Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RipMo Companion

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  cryde 
#1 ·
Howdy all....
Currently on an Ibis Ripmo that I absolutely love. That being said I am looking to supplement it with something that is more on the XC side without being a full on race bike and certainly not a hardtail (too old and creaky for that).
The two bikes that I am currently looking at to fill the bill are the:
Pivot Mach 429 Trail and the Yeti SB4.5

What think ye? Suggestions? Too much overlap?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Ripley LS. I've been on all the Pivots and none are as fun as a Ripley. It's the closest thing to a Ripmo "Mini-me" as you're gonna find IMO.

#5 ·
I honestly would look to get something that's different enough that it's fairly easy to pick which one you want to ride, depending on the trails you'll be riding that day, to me that means something in the 100-120mm travel range like the Yeti SB 4.5, 2019 Giant Trance 29er, Kona HeiHei, Banshee Phantom, Evil Following, Trek Top Fuel w/120mm fork, to name a few.

#6 ·
Thanks LyNx.
That is definitely what I am going for and had also considered the Pivot 429 Trail (not new '19 model). The Yeti 4.5 is on the list but I'll have to take a look at the others. Pretty sure the Evil Following is out as I don't find that it pedals as well as the Pivot or Yeti from what I have read.

#8 ·
Ibis DV9 with 120 mm fork on Ibis 942 (35 mm rim) with 29x2.6 Maxxis Forekaster (they just hit Maxxis warehouse). It’s a hardtail but on those tires it should be a blast.

I am on a Mojo3 (27.5x2.6 Forekaster) , Eriksen Ti HT and May pick up a Ripmo and run the Forekaster on it. I demo the Ripmo with those heavy stock tire setup on carbon rims and will do another demo on the Forekaster. I am 58 old fart.

#10 ·
howdy all....
Currently on an ibis ripmo that i absolutely love. That being said i am looking to supplement it with something that is more on the xc side without being a full on race bike and certainly not a hardtail (too old and creaky for that).
The two bikes that i am currently looking at to fill the bill are the:
Pivot mach 429 trail and the yeti sb4.5

what think ye? Suggestions? Too much overlap?

Thanks!
ibis dv9 with 120 mm fork on ibis 942 (35 mm rim) with 29x2.6 maxxis forekaster (they just hit maxxis warehouse). It's a hardtail but on those tires it should be a blast.

I am on a mojo3 (27.5x2.6 forekaster) , eriksen ti ht and may pick up a ripmo and run the forekaster on it. I demo the ripmo with those heavy stock tire setup on carbon rims and will do another demo on the forekaster. I am 58 old fart.
really?

#11 ·
Those two seem like too much overlap with Ripmo. Seems like that bike has a pretty wide range. So if it were me, I would err toward the XC side of with something like SB 100. I hear this bike rides much bigger than it might seem. A friend has 4.5 and its range seems more trail bike to me. Those Yetis give you more bike than numbers would suggest.

#12 ·
A quick update...
Found a great deal on a Yeti 4.5. I'll swap out a few parts here and there and put some carbon wheels on and not so beefy tires and hopefully come in at the 25-26 lb range.
I can live with that. Thanks y'all!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.