Road Tyres- Mtbr.com

Thread: Road Tyres

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Road Tyres

I want to get some road tyres for my 29er. I am sick and tired of getting punctures every time I go out.

Anyone recommend any good tyres most my riding is city riding.

Can you run normal 700 tyres on a 29er (sorry if this has been asked before)

Recovering couch patato
    Do read the FAQ for such questions :-) 29" is just one of the many sizes that use 700c, so yes they'll fit.

Go buy some 28x2.35" Schwalbe Big Apples and be happy. They roll like mad, and even increase the 29"-factor of your bike. The 2.0's are good if you chicken out, I have those on a SS CX bike.
    Do yourself a favor and commit for the 2.35's. If they don't fit, your bike sucks! :-) They fit fine in Fishers and KM's, for instance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Cheers Cloxxki my bike is a gary fisher rig so the 2.35 should be good any thoughts or advise on tubes?

Recovering couch patato
    Schwalbe makes tubes just for this tire! Kenda's 2.1-2.3 should be fine too. Use loads of slime/latex in them, it's the trouble free ride you're after more than a couple ounces of weight, I presume?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah I'm not really bothered about weight to be perfectly honest with you I think these weight weenies need to know that instead of spending a fortune on ultra light kit if they were just to have a good crap before they went on a ride they would loose more weight.

The punctures are the major draw back as far as I am concerned there is nothing more disheartening than having to push your bike back when your miles from home.

Nov 2005
    Cloxxki - How do you like the 2.0 Big Apples? I've thinking about getting those for my MonoCog to use on RAGBRAI. A roughly 450 mile ride across Iowa.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Cloxxki - How do you like the 2.0 Big Apples? I've thinking about getting those for my MonoCog to use on RAGBRAI. A roughly 450 mile ride across Iowa.
    I've done RAGBRAI twice on the Big Apples in the 2.35 version with my entire family (we were on 2 tandems). Lots of teasing by everyone for our FAT Tires, but we enjoyed the ride and the extra cush on rigid mountain bike tandems.

I own the 28 x 2.35 and 2.0 version and they would work fine and dandy on RAGBRAI. I use them for commuting and 26 mile paved path training rides. They roll very well. I've also done RAGBRAI on my Karate Monkey using the Specialized Infinity 700 x 38 size.

Simply based on some of the cracks found in the county roads and less than high quality pavement that you face during RAGBRAI on these lesser roads through Iowa, I wouldn't go below a 700 x 35 width. The year I was on my 700 x 38's is the year a guy on a road bike had his tire get stuck the middle seam of the road pavement sending him over the bars to his death. Having wide enough tires to remove that possibility from happening is worth any weight penalty for me considering it is a recreational party ride. You also will hit gravel sections, shoulders and putzing around in the pass through and overnight towns on less than stellar surfaces.

Either of the Apples would be fine, as would dropping down in width to the 35-38 width.

BB

Nov 2005
    Cool. I'm doing RAGBRAI with Chicago Freeride. We plan on doing as many stunts as possible on the ride. I'm wanting to use a bigger (29er) bike, but still jump and stuff. Been reading a lot about RAGBRAI online and getting really excited.

Recovering couch patato
    With 2.35's even tram tracks are no danger anymore. Our region is littered with those. Can't remember the last tram ride I took though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Not sure if you have shares in Schwalbe Cloxxki but either way you have sold me on the big apples. I have been able to locate a couple of online store in the UK that stock these tyres but I am having problems finding tubes for them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMEY
    Not sure if you have shares in Schwalbe Cloxxki but either way you have sold me on the big apples. I have been able to locate a couple of online store in the UK that stock these tyres but I am having problems finding tubes for them.
    You should be able to use a wide 26" tube in the Big Apple. One rated to 2.5" will work fine if you prestretch it overnight by inflating the uninstalled tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Only dead people are old
    I want to get some road tyres for my 29er. I am sick and tired of getting punctures every time I go out.

Anyone recommend any good tyres most my riding is city riding.

Can you run normal 700 tyres on a 29er (sorry if this has been asked before)
    FWIW - If you want to run just road tires (tyres) try the Bontrager Hardcase in the 700x32 or 700x28 size. It has kevlar belts that greatly enhance puncture resistance - I've pulled thorns and glass out of these tires on may occasions with no flats. The only flat I have encountered in 3000+ miles on these tires was from a very sharp piece of steel.

Recovering couch patato
    NO stocks in Schwalbe, I actually have more ad that good feelings for them, but sometimes, by chance, without them intending to, they accidentally make killer products that actually work for me. Back when I rode 26" that happened more often :-)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Cool. I'm doing RAGBRAI with Chicago Freeride. We plan on doing as many stunts as possible on the ride. I'm wanting to use a bigger (29er) bike, but still jump and stuff. Been reading a lot about RAGBRAI online and getting really excited.
    Then trick your bike out with the Big Apple 2.35's and have at it!

Having ridden across Iowa on the 2.35's (in the 26" version) - I can honestly say I didn't feel like they slowed me down at all. It was the non-stop beer, home made pie, ice cream, walking taco's, pork chops on a stick, beer, beer and more beer that slowed me down more than the tires.

BB

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    Yeah I'm not really bothered about weight to be perfectly honest with you I think these weight weenies need to know that instead of spending a fortune on ultra light kit if they were just to have a good crap before they went on a ride they would loose more weight.

The punctures are the major draw back as far as I am concerned there is nothing more disheartening than having to push your bike back when your miles from home.
    carry a spare tube, that will eliminate that long push home.

Members who have read this thread: 0