RockShox Reba 29 RL VS Fox 32 F29 RL-100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

RockShox Reba 29 RL VS Fox 32 F29 RL-100

I know this is kinda the Ford VS Chevy thing but anyone have some Pro's and Con's between these two.. I looking at the Giant XTC 29er 1 and the 2011 has the FOX and the 2012 has the RockShox can get a better deal on the 2011..

Any thoughts would be good..

I'm 6 foot 198 lbs and would using it for XC

Thanks in advance..

Sharky1528

mtbr member
    My friend just bought an Access 3.0 with the Fox Shock and I bought a 2012 Stumpjumper Carbon Comp 29er that has the new Reba. Honestly, I didn't like the way the Fox felt. Just didnt feel as smooth. Him and I weigh the same so the shock was setup for my weight. I also didn't like how the lockout was just lock or unlock. The Reba is more adjustable. Granted it's on the crown on my bike and his was remote, but still, it's not hard to get to and it's nice to fine tune the compression on the fly.

Also, it may not matter in your situation, but the Reba fits in my Yakima Steelhead rack. His Fox doesn't in his.

Trail Junkie
    Fox makes a good fork, but from my experience, my past 4 forks (4 different bikes) have all been Rebas. They feel smoother, have more adjustment for fine tuning and are less maintenance. That has been my experience.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

Uncle
    Both great forks. If the Fox is an RLC, then I'd go with the 2011 bike. The lockout threshold is a nice feature, and I like the simplicity of the Fox (single air adjustment). Others will sing the praise of Dual Air, but for me the Fox is easy peasy and buttery smooth. They're easy to work on too.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    The difference between FOX and REBA after owning both.... about $300

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    My 2011 Fox F29 Rl 100mm is not as smooth into the travel as my Reba 29 120mm. The Reba seems to have a more linear feel to it. In fact the Fox seems ti have a sticky spot in the travel at about 3 1/4". Even with all of the air removed, it is still sticky / not smoth in this last bit of travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How do you guys feel about the Recon Gold vs the Reba? I'm thinking of upgrading my Specialized Rockhopper 29er (my first real bike) to an RS Reba or Recon Gold. It currently has a SR Suntour XCR. I know that Reba is lighter weight and only slightly more expensive... but what about the differences in quality or what I'll perceive when riding?

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    I prefer the Reba. I built up a bike for a buddy with that Fox and got to ride it for a while after he had broken the shock in and all that and wasn't impressed. I mean it's a great fork, but I personally prefer the Reba. You can't go wrong with either!
    I like beer.

mtbr member
    I had a fit dampened f29 rlc fox on my 09 paragon and never really got it dialed to a place that felt great. The reba on my tallboy was much more smooth and plush out of the box, and has really been amazing after a short breakin period.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    I run a Fox on my Anthem X 29 and performance is good for my riding, XC/trail/single track at 6'2" 185. Fork came with the bike but if I was in the market to buy the price of the Fox is pretty steep!

Since you're on a hard tail you should consider the Marz Ti Bomber. I just picked one up from huck n roll for $280 for a hard tail build. Fork looks great and reviews are solid, plus the price is great. Travel is 120 but adjustable and has thru axle.