mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ripley/sb4.5 mashup guidance

Been searching forums for the solution and just can't seem to find it. In search of the perfect bike that climbs like a yeti sb4.5 (fast) but descends like the Ripley LS (fun). For context I ride long technical climbs descents in VT. Lots of roots and rocks.

I demoed both and found myself laughing at how well the sb4.5 climbed but totally underwhelmed on the descent.

Had the opposite experience on the Ripley. Found it sluggish climbing. Kept hearing how well it climbs but found that while it will climb up anything it felt sluggish, especially after being on the yeti.

So wondering is there something I can do to the yeti to make it a more fun descender (bigger/better fork, better tires) or something to modify on the Ripley to make it a better peddling bike (smaller tires than 2.6 NN)?

Or is there a bike that climbs like the sb4.5 and descends like the Ripley LS?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Spot Mayhem

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ripley LS with lighter wheels and definitely lighter tires than the 2.6" 950-gram NN's. Carbon rims with a 2.35-2.4 Ardent Race or Rekon in back with a 2.6 Rekon (or DHF if you must) in front makes makes a much easier climber that still parties like a rock star down.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Spot Mayhem
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iíd still look hard at the Spot Mayhem. I wish I had a year ago when I got my new bike. I went with a similar bike to the Ripley and SB4.5. I went with a Niner JET. 130/120mm. Along with the suggestions above on mods to the Ripley. Iíd suggest bumping the front travel from 130mm to 140mm. Itís any easy inexpensive upgrade. It made a huge difference in my bike.

But again if I had a clean slate Iíd go Spot Mayhem all day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys. I keep seeing spot mayhem mentioned in these threads and would love to get on one, but I don't live anywhere near Golden, CO and am not sure that I can drop $4k on a bike I haven't ridden. I do see they have a 30 day money back guarantee so....hmmm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Suspension tweaking on the Ripley is very important for climbing and all around performance fwiw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah I figured. Should also mention the Ripley I demoed was gx eagle vs x01 eagle on the sb4.5 I rode. Assuming that could make a difference but not sure. If I could get the Ripley even close to the peddling efficiency I had on the sb4.5 I would buy in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have never heard of the Ripley pedaling bad. I wonder if your suspension wasnít set up correctly for you.

mtbr member
    Modify a 45c into a lunch ride version... pike 150mm or fox 36 150 and piggyback shock or...

Wait a bit for a sb130

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah I thought the SB130 was a false rumor considering the announcement lineup didn't include it, but seems like it could be announced on Monday? Fingers crossed as this sounds like THE ONE

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Five0 I agree everything I read about that bike focused on how well it climbed so was really surprised. The conclusion I came to is that climbing can mean different things to different people. For me I think efficiency/speed but others may think just shear ability. Because of dw-link and 2.6 inch tires it could get over anything just seemed slow to me. There is another shop around that demos ibis that I intend to try and hope for a different experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hightower. run mine in high position in 29er. Climbs great (my climbs are steep). Descends better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks durkind. Was thinking of trying the tall boy. Have you ridden both? How do they compare?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    [QUOTE=tcusick;13803222]Thanks durkind. Was thinking of trying the tall boy. Have you ridden both? How do they compare?

I demoed the 4.5, sb100, and Rocky instinct.

I ended up on a Tallboy 3 cuz I found one locally in like new shape for 50 percent off.

I was blown away how snappy the sb100 was. I kinda wish I had that bike .

But the Tallboy climbs better then the instinct for me , nearly as well as the 4.5 ; and I think it descends better then both of them. Maybe because I was on the cusp and sized up to a large tallboy3 .

Overall, Iím super satisfied. It is a great xc trail bike.

Happy riding

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tcusick View Post
    ... just seemed slow to me.

So did it ďseemĒ slow or was it actually slow? Did you Strava your rides? This is where Strava truly shines, by giving you a metric beyond what you feel.

I canít tell you how many rides Iíve had that felt fast or slow only to be debunked by actual facts.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gratefulone thanks will definitely get on the tall boy.

Blatant your point is a good one. I don't use Strava and suspect that my times were not all that different overall. In the chunkier sections I struggled a bit on the 4.5, actually couldn't clean a couple sections whereas the Ripley just rolled right through them. The small bump sections I felt like the sb4.5 kept its speed (felt like I was on flats or descending!) This is where the Ripley felt slow and I can now imagine could be due to incorrect suspension setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I came from Tallboy1. I went HT instead of Tallboy3 just try something different. I think HT is a great one bike quiver. My climbing times are not slower but descents much faster. I did a 100k endurance race with 8,000 ft climbing no problem. Same bike will go to Moab. I think either would be good but I chose HT due to only slight weight penalty but more suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Five0 I agree everything I read about that bike focused on how well it climbed so was really surprised. The conclusion I came to is that climbing can mean different things to different people. For me I think efficiency/speed but others may think just shear ability. Because of dw-link and 2.6 inch tires it could get over anything just seemed slow to me. There is another shop around that demos ibis that I intend to try and hope for a different experience.

2.6 tires are silly wide on a 120mm trail bike in dry conditions going uphill with speed in mind. 2.3 tire with suspension in mid setting hauls a$$ on the Ripley LS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Lots of good points. Tires make a big difference for sure. I was riding an Intense Primer which was a great climber and just felt all around fast, but when I threw a 2.5 on the front for better traction it felt really sluggish. I wasn't loving the Primer on the descents so I demo'd a bunch of bikes including the Hightower and Hightower LT. The Primer and Hightower felt faster going down, but when I checked the times the HTLT was considerably faster going down and surprisingly just as fast going up. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't time the rides back to back. I still feel like the Primer was the best climber, but ultimately bought the HTLT because I just enjoy the rides much more--especially downhill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Drich good perspective. Now thinking I need to add HTLT to my list. Really curious to try a 2.3 on the Ripley now but guessing the shop is not going to make that swap for a demo. I did have the suspension in the middle setting for the entire ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Drich good perspective. Now thinking I need to add HTLT to my list. Really curious to try a 2.3 on the Ripley now but guessing the shop is not going to make that swap for a demo. I did have the suspension in the middle setting for the entire ride.

If you had to ride the Ripley in the middle position then the suspension was definitely not set up properly for you, hope you get that second demo. That bike only needs the middle setting for gravel or fire road (maybe). Same goes for my Mayhem 29, open all the time and pedals better than anything else I have ridden. Much more composed on the descents though. Good luck with your search, tons of great options right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I did think the Ripley was a fun bike when I rode it, but just wanted more travel. The HTLT has been a great bike for me--awesome on longer rides but can still handle everything I am willing to ride downhill. I spent time on the Hightower and Hightower LT, and felt the regular is more 'poppy' but the LT was better for my kind of riding. I had 2.3 on the Primer and now 2.4 on the SCLT. I demo'd a Ripmo with 2.5s and it felt like a monster truck to me. The tires really do make a significant difference, as well as how the suspension is set up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Been doing a lot of research trying to figure this all out and just stumbled upon this great site which I think explains what I experienced. It's in Spanish so you'll need to translate.

Ripley has excellent anti-squat which resulted in high pedal kick back:
    http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/20...s-29-2018.html

SB4.5 has less good anti-squat which results in low pedal kick back and better efficiency:
    http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/20...c-29-2016.html

This is all new to me so I may not be understanding this correctly, but I believe that kickback is what made the Ripley feel sluggish to me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Road the Pivot Trail 429 today. It's really an amazing bike and think it does a great job of balancing climbing with descending. I definitely wouldn't put it in the same climbing category as the 4.5, but it is a distant second for what I've ridden in the short travel 29er category so far. I think this is a really good option for many people and should probably be the one I buy as well, but I just can't get the 4.5 out of my head.

The Trail 429 climbed great, but just not like that. Would love to have a bike that I could do some long distance stuff with as well occasionally and this one just didn't have that feel. It was very comfortable to ride, but maybe a bit too heavy and stiff? This made it great descending, lots of confidence and I would say more playful than the 4.5 for sure, but not like the Ripley. Excellent for cornering. I think it just does everything well, but didn't wow me up or down and for $7k I think I need the wow factor.

High hopes for the SB130 right now!

As a side note, I'm starting to wonder if some of these online bike reviews should use some kind of bench mark in their tests. I have read about so many bikes now that are great climbers ("Climbs like a goat" is a really overused term right now). After riding some of these bikes I have no idea what they are talking about. Great climber in relation to what? Right now I am comparing everything to the 4.5. Without that reference point it feels meaningless and probably misleading to just say it is a great climber.

mtbr member
    Ripley has excellent anti-squat which resulted in high pedal kick back:

SB4.5 has less good anti-squat which results in low pedal kick back and better efficiency:

... I believe that kickback is what made the Ripley feel sluggish to me?
    Normally, larger anti-squat is considered to be more efficient as it counters suspension bobbing while pedaling. The downside is more pedal kickback.

Bikes with less anti-squat, will bob more while pedaling.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I just got a Ripley and swapped to 2.35 ardent races. My setup is the GX build with 942 wheels and factory suspension. I demo'ed the same bike but with the al rims and performance suspension and there is a difference. Both are acceptable but the upgrades do feel better. The 2.35 tires work great and feel better. The 2.6 nobby nics just felt like balloons to me. I also had an poor suspension setup during one demo and it felt sluggish. Current setup feels great.
    The bikes that you are looking at are all fun. I was going back and forth between a Tallboy and the Ripley but the Ripley was snappier and more fun descending. Tallboy is a great bike and realistically I would have been happy with either. Ripley was super expensive but the Tallboy would have cost the same if not more and would not have had factory suspension.
    I thought about the Spot Mayhem also but didn't want to buy one without riding it. They are a great value as far as components go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rcrocha glad to hear Ripley is working for you. Sounding like SB130 is the bike for me but will probably be a few weeks before I can get on one to confirm. I'm test riding a Ripmo tomorrow just for giggles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good luck with your search. It sounds like you need a little more travel than me. Those bikes are super capable. I can use a XC bike but there are a few times when I needed more travel and the Ripley fits that for me. The Ripmo and the SB130 look like they will be a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rode the Ripmo yesterday and was blown away. Definitely the best overall bike I've ridden so far. I only rode it as I got a free demo and why not, but wow!

Climbing was quick and nimble. When I rode the Ripley I felt like I couldn't keep the 29 inch wheels rolling. Every time I hit some roots it was like the bike stopped and I had to expend a bunch of energy getting it going again. (I am now quite sure the setup on that demo was all wrong) On the Ripmo it just rolled over everything (even large stuff). I just stayed in the seat and pedalled! It felt like super efficient peddling. Obviously the downhill was just as fun. It didn't feel super poppy but have to assume with some suspension tweaking that could be changed. If I had to buy a bike today it would be this one.

This has changed everything I thought I knew about mountain bikes. This climbed better than all the other bikes I've ridden (not as quick as 4.5 on smoother terrain). The steep seat tube angle dw-link and fox36 with dpx2 is a great combo. The SB130 looks like a similar bike so think it now comes down to these 2 bikes.