Ride Review: Mosaic Smith 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Ride Review: Mosaic Smith 29er

Hey all,

Its been a few weeks since I got my Mosaic Smith 29er so I figured it was time to write up a review.

I rode Bear Creek Lake Park and Morrison in the front range of Colorado yesterday and clocked about 30 miles. The Smith held up to everything I can throw at it. For starters, Ill throw up a parts list so we know what we are dealing with as far as expectations.

Frame: Smith Steel 29er (Platinum OX steel)
    Mosaic Sliding Rear Drop Outs
    Race Face Deus Cranks, Crank Bro's Eggbeater pedals.
    Thompson Elite Seat post and Stem
    Salsa Pro Moto Bars
    Chris King Headset
    Chris King Disc Hubs (ss)
    Brooks B17 Ti Saddle (Green)
    Brooks Leather grips
    Velocity p35's shod with Maxxis Ardent 2.2's Tubed
    Reba Team Fork set at 100mm travel
    Magura Marta SL Discs

Second, This bike gets so many compliments and questions that I spend more time answering them than actually riding.

Third: The Ride. The ride is awesome, the platinum OX steel tubeset rides very well, the complete bike weighs in at appx 27lbs, so its not extremely heavy, but isnt terribly light. As a XC bike this rig does its job very well. Smooth, reliable and very predictable in terms of what you can expect the bike to do in almost any condition. I found myself intentionally riding over obstacles that I would normally avoid on a 26er with no complaints. I did however manage to bottom out my fork a few times, so maybe a change to 120mm travel is warranted.

Aaron did a fantastic job fitting the frame to my body, needs and riding style. This is the first bike I could consider to be perfect for my riding style and physical needs.

The cranks are incredibly stiff, although they do generate some noise as the chainlinks fall onto the chainring as I pedal, although there is nothing wrong, I think its just part of the design.

These Magura's are my first set of hydraulic discs, although the front can be noisy at times, they function flawlessly and blow my old bb7's to the moon in terms of performance.

I cant really think of anything else, although im sure I will in the future. If there are any questions I would be happy to answer them for anybody. Pictures of this rig can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ and I would be happy to supply more at anyone's request.

Have a great week all!

-FreuderLocks
    2015 Canfield Yell Scream
    2015 Tarmac Pro Disc Race

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Looks nice!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks Natedogz!
    -FreuderLocks

mtbr member
    The mosaic builder is of the mentorship via Dean Cycles out of CO, yes/no?
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    The mosaic builder is of the mentorship via Dean Cycles out of CO, yes/no?

I think that both Aaron and Nick used to work for Dean Cycles, Mosaic is their own company though.
    -FreuderLocks

Members who have read this thread: 0