RIGID FORK, steel or carbon, specifically Krampus vs NINER carbon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

RIGID FORK, steel or carbon, specifically Krampus vs NINER carbon

I've got a Niner EMD, with a Reeba upfront at the moment. I've been wanting to try out a rigid fork for a while. Bike journeys are getting longer. I love the look of the niner carbon fork (found one used for $260, before shipping, which will cost because I'm the UK and the forks not) but I have almost no carbon experience and it scares me a bit. I can get a Surly Krampus on my door for $120 roughly. It reviews well and the price is much friendlier. Here in Scotland I ride slick rooty sections, loose mud, 1 to 3 foot drops. Back home in California I ride mostly loose over hard rock, 1 to 3 foot drops again. I can't imagine not blasting through rough sections, and rock gardens. Will either of these forks be up to the task? Is rigid just not for me? Which one's faster?

Oh, and I'm just over 200lbs kitted out.

Any advice or shared experience is much appreciated. Cheers

mtbr member
    Personally, if you're taking 3' jumps at 200 lbs, I'd probably stay clear of carbon (jumps or 3' drops?). It probably won't break, but just not worth the risk to me. I'd go rigid steel or keep the reba and use the lockout more. for a rigid fork, I had a redline monocog fork on one of my bikes. Very similar to the Krampus fork. It felt great, and was only about $40 used. Heavy chromoly fork, but it would give you an idea if rigid was good for your riding style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    3 foot drops. Not much of a jumper, just a speed enthusiast. Thanks for the input. Score one for the steel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Steel: The Surly Karate Monkey fork is heavy, but bomber (and cheap). I have a Surly ECR fork and it's super bombproof, not too heavy, but rides really well and has rackmounts and extra bottle mounts to boot.

A carbon fork is going to be stiffer and lighter, and you'll have the option to go 15mm on a Niner RDO fork or an MRP carbon fork. Out of all of these the Niner is the prettiest.

Honestly though, I'd probably just keep the Reba. Or get a nicer suspension fork.

mtbr member
    If you decide to keep the Reba, the RCT3 comp damper and shimmed rebound assembly is a worthy upgrade IMO. It's easy to install, and it feels like a different fork when you're done. More adjustment, better designed compression damper, and better designed rebound assembly. it's an improvement in almost every facet IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Honestly sounds like Rigid might not for you but if you really want to why not give it a go and see how it works out. Riding rigid on occasion is fun and some just love the simplicity and maintenance free aspect of it and ride gnar all the time without issue so no reason you can't. Being that you might not stay rigid though I think I would go cheapest option than look into carbon later if it is something you really like, The carbon is nice to have that light front end to loft up easily when riding ridgid.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

psycho cyclo addict
    3' drops with a rigid fork might be tough on your wrists... even with tubeless tires at low pressure, that is a whole lotta shaking goin on.

I prefer steel (Niner and Waltworks on my two SS'es). Tried a Niner carbon fork and it was too rough for my liking- particularly when bombing down hills with rocks and roots.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi ErichS - did you go rigid? I'd love an update. I want to go rigid, and am considering steel versus carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Could the reverse work, Surly KM/Krampus fork on a Niner Air or ROS?

psycho cyclo addict
    Now that I run 3" 29er tires up front, carbon forks are fine... I have a couple of ENVE's and a Niner (which is more like a jackhammer on a 2.4" or narrower tire!).

The other advantage of carbon is that it is lighter and easier to get the front wheel over bigger logs/rocks or other technical trail features.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    For 3ft drops definitely steel cause its both tougher and more compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk