Rigid Yelli-Screamy?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    996

    Rigid Yelli-Screamy?

    I know there's a loooong thread but interested if anyone has actually tried this? Short cs and carbon fork would make a fun bike I would think?

  2. #2
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,842
    Proto Nimble 9 with a Niner Carbon fork on it.


    I think it would be a fun bike!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    996
    Yeah - seen that pic before - no ride info though?

  4. #4
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,300
    Why not?

    Looking at the geometry numbers, it should be pretty good with a 29er suspension corrected fork (470mm A to C, or so). Rigid and fat tires is the way I'd do a YS.

    "it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

  5. #5
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,626
    Never tried it, but that would be fun.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,083
    I'd like to tdo my Paradox rigid, even tried the KM rigid fork on it (sus corrected 470mm), but if I do it I'd want at least 485mm, preferably closer to 500mm to keep the angles in tack. While it was only an around the neighborhood test it showed the potential, and didn't feel too bad, but the BB was too low and it didn't feel as good with the steeper angles. Only one place makes a fork that long without custom and that's Soul Cycles, they offer a 485mm, 45mm offset, but it's also almost as heavy as a Reba, so the question becomes is it worth it over just using a sus fork and locking it out so you have optons, just in case
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid Yelli-Screamy?-gfs_3571.jpg  

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    996
    The Y-S is tared at 70 degrees ha with 80mm fork at 480mm - which I presume when sagged will be similar to a 470mm rigid?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    321
    The Yelli Screamy is one of the bikes on my list to replace my current ride and the thought of a rigid Yelli Screamy has also crossed my mind.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    996
    Would be great if somebody finally came out with a rigid 20mm fork too...

  10. #10
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,842
    Might be smarter to do a rigid 15mm instead since it seems most 29" forks are going to that instead of 20mm.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Would be great if somebody finally came out with a rigid 20mm fork too...
    You can get a custom hand-built steel fork with 15mm or 20mm dropouts within the same price range as the Niner carbon or maybe even for less $.

  12. #12
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,300
    the 15mm standard is just silly ...

    There are rigid 20mm forks but the ones I've seen (and the 465mm A to C one I have for my 26er) are DJ forks with even less offset than "regular" 26er forks.

    "it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

  13. #13
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I'd like to tdo my Paradox rigid, even tried the KM rigid fork on it (sus corrected 470mm), but if I do it I'd want at least 485mm, preferably closer to 500mm to keep the angles in tack. While it was only an around the neighborhood test it showed the potential, and didn't feel too bad, but the BB was too low and it didn't feel as good with the steeper angles. Only one place makes a fork that long without custom and that's Soul Cycles, they offer a 485mm, 45mm offset, but it's also almost as heavy as a Reba, so the question becomes is it worth it over just using a sus fork and locking it out so you have optons, just in case
    How about the VooDoo Zombie 500? 500mm, cheap, but pretty heavy. Slightly lighter than a suspension fork, and all the happiness of a rigid!

    Los
    Support your local trail organization.

    www.swimba.org

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    22
    I thought I read somewhere that the Jamis rigid fork I run is 485.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,083
    Well, perfect height, but it weighs about the same as a Reba 1559g (3.5lbs) compared to about 1660g (3.7lbs) for the Reba
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    How about the VooDoo Zombie 500? 500mm, cheap, but pretty heavy. Slightly lighter than a suspension fork, and all the happiness of a rigid!

    Los
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,593
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Bike_Alone
    I thought I read somewhere that the Jamis rigid fork I run is 485.
    You are correct sir!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: modifier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Would be great if somebody finally came out with a rigid 20mm fork too...
    Blacksheep already has one.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier
    Blacksheep already has one.
    I was thinking of something more affordable - the Salsa one that has never appeared, or carbon On-one etc.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,593
    I'd say you'd want to stick with something between 485 and up for a Yelli - just my two cents.

    I think the new On-One forks are more race oriented in their axle to crown height aren't they?

    An older steel Niner fork might be a great fit, or perhaps a first generation Singular Swift fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.