Rock Shox Maxle and Hope Pro II Hub.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rock Shox Maxle and Hope Pro II Hub.

Have had a RS Reba Uturn with Maxle for about 3 months. The fork has been great and incredibly stiff. But there is some play in between the maxle and the Hope Pro II Hub. I even tried using the maxle from my Rock Shox Pike in the Reba, there was the same amount of play. Has anyone had this problem before?

I read on the Wheel Forum that it is a somewhat common problem with Hope hubs and Maxles. There solution was to switch bearings. So I purchased 10 bearings hoping some would be smaller but no such luck. They all had about .2-.3 mm of play between the bearing and the maxle.

So my question is, what should I do? Should I keep riding with the bit of play, is it unsafe or just annoying?

Has anyone been able to fix this?

Powered by ice cream.
    I would imagine the problem is more the hub shell than the bearing. Hope will probably replace this for you. Are the bearings loose in the shell?

Harmonius Wrench
    I agree with Enel. There must be a problem Hope will help you out with. I have a Hope ProII hub and a Reba Team with the maxle. The fit is actually fairly snug.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had a problem with Spinergy wheels 20mm end caps on 09 reba (lots of play). They sent me some new redesigned end caps and it fixed the problem. Pretty tight now. Wow, that Maxle light axle is very light but really seems kinda dainty. I guess time will tell.

mtbr member
    Is it side to side movement? Or does the diameter of the maxle seem too small for the hub?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i have 2 fr wheels build on hope pro IIs, and both fit with no lateral play in all my 20 mm forks including maxxle. I also suspect there's something going on here w/ the shell or endcaps.

mtbr member
    Where I was going with my question is that I have the Hope ProII hub and a Reba with Maxle light and had a fitment issue. It turned out I purchased the wrong 20mm axle adaptor kit. If your end caps are not identical widths then you made the same mistake as I did and aquired a Hope Bulb adaptor. It's almost the same except one side is just a couple mm shorter than the other and your maxle won't be able to clamp down tight,

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for all of the replies.

I talked to Hope America. They blamed the maxle. Apparently it is more common than I thought. Two different reasons, first the maxle doesn't clamp as well as other thru axles, second they have a smaller diameter than they are supposed too. So I asked if there was anything they could do or know has been done. They said they didn't have a solution. I then asked how they could miss out on such a large share of the market by having mismatching hubs. Should of known what they were going to. Not their fault but RS fault. They also couldn't tell me if it was dangerous to ride with some play in between the axle and the hub.

So now I am at a total loss. When I got home from work today I took the adapters off and measured them. They are both identical in size. I placed each one of the spacers on the maxle and noticed the same vertical play. I put the maxle on through the hub without the adapters and noticed the same vertical play. Put it back together and put it back on the bike and tightened the crap out it. Almost to the point I thought I was overtightening it. Still the same vertical play.

Should I try to get another set of adapters? Should I try and get a new maxle? The hub shell and bearings both have vertical play in it. Should I just ride it. Its annoying and once I but weight on it does go away. But I can't help but know there is something wrong.

I am at a loss. Sorry for the long winded post.

mtbr member
    I guess you could measure the diameter of both the adaptor and the maxle and ask both Hope and RS what the tolerance is supposed to be. If you have that much play surely one of the pieces is out of spec and the manufacturer should be able to warranty it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Get your measurements...

and go to a machine shop. New endcaps should be easy and inexpensive to manufacture.
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

Your My Boy Blue!!!
    I have had the same problem with my Hope Pro II front hub and my White Brothers fork. I also have a wheel built with a DT 240 hub and it fits perfectly. I will never buy another Hope product again...
    Astrix Sports Monk
    Astrix Sports Rook
    Surly Karate Monkey
    www.cb4photo.com

err, 27.5+
    Welcome to the world of thru axle. For some reason some hubs have play. It is annoying, but not dangerous. I have had several 20mm hubs that would klunk and pop as they moved around. In the end I replaced the hubs and moved on. I would 2nd the DT recommendation. Their hubs aren't cheap, but they never seem to disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Talked to Hope again today. It was a different person today. I explained the problem to him again. Completely acknowledged the issue and said that a batch of hubs had bearings that had play in it. He took my address and said two new bearings would be sent in the mail.

I am pleased that he helped me out. But am a little disappointed in such a difference in attitude. Both of them knew the problem. One of them decided to simply ship bearings no questions asked.

We'll see how it works out when I get them, but don't know that I will be buying anymore hope products.

I'll repost when I get them installed. Thanks again for all of the help.

mtbr member
    Let me know how it goes. I can't take the creaking, let alone the rotor grinding when I corner hard. I may just rebuild the wheel around a King ISO anyway. Any problems with Kings 20mm TA's?

Your Best Friend
    The Kings work spectacularly well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Got the bearings installed. Definitely seemed better than other bearings. In the driveway test I didn't feel the play in the wheel. I won't be able to ride on the trail until Wednesday.

I atleast feel more comfortable riding it now.

mtbr member
    Just finished putting my new bearings in as well. I am cautiously optimistic at this point. The new bearings did seem "a hair" deeper than the originals. With just pushing on the wheel, any slop that was noticeable before seems to have dissapeared. At this point I think the problem may be gone. I just can't understand why the guy at Hope is somewhat resistant to send out new bearings for those with the problem. He took a bit of pursuasion to send them out.

mtbr member
    I've had this problem with several Pro2 hub and different bolt through axles.

The only surefire way I found to resolve the problem was to fit Enduro Max Compliment bearings.

The Other Dude
    Wow, i am glad i read this, i was going to buy a new Team Reba, and get my hope pro II wheelset converted to the 20mm front, i want to hear how this turns out before i drop the coin on what i thought would be an upgrade for my Jet9 with the older 08 reba sl.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I just can't understand why the guy at Hope is somewhat resistant to send out new bearings for those with the problem. He took a bit of pursuasion to send them out.
    what is up hope techs. @ss???? i know of one more so cal reba team/pro2 user and he has complains of this axle play too.

i was going to build a wheel with a pro2 hub but this type of customer service (or the lack of) is just piss poor.

what other hub can be converted from stardard qr, 9mm thru (for dt rws) and 20mm????

king? dt 240s? what else?
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    what other hub can be converted from stardard qr, 9mm thru (for dt rws) and 20mm????

king? dt 240s? what else?
    Hadley Racing XC front disc can. If you can find one. I've found them set for 15mm, but not 20mm and I don't want to pay for the hub and a conversion kit.

The Other Dude
    Has anyone had issues running the mavic C29ssmax wheels with the Maxle?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Didn't Help.

Just got done doing a 45 mile ride through Dupont Forest in NC. Play was definitely still there. Don't really know what my next step is going to be. I am not getting rid of the fork and I love the Stan's flows. I guess I will just ride it.

Anyone going to try the Enduro bearings?

mtbr member
    Anyone going to try the Enduro bearings?
    If you look up there you'll see someone has...

mtbr member
    Team 120 U-Turn/Maxle & Hadley hub = No issues.
    Mayo Clinic Phx. Kidney TX 06-20-2019

It's carbon dontcha know.
    2 different hope hubs on Manitou TA, no problem.

The Other Dude
    So....are the Enduro bearings the answer?

The Other Dude
    Just wondering if there was ever a solution found for this? I just got a 2010 Boxxer with the Maxle light for my DH bike that I am also running Hope Pro II's as my DH hubs....seems like i am having the same issue, i hope it does not mean i need to get a new front wheel or hub.

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by cb4photo
    I have had the same problem with my Hope Pro II front hub and my White Brothers fork. I also have a wheel built with a DT 240 hub and it fits perfectly. I will never buy another Hope product again...
    Great, I was hoping the Hope hub was the answer to my issue with a DT 440 and Maxle rotor clearance. Axle play or unavoidable brake rub, pick your poison. Maybe the 240 works better, but I need 36 hole.

Manufacturers need to start following IS or get their manufacturing tolerances dialed in better, cause this is ridiculous!

is buachail foighneach me
    nevada29er, i just mounted the rotor up on my 440 and it clears the fork leg on my '10 reba team, but just barely. my hope moto v2 hits the spokes with a 160 rotor, and i have a 183mm adapter on the way in the hopes that will cure it. it literally just barely clears it. i was impressed that the caliper was able to self adjust to the rotor with no rub.

your rotor is actually hitting the fork leg??

JB
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    your rotor is actually hitting the fork leg??
    Sean,

The rotor just barely clears the fork posts, but its too close to clear the inside pad on my Elixir caliper. I tried filing the holes out, but it still rubs. I think I got the worst case combination of caliper, hub, and fork tolerances. I have heard other people say this combo works, buts its really close.

I think I'm going to try a Hadley hub. This whole thing is a crap shoot...

Members who have read this thread: 0