Rockhopper 2008 or 2010-should I wait?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rockhopper 2008 or 2010-should I wait?

Hi guys
    I am new to this sport and I am trying to buy my first mountain bike.
    I decided on a Rockhopper Comp Disc 29"
    I have found a used 2008 in good shape for 600.00 which I will try tomorrow. Is it to much?
    Anything in particular to look for? Can the fork be locked? As I understand from the seller there is still about 25mm travel on the fork when the dial is turned all the way.
    This bike was 1050 new in 2008, and the 2010 will retail for 830.00.
    Is it worth the wait for the 2010? Are the components better than on the 2008?
    Any sugestions are welcomed and very very appreciated
    Andy

The Other Dude
    I am pretty sure the 2008 is speced quite a bit better than the 2010, it the the 08 has the Tora Air fork, while the 2010 has the Dart, $600 seems like a pretty good price for the 08 IMO.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    The warranty doesn't follow the bike when it is sold. The lifetime warranty on the frame is something to consider for the 2010.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The 2008 sounds great to me. I had a Rockhopper and upgraded the hell out of it previously, great bike, well suited for a beginner, and with some upgrades it is a solid contender for a really nice mtn bike.

However, you can get your hands a 2010 Rockhopper to take a test ride now. Have your LBS order one for you, and tell them you're 50/50 on it, that you just want to ride it to make your final decision. They can have a 2010 in from Specialized at their shop within like 5 days. Plus if you decide against it, its a 2010 model they probably want on their floor anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great point on the warranty issue.

My last Rockhopper was also used, and that frame is built like a tank. A bit heavy-ish, but that won't matter unless you're racing or unless you have $thousands$ to burn. I weigh 200+ and never thought for a nanosecond that the RH frame would ever crack.

From a business standpoint, they do offer that lifetime warranty expecting that only 1-5% of their frames will ever require a warranty issue/replacement. If they were afraid of cracking, they wouldn't offer the warranty.

One more idea- are you close with the guy who is selling the 08 RH? If it ever came down to it, he can call in the warranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It turned out to be a 26"
    Fork could not be locked out as well
    I went to my LBS and put on order a 2010RH SL Comp 29.
    I am 5'11", 33.5 inseam. I ordered a 21"frame. Too big???
    Should be in mid October.
    Thanks for all your help guys
    Andy

gravity fighter
    I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and my 21" is on the edge of being too big. I prefer a larger frame/shorter stem combo, so it works for me. Did you try a 19" frame? It might be a better fit at your height.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Andy,

Nice man!

Sounds like a killer bike. You're going to love it.

Definitely go back and get yourself a 19" frame though... or I think they changed the sizing to go 18/20/21 this year? If thats the case, get an 18".

I'm 6' even and am running a 19". An 18.5" would be perfect, but 19" fits damn nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0