Ripmo vs HD4 or others- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ripmo vs HD4 or others

So I'm bike shopping... the good ol' 26" Specialized Enduro is ready to be put out to pasture.

I've ridden a few bikes in the last 2 weeks. The Hightower (felt really long, hard to get the front off the ground), Bronson (pretty fun), Ripmo (favorite in the clubhouse going into my test rides -- the one I thought I'd get), and the HD4 (the one I always thought I'd get until the Ripmo came out).

I decided I like the feel of the DW bikes, and am pretty much deciding between the Ripmo and HD4 at this point.

I live on the Wasatch Front (Salt Lake City), so lots of rocky, steep, etc. I do a fair amount of shuttle rides that have some climbing, and a fair amount of "regular" riding (pedal up, bomb down). Moab trips where we shuttle the Whole Enchilada and ride Amasa Back etc. I prize the downhill over the climb. But I'm not getting younger... And there are lots of other trails around here (think the Mid mountain trail in Park City) and in Moab (pretty much all of them that require pedaling, lol) that are longer and flatter and were a pain on my Enduro and which I've never really ridden. I'd like to explore them, too.

I rode the HD4 and Ripmo on the same trail on back to back days. The demo dropped us off, so I had only a short section to climb. Surprisingly, while the Ripmo "felt" better on the climb, I was 35 seconds faster on the HD4 (about 6:30 vs 7:05), which I happened to do twice on the HD4 and was within 5 seconds both times (got a flat half way down the first ride). I also rode the entire trail last year on an HD4 and PR'ed the entire 3.3 mile climb by about 4 minutes over my Enduro.

I seemed to have more pedal strikes climbing on the Ripmo as well.

The downhill was essentially a tie -- I was within 5 seconds on both bikes. My hands did seem to be a bit tired by the time I got done on the Ripmo.

I've never ridden a 29'er before these test rides. Is there a "learning curve?" I liked the feeling of the Ripmo. It felt different -- bigger, for sure -- but still able to ride how I wanted. I liked how it felt on the downhill. The HD4 feels like an improved version of my Enduro in most ways -- climbs a lot better, descends a little better perhaps (I was a long ways from my PR on the descent on both bikes compared to the Enduro, but I could have gone faster!). Which is a good thing, but maybe not the change I'm looking for?

I guess my questions are, will the Ripmo give me room to grow, so to speak? How are they on longer trail rides? Is the hands getting tired on a short ride a bad sign, or will I get over that?
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

NedwannaB
    Look up both those bikes on MTByumyum's You Tube channel. He's right there in Utah might even have a MO vs HD comparison in one vid.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    I'm exactly in same boat. Moving to SLC sometime before February.
    I'm leaning HD4 over Ripmo but won't know till i test ride them in Utah.
    I kind of think of 29ers from a few years back. Maybe the Ripmo or SB150 would change my mindset of them being joyless tanks.
    2018 Pivot LES 27.5
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    I didn't find the Ripmo joyless. It got plenty of air when I wanted it, and actually matches pretty well with my riding style. Which is plowing thru as opposed to picking careful lines. But it did feel bigger.

You'll love it here if you like to ride/ski/hike/whatever.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    I live in PC, so also a Wasatch resident.
    I went from a 26 to a 27.5 (Yeti SB5c) and found that there was a learning curve for me. It was a good 6 weeks into riding it, before I started getting really impressive climb times, but the downhills were better immediately.
    Last fall, I got a Trance 29 Pro 1 and replaced enough components to get it down to about 26.5 #s and immediately started popping out PR's up and down.
    I'm 66, so the efficiency of the climbs is a big deal.

My youngest son, 27, just got the Ripmo and we just got back from Moab last Saturday. He had demo'd an L and an XL and at 6'2" tall, went with the XL, which really was the best choice. For Moab, he had about 17 mm of sag on the rear, but I've subsequently read on the Ripmo board that 14-15 mm, or just a bit over 25% sag is just as good on the downhill, but makes a significant difference climbing and getting a lively ride. His Ripmo comes in at 29.95 lbs. due to some changes made on a custom Competitive Cyclist build. On a few short rides up the road, with the seat down (I'm 6" shorter than him) and open mode, I saw no bobbing at all. I'm not seeing any bobbing from him either, following him.

On our rides last week we climbed Amasa (as opposed to Hymasa - to get the really techy climbs) and down Ahab and he was pretty pumped - and fast. The next day, a figure 8 up Getaway, to down on Bull Run, and then a clockwise loop of Arth's to Little Canyon and back up Great Escape ended the 18.5 mile loop. It appeared to me that he was manualling effortlessly even on the XL Ripmo and running a 2.5WT Aggressor rear and 2.6 WT DHF up front left plenty of room.. From my own experience, no way I'll go back to a 27.5. He went right from 26 to 29. I'm thinking he's pretty happy with that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    I'm exactly in same boat. Moving to SLC sometime before February.
    I'm leaning HD4 over Ripmo but won't know till i test ride them in Utah.
    I kind of think of 29ers from a few years back. Maybe the Ripmo or SB150 would change my mindset of them being joyless tanks.
    When I bought my SB5, it was in 2016, after riding - and wanting to like - several 29ers, including a Ripley and a Pivot 429. I hated them. They are no longer the same animals....not by a long shot. I won't be going back!
    I'm older (67 in August), and a bit concerned about injuries, but this last trip down to Moab, on my 130 mm/ 115 mm Giant 29er, I cleaned everything on Bull Run for the first time, and did it fast. If I'd been on the Ripmo, I'd have DESTROYED it....but probably true on the HD4 as well.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I rode a 2010 Ibis HD 26" wheels up until 2016. Then rode a Salsa Bucksaw until last fall when I got my Ripmo. Rode it in Moab last Nov. for a week, Loved how it felt on all of the rides we went on.Had fun on both of those other bikes, but after riding 29" wheeled Ripmo both of my other bikes will probably just gather dust from now on.

Keep on Rockin...
    This thread hits on something I've thought about for a while...

For an aggressive, burly trail/AM bike I think a 275 is better. Overall I prefer a 29er for routine trail duties, especially on pedally trails.

I'm finding tires like a Maxxis Minion 2.5 WT on an i35mm rim really hit the sweet spot for aggressive AM riding. On a 275 I find that setup very capable on rugged descents but still relatively nimble and ok to pedal around and get up to speed. On the other hand, the same tire/rim setup on a 29 is just an awful lot of wheel. Yeah, it lets you monster truck stuff, and I'm sure its faster on "enduro" style dh tracks, but for everyday AM riding that has techy ups and downs I'm thinking the 275 is the way to go.

Yeah, I know people are building up Ripmos like xc/trail bikes, but that's not what I'm talking about when comparing two clearly burly enduro-style bikes like the HD4 and Ripmo.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    29er's are faster 95%(science!) of the time. They don't fall into holes and have a better approach angle to rocks.

They change direction just as fast as smaller wheeled bikes, but they do take some time to learn. The BB drop is greater so you need to lean them slightly more. This also makes them feel more stable.

With that said, your bike needs to match you and if your on a medium or smaller, then 27.5 might be a better option. The bigger wheels weigh more and that can make them feel sluggish out of slow corners.

My XL Ripmo has a full enduro build and is the #1 bike I would pick for Moab. The chunk and punchy nature of the climbs lends itself to bigger wheels.

Setup is critical for any bike. It can be hard to find the sweet spot on a demo bike.

The Ripmo can handle the DH park trails just fine, but it a fun overall trail bike. The HD4 is more DH/enduro, less trail.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I didn't find the Ripmo joyless. It got plenty of air when I wanted it, and actually matches pretty well with my riding style. Which is plowing thru as opposed to picking careful lines. But it did feel bigger.

You'll love it here if you like to ride/ski/hike/whatever.
    Really looking forward to move out there. Took new job just to relocate to Utah. Love outdoor stuff.
    Also looking forward to trying the 29ers with the new geometries.
    Still thinking I'm going HD4 tho. Will only have one bike. Including lift access DH park use.
    2018 Pivot LES 27.5
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

G_T
    mtbr member
    What year is the Enduro? I'm riding an '04 and in the process of picking a new bike. I've narrowed it down to a Transition Smuggler, Ripmo, or GG Smash. I'm about an hour from Denver, so I'm leaning heavily toward the Smash for the trails I ride most frequently and the company itself.

It's been overwhelming to demo bikes, since the differences from my old Enduro are huge. 1x suspension, dropper, huge wheels, it feels like a different sport to me, not to mention the new geometry and larger travel. I've really liked every modern bike I've ridden, and they are all far more capable and fun than the Enduro. It's hard to go back to my old bike everytime I demo a new one.

I have had the chance to visit the GG shop a couple of times, as well as demo a Smash, and am pretty much sold. I won't get mine until August, but I'm confident it will be worth the wait. There are a ton of great choices in the mid/long travel category of mnt bikes, so I feel like I would be thrilled with any of them. Enjoy whichever you choose.

mtbr member
    Mine is an '11. Second year after they changed everything about it, more or less. My first ride on it was a revelation, lol. My brother (who is much faster than me at every aspect of riding) was with me my second ride on it, and he commented several times how much faster I was.

Part of what I've been missing is the fact that the new bikes aren't blowing me away like the Enduro did. The Enduro was probably my best purchase of my entire life...

I love the looks and idea of the GG bikes. But I don't want to wait that long. And I don't want to commit to buying a bike I can't ride first. But... maybe a trip to Co is in order though! I did an internship in Denver, living in Longmont. Awesome riding. I'd love to grab a new bike and hit Halls Ranch!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    TS,
    I believe I was at the same demo days as you for the Ibis bikes from Salt Cycles?

Went with the number one intention of trying the Ripmo. Got there the first day just as the two medium ripmo's went out for rides.... so....
    A brand new Ripley in medium came in, so rather than just wait, i took the Ripley.
    Figured I knew it would climb pretty well, so dropped off at the upper spot by the shuttle truck. Climbed the upper section great as expected. Turned downhill and took it on both the left hand cool way and later right hand alternate downhill trails. Threw that thing and myself off just about every rock, jump, launch, etc on the way down and it absolutely blew me away how it just ate it all up with it's updated geometry and not too tall suspension. Never felt any harsh bottom out.... ever...

Back to the demo a little too late to go for another back to back shot, no problem, next day showed up for my intended Ripmo ride. I had very little question as to how the bike would do when pointed downhill, but wanted a feel for how it really climbs, and not just for the small section after the normal demo dropoff. So.. talked the driver into dropping me at the mouth of the canyon to do the full climb on the Ripmo. So glad I did that, because I feel I got a full experience on how it climbs.
    To my amazement, I walked away from the two days of demoing the bikes hardly able to reconcile in my mind that if I were buying one of the two bikes today, (not that I could actually get a Ripmo today... haha) I would put my money on the Ripley. Mind blown... I only rode the bike because nothing else was in that really turned my crank.
    Climbing: Maybe I was a victim of over hype? but I just expected more our of the Ripmo than I got on the climb. Was it bad? no, was it as mind blowingly awesome as all the reviews gush on about it's climing? well... not really for me.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Is the hands getting tired on a short ride a bad sign, or will I get over that?
    You might find this interesting:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/r...b-1102594.html

mtbr member
    Yes, I was at the Salt Cycles demo. I kind of would like to try a "short travel" bike. I've never been on one.

I get what you are saying. Actually, during the HD4 ride, I was pretty sure that was my bike, lol. Only after did I start thinking stuff over and wondering if there was something I was missing. Maybe that's my answer right there...

And yeah, the Ripmo might be irrelevant anyway. Salt cycles said they would need at least a month. I was in backcountry's store today and talking to them. She said that she ordered her Ripmo in April and no word as to when... I'm not sure I feel like waiting half the summer for one at this point.

mtbr member
    I have been following that thread with marked interest, lol.

mtbr member
    Yes, I was at the Salt Cycles demo. I kind of would like to try a "short travel" bike. I've never been on one.

I get what you are saying. Actually, during the HD4 ride, I was pretty sure that was my bike, lol. Only after did I start thinking stuff over and wondering if there was something I was missing. Maybe that's my answer right there...

And yeah, the Ripmo might be irrelevant anyway. Salt cycles said they would need at least a month. I was in backcountry's store today and talking to them. She said that she ordered her Ripmo in April and no word as to when... I'm not sure I feel like waiting half the summer for one at this point.
    My son bought an XL frame at backcountry/competitive cyclist a couple of weeks ago. It took 5 days to get it all built out (only because he had to wait a couple of days for a Wolf Tooth dropper lever) and ready to ride after he ordered it. We were in Moab the next day. They also had a demo available, same day, before he bought the bike. I'm sure YMMV based on size and availability though.

I have a Giant 29 Pro 1 and had the numb hand issue. Got a pair of Ergon GA3 grips about a year ago that helped a little. About 2 weeks ago I got a pair of Ergon GS1 grips that seem to have completely solved the problem and that was on a 3 day to Moab....Ahab, top of Mag 7 (Bull run, Arth's, Little Canyon, among others), Navajo Rocks and no numbness at all.

mtbr member
    Has anyone had any time on a Yeti 5.5? How does it compare to the Ripmo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had a 5.5 before I bought my ripmo. The 5.5 climbed as good as the ripmo. Hard to really compare because I sold the 5.5 a few months before I got the ripmo. The ripmo def has better geometry than the 5.5, and has a plusher feel to it. The 5.5 was a great ride, just dated geometry, and a little short on the cockpit for a large.

mtbr member
    Thanks, that helps a lot! I've come across a couple of high spec 5.5's on clearance and have been tempted.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    29er's are faster 95%(science!) of the time. They don't fall into holes and have a better approach angle to rocks.

They change direction just as fast as smaller wheeled bikes, but they do take some time to learn. The BB drop is greater so you need to lean them slightly more. This also makes them feel more stable.

With that said, your bike needs to match you and if your on a medium or smaller, then 27.5 might be a better option. The bigger wheels weigh more and that can make them feel sluggish out of slow corners.

Setup is critical for any bike. It can be hard to find the sweet spot on a demo bike.

The Ripmo can handle the DH park trails just fine, but it a fun overall trail bike. The HD4 is more DH/enduro, less trail.
    I'd echo this. I picked up a Ripmo and haven't touched my 27.5 Kona Process CRDL since. The confidence negotiating large holes on steep chutes is awesome. Not even thinking about stuff I'd usually psych out on the Process. Sounds dumb but I've found both 29ers I've had (Following V1 and the Ripmo) hold speed better on tamer flow trails which makes them more fun for me. I still feel like I had a bit more acceleration late in corners on the Kona, but that was something that came as I got to know that bike and I hope improves on the Ripmo. The grip on the stock 938s and WT Maxxis is crazy and I've got to get over the mental block and be OK with that much extra lean angle and commitment time.

Lots of steep aggressive trails and flow trails with long climbs here in the Seattle area and the Ripmo does it all so very well. Process is a shredder but gets bored on the flow and doesn't hold its speed as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the Ripmo is a much better overall ride than the 5.5. get the ripmo and dont look back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Have you checked out the Fezzari La Sal Peak? Similar numbers to the Ripmo. Better spec for the money. May be worth a demo since you're in Utah.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    Have you checked out the Fezzari La Sal Peak? Similar numbers to the Ripmo. Better spec for the money. May be worth a demo since you're in Utah.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I think I am going to go to their shop and check one out today or tomorrow if I can. I'm usually a bit leery of big purchases without dealer support, etc. But since they are local, that assuages that concern a little bit.

I just hate the name Fezzari for a bike company from Utah, lol. Like they said in the 2019 Bible tests, "is that an Italian soda?"

But one of them also said it was his favorite bike from the test. So ... maybe I should overlook the name.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    I just hate the name Fezzari for a bike company from Utah, lol. Like they said in the 2019 Bible tests, "is that an Italian soda?"

But one of them also said it was his favorite bike from the test. So ... maybe I should overlook the name.
    This ^^^

I'm no brand snob, and that's part of the issue with this name is that it sounds soooo fake that it feels like an appeal to someone who might be a brand snob.

I like how they name their models after Utah peaks, but this is literally the ONE brand I know of that I would have to get over my personal dislike for the fake name to own one.

It's really not that hard, they base in Lindon Utah, call them Lindon brand cycles. (yes, I realize they are made in Taiwan like almost every other bike out there and shipped here)
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    This ^^^

I'm no brand snob, and that's part of the issue with this name is that it sounds soooo fake that it feels like an appeal to someone who might be a brand snob.

I like how they name their models after Utah peaks, but this is literally the ONE brand I know of that I would have to get over my personal dislike for the fake name to own one.

It's really not that hard, they base in Lindon Utah, call them Lindon brand cycles. (yes, I realize they are made in Taiwan like almost every other bike out there and shipped here)
    Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one. The first time I saw the name I assumed I was witnessing the first Walmart bike to venture off the city bike path.

I do like their peak names on the models; pretty cool that the La Sal Peak bike would be a great tool for descending the trail from La Sal peak, aka the Whole Enchilada. But literally drive up a canyon here and open your eyes and you'll find a better name with some local flair.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    HD4 owner here. I have had it for about a year now. Great bike and I am very happy with it for the most part. I do wish it had a steeper seat tube angle though. 69.5" tall I am right in between a medium and a large. I sized up and went with the large and run a 40mm stem. The front end does get light on steep climbs and I have had to learn to account for that. I haven't had the opportunity to ride a Ripmo but I think it will have the edge with longer top tube and steeper STA as the better all arounder.

mtbr member
    Well, the Fezzari La Sals are out 4-8 weeks (at least, lol). No one seems to know when they will have a Ripmo -- "hopefully a couple weeks..." Hmmm...
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This is a great thread, I've owned an hd4 for a year now. I demoed a ripmo in moab for a day and I felt like the hd4 is a better descender and gave up nothing on the climbs. I feel like the hd4 has been overshadowed by the ripmo hype. For reference tho, I'm 5'8". I go a good deal on a yeti sb150 as a long travel 29er experiment, and it was a terrible technical climber compared to my hd4. So much so, that I couldn't justify keeping it. I sold it 2 months later for the same price I paid for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpobanz View Post
    This is a great thread, I've owned an hd4 for a year now. I demoed a ripmo in moab for a day and I felt like the hd4 is a better descender and gave up nothing on the climbs. I feel like the hd4 has been overshadowed by the ripmo hype. For reference tho, I'm 5'8". I go a good deal on a yeti sb150 as a long travel 29er experiment, and it was a terrible technical climber compared to my hd4. So much so, that I couldn't justify keeping it. I sold it 2 months later for the same price I paid for it.
    A tribesman should be here any minute to tell you how confused you are. LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    A tribesman should be here any minute to tell you how confused you are. LOL
    27.5 bikes donít get any love any more, Iíve tried two of the best bikes out there, and I liked the hd4 more as long travel trail rig. Thereís a bike for everyone I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpobanz View Post
    27.5 bikes donít get any love any more, Iíve tried two of the best bikes out there, and I liked the hd4 more as long travel trail rig. Thereís a bike for everyone I guess.
    Indeed there is. I love my HD4 too but I have never ridden a 29er and I am intrigued by them for sure. I need to demo some bikes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So Ty, I finally got a ride on the vaunted Ripmo and it was meh. I'd expected much more, but honestly it didn't ride all that well and it was nowhere near as good as a GG Smash.

I have been riding 29ers since before they were 29ers, back in the day when it was called 700c. My first "29er" was a Bianchi Project with a 80mm travel Rockshock, running the "huge" Panaracer Smoke 2.1". Over time my bike choice has swung wildly from single speed 29er to mountain unicycles, and finally full suspension mountain bikes.

Until recently I rode a GG Smash 29er, 140/160 travel, great bike for sure, best enduro 29er I have ridden, but then I trashed a wheel in Moab which led to me using a spare 27+ wheelset ... and that's where things changed for me "again".

I found the Smash to be more fun, more forgiving, and better all around with the short fat wheels, which led to me selling the Smash and getting a GG Revved Shred Dogg 27.5

I have ridden 27+ for a few years, Foes Mutz, Lenz Fatillac, also spent some time on a Mojo 3, and as much as I wanted to embrace a longer travel 29er, I found that the combination of long travel and tall wheels tended to make the bike feel "tall". I know, like duh, but seriously, sometimes you gotta fall in the hole before you realize it's a hole.

So I'd suggest you get a decent 27.5(+) bike like the HD4/Mojo4, or my fav the GG Shred Dog, screw the long travel 29er craze, it's nonsense, soon enough folks will stop trying to make big wheeled bikes ride like small wheel bikes and they'll just start buying small wheeled bikes again cuz they are more fun

Buy the bike that makes you feel invincible!
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

I have ridden 27+ for a few years, Foes Mutz, Lenz Fatillac, also spent some time on a Mojo 3, and as much as I wanted to embrace a longer travel 29er, I found that the combination of long travel and tall wheels tended to make the bike feel "tall". I know, like duh, but seriously, sometimes you gotta fall in the hole before you realize it's a hole.
    !
    I don't know I spent the last few years on Mojo 3's and a HD3 running plus, 2.4's and 2.6's. This year I jumped into your proverbial longish travel 29er hole and lovin every minute of it. Different strokes I guess.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Mojo "4" wwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa?

mtbr member
    Well I ordered a Ripmo. Unfortunately it has been a few weeks and no bike yet! Growing impatient, as the snow is starting to come off the good trails quickly now and I'm ready to ride.

Tough decision, but one in which I feel there is probably no "bad" choice. I demoed the Ripmo and SB150 back to back and came out slightly in favor of the Ripmo, but I liked the SB150 a lot too. As far as the HD4 goes, it still feels like maybe the more natural choice for me, but we'll see how things go on the Ripmo. Given the apparent demand for the bike, if I don't love it after a month or so, it looks like it should be easy to sell, lol.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well I ordered a Ripmo. Unfortunately it has been a few weeks and no bike yet! Growing impatient, as the snow is starting to come off the good trails quickly now and I'm ready to ride.

Tough decision, but one in which I feel there is probably no "bad" choice. I demoed the Ripmo and SB150 back to back and came out slightly in favor of the Ripmo, but I liked the SB150 a lot too. As far as the HD4 goes, it still feels like maybe the more natural choice for me, but we'll see how things go on the Ripmo. Given the apparent demand for the bike, if I don't love it after a month or so, it looks like it should be easy to sell, lol.
    Last Spring I had a Ripmo on order, sight unseen, it was new at the time so no demos, then I saw the Smash, ahhh Springtime love, so I got a Smash and it was great, but there is just something about being more in touch with the trail that comes from riding a shorter wheel, so I went back to 27.5.

You can always buy and sell frames, keep the kit so you only lose cash on one "component".
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    but there is just something about being more in touch with the trail that comes from riding a shorter wheel, so I went back to 27.5.
    Thats how I feel, for me its easier to corner, manual, and jump on 27.5 bikes. Its just more fun. However, I was way faster on the sb150, but I don't race, so whats the point. I do prefer short travel 29ers for mellow trail riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I don't know I spent the last few years on Mojo 3's and a HD3 running plus, 2.4's and 2.6's. This year I jumped into your proverbial longish travel 29er hole and lovin every minute of it. Different strokes I guess.
    So Bob, whatcha ridin' these days?

I'll admit, for a longer travel 29er, my aluminum Smash was pretty damn great, but it was even better with 27+, which is why I got a Shred Dogg.

Still got a Signal Peak 29er FS, 120/120, more of an XC bike for long days on less technical terrain. I've been oogling the new Ripley, might need to swap frames once I pay off my daughter's wedding
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

aka bOb
    So Bob, whatcha ridin' these days?

I'll admit, for a longer travel 29er, my aluminum Smash was pretty damn great, but it was even better with 27+, which is why I got a Shred Dogg.

Still got a Signal Peak 29er FS, 120/120, more of an XC bike for long days on less technical terrain. I've been oogling the new Ripley, might need to swap frames once I pay off my daughter's wedding
    Evil Offering.

I've been eyeballing the new Ripley (just to add one more to the stable) as well but being 5'9" I could never find my happy place on an Ibis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripmo vs HD4 or others-65989588_696619240788294_2363430467589373952_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rallon or Occam?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by M_US_E30 View Post
    Rallon or Occam?
    yes.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2019 Trek Remedy
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2011 Trek Scratch Air 8