Rigid Fork for Lynskey Pro29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rigid Fork for Lynskey Pro29

Pro29 riders, which of the following forks do you think would be best for the Pro29:

-470mm A2C, 45 deg rake
    -490mm A2C, 39 deg rake?

I did some searching, but found nothing conclusive. Some questioning whether the lower common ~470mm length foks were too short given that the frame seems to be spec'd for a much longer fork. But the other side seems to be that the HA with that longer fork is 70.5deg, so the shorter fork brings that number closer to 72 which is pretty common on niners. I guess that's my interpretation of the discussions.

The 2 forks I listed are both Niner steel forks. The 470mm is the currently available version, but I have access to a still new 490mm older version. It's root beer color, but I can get it powder coated locally for about $30, so no problem there. The 490mm seems like a good middle ground and I'm tempted to take it and at least give it a try.

Thanks for your wisdom!

mtbr member
    I asked that question of the guys at Lynskey when I bought my Ridgeline 29. They assured me a rigid fork that's 468mm is just fine. The carbon fork they sell is 468mm, and the Salsa fork I bought is the same. I works fine. If you check out the reviews on twentynineinches.com they explain why the shorter fork may actually be better for that bike.

mtbr member
    You DEFINITELY want to stay way from the 490mm.
    Ted Guitar reviewed the frame, concluding the 100mm renders to front end too flexy.
    If you could find 465mm or 460mm fork, it would be even better.

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/05/...peed-mid-term/
    http://twentynineinches.com/2010/07/...-final-review/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    You DEFINITELY want to stay way from the 490mm.
    Ted Guitar reviewed the frame, concluding the 100mm renders to front end too flexy.
    If you could find 465mm or 460mm fork, it would be even better.

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/05/...peed-mid-term/
    http://twentynineinches.com/2010/07/...-final-review/
    Not trying to argue with GT's findings, but I ran a 100mm fox on the front of my lynskey pro29 and had no flex issues whatsoever. I raced the setup in ~8 races this year, I'm ~190 and 6'5". Guessing you'll get more flex out of the steel fork than you will out of the Ti frame.

I think you'd be fine with either. To me the question is: do you like a more relaxed head angle, or a slightly more aggressive one? I'd likely go with 470, mainly because I'd opt for more aggressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Not trying to argue with GT's findings, but I ran a 100mm fox on the front of my lynskey pro29 and had no flex issues whatsoever. I raced the setup in ~8 races this year, I'm ~190 and 6'5". Guessing you'll get more flex out of the steel fork than you will out of the Ti frame.

I think you'd be fine with either. To me the question is: do you like a more relaxed head angle, or a slightly more aggressive one? I'd likely go with 470, mainly because I'd opt for more aggressive.
    I read that artical too. I personally don't have flex issues like that. But, I am not a heavy rider either and G-Ted looks to be.

That said, I am not a fan of 100mm just because the geometry feels a tad funky to me. It's a personal preference. I used 46mm off-set, 480 rigid. Now I use a 43, 468.

mtbr member
    I am really starting to love the Black Sheep Ti uni-crown I put on my Pro29. Between the Ti fork, Ti bars and 2.4" Racing Ralph, the front end of the bike feels unbelievably compliant. Trail chatter I used to feel massive amounts of before is just about gone.

My prior set up was a Waltworks steel fork, One One Mary bars and Ignitor. I am sure if I put a 2.4" Racing Ralph on this setup it would be noticably smoother.....

BTW - the BS Uni-crown is 470mm x 45mm offset. With this fork, the steering/handling is GREAT on my Large Pro29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I am really starting to love the Black Sheep Ti uni-crown I put on my Pro29. Between the Ti fork, Ti bars and 2.4" Racing Ralph, the front end of the bike feels unbelievably compliant. Trail chatter I used to feel massive amounts of before is just about gone.

My prior set up was a Waltworks steel fork, One One Mary bars and Ignitor. I am sure if I put a 2.4" Racing Ralph on this setup it would be noticably smoother.....

BTW - the BS Uni-crown is 470mm x 45mm offset. With this fork, the steering/handling is GREAT on my Large Pro29.
    BS Ti forks are the absolute best. Period.
    I have one on my Kish MX and it made my Carbon and Steel forks blush.
    In fact, James now makes for me two more forks for my other Ti bikes.

mtbr member
    Agree 100%. There is something special with the Black Sheep fork. It is hard to get over the price as you can just about buy your suspension fork of choice. My biggest hurdle was actually not the price, it was getting over the pictures of the broken Sibex and XACD forks I had seen over the years and also the rider injures that their failures produced. Ride after ride, I am recognizing that James's work and his end product should not be compared against Chinese offerings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks...

Thanks for turning me on to that Pro29 review. Very enlightening! No doubt I'll stay with the 470mm-45deg fork. Of course, now I am completely intrigued and smitten with that Black Sheep fork!! So a follow up question for those with that fork...did you get them in a relatively timely manner? I don't mind paying the coin, but I'd like to have it sooner more than later. Does he build those and have in stock, or is it a custom only thing? Guess I could inquire with BS. Thanks again!

Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte
    Thanks for turning me on to that Pro29 review. Very enlightening! No doubt I'll stay with the 470mm-45deg fork. Of course, now I am completely intrigued and smitten with that Black Sheep fork!! So a follow up question for those with that fork...did you get them in a relatively timely manner? I don't mind paying the coin, but I'd like to have it sooner more than later. Does he build those and have in stock, or is it a custom only thing? Guess I could inquire with BS. Thanks again!

Randy
    They are built for spec. Nothing is stocked.

James is notorious for late delivery. He will promise you the fork in 4 to 5 weeks; you'll be lucky to receive it in 9 weeks. The workmanship is superb and the tube selection is outstanding, but alas it all takes time and James is unrealistic in his projections.

However...it's worth it. At the end of the day the frameset is enjoyed for many years; what is extra month in the big picture?

mtbr member
    I believe I received mine after waiting 5 weeks which was not too bad. Worth the wait regardless.

Members who have read this thread: 0