Rip 9- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rip 9

mtbr member

Rip 9

I did a search for RIP 9, but came up with nothing? I was hoping to find some feedback from current RIP 9 riders on pluses and minuses of the bike, as well as see if I could find any comparisons with other bikes.

I've mainly been looking at Specialized Epic and Stumpy FSR ... I assume the RIP 9 would compare directly with Stumpy and JET 9 with Epic???

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66
    I did a search for RIP 9, but came up with nothing?
    Worked for me, click the linky...

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=10061800
    I should be out riding....

Carbon & Ti rule
    Pro,the Rip9 is a good fast bike that can handle almost anything & puts big smiles on your face.

Con's The Rip9 is so good at what it does if you don't ride it hard it will eat everything up so easy that you may think its boring.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    The RIP 9 is a ride all day go anywhere bike. You can do everything from neighborhood rides to all day mountain epics.

As Muzzanic said, the downside is that it can make crazy terrain seem gentle, big mountains seem like molehills, rooty terrain seem smooth, regular beer seem light, brunette women seem blond, turkey taste like ham, lead look like gold, black & white TV appear in color, snow feel warm, kites fly in no wind, and Christmas last all year.

It's really a great bike. I test rode several bikes, including the RIP 9, and ended up spending way more than I had budgeted on the RIP 9. Don't regret it for a minute, and think it was worth every penny.

mtbr member
    I agree with MightyDingus and muzzanic. Built mine this spring and love it. No regrets
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    Worked for me, click the linky...

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=10061800
    Funny... I got this when I clicked the linky:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

To the OP:

Did you check the reviews section? This is MTBReview, after all.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/n...5_1548crx.aspx

mtbr member

mtbr member
    It's plush and forgiving, and very capable. It's almost 'too much bike' if your riding doesn't have enough chunky, rocky, rough stuff though.

I've seen more than a few folks here say they race them, but racers and smooth XC types go more for the Jet.

It's amazingly stiff and strong, and with the rear Maxle is the perfect Clydesdale (or Clyde++) bike.

They're blowing out last year's model, some places still have S and XL at amazing prices. The geometry's slightly different though - they slacked the head tube out this year - so if you're into really steep terrain the newer one may be better for you.

fux
    Scooterist
    Loved my Rip, its a great alrounder.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-vn4COAk3UI?fs=1&amp;hl=nb_NO&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1&am p;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-vn4COAk3UI?fs=1&amp;hl=nb_NO&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1&am p;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    The RIP 9 is a ride all day go anywhere bike. You can do everything from neighborhood rides to all day mountain epics.

As Muzzanic said, the downside is that it can make crazy terrain seem gentle, big mountains seem like molehills, rooty terrain seem smooth, regular beer seem light, brunette women seem blond, turkey taste like ham, lead look like gold, black & white TV appear in color, snow feel warm, kites fly in no wind, and Christmas last all year.

It's really a great bike. I test rode several bikes, including the RIP 9, and ended up spending way more than I had budgeted on the RIP 9. Don't regret it for a minute, and think it was worth every penny.
    Now that sounds like one incredible bike!!! haha All joking aside it sure does sound like RIP 9 riders love their bikes ... I don't think I have read one negative comment about them.

Two more questions ... What is the typical weight of a RIP 9, and would you consider the RIP 9 a good fit for 24 hour endurance races?

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Funny... I got this when I clicked the linky:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

To the OP:

Did you check the reviews section? This is MTBReview, after all.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/n...5_1548crx.aspx
    WOW, pretty much all positive reviews there ... thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    It's plush and forgiving, and very capable. It's almost 'too much bike' if your riding doesn't have enough chunky, rocky, rough stuff though.

I've seen more than a few folks here say they race them, but racers and smooth XC types go more for the Jet.

It's amazingly stiff and strong, and with the rear Maxle is the perfect Clydesdale (or Clyde++) bike.

They're blowing out last year's model, some places still have S and XL at amazing prices. The geometry's slightly different though - they slacked the head tube out this year - so if you're into really steep terrain the newer one may be better for you.
    Sounds like the 2009 or 2010 model might be a better fit for me as I don't do any serious downhill riding? No Niner dealers in my area ... so where are they "blowing out" last year's models ... online or specific bike shops???

Thanks

mtbr member
    I have the older (original) version of the R.I.P. and I love it. I've ridden everything on it and it's been fantastic. Every once in awhile I think of buying a new bike, but as soon as I throw a leg over my old R.I.P., I'm in love again.

It's an amazing bike....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip 9-2-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    http://www.backyardbikes.com/

The bike shop above is within a 5-6 hour drive and I have family in the area, so I think I'll plan a visit and see what they have. Nice thing is they're a demo dealer and sounds like they always have a RIP and JET on hand to test ride. Either one of these models sound like very nice bikes ... just a matter of figuring out which one is the best fit for the majority of my riding.

Loser
    I heard of a local bike shop that had demo RIP9s and unfortunately/fortunately (depending on if you are viewing it from the financial or a "I got a new bike" angle) I took their Medium RIP9 out for a ride. They let me keep it for a weekend and I went on four rides in 3 days. I would have done 6 rides in 3 days on that bike if my legs would have held out. I ride MTB for one reason - to have fun, and no other bike I've owned (its a decent list) has been this much fun to ride. I ended up buying the demo for a decent price, but if I didn't do that I was going to get one of those blowout '10 frames.

It really wants you to keep your fingers off the brakes and go fast. I know that trait will get me in trouble eventually.

I really hate sounding like a shill here, but it is such a fun bike!
    John

Oh and don't worry about that extra degree of head angle in the 2011 frames - IMO the '10 frame is fine...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    I heard of a local bike shop that had demo RIP9s and unfortunately/fortunately (depending on if you are viewing it from the financial or a "I got a new bike" angle) I took their Medium RIP9 out for a ride. They let me keep it for a weekend and I went on four rides in 3 days. I would have done 6 rides in 3 days on that bike if my legs would have held out. I ride MTB for one reason - to have fun, and no other bike I've owned (its a decent list) has been this much fun to ride. I ended up buying the demo for a decent price, but if I didn't do that I was going to get one of those blowout '10 frames.

It really wants you to keep your fingers off the brakes and go fast. I know that trait will get me in trouble eventually.

I really hate sounding like a shill here, but it is such a fun bike!
    John

Oh and don't worry about that extra degree of head angle in the 2011 frames - IMO the '10 frame is fine...
    I let one of the good SS guys take my Rip9 for a ride & within 2 miles he had nailed things that he wouldn't even try on his bike & the smile on his face said it all.

You gotta hate people that will take your bike places that they wouldn't take there own bike.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Hey fux...where was that video shot?...sweet trail...nice job!
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I bought my '10 right before the blowouts commenced but on a good sale, no regrets. Out of the probably 10 or so mtbs I've owned this is my favorite so far. Buy it for the trails, but keep it for the rocks and DH you didn't realize that you want to do.

mtbr member
    WOW, pretty much all positive reviews there ... thanks for the link!
    No problem. You might want to check this one out for comparison, too:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/p...1_1548crx.aspx

(disclaimer - after doing my research, it's what I got)

mtbr member
    I've pretty much narrowed it down to the RIP or JET. RIP sounds like it might be the most "fun" all-around bike while the JET sounds like the perfect fit for the majority of the trails here in the Midwest ... and maybe better fit for 24 hr endurance racing (i think)???

I spoke with a Niner dealer this evening and sounds like the 2010 frame deals only go through the end of 2010, so not much time to make a decision if I want the discount (unless they extend it). Unfortunately I have no means of test riding either bike by the end of the year. Really hate to decide without a test ride.

If I lived in Colorado the RIP would be my obvious choice, but living in the Midwest it's not such an easy call ...

Newt Guy

The bike shop above is within a 5-6 hour drive and I have family in the area, so I think I'll plan a visit and see what they have. Nice thing is they're a demo dealer and sounds like they always have a RIP and JET on hand to test ride. Either one of these models sound like very nice bikes ... just a matter of figuring out which one is the best fit for the majority of my riding.
    From my experience with Midwestern trails, the RIP would be overkill. I think you hit it when you mentioned that if you lived somewhere like Colorado the choice would be easy with the RIP. It is a great bike. Unless your trails are very rocky, the Jet would be the ride I think would fit the Midwestern terrain I am familiar with. If I lived in the Midwest, I think I would be on a hardtail... probably a SIR9.

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If my trails were flat and I wanted to get in touch with my fast then the JET would be my choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyStruthers
    From my experience with Midwestern trails, the RIP would be overkill. I think you hit it when you mentioned that if you lived somewhere like Colorado the choice would be easy with the RIP. It is a great bike. Unless your trails are very rocky, the Jet would be the ride I think would fit the Midwestern terrain I am familiar with. If I lived in the Midwest, I think I would be on a hardtail... probably a SIR9.

If I only did recreation rides and shorter XC races I agree hardtail would be more than enough ... my current bike is a 26"Stumpy h/t. That said, I like to mix in a few 24 hour endurance races and hardtails really wear ya down on rougher terrain over 24 hours. Even though they are lighter I think the added fatigue makes them slower over the longer rides ... and clearly less comfortable! RIP might be more than I need but I definitely want full suspension for my next bike. Down the road a single-speed 29er would be a nice addition!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    If my trails were flat and I wanted to get in touch with my fast then the JET would be my choice.
    The trails I typically ride have plenty of short, punchy climbs, including switchbacks, but no serious downhills. Also a nice mix of rocks, roots, and obstacles, although again not as rough as typical "mountain" riding.

mtbr member
    Then the RIP will suit you just fine. It'll eat the rocks, roots, and obstacles with no problem. The short climbs will be fine. Hell, even the long ones won't be bad at all. I do 2-3 mile climbs on my RIP with no more problem than I've had on any other bike (I hate climbing) including my hard tail.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I don't know how big you are or how aggressive you are but personally, as a fellow midwest rider, I'd say the Jet9 would be slightly more ideal. I weigh about 180 totally geared up and took my buddy's Stumpjumper out on some black diamond trails here in the KC area. I put a ziptie around one stanchion and one on the rear shock and didn't even use half the travel! The Rip9 is a great bike but judging by how hard I rode that day, and considering the difficulty of the trail, I would be buying a Jet9 simply because the Rip9 is overkill. I would jump all over a good deal on a Rip9 but if both bikes were side by side and the same deal, I'm going Jet9.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    My take is that the Jet is just too heavy to be considered an XC race frame, so you might as well go with the RIP for a wee bit more weight and have all the fun of an AM Bike. I am not a Niner fan, but do like the RIP and a few personal riding friends absolutely dig the bike. The only problem is the BB is a bit low. I would really test the Pivot 429 before buying the RIP, although you will probably be happy either way.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Great shop right in my backyard. I bought my Jet from them and love it. The trail system just down the road is a good test bed for midwest riding with a mix of short hills, sand, rocks, smooth flowing sections etc. If the snow is right you can ride the trails in the winter too. Just be sure to call first as the trail system is closed if wet - need a good snow base or frozen solid.

good luck

mtbr member
    I did a search for RIP 9, but came up with nothing? I was hoping to find some feedback from current RIP 9 riders on pluses and minuses of the bike, as well as see if I could find any comparisons with other bikes.

I've mainly been looking at Specialized Epic and Stumpy FSR ... I assume the RIP 9 would compare directly with Stumpy and JET 9 with Epic???
    I have a RIP (XTR) For Sale in Ohio. Let me know if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29WI
    Great shop right in my backyard. I bought my Jet from them and love it. The trail system just down the road is a good test bed for midwest riding with a mix of short hills, sand, rocks, smooth flowing sections etc. If the snow is right you can ride the trails in the winter too. Just be sure to call first as the trail system is closed if wet - need a good snow base or frozen solid.

good luck
    Good to hear! I spoke with Mike (owner ?) last night and he should be sending me some build info/options this morning. Sounded like a real nice guy to deal with so I hope and can work something out ...

So did you try both the JET and RIP before buying ... any more feedback you can give relating to either model (good or bad)? Also what drivetrain did you go with 1x, 2x, etc? Mike mentioned that he sells way more JET models compared with RIP in that area, and said he rides a 1x10 JET himself. I'm thinking 1x10 with 11-36 cassette would be perfect for my riding style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail
    My take is that the Jet is just too heavy to be considered an XC race frame, so you might as well go with the RIP for a wee bit more weight and have all the fun of an AM Bike. I am not a Niner fan, but do like the RIP and a few personal riding friends absolutely dig the bike. The only problem is the BB is a bit low. I would really test the Pivot 429 before buying the RIP, although you will probably be happy either way.
    Sounds like the JET could be built up in the 25-27 lb range ... that's light enough for me. I don't want something so light that durability becomes an issue?

I'm not familiar with Pivot at all, but I will check it out online before making final decision. Based on the feedback I've seen here relating to Niner bikes they sure seem to get rave reviews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    I don't know how big you are or how aggressive you are but personally, as a fellow midwest rider, I'd say the Jet9 would be slightly more ideal. I weigh about 180 totally geared up and took my buddy's Stumpjumper out on some black diamond trails here in the KC area. I put a ziptie around one stanchion and one on the rear shock and didn't even use half the travel! The Rip9 is a great bike but judging by how hard I rode that day, and considering the difficulty of the trail, I would be buying a Jet9 simply because the Rip9 is overkill. I would jump all over a good deal on a Rip9 but if both bikes were side by side and the same deal, I'm going Jet9.
    I stay between the 160-165 lb range so your probably right about not needing more suspension. About the only time I might use it would be fun rides in Winter Park, CO area. I went out there for the first time this past Fall and had a blast! Hope to make it out that way a couple times/year from now on, but the vast majority of my riding will always be in Iowa and Wisconsin ... and maybe a few rides in Missouri.

mtbr member
    Then the RIP will suit you just fine. It'll eat the rocks, roots, and obstacles with no problem. The short climbs will be fine. Hell, even the long ones won't be bad at all. I do 2-3 mile climbs on my RIP with no more problem than I've had on any other bike (I hate climbing) including my hard tail.
    I guess I'm one of the oddballs ... I actually like climbing? Not great at it, but I enjoy the challenge and workout. Of course serious climbs are pretty limited here in Iowa.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I might have a Jet in XL for sale, Check your Private Messages. Miss my AIR9 a lot.

Loser
    I love climbing a well. Here in NE USA there are a lot of hills, but none too long. If you are used to a hardtail, you will notice that the RIP9 is not as efficient, but it is a very good suspension design.

mtbr member
    The owner of my favorite LBS usually rides long-travel 26ers. For a laugh, he took one of his entry level HT 29ers out on his usual trails, and was shocked at how capable the bike was. He basically came back thinking his next bike will not be a short-travel 29er, but a HT.

I ride the RIP because a lot of my more 'out there' rides have long stretches of washboard and singletrack with regularly-spaced bumps. Also, long climbs where you're just cresting a carpet of 1-5" high rocks on an incline for a mile. Those SUCK on hard tails. But, that's technical SoCal for you.

So, even though I have a RIP, I'm saying it's not the bike for you if you ride mostly swoopy, switch-back type singletrack, or if your climbs are mostly 'forgiving', steep, and long. My Mojo was frankly significantly more fun on that stuff than my RIP is. It's just that the RIP makes the annoying parts of the ride that sucked out all the joy disappear, that I'm willing to take that hit.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the JET could be built up in the 25-27 lb range ... that's light enough for me. I don't want something so light that durability becomes an issue?

I'm not familiar with Pivot at all, but I will check it out online before making final decision. Based on the feedback I've seen here relating to Niner bikes they sure seem to get rave reviews.
    The second link I sent you was to the Pivot 429 reviews. Google it, too. It's a truly amazing bike. I took mine (Christmas present) out for its first ride - just a lap around our local trail out the front door - and when I came back, my wife asked if something was wrong. When I asked why she would ask that, she said I was back so quickly!

I initially thought I'd be getting a new Stumpy 29er to replace my Stumpy 26er. Also tried the Tallboy, Epic, and quick spins on a couple of others. I can't remember if I tried a RIP or not; it wasn't on my "short list", though when it came down to it.

In the end, I bought the 429. Partly based on some of the reviews here and elsewhere around the net. Here's on for you ("Pivot Mach 429 We have extensively tested the Pivot already see our test videos on YouTube. Right now, we use the Pivot as the gold standard to compare other bikes to."). Read these guys comparison between the SJ, 429 and RIP.

Part 1: http://www.29eronline.com/blog/591/
    Part 2: http://www.29eronline.com/blog/593/
    Part 3: http://www.29eronline.com/blog/niner...jumper-part-3/

They liked the RIP by a nose. Others pick the 429. Note, this test didn't use a brain SJ, so I'm not sure how they'd rank them with the Expert level SJ, which is in the same cost range as the RIP and 429.

Just some more info for you to consider. In the end, you couldn't go wrong with any of the bikes you've mentioned and if the RIP fits you the best... and you can get a great deal on it, then that may tip the decision!

Newt Guy
    The owner of my favorite LBS usually rides long-travel 26ers. For a laugh, he took one of his entry level HT 29ers out on his usual trails, and was shocked at how capable the bike was. He basically came back thinking his next bike will not be a short-travel 29er, but a HT.

I ride the RIP because a lot of my more 'out there' rides have long stretches of washboard and singletrack with regularly-spaced bumps. Also, long climbs where you're just cresting a carpet of 1-5" high rocks on an incline for a mile. Those SUCK on hard tails. But, that's technical SoCal for you.

So, even though I have a RIP, I'm saying it's not the bike for you if you ride mostly swoopy, switch-back type singletrack, or if your climbs are mostly 'forgiving', steep, and long. My Mojo was frankly significantly more fun on that stuff than my RIP is. It's just that the RIP makes the annoying parts of the ride that sucked out all the joy disappear, that I'm willing to take that hit.
    Good stuff.

Also, if the trails are relatively flat, you just won't be able to really get the bigger bike up to speed. I have been there and there is nothing worse than riding a bike that you can't really get up to good speed. It sucks energy out of ya just trying to keep it flying on the flats, and even some descents that demand pedaling to really rip on you just can't get her going like you can a lighter and more agile bike. Sometimes bigger just isn't better.

And the difference in a 26 inch HT and a 29er HT is literally like night and day. Hot and cold. I would never even consider riding a 26" HT, but a 29er HT is a whole different story.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Really starting to lean towards a JET 9 build for local trails and riding style. Few questions relating to components ...

Fork:
    Reba XX the way to go or will regular Reba provide just as nice of a ride only without remote lockout? Also how beneficial is "through axle" option?

BB & Cranks:
    XO the way to go here, or will X9 be better option for added durability?

Cassette:
    Planning to go with 1x10 or 2x10, is SRAM XO or X9 cassette the way to go, or is Shimano 11-36 better option?

Wheels:
    Stan's ZTR wheels and hubs good, or do you recommend a better option?

As always, thanks for the great feedback, you all have been a huge help!

JBO
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    FORK - TALAS 95/120
    BB&CRANKS - XO
    CASSETTE - 12-36 XO - run it 2 x 10 at first then switch to 1 x 10 if you want
    WHEELS - EASTON HAVEN ALLOY (or carbon if you have the moolah)

With this setup and a reverb seatpost, it'd be a killer ride!

XO is way better than X9, but XX is not amazingly better than XO, so XO is the winner (IMHO).

Newt Guy
    Fork:
    Reba XX the way to go or will regular Reba provide just as nice of a ride only without remote lockout? Also how beneficial is "through axle" option?
    Reba is a good fork. I feel that the through axle makes for a stiffer and more comforting final result, but I rode skewers for years. But then my Reba is a 140mm. No sense in riding anything on a 140mm but some kind of through axle. A QR skewer on an 80mm or a 100mm fork, maybe makes more sense. COnsidering you are between a RIP and a Jet, I would go through axle all the way.

BB & Cranks:
    Can't help much there. I run XTR cranks and Chris King BB's on all my bikes.

Cassette:
    Planning to go with 1x10 or 2x10, is SRAM XO or X9 cassette the way to go, or is Shimano 11-36 better option?
    I sure like the 2x10 idea, but have not tried it yet. I think for your area the 2x10 stuff would be super cool.

Wheels:
    I ride Stans almost exclusively. I have Flows and 355s and Archs. All great wheels. The Archs are suprisingly strong. I have really smacked them hard, and they didn't flinch. I am impressed with the Arches. I am equally impressed with the Flows that are on my WFO, but of course they are a big wheel for a bigger bike.

As always, thanks for the great feedback, you all have been a huge help!
    Good luck and take pictures! I'm stoked for YOUR bike whatever it ends up being! How crazy is that? Hehe.

~Frosty Struthers

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    Pro,the Rip9 is a good fast bike that can handle almost anything & puts big smiles on your face.

Con's The Rip9 is so good at what it does if you don't ride it hard it will eat everything up so easy that you may think its boring.
    The ride is so good it almost levels rocky, technical terrain and makes the ride boring. I'm a Turner homer but I can't justify buying one because the Niner is so good....

mtbr member
    Really starting to lean towards a JET 9 build for local trails and riding style. Few questions relating to components ...

Fork:
    The through axle stiffens up the entire front end. I'd go with it no matter what fork you choose.

BB & Cranks:
    I went with X9 on my RIP. Better durability and lower price is well worth the very slight weight penalty.

Cassette:
    I'm running 2x9 now, so I'd have to recommend 2x10 based on that. I went all X9, and I'm very happy with it.

Wheels:
    I'm running Stan's Flows with ZTR hubs so I can take bigger hits with no worry. I've beaten the snot out of my Flows on roots, rocks, divots, ruts, etc, and they are still perfectly true. I went with the Flows over the Arches because they are stronger and only about 2oz per wheel heavier. Minor weight penalty for a lot of peace of mind.

From the sound of things, you'll be very happy with the Jet. The RIP may be better for your yearly trips, but you'll spend more time on the small stuff.

Carbon & Ti rule

Rip9 Video

Jus another Vid to show how well a Rip9 eats up trails,This is a grade 5 trail but the Rip9 makes it look like just another XC trail & that how it feels to me

to.http://www.youtube.com/user/muzzanic.../0/H58LxkfLjCM

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I might have a Jet in XL for sale, Check your Private Messages. Miss my AIR9 a lot.
    I guess that bike didn't last too long for you. What happened?

mtbr member
    Jus another Vid to show how well a Rip9 eats up trails,This is a grade 5 trail but the Rip9 makes it look like just another XC trail & that how it feels to me

That sure looks like a FUN trail system! Out of curiosity, how would your JET handle that trail ... similar speed capability but a bit rougher on your back I suppose?

What fork do you run on your JET?

mtbr member
    The through axle stiffens up the entire front end. I'd go with it no matter what fork you choose.

I went with X9 on my RIP. Better durability and lower price is well worth the very slight weight penalty.

I'm running 2x9 now, so I'd have to recommend 2x10 based on that. I went all X9, and I'm very happy with it.

I'm running Stan's Flows with ZTR hubs so I can take bigger hits with no worry. I've beaten the snot out of my Flows on roots, rocks, divots, ruts, etc, and they are still perfectly true. I went with the Flows over the Arches because they are stronger and only about 2oz per wheel heavier. Minor weight penalty for a lot of peace of mind.

From the sound of things, you'll be very happy with the Jet. The RIP may be better for your yearly trips, but you'll spend more time on the small stuff.
    Sounds like solid advice all the way around. I agree that X9 build might be my best option. Really not much of a weight weenie so I definitely place more of a priority on durability over saving a few grams. I hope to keep the bike between 26-28 lbs and I "think" that can be done with X9 build and Stan's XTR wheels/hubs?

Still debating on ideal fork for the JET??? I rarely use lockouts so if I can save weight and money by losing remote lockout, while maintaining quality of ride, that's the route I will take. Any fork advice?

Always Learning
    That sure looks like a FUN trail system! Out of curiosity, how would your JET handle that trail ... similar speed capability but a bit rougher on your back I suppose?

The JET in Iowa with a REBA XX is fine and dandy. 100mm seems to be the latest trend on the JET, but a 80mm fork on the JET is super fast for XC racing and matches the rear travel. I'm running the 100mm and not complaining.

Carbon & Ti rule

The Jet9 has the Reba XX 100mm Remote lockout / Tapered steerer & through Axle,

In rhe dry the Jet9 is not alot slower through there,I is alot ruffer through there than it looks on the video.

The biggest thing I fine with the Jet through there is that I can't stop it as quick having less grip in the rear ( on the same tyres ) there are alot of places were you get air borne & have to land on the brakes to slow it down to make the next corner,so alot more heart in the mouth moments on the Jet9.

The next thing with the jet9 it doesn't fly as well as the Rip9,I have put it down to the fact that with the Rip9 after the front wheel leaves the ramp/Jump or what ever we want to call it the weight is soaked up buy the rear & doesn't give a last minite kick up of the rear,so the bike flys & lands flat.

With the Jet being harder in the rear you have to put alot more into lifting the nose so that the rear doesn't kick up & have you coming down nose first & wanting to send you over the bars. Not a big problem but it is there.

Also on very hard braking into corners you can keep the rip strighter if you want were as the Jet9 is more likely to lock the rear wheel & you have to flick it back into line or were you want it.( this is a more fun part of the Jet9 but when you really do need to get rid of alot of speed this can result in a bit of a moment )

So on that track the Rip9 is on average about 25 seconds faster through that track but can't say how much that would change if I was fitter & could pedal faster as that is the limiting factor the speed is not a problem for me but making it is.

In the wet however the Rip9 would eat the Jet through there by heaps,When I go through there in the wet on the Rip9 I kind of shake my head a bit all the way down the trail thinking this just shouldn't go this fast,The gip it offers up is stunning & I mean stunning.

I have passed faster riders than me through there & lost them within 3 corners in the wet & had them make comments at the bottom like does that bike not know its raining.

In the wet the Jet9 is still a very good & fast bike but doesn't let you build up the trust that the Rip does.

I can overlay My Ride data between the 2 bikes on my computer but in the wet there is no point because they are so different, ( have not tryed to work it out but Im guessing yes guessing but it could be as much as 15 % )

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

RIP is much better

The Jet9 has the Reba XX 100mm Remote lockout / Tapered steerer & through Axle,

In rhe dry the Jet9 is not alot slower through there,I is alot ruffer through there than it looks on the video.

The biggest thing I fine with the Jet through there is that I can't stop it as quick having less grip in the rear ( on the same tyres ) there are alot of places were you get air borne & have to land on the brakes to slow it down to make the next corner,so alot more heart in the mouth moments on the Jet9.

The next thing with the jet9 it doesn't fly as well as the Rip9,I have put it down to the fact that with the Rip9 after the front wheel leaves the ramp/Jump or what ever we want to call it the weight is soaked up buy the rear & doesn't give a last minite kick up of the rear,so the bike flys & lands flat.

With the Jet being harder in the rear you have to put alot more into lifting the nose so that the rear doesn't kick up & have you coming down nose first & wanting to send you over the bars. Not a big problem but it is there.

Also on very hard braking into corners you can keep the rip strighter if you want were as the Jet9 is more likely to lock the rear wheel & you have to flick it back into line or were you want it.( this is a more fun part of the Jet9 but when you really do need to get rid of alot of speed this can result in a bit of a moment )

So on that track the Rip9 is on average about 25 seconds faster through that track but can't say how much that would change if I was fitter & could pedal faster as that is the limiting factor the speed is not a problem for me but making it is.

In the wet however the Rip9 would eat the Jet through there by heaps,When I go through there in the wet on the Rip9 I kind of shake my head a bit all the way down the trail thinking this just shouldn't go this fast,The gip it offers up is stunning & I mean stunning.

I have passed faster riders than me through there & lost them within 3 corners in the wet & had them make comments at the bottom like does that bike not know its raining.

In the wet the Jet9 is still a very good & fast bike but doesn't let you build up the trust that the Rip does.

I can overlay My Ride data between the 2 bikes on my computer but in the wet there is no point because they are so different, ( have not tryed to work it out but Im guessing yes guessing but it could be as much as 15 % )
    I had a Jet and didn't like it a ton. It was skittish and didn't descend very well. The Jet was pretty lackluster to me.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I had a Jet and didn't like it a ton. It was skittish and didn't descend very well. The Jet was pretty lackluster to me.
    I still like my Jet9 & think for 3 inches of travel it can handle lots but I put the Jet9 down as the 2nd best bike I have ridden,but the Rip9 is the most stunning bike I have ever ridden ( for my riding )

I have often thought about the Tallboy but I just don't think its upto what I would want it to do & I just don't like the link setup on the rear triangle,A good flex point IMO with the longer arms on it,but that not based on me having ridden 1 it is more about what some riders of them have told me & hate for that type of setup.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    I guess that bike didn't last too long for you. What happened?
    I think I should have just stayed with an AIR 9, there is something very efficient about a hardtail on the climbs, my impression is there are better rewards for effort.

Keep in mind, I already own a RIP and a WFO, I made a mistake and should have stayed with an AIR. The positive is someone will benefit from my error.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I still like my Jet9 & think for 3 inches of travel it can handle lots but I put the Jet9 down as the 2nd best bike I have ridden,but the Rip9 is the most stunning bike I have ever ridden ( for my riding )

I have often thought about the Tallboy but I just don't think its upto what I would want it to do & I just don't like the link setup on the rear triangle,A good flex point IMO with the longer arms on it,but that not based on me having ridden 1 it is more about what some riders of them have told me & hate for that type of setup.

There has been no flex, that I have been able to feel, on off camber singletrack, on my new Jet. It is stunning it that regard.

We have had record amounts of rain here in So Cal for December, maybe that's what I'm feeling in the Jet or some of the more slippery stuff, it keeps you completely on your toes with it's quickness, even running a 100mm fork. Front tire was a Racing Ralph 2.4, rear a mountain king old style 2.4.

mtbr member
    May 2006

What tyres are you running on your RIP to give you that level of confidence on those wet rutted trails? Liked the video too, am now subscribed to your YouTube.

mtbr member
    Swet trail Muzz But seriously, that isn't XC? and there you were earlier in the thread talking about the newer angles being crutches and look what bike you ride that trail on. I swear I'm gona have to save the $$ to come over to NZ and see if maybe these vids are somehow looking wasy easier than they are think I'd bring the Monkey maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma
    What tyres are you running on your RIP to give you that level of confidence on those wet rutted trails? Liked the video too, am now subscribed to your YouTube.
    Hi that was just on a set of WTB Moto Raptor 2.1 tyres that I ride to work on, For that trail the bike works best on 2.4 Ardent on the front & 2.1 Ignitor on the rear.

I have used the 2.2 race kings on there to but they don't have the stopping power.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Swet trail Muzz But seriously, that isn't XC? and there you were earlier in the thread talking about the newer angles being crutches and look what bike you ride that trail on. I swear I'm gona have to save the $$ to come over to NZ and see if maybe these vids are somehow looking wasy easier than they are think I'd bring the Monkey maybe
    Hi,You could ride for days in there on trails like that & not do 1 twice.

That park is 40 miles from my gate but don't get there as often as I should,Lots of people move there just because of the trails.

Anyone who videos there rides will know how much slower the video makes the trail look so that in mind I wouldn't want to hit 1 of those trees on that run my max speed was 58 kmph ( 36.25 mph ) so close to being maxed out for me with 39 front & 11 rear being my highest gear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Flex on the Tallboy??? Are you kidding??? I do own both (RIP9 & Tallboy) and can vouch the ONLY place I won't be taking the 'boy is shuttling Whistler, North Star and Downieville.

My Tallboy is exactly 5 POUNDS lighter than the RIP and every-bit as stiff even though it has I9/ARCH's vs. 3x/FLOW's on the RIP.

- Trust me, there are very few places a Tallboy shouldn't go and even that's a stretch under the right rider.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Flex on the Tallboy??? Are you kidding??? I do own both (RIP9 & Tallboy) and can vouch the ONLY place I won't be taking the 'boy is shuttling Whistler, North Star and Downieville.

My Tallboy is exactly 5 POUNDS lighter than the RIP and every-bit as stiff even though it has I9/ARCH's vs. 3x/FLOW's on the RIP.

- Trust me, there are very few places a Tallboy shouldn't go and even that's a stretch under the right rider.
    Yes I haven't got to ride 1 yet but will look forward to it,They look to handle a bit more like the jet9 to me just looking a video's.

The weight is not a big thing for me the deal maker or braker for me would be what level of grip they will make, As for the 5 lb lighter than the Rip9 that might be with your build but I don't buy into this not compairing apples with apples.

Is your Tallboy sub 23 Lb ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No, not sub 23, more like 25-26 with KSi950r seatpost, 120mm Fox, 2.2 tires on I9/ARCH's with everything else being XTR except for the XO brakes with 185mm rotors on both ends....

- Not that I'm gonna pat-myself-on-the-back but today's ride I was right on one of my bro's wheels and he's on a 6" Firebird.

You need to ride one before labeling it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    No, not sub 23, more like 25-26 with KSi950r seatpost, 120mm Fox, 2.2 tires on I9/ARCH's with everything else being XTR except for the XO brakes with 185mm rotors on both ends....

- Not that I'm gonna pat-myself-on-the-back but today's ride I was right on one of my bro's wheels and he's on a 6" Firebird.

You need to ride one before labeling it.
    Same weight as my Jet9 then & about 2.5 Lb lighter than My Rip9.

I will ride 1 at first chance because they look to be a nice bike & I like carbon & it has alot of the things I like but like all bikes there are things I don't like.

Maybe with there next model they will put the rear shock lower in the frame & lower the centre of gravity & put a 142mm rear end with Through axle & then it would have me putting it on my shopping list for sure.

They are one of the nicest looking bikes out there but but would always choose funtion over looks & weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good to hear! I spoke with Mike (owner ?) last night and he should be sending me some build info/options this morning. Sounded like a real nice guy to deal with so I hope and can work something out ...

So did you try both the JET and RIP before buying ... any more feedback you can give relating to either model (good or bad)? Also what drivetrain did you go with 1x, 2x, etc? Mike mentioned that he sells way more JET models compared with RIP in that area, and said he rides a 1x10 JET himself. I'm thinking 1x10 with 11-36 cassette would be perfect for my riding style.
    Mike is the owener and a real great guy. I pre-ordered a Jet from him before they were released. He maintains a nice rental fleet and may have a RIP and Jet that you can demo / rent for the day. Not sure what is left in stock. My Jet is 2X with a Reba, mostly xt build. I was back and forth with the Jet and Air9 but did not ride the Rip. With the Jet recalls I spent a lot of time on the Air9 and loved it but was happy to get the Jet back. I seem to ride it in pp most of the time so you can tell I lean toward a HT vs the more all mountain Rip set up. That said, I find the front end of both the Jet and Air9 to be very very quick and have a few scars to show for from the initial learning curve. I'm not a racer and there is a good chance that the Rip may have been a better choice to keep me upright.

I don't know if you can go wrong with either, guys race the Rip with the right set up and weekend riders like me are out on the jet. I have days when I pine for a SS Air9 and then the next week I think a Rip may have been a better idea. All are fantastic wips.

If you are planning to come out let me know and we can try to meet up. If you can throw a leg over an XL frame you can give my Jet a try.

mtbr member
    My Tallboy is exactly 5 POUNDS lighter than the RIP
    How much of that is the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How much of that is the frame?

IIRC, 3 to 3.5 pounds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    frame weight isnt everything. I went from a 6.5lb to a 4.2lb single speed frame and i dont even notice the weight overall. I do notice the improved geometry and feel of the bike. yes, a full carbon frame will be lighter than the rip but ive demoed a rip and other carbon full suspension bikes and ide ADD 5lbs to the Rip before i ever had to ride one of the carbon frames.

mtbr member
    IIRC, 3 to 3.5 pounds.
    That is a lot. However, I'd be willing to bet money that the RIP is quite a bit stiffer (especially with rear Maxle), it's just not really perceptible or necessary unless you're an uber-clydesdale ex-power-lifting fat-ass like me.

I'm not one of those people who gets into pissing matches over bikes or qualities, though. Just pointing out it's all about the right tool for the job, eh?

I've heard nothing but praise for the Tallboy. I'd ride one if I were just 200 and didn't ride in such rocky conditions. Whenever a peach-sized rock pinged off the downtube of my old Mojo, I cringed. I don't have the nerve for a carbon bike anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That is a lot. However, I'd be willing to bet money that the RIP is quite a bit stiffer (especially with rear Maxle), it's just not really perceptible or necessary unless you're an uber-clydesdale ex-power-lifting fat-ass like me.

I'm not one of those people who gets into pissing matches over bikes or qualities, though. Just pointing out it's all about the right tool for the job, eh?

I've heard nothing but praise for the Tallboy. I'd ride one if I were just 200 and didn't ride in such rocky conditions. Whenever a peach-sized rock pinged off the downtube of my old Mojo, I cringed. I don't have the nerve for a carbon bike anymore.

- LOL

FWIW - I'm 200 pounds and have regular 'ol QR's on the back-ends of both my RIP and Tallboy. I can't tell a difference.

And yeah, if my conditions were more rocks than dirt I'd likely have a bit of fear for a full carbon frame as well...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just bought a JET frame from BYB. I also was between a JET and a RIP, but after taking to Mike, it seemed pretty clear the JET was the way to go for strictly Midwest riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loginhater
    I just bought a JET frame from BYB. I also was between a JET and a RIP, but after taking to Mike, it seemed pretty clear the JET was the way to go for strictly Midwest riding.
    Good to hear, myself and and friend did the same last week with BYB! Medium kermit frame and small black frame for now, however I have to be fitted by Mike to make sure small will be right for me (my size is almost right in middle of small/medium). I would have really liked the tang color, but don't think he has any.

Mike seems like a great guy to work with so really looking forward to the build. Unfortunately I was recently involved in a accident and received a pretty substantial head injury (skull fractures, etc), so for the now I'm on the mend. This site has been a great "getaway" during my recovery and I've been fortunate to receive a lot of good feedback relating to build options, etc. Under the 29er forum look at "JET 9 Build" post if you have any interest.

Have you decided on all components, wheels, hubs, etc. If so I'd love to hear what your going with.

Here's the link to other post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...96#post7651796

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I was recently involved in a accident and received a pretty substantial head injury (skull fractures, etc), so for the now I'm on the mend.
    Been there dude, Mastoid sinus and temporal bone fractures, vertigo for months until the fluid cleared out of my ear, lots of headaches and dizziness, etc. It really sucked, but fortunately enough a couple years later, it's as if it never happened. Hope the mending goes well.

mtbr member
    Been there dude, Mastoid sinus and temporal bone fractures, vertigo for months until the fluid cleared out of my ear, lots of headaches and dizziness, etc. It really sucked, but fortunately enough a couple years later, it's as if it never happened. Hope the mending goes well.
    Good to hear from another that has been thru similar injury ...

I have Temporal Bone fractures on both sides, Basler and Occipital skull fractures at rear of head. Right now my hearing is completely messed up (especially left side), but I am still able to function fairly normal, just not much activity of course. Accident just happened last Friday, but I can't wait for the day that all is back to normal (close anyway) so I can be back to work, back on a bike, and back on the ice (i also officiate ice hockey) ... pays for my biking habit!

If you have any personal advice relating to injury, I'm all ears!

mtbr member
    I dunno, it's all pretty basic, same stuff you'll hear from your doctors. Be very patient with yourself and don't push anything at all. You'll just lengthen your recovery period and the atrophy of your muscles and skill will be that much more once you get back on.

Also, pay attention to the mental side of things. You sound like you hit harder than I did, and my brain felt, for lack of a better term, scrambled for a while. In the beginning I noticed but didn't really care (I think that's a recovery mechanism) but months later, when I was returning to work, I noticed I just couldn't handle stress as well at all. I had to work with my boss to lower my workload until I caught up.

mtbr member
    Can we ask what happened? Was it you got nailed while reffing a game? I watch and have played ice hockey and really admire the refs for doing their job and managing to not get clocked by the puck or players.

Hope you heal well, depending on severe it was it could take along while before you feel "normal" again. I don't personally know, but my bro sure does, he had a horrific accident while rallying last year, was not pleasant being right there and watching it happen. He and his co-driver are still recovering from it.

Good to hear from another that has been thru similar injury ...

I have Temporal Bone fractures on both sides, Basler and Occipital skull fractures at rear of head. Right now my hearing is completely messed up (especially left side), but I am still able to function fairly normal, just not much activity of course. Accident just happened last Friday, but I can't wait for the day that all is back to normal (close anyway) so I can be back to work, back on a bike, and back on the ice (i also officiate ice hockey) ... pays for my biking habit!

You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Can we ask what happened? Was it you got nailed while reffing a game? I watch and have played ice hockey and really admire the refs for doing their job and managing to not get clocked by the puck or players.

Hope you heal well, depending on severe it was it could take along while before you feel "normal" again. I don't personally know, but my bro sure does, he had a horrific accident while rallying last year, was not pleasant being right there and watching it happen. He and his co-driver are still recovering from it.
    Oh Boy, that's quite the spill your brother took! I have a co-worker that races sprint cars and he had a similar accident/roll last year. Fortunately for him only minor muscle/back pains, but no long-term issues. he was also there during my accident.

As far as my accident, unfortunately nothing exciting like big hockey game or race, mine was a work accident. I work in aviation maintenance and I was attempting to deal with an aircraft problem. I work with larger commercial aircraft and long-story short I fell roughly 15 feet, head first, directly onto 18 inch thick concrete. There was a control cable that operates an external door that had become frozen. I was attempting to manually free this cable and last thing I remember was reaching for the cable off of a freight loader.

I have zero memory of the actual fall or impact. I'm told the left side of my head was first to hit and I was found laying in a pool of blood (all of which exited my ears)? Oddly enough I was not completely knocked out as I had to be held down so I wouldn't get up. Fortunately for me medics (and co-workers) did a great job of taking care of me and I was shipped to emergency/trauma center pretty quickly. The whole weekend was a bit of a blur, but it appears I have had a very fortunate outcome.

Several fractures (temporal bone fracture both sides, basler and occipital skull fracture at rear of head, and my hearing is very messed up/possible inner ear fractures or breaks)? Sounds bad I suppose but in the end most were surprised I survived and/or came away without any brain damage ... of course that's still to be determined! ha Best part is I'm still here with my friends and family!

On top of that I was in the middle of a deal for two JET 9 frames that had to be decided on the day I was injured (one for me, one for friend and race teammate). Fortunately for me my friend was good enough to take care of everything and we both have frames waiting on us. I know bikes have very little importance compared with health, but we are both pretty excited about this purchase ... much nicer bike than either of us have owned previously, and our first full suspension. As you can probably figure out by this and JET 9 thread, all we have left to do is pick out components for build and next season we will have our new rides!

Anyway I'm grateful for everyone that has helped me thru this process (injury and many build questions), and while I realize I have a long way to go, I look forward to being back on a bike next spring!!!

mtbr member
    Dude, I'd have to concur with all those who are surprised you are not a vegetable 15ft to concrete header Glad you're OK and on the mend, just don't forget, you can't lift anything heavier than a glass of what ever and don't bend over to get anything.

NMBP
    You work in aviation maintenance, and you considered buying anything other than a JET? Good to hear that you are on the mend, sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hope you are up and riding soon.

mtbr member
    Dude, I'd have to concur with all those who are surprised you are not a vegetable 15ft to concrete header Glad you're OK and on the mend, just don't forget, you can't lift anything heavier than a glass of what ever and don't bend over to get anything.
    Oh believe me I am taking it careful, Don't want this extending any longer than it needs to and certainly don't want anything getting any worse!

I've either had a guardian angel watching me thru this, or simply been very, very lucky! Either way I'll take all the help I can get!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    You work in aviation maintenance, and you considered buying anything other than a JET? Good to hear that you are on the mend, sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hope you are up and riding soon.
    Well said, what the hell was I thinking? Should be a great fit!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0