Rigid forks + axle to crown measurement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rigid forks + axle to crown measurement

Fairly new here... need some help figuring out some things.

I am looking for a rigid fork for my new Felt Trail 29er... now with the Suntour suspension fork. For a lot of years I have been riding a SS 26" Boss bmx on streets and trails. It has old style Cook Brothers forks... very stiff, no flex, but very controllable. I love slow riding, picking through obstacles, etc.mixed with blasting down the trail.

I think I'd be happy with the stiffest fork I can find... I am used to using body english, soaking up bumps in arms/knees, etc. I won't be doing extremely long rides.

To see what the geometry change would be with rigid, I zip tied my Suntours to nearly full compression. (I like the handling MUCH better this way.) But when I measure axle to bottom of head I get over 19" or 483mm. But the "suspension corrected" km or Salsa chromoto grande are only 468mm. Are they really that much shorter than my Suntour 100mm forks fully compressed???? Or am missing something.

I need to stay under $150 and am pretty sure I want steel forks. I definitely don't want any shudder while braking, or flex when I twist the front end side to side at slow speed. I keep seeing people saying the karate monkey fork is too stiff, so maybe this is the fork for me???

mtbr member
    Suntour forks are pretty tall, 536mm for a 100mm travel XCR so it doesn't sound like your getting full compression. That said, you can get the White Bros Rock Solid in 490mm which should suit you well.

I'm just messing with you
    Soul cycles Dillinger fork is steel with 485 A-C
    DILLINGER CRMO Soul Cycles
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    The Salsa fork is suspension corrected for an 80mm fork, so your measurement on your 100mm fork seems about right.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Members who have read this thread: 0