Rim time- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rim time

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Rim time

I've heard some about Zipp 415 I've heard some about Stans...
    Except for those two rather expencive alternatives which rims would you recomend for a light (160 lb) 6 feet tall 29er guy.
    Any verdicts or comments about Bontrager mustang?
    /P

Frame Building Moderator

Try the IRDs

If you want semi-heavy but durable and wide, the Clydes are ~550g, plentywide (24mm), and only cost ~$35 each. If you're looking to go ultralite, the IRD Cadence (19mm road size) rims work ok with mountain tires and weight 385 grams each. They're only $40. I sell both of these, drop me a line if you're interested.

-Walt

Jan 2004
    I assume that most of the road rims that are being used for mountain tires come with a rim breaking surface...
    but, I too am looking for a lightweight rim. And, definitely like the Zipps.

Though, if I were to get a rim with a braking surface I would like them to be the same color as the rim. I don't like a silver strip around the rim, especially since I am running discs.

Any ideas on that one? An all black, lightweight rim. Does Zipp make one?!

Jan 2004
    Does anyone make a disc specific, tubeless rim similar to a Mavic x819 for 29ers?

Brandon.

Frame Building Moderator

Hmmm.

Yeah, don't know of any disc-specific lightweight 29er rims. That's a pretty small market, no wonder they don't exist yet. As far as I know, all the ultralight 700c rims out there use a machined brake surface. Of course, asking for aethetic perfection on something that weird is a bit much, IMO, and since the brake track doesn't detract functionally, the road/CX rims might be worth a try.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Yeah, don't know of any disc-specific lightweight 29er rims. That's a pretty small market, no wonder they don't exist yet. As far as I know, all the ultralight 700c rims out there use a machined brake surface. Of course, asking for aethetic perfection on something that weird is a bit much, IMO, and since the brake track doesn't detract functionally, the road/CX rims might be worth a try.
    It's fine if it is a machined braking surface. But, I'd like to get all black. Is that really weird? I don't think so, if you're spending the cash you might as well get what you really want. Right?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    The Alex TD17 is an all-black disc-specific 700c rim - Webcyclery has them for $24.99.

And there's plenty of older-and-not-so-old all-black lightweight road rims without the machined braking surface.

Frame Building Moderator

Paint your own rims!

For the DIY crowd, you could probably paint the rims yourself. Aluminum is a bit tricky to paint, though (hence most parts are anodized instead), and doing a decent job might be hard.

Those Alex rims sound like a really good option. I think older road rims (the ones without a machined brake track) might not work too well - you'd need to find some that had never been used, as the brakes tend to scuff up the rim sidewalls pretty well. Also, most of them aren't that light, and those that are tend to be heinously fragile.

I agree that if you pay big bucks, you should get exactly what you want. That wasn't the question the original poster asked, though.

How much do the Alex's weigh?

-Walt

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    For the DIY crowd, you could probably paint the rims yourself. Aluminum is a bit tricky to paint, though (hence most parts are anodized instead), and doing a decent job might be hard.
    Painted rims will probably chip from rocks, pinch flats, tire levers, etc. Powdercoating is a better choice than paint but anodizing is the way to go. Personally, I prefer silver rims.

Those Alex rims sound like a really good option. I think older road rims (the ones without a machined brake track) might not work too well - you'd need to find some that had never been used, as the brakes tend to scuff up the rim sidewalls pretty well.
    Used rims get scuffed? Well, duh.

You can find plenty of NOS rims if you look.

Also, most of them aren't that light, and those that are tend to be heinously fragile.
    Not that light compared to what? Heinously fragile? There are plenty of sturdy lightweight road rims and less light touring rims are very strong. Keith Bontrager started the very-narrow-mountain-bike-rim fad by re-rolling ~400g Mavic MA40's to 26" and they worked fine.

How much do the Alex's weigh?
    560g claimed

Frame Building Moderator

560g?!? Ouch!

Good points. Yes, I know painting aluminum isn't a job that an amateur can do well. But the 29er folks tend to be good at finding ways to make things work (witness all the discussion about road rims).

So for question #1 (wants light and cheap) the best option might be old NOS road rims. I would hesitate to use these with a disc brake without eyelets (but the Stan's rims don't have eyelets and have been getting great reviews, so maybe I'm wrong). IRD Cadence would be another option, and if you have big $, Stan's or Zipp. I think the old Bontrager saying "light, strong, cheap, choose two" is especially applicable here. No road rim is going to work as well as a real mountain rim for serious mountain biking.

#2 (has infinite money, wants nice and all black) might be out of luck for now, unless "nice" doesn't include lightweight. The Alex's would seem to be the only real option color-wise, but at a claimed 560 grams (I'd call it 600, everyone lies about weight) they're porkers. The Stan's rims look good, IMO, but aren't aethetically pleasing to some folks.

So here's the question - why didn't Mr. Bontrager just keep those old MA40s at 700c and ride a 29er? Heh.

-W

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bontrager Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by
    It's fine if it is a machined braking surface. But, I'd like to get all black. Is that really weird? I don't think so, if you're spending the cash you might as well get what you really want. Right?
    I found these black and disc specific on the www:
    http://www.bontrager.com/mountainrim...sp?id=186&pt=6

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mustang disk 29er

Go with the Mustang disk 29er rim. These were designed for 29er use. they are strong, look cool, plenty wide and have offset drilling specifically for discs. 32hole only. I think 460g. I don't get why you would try and use something designed for road. I've been down that street before..My Open pros, Zipp 505's were too narrow in my opinion. Mustangs retail at @$70, so not cheap, but that's the only reason I wouldn't get them. Stans are awesome, but very spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperagge
    I've heard some about Zipp 415 I've heard some about Stans...
    Except for those two rather expencive alternatives which rims would you recomend for a light (160 lb) 6 feet tall 29er guy.
    Any verdicts or comments about Bontrager mustang?
    /P

Derailleurs owned: 0

Online availability?

My local bike shops rarely offer good deals. Is the 29er Mustang Disc available online?