Ripley V4 vs Tallboy V4.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Ripley V4 vs Tallboy V4.....

Been waiting on a head to to head of the new the super 120 bikes. I know Pinkbikeís did a quick take on it but wasnít to see if anyone has ridden back to back. So far what Iíve heard Ripley better climber and Tallboy better descender.

mtbr member
    The new Devinci Django would be a good one to toss into the mix!

mtbr member
    Those are two bikes among those I'm considering. I have TB3 and '16 Trek FEX. The 4 is really getting longer/lower/slacker than what I'm looking for. The '20 Ripley has gotten l/l/s too, but not quite as drastically as the TB4.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Those are two bikes among those I'm considering. I have TB3 and '16 Trek FEX. The 4 is really getting longer/lower/slacker than what I'm looking for. The '20 Ripley has gotten l/l/s too, but not quite as drastically as the TB4.
    I had a Fuel Ex and considering the 2020 version and TB4. How do you like your FEX vs TB3 for climbing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Deleted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Been waiting on a head to to head of the new the super 120 bikes. I know Pinkbikeís did a quick take on it but wasnít to see if anyone has ridden back to back. So far what Iíve heard Ripley better climber and Tallboy better descender.
    It's going to depend on the riding you do, neither might be good for you. If your riding isn't a long sustained climb followed by a long downhill- I'd make sure to demo a steep seat tube bike before buying one.

I couldn't deal with the pressure the Ripley V4 put on my hands. Ended up with a closeout V3 LS and much happier. Based on everything coming out this year- looks like the industry has cured any upgraditist I had.

I considered the Trail 429 as much as I hate the mario super boost rear end, but then they wouldn't sell me a frame with the cranks they think I need.

Trance would be another good option if you end up not liking steep seat angles.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    How do you like your FEX vs TB3 for climbing?
    I find the '16 FEX and TB3 to be very similar for me. I don't really prefer one over the other for climbing or otherwise.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am also in the market for a 120mm bike for xc duty. I am interested in the Ripley and the tall boy 4. Seems the Ripley is a little more conservative in the head angle so maybe a little quicker steering.... would love to demo each one on a trail I know but it isnít possible here in Portland. Waiting for some comparisons......

mtbr member
    A bike to consider for tech trail riding is the new '20 Trek Top Fuel. It has basically the same travel and geometry (HTA etc.) as the '16 Trek Fuel EX, which is similar to the TB3.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    A bike to consider for tech trail riding is the new '20 Trek Top Fuel. It has basically the same travel and geometry (HTA etc.) as the '16 Trek Fuel EX, which is similar to the TB3.
    Based on your posts I think you're like me and dont like the steep seat angles, the Top Fuel has a 75-75.5.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Based on your posts I think you're like me and dont like the steep seat angles, the Top Fuel has a 75-75.5.
    I demoed the new Ripley for 2 days. I really liked it. It descended better than my 135 mm Tallboy LTC. It climbed about the same. I tested the new Tallboy on the street only. It definitely fit me better and felt plusher than the Ripley. I believe you are correct with your assessment about the TB4 descending better. Iím leaning towards the TB4. The only other bike Iím considering is the SB130, but itís about 3 pounds heavier. The XL TB4 X01 reserve weighted 28.5 pounds which is exactly the same as my TB LTC.