RockShox Reba SL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

RockShox Reba SL

I'm having trouble with the remote lock-out. I took it to the shop where I bought it and the mechanic worked on it for a bit, said it wasn't really designed well (which there seems to be some support for online), but got it working.....for a short period. Seems like the first time or two you use it after adjusting it the mechanism quits working. It either gets to where it won't lock out the fork, or if it does there doesn't seem to be enough tension in the spring to release it.

Anyways my real question is this: I hardly ever use it, and at the moment I've actually just taken the remote mechanism completely off. Is there any kind of conversion kit or a way to install a standard lock-out cap on the fork? For as little as I actually use it, I'd prefer not to have an extra lever taking up space on my bars, but it would be nice to at least have a manual way to lock it out when needed and not have the bare locking part exposed.

ballbuster

Yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by addictednewb
    I'm having trouble with the remote lock-out. I took it to the shop where I bought it and the mechanic worked on it for a bit, said it wasn't really designed well (which there seems to be some support for online), but got it working.....for a short period. Seems like the first time or two you use it after adjusting it the mechanism quits working. It either gets to where it won't lock out the fork, or if it does there doesn't seem to be enough tension in the spring to release it.

Anyways my real question is this: I hardly ever use it, and at the moment I've actually just taken the remote mechanism completely off. Is there any kind of conversion kit or a way to install a standard lock-out cap on the fork? For as little as I actually use it, I'd prefer not to have an extra lever taking up space on my bars, but it would be nice to at least have a manual way to lock it out when needed and not have the bare locking part exposed.
    You can just buy the regular damper and replace it. Basically, you just take off the circlip that holds the knobs on, and use a large socket (22mm... 24mm?) or a crescent wrench to unscrew it and remove it.

You may want to change the damper oil while you have it apart.

I dunno about not being designed well. I've owned 4 Rebas, and they have all been good... except for the one that was leaking out of the top of the damper... and had the damper cartridge replaced under warranty. All of my Rebas with a Poploc have stuck when locked out, but as soon as I unweight the fork, it pops. No biggie.

I once thought my lockout failed because it would not lock out all the way, so I took it apart. Turns out, I'm a total bonehead, and I just forgot to take all of the slack out of he lockout cable when I was working on it.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    You don't need to buy anything. Take the damper out and disable the spring. You will notice the end of the spring is inserted in a hole at the bottom of the damper. Just pull it out with an ultrathin needle nose. Now you can spin the dial with your hand to lock it out. You may also order just a lock out cap or go through the trash at your LBS and find a manual lockout lever. Put 2 small plumping #8 washers between the cap and the base so that it doesn't feel so flimsy. I have 4 forks setup this way and it has been very reliable.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

Members who have read this thread: 0