Rim recommendations- Mtbr.com
    Just some dude.
    Jan 2004

Rim recommendations

Hello all, I'm building a new disc cross bike for next season. I use it primarially off road with the WTB 700x44mm tire. Currently I'm running the Velocity Dyad rim, which at about 500g and 24mm width is not bad at all. I was wondering what people are running for rims on their 29ers and if any new rims of interest have been released for 2004.

The new DT trekking rim is about the best looking one I've seen so far. Anyone have experiece with it?

Thanks!

This place needs an enema

Dt

Tony-

The DT Trekking rims are sweet. The one that I saw/groped was 536 grams, with double eyelets ( !!! ). I didn't have a caliper with me, but they looked to be every bit as wide as the Mavic T520's or Dyad's, and maybe a bit taller. I've always been a big fan of the 520's but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to convert to the DT and not look back.

Rumor mill says that a ceramic version will be available late summer--just in time for next season's slop.

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the dt rims are 23.6 mm wide, which is one of the wider ones available. i personally would love to see a 26ish mm wide disc rim. so far the rhyno lite is the only one in that range but it's pretty hefty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Tony-

The DT Trekking rims are sweet. The one that I saw/groped was 536 grams, with double eyelets ( !!! ). I didn't have a caliper with me, but they looked to be every bit as wide as the Mavic T520's or Dyad's, and maybe a bit taller. I've always been a big fan of the 520's but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to convert to the DT and not look back.

Rumor mill says that a ceramic version will be available late summer--just in time for next season's slop.

MC
    Last edited by tallpaul; 01-17-2004 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    I like the Bontrager Mustang. They are 460g

No Reputation!

Well you can't beat Dyad for a name

I've got 'em on 3 29" mtb wheels (two for the B-29 and one for the front of the 29X26" half breed bike. So far, flawless. But I must tell you that other than wearing out the brake track in a rim back in '95, I've never had ANY rim trouble. 195#'s (at least that's what I'm sayin')

I'm betting the build is more important that the rim. But it's just an opinion. What do your local shop guys have on the shelf? That would be an easy decision.

Like I heard a guy say today, "How many opinions do you need to make a sh$tty decision?" as I was himming and hawing about buying a crusier bike (it was cool...)

Just some dude.
    Jan 2004

Thanks guys! (nm)

no message

Recovering couch patato
    Dyads are good, but rarely seen under 500g. Mine were 540g initially, and the lightest Velocity was stocking were 506g each, which are now in my 29" wheelset. If it's for a crossbike, Stan's 400g 29" rims may be an option. Wide at over 24mm, tubeless option, disc-specific.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Dyads are good, but rarely seen under 500g. Mine were 540g initially, and the lightest Velocity was stocking were 506g each, which are now in my 29" wheelset. If it's for a crossbike, Stan's 400g 29" rims may be an option. Wide at over 24mm, tubeless option, disc-specific.
    Does anyone have the website for Stan's?

thanks,

Paul

Recovering couch patato
    www.notubes.com
    Apparantly the 29" disc rims are just available now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    www.notubes.com
    Apparantly the 29" disc rims are just available now.
    by looking at the weight, i assume those rims aren't meant to be really thrashed upon. too bad, they otherwise look really good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone know the actual weight of the rhyno lites? Everywhere i look, there is a different number.

Just some dude.
    Jan 2004

Stan's

I emailed Stan and he does have an "about 400g" 29er rim. He has disc specific rims in stock and should have v-brake ones in a few weeks. Sounds really promising, except at $110 each its about twice what other rims cost. They are really light though, and could be run tubeless...hmmmmmm.

Derailleurs owned: 0

Where did you purchase those?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendon
    I like the Bontrager Mustang. They are 460g
    Local bike shop or online?

mtbr member
    Speedgoat sells Bontrager rims if you are looking for an online shop, and their wheels are supposed to be pretty well built and have free shipping to boot. I had asked them about the 29" Mustangs before and they quoted the same price the wheel builder part of their website shows for the 26" Mustangs with the same configuration. BTW, if you are using the Bontrager Mustang Disc rim w/ Stans you will want to use the 26" strip, not the 29" (confirmed this with Stan before I decided to just get his rims, see copy of message below).

If you have the new Bontrager disc only rims they should take the standard
    26 inch rim strips. I would use one layer of 17mm Velox rim tape to protect
    the spoke holes with my strip on top.
    I do not use any 29er tires but make sure you do not inflate them to
    pressures higher than 35 to 40 psi. Yes I would guess the Kendas will have
    much stronger Kevlar beads at least in the 26inch tires they do not have
    bead problems.

My 29er rim strips will only fit the Bontrager V brake rims the ones with
    braking surfaces. They may have another rim out but I have not seen it.
    If you are going to use their rims get the disc only rim it works better
    than their V brake rims. But with my rims you can inflate tires with a floor
    pump and they will be around 100g or more lighter.
    Thanks,

Stan

Homey the Clown
    Jan 2004
    I run Sun CR-18 rims and they have served me very well. They are cheap (~$30) and under 500 grams, with eyelets. The other rim I am interested in was formerly known as the Ritchey Trekking Pro. It has another name now that I can't remember, but should be about the same price. The Ritchey has eyelets and machined sidewalls, and claims a weight of ~460 grams. Your local bike shop can order either rim through BTI distributers. I don't know of a mail order source for either rim.

jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana
    Hello all, I'm building a new disc cross bike for next season. I use it primarially off road with the WTB 700x44mm tire. Currently I'm running the Velocity Dyad rim, which at about 500g and 24mm width is not bad at all. I was wondering what people are running for rims on their 29ers and if any new rims of interest have been released for 2004.

The new DT trekking rim is about the best looking one I've seen so far. Anyone have experiece with it?

Thanks!

Beware of Doggerel

Huh??

Miles,
    Have you tried the bontrager rims with Stans yet. Stan's response dosen't really make sense to me, it seems to have a typo (My 29er rim strips will only fit the Bontrager V brake rims the ones with braking surfaces. They may have another rim out but I have not seen it. If you are going to use their rims get the disc only rim it works better
    than their V brake rims), but I can't figure out where the error is is Stan for or against the disc rims, seems to say that he has only tried his 29 strip on the V rims but then he says to get the disc rims becasue they work better??? So did you get the disc or V brake rims and how did you set them up?? I am going to try the Stan's set up on my Bontrager race rims (tape style).
    Thanks
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Speedgoat sells Bontrager rims if you are looking for an online shop, and their wheels are supposed to be pretty well built and have free shipping to boot. I had asked them about the 29" Mustangs before and they quoted the same price the wheel builder part of their website shows for the 26" Mustangs with the same configuration. BTW, if you are using the Bontrager Mustang Disc rim w/ Stans you will want to use the 26" strip, not the 29" (confirmed this with Stan before I decided to just get his rims, see copy of message below).

If you have the new Bontrager disc only rims they should take the standard
    26 inch rim strips. I would use one layer of 17mm Velox rim tape to protect
    the spoke holes with my strip on top.
    I do not use any 29er tires but make sure you do not inflate them to
    pressures higher than 35 to 40 psi. Yes I would guess the Kendas will have
    much stronger Kevlar beads at least in the 26inch tires they do not have
    bead problems.

My 29er rim strips will only fit the Bontrager V brake rims the ones with
    braking surfaces. They may have another rim out but I have not seen it.
    If you are going to use their rims get the disc only rim it works better
    than their V brake rims. But with my rims you can inflate tires with a floor
    pump and they will be around 100g or more lighter.
    Thanks,

Stan

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Adam]Miles,
    Have you tried the bontrager rims with Stans yet. Stan's response dosen't really make sense to me, it seems to have a typo (My 29er rim strips will only fit the Bontrager V brake rims the ones with braking surfaces. They may have another rim out but I have not seen it. If you are going to use their rims get the disc only rim it works better
    than their V brake rims), but I can't figure out where the error is is Stan for or against the disc rims, seems to say that he has only tried his 29 strip on the V rims but then he says to get the disc rims becasue they work better??? So did you get the disc or V brake rims and how did you set them up?? I am going to try the Stan's set up on my Bontrager race rims (tape style).
    Thanks
    Adam[/QUOTE

Sorry, I guess that was a bit confusing. I had asked Stan if he knew if the Bontrager wheels (Race, Race Lite) used the Mustang v-brake rims or a different rim altogether. He was responding to that question when he said "They may have another rim out but I have not seen it", not disavowing knowledge of the disc rim, only to recommend it it in the next sentence. So in a nutshell his 29" strips will fit 29" Bontrager v-brake rims, and his 26" strips will fit 29" Bontrager disc rims. I am using Stans rims and have no experience running Bontrager rims tubeless, just thought I'd pass on what Stan had to say about it. Hope that helps.