right.
    The head tube works perfectly for me @ 6'4" tal and creates an extremely balanced ride. In fact, the bars are only a bit lower than the bars on my Nomad. Don't forget that this is a 120mm fork with 29" wheels so it is very comparable to a 160mm fork with 26" wheels.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to go too much higher with this type of bike because it puts too much weight on the rear wheel and messes with the climbing ability on steep pitches as well as compromising front wheel traction. If I wanted a higher bar height I could easily put a stem with a bit more rise and/or a higher rise bar on it. If it had a longer head tube I'd hate to have to throw a negative rise stem on it to lower the front end. I don't like the feeling having the stem/steerer tube up in my face like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    how much did it cost stock?

mtbr member
    Good positive review of the RM Altitude just up on Bike Radar

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey there, have you been able to get a weight on your final build?

mtbr member
    I think I recall reading on a Specialized presser that part of why frame/fort fit was a challenge for many companies was that making the larger HT actually makes it more challenging to build a bike from a strength perspective- the further apart the DT/TT junctions are, the more stress is put on the HT. That actually makes sense to me and may be part of why HT's don't grow in proportion with the rest of a bike.

redefined
    Very nice indeed.
    And though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours...I simply am not there.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benronross
    Hey there, have you been able to get a weight on your final build?
    I'll post some pics of my final build in a couple of days but I've managed to drop about 2 lbs pretty easily although it has made it less all-mountain-worthy with Crossmark tires. I still have the stock wheels with the Mountain Kings set up tubeless but I swapped to an XT 11-34 cassette. Setting up tubeless and swapping the cassette was an easy 250-300g savings! Other than that I swapped to a Race Face Next carbon low rise bar along with a lighter wheelset and it is sitting in the high 27 lb range. That's more than acceptable for an XL 29er with this much travel. It'll make a fantastic Test of Metal race bike!

I've been having so much fun riding this bike that I haven't been able to post up a ride review but that'll be coming soon. I've logged about 20 hr on the bike so far over all of my favorite trails so I have a pretty good idea of it's strengths and weaknesses (only 2 minor weaknesses that I can find but I'll get into those later in the week).

Members who have read this thread: 0