Ripmo - hands going numb- Mtbr.com
    trekker
    Jul 2005

Ripmo - hands going numb

I was able to demo one for a pretty solid 3hr ride and noticed my hands going numb half way through. I've been riding for many years and this was the first bike where I couldn't fix it based on saddle tilt/fore/aft/height. Looking around the forums, it seems to be a common problem with this bike.

FWIW, I've demo'd 8 other bikes and none had this problem. Has anyone with a Rimpo had this problem, then solved it? I don't rally want to buy the bike and proceed to play the expensive 2-month game of finding the right stem length/rise, or handlebar width/sweep. I'm 5'8" and rode the medium, if it matters.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Did all the bikes you demo'd have a steep STA like the Ripmo? That can put a lot of weight on your hands if you ride terrain that is not pretty much all up or down. Extended flat seated pedaling is not it's strong suit. Also, the Fox 36 forks are not super plush on little stuff IMO. When I put an MRP Ribbon fork on mine, it was much plusher on the smaller stuff. But I never experienced any hand pain, I only ride it at trails that are pretty steep up and down w/o much flat.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I had this problem until I simply tilted my saddle upwards slightly, and moved it back a hair. Have you tried either one?

mtbr member
    Too many factors to narrow it down but Iíve definitely noticed with the new geo bikes there is increased pressure on the hands.

The steeper SA and longer reach are a game changer for extended climbs but with the shift in body weight something as simple as having the fork too stiff or uncomfortable grips could easily cause increased hand fatigue or numbness. Hopefully not an ongoing issue for ya.

mtbr member
    You can also try moving the saddle back a bit. The other thing you can check is the bar rotation. I've found that if its rotated too far forward...it'll put extra pressure on my hands.

Rollin 29s

Ripmo - hands going numb

Iím still looking for a solution and have had my Ripmo since October. Iíve tried saddle adjustments, riser bars and bar adjustments, 9 and 12 degree backsweep bars, riser stems of differing degrees and different Ergon grips and a different saddle.

I even had a professional fitting done at my LBS, and the adjustments and most of the component change recommendations werenít anything I had not already done.

It has improved, though I canít pin one change on any significant improvement in comfort. Grips and backsweep bars are probably the two biggest improvements - though the wrist and hand pressure remains.

I think Iíve finally gotten used to it, like when you first get back on a bike after a long break and your butt hurts for a ride or two. Then the nerves become less sensitive and your body adjusts.

If the bike wasnít so much fun to ride, and didnít perform so well in so many different situations, I wouldnít put up with the ergonomic issues caused by steep STA and bottom bracket too far back relative to the saddle. THIS is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    When I bought my rootdown (2019 geo, 76 degree STA) I had this problem.
    I ended up increasing the bar/stack height significantly. 30mm of spacer under the stem, 35mm riser bars. I tend to like high bars but my steep seat tube 29er seems to ride better with much higher bars than is needed on my slacker seat tube 27.5 bike (bronson 2).

Maybe that is just a Band-Aid fix but it seems to work for me.

mtbr member
    Too much pressure on the bars could mean a lot. Deathgrip? Bad form? Weak core strength? Usually, we see that people just kinda lean on their bars, which is bad. We fix this kind of stuff all the time for people, but gotta see you on the bike.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Ripmo - hands going numb

Definitely noticed heavier hands on my Ripmo, but since Iíve always had the opposite problem of having difficulty getting weight on front of previous bikes, itís good. I made sure tho to get stack height where I need it which took 40+mm spacers and 40mm rise. That places my hands at saddle height. Other change was to shorten reach from previous bike by 30mm, which I read about from Lee McCormackís stuff, but mostly just was result of STA shortening cockpit and staying with 40mm stem. Subsequently I also moved cleats all the way back in shoes, not for this reason, but think it helps also with this issue. Feels like best bike fit Iíve had now.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65 View Post
    Iím still looking for a solution and have had my Ripmo since October. Iíve tried saddle adjustments, riser bars and bar adjustments, 9 and 12 degree backsweep bars, riser stems of differing degrees and different Ergon grips and a different saddle.

I even had a professional fitting done at my LBS, and the adjustments and most of the component change recommendations werenít anything I had not already done.

It has improved, though I canít pin one change on any significant improvement in comfort. Grips and backsweep bars are probably the two biggest improvements - though the wrist and hand pressure remains.

I think Iíve finally gotten used to it, like when you first get back on a bike after a long break and your butt hurts for a ride or two. Then the nerves become less sensitive and your body adjusts.

If the bike wasnít so much fun to ride, and didnít perform so well in so many different situations, I wouldnít put up with the ergonomic issues caused by steep STA and bottom bracket too far back relative to the saddle. THIS is the issue.

Too much weight on your hands - that is he number one cause IMO. It why the nose on these slack bikes stay down on climbs.

Tilt your saddle nose up. That relives hand pressure but puts pressure on your junk. Raise your bars and that will let your hips tilt back to depressurization your junk.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I felt that maybe a touch (but not enough to worry about) on my Ripmo on long flat sections, which we have thankfully few of. I've had it worse on other bikes. Commonly, for me (assuming good form) is to raise the bar height.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Rollin 29s
    I have 25mm of spacers under the stem, and canít go higher with 5mm spacers because the LBS cut the steerer tube too short. Iím not convinced raising the stem higher with 10 or 15mm spacers is going to help because Iíve tried 35 degree x 70 and 90 riser stems as well as 50mm riser bars with all of the stems combinations I have.

I havenít adjusted my cleats, so will try that. Already have SQLabs 9 degree backswept riser bars on it. Iíve had the saddle as far back as it will go and it didnt make a difference.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have 25mm of spacers under the stem, and canít go higher with 5mm spacers because the LBS cut the steerer tube too short. Iím not convinced raising the stem higher with 10 or 15mm spacers is going to help because Iíve tried 35 degree x 70 and 90 riser stems as well as 50mm riser bars with all of the stems combinations I have.

I havenít adjusted my cleats, so will try that. Already have SQLabs 9 degree backswept riser bars on it. Iíve had the saddle as far back as it will go and it didnt make a difference.

Saddle tilt?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Ripmo - hands going numb

Wondering if stem is too long. Longer stems put more weight on your hands. I believe Ibis recommendation is to keep stem length close to fork offset. Do u have long torso and/or arms relative to leg length? Can u try riser bars with 50 or shorter stem?

mtbr member
    Changing from a 50mm stem and 25mm riser bar to 35mm stem and 40mm riser bar relieved must of my discomfort...also took an 80mm riser bar a ride and improved even more. Also, fine tuning the tilt of the bar end to match my resting hand position made a difference by relieving pressure points.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    I was able to demo one for a pretty solid 3hr ride and noticed my hands going numb half way through. I've been riding for many years and this was the first bike where I couldn't fix it based on saddle tilt/fore/aft/height. Looking around the forums, it seems to be a common problem with this bike.

FWIW, I've demo'd 8 other bikes and none had this problem. Has anyone with a Rimpo had this problem, then solved it? I don't rally want to buy the bike and proceed to play the expensive 2-month game of finding the right stem length/rise, or handlebar width/sweep. I'm 5'8" and rode the medium, if it matters.
    I had the same problem with hand pain on a Ripmo, I am also 5í-8Ē, 165 lbs on a medium. I demoíed the bike 3 times. First thing I did after getting my Ripmo was to ride with a ShockWiz on the Fox 36 Grip 2. The ShockWiz had me set the LSC & HSC full soft. This completely got rid of the hand pain.

My fork setup is:
    60 psi
    Sag 32mm ~20%
    Rebound LSR 4, HSR 5
    Compression HSC 16 fully open, LSC 12 fully open
    One token as it come stock.

My bike has the DPX2 Shock itís set up:
    215 psi
    Sag ~14mm 25%
    Rebound 11
    For my weight and riding style (not aggressive) the DPX2 Shock has a great tune for me.

I will be putting the ShockWiz back on the fork for some more fine tuning.

The bike feels nice and playful. My cockpit set up is:
    Enve M6 low rise bar 7mm rise cut to 765mm wide.
    Enve M6 stem 55mm set -6 degrees no spacer under stem.
    WTB SL8 saddle slide all the way back.

This bike rips up and down.

Here it is:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BwMy04wl...=1knz2l6w8dq0e

FYI, my other bike is a Mojo3. My Ripmo is only ~ 1 pound heavier at 27 1/4 lbs.

Get one and do not look back.

mtbr member

Ripmo - hands going numb

Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    I had the same problem with hand pain on a Ripmo, I am also 5í-8Ē, 165 lbs on a medium. I demoíed the bike 3 times. First thing I did after getting my Ripmo was to ride with a ShockWiz on the Fox 36 Grip 2. The ShockWiz had me set the LSC & HSC full soft. This completely got rid of the hand pain.

My fork setup is:
    60 psi
    Sag 32mm ~20%
    Rebound LSR 4, HSR 5
    Compression HSC 16 fully open, LSC 12 fully open
    One token as it come stock.

My bike has the DPX2 Shock itís set up:
    215 psi
    Sag ~14mm 25%
    Rebound 11
    For my weight and riding style (not aggressive) the DPX2 Shock has a great tune for me.

I will be putting the ShockWiz back on the fork for some more fine tuning.

The bike feels nice and playful. My cockpit set up is:
    Enve M6 low rise bar 7mm rise cut to 765mm wide.
    Enve M6 stem 55mm set -6 degrees no spacer under stem.
    WTB SL8 saddle slide all the way back.

This bike rips up and down.

Here it is:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BwMy04wl...=1knz2l6w8dq0e

FYI, my other bike is a Mojo3. My Ripmo is only ~ 1 pound heavier at 27 1/4 lbs.

Get one and do not look back.
    One last thing my saddle height is 680 mm from center of BB to seat rails.

Also the demo Ripmo bars were 3/4Ē to 1Ē higher then on my bike. So for me it was not the bar height just the fork setup.

Keep on Rockin...

Raising the bars only takes a bit off the hands. It's the saddle tilt that unweights the hands.

Raising the bar is more about depressurizing the taint after the saddle is tilted.

Rollin 29s
    I tried the saddle tilt until I got numbness and then backed off (tilted back forward), with little to no improvement in hand pressure.

I have the stock Ibis stem:
    50mm stem reach. 42mm stem height.

- Lord Charles Beresford

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Interesting. What's your inseam, RSAmerica?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Some of it could be your bike fit, but I suspect most of it is from the fork.
    If you have the fork at full extension can you lightly push/pull it and have it move smoothly? If you weight the fork is should smoothly move into it's travel without sticking.

I would try some different grips as it's easy to swap them out and do a fork service including air spring clean/grease.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't have a ripmo but I recently bought my first steep (ish) seat angle (75.5 Rocky Mountain Instinct) and I definitely have more discomfort in my hands while riding. I have the seat pushed back all the way but it isn't enough.

I'll try the saddle tilt soon. I'm thinking of replacing the dropper with something with some setback.

I definitely don't get this new school geometry. It's not that hard to scooch forward on the saddle while climbing. Why would I want my weight forward like that all the time in the flats?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    New Geo is rad but doesn't seem great for seated riders on overall flattish terrain. More traditional geo still has a place it seems.

I've only been around MTBs for 5 years but it seems trends sort of overshoot, then stabilize back to something more reasonable.

I suspect that the next Gen progressive bikes will all of the sudden steepen HTA a hair and raise BBs as reality sets in!

Rollin 29s
    I moved my cleats 1/2Ē back on my shoes as they were all the way forward, and moved my saddle back 1/4Ē - which is all the way. In addition I tilted the nose of my saddle up about 1/4Ē. I have one 15-mile ride with this setup on one of my normal routes. There was no noticeable difference in hand pressure, but Iíll give it another ride, and Iím going to lower my fork pressure a bit, as I have another inch of rarely used travel on my Fox 36.

I agree, modern geo bikes (some of them) overshot on geometry Ďimprovementsí, and I predict the next generation of modern geo bikes will slacken seat tubes, steepen head tubes and raise bottom brackets.

Iíve been mountain biking since the early Ď90s, and Bikes have always been more comfortable than my Ripmo. The Ripmo absolutely blows all of them away performance and handling-wise.

- Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Already have SQLabs 9 degree backswept riser bars on it. Iíve had the saddle as far back as it will go and it didnt make a difference.
    9 deg backsweep is the wrong direction, try a straighter bar like a Renthal to get your hands further forward. The newer 35mm diameter bars are notorious for hand discomfort as they are just too stiff. Just going to 31.8 in aluminum (or flexier carbon) can solve that issue; may not be frame related. Sounds like you've tried pretty much everything else so I'm fairly certain bar choice is your problem.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I agree, modern geo bikes (some of them) overshot on geometry Ďimprovementsí, and I predict the next generation of modern geo bikes will slacken seat tubes, steepen head tubes and raise bottom brackets.
    I'd be stoked for 2 out of those 3 changes and I can fix the one I don't love with an angle adjust headset so bring it on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can not hardly wait to see the sales spin: new updated quicker turning 67.8 degree head angle, same as Pro racers are using!

Honestly, I love modern geo but some went a little too extreme imo. I think Yeti over did it on some dimensions.

I sincerely think mixed wheel sizes is going to be the thing very soon. The next trend, and I think it's a good one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    I hate flat bar bikes for aggressive positions. I have more pressure on my hands on my drop bar road bike and my hands always feel great. The next best thing in mountain biking will be fixing the hand position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'd be stoked for 2 out of those 3 changes and I can fix the one I don't love with an angle adjust headset so bring it on.
    for that matter, an angle set to steepen HA would raise BB and slacken STA. worth trying to see if thatís the issue?

Iím thinking its rider ďgeoĒ, arm length-to torso length- to leg length. Some fit well with new geo, others neutral, some worse. Those who loved bike fit in 90s likely in the latter group. It seems Iíve lucked out and am in the first group.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    Interesting. What's your inseam, RSAmerica?
    ~29 1/2-30Ē my saddle height is 680 mm from the center of the BB to the seat rails of my WTB SL8 saddle.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    9 deg backsweep is the wrong direction, try a straighter bar like a Renthal to get your hands further forward...G
    Sorry the seat tilt didn't work. I've got issues with numb hands on bad fits. Renthals work for me and I'm not a fan of super steep STAs. Last frame I got didn't need a super steep STA as I kept the travel in check.

mtbr member
    Have you tried Ergon GA3 grips? They have a small extension at the end of the grip that supports the outside of the palm. I've tried them and they seem to help distribute pressure somewhat.

Edit: I bought a pair of Ergon GS1's and they have helped quite a bit with hand discomfort and numbness. Exact rotation is pretty important, so it requires a little trial and error.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 1 Week Ago at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just ordered a Spank vibrocore handlebar after reading several reviews. The bar is filled with foam that dampens impact and vibrations. One of those could also help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Have you tried Ergon GA3 grips? They have a small extension at the end of the grip that supports the outside of the palm. I've tried them and they seem to help distribute pressure somewhat.

Edit: I bought a pair of Ergon GS1's and they have helped quite a bit with hand discomfort and numbness. Exact rotation is pretty important, so it requires a little trial and error.
    I had the GS1 for 10 years and loved them. But they made it worse for me on the Ripmo.

Switched to GE1, and the pressure is not so focused on the lower outside quarter of my palm from the GS1 Ďwingí. The pressure is still there, but distributed differently.

- Lord Charles Beresford

jcd's best friend
    I recently had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome on my right hand. My hand used to go completely numb on any bike I rode. I couldn't even type without my hand going numb. The surgery fixed the problem! My hand doesn't go numb anymore! Now my left hand goes numb instead. I was already diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand so at some point I will need surgery for it.

You may or may not have the same problem as I do, but it wouldn't hurt to get checked by a doctor just to make sure.
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    I am going to install the new OneUp bar that is supposed to have some vertical flex built in. I also have Ergon GA2 Fat grips which have a bit of taper. I currently have a stiff SIXC bar and will report on the difference.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

Rollin 29s
    Interesting. I swapped my SQLab 12 deg backswept riser bars for my Spank Spike 8deg backswept riser, and hand pain was significantly worse this morning. The Spank bars have about 10 mm more rise, but otherwise just the backsweep difference and both aluminum.

I tilted my saddle back mid ride, and that helped a little.

- Lord Charles Beresford

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    I am going to install the new OneUp bar that is supposed to have some vertical flex built in. I also have Ergon GA2 Fat grips which have a bit of taper. I currently have a stiff SIXC bar and will report on the difference.
    I was looking at that bar, will be interested to hear how you like it.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be