Revel Rascal- Mtbr.com

Thread: Revel Rascal

mtbr member
    May 2016

Revel Rascal

This bike deserves its own thread. Iíve ridden most the modern super bikes. The rascal is as good as any of them.

Itís like a snappier, livelier sb130. With outstanding finish, customization, and touch points. The rear end doesnít feel quite as plush as the sb130, but I think it far exceeds it in terms of dancing with the trail and being insanely nimble and quick, and possibly a better climber.

Anyone ridden it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLfwTZlkrc

Iíll post a more thorough review when I have the time.
    Last edited by Gratefulone; 09-11-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    There's a few reviews in here, including my own:

https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-build...s-1101818.html

I agree with your evaluation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It's the CBF (Canfield Balance Formula) suspension at the Rascal's heart. I ride a 2017 Canfield Riot, the Rascal's closest (and only) 29er relative. Without ever having ridden, or even seen one in person, I can kind-of-sort-of attest then to what you're saying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think thereís a tread called Revel reviews. They are amazing bikes. I canít complain at all.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    The black frame with the helm looks so good. How do you like the helm?

I was originally looking to go all black, but they had a blue ready a few days after ordering so I went with that. And now the blue is really grown on me.

This bike truly rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulone View Post
    The black frame with the helm looks so good. How do you like the helm?

I was originally looking to go all black, but they had a blue ready a few days after ordering so I went with that. And now the blue is really grown on me.

This bike truly rides like a dream.
    I really like the helm. It stays planted around corners and through rocks and roots. The only time it doesnít feel great is when Iím going slow.

I think Revel nailed it with all the colors so far. The blue looks amazing too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is the frame stiffer than it's namesake?
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Not sure which name sake implies not stiff?

But I think the frame is super burly and stiff. I am not a light man, and I detect no flex on the trail. I think the frame is a bit heavy compared to a few competitors, and I think part of that is it due to the incredibly robust paint job. It also includes some built in frame protection.

Itís burly bro. Until you get it moving then itís a dart.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    What travel do you have helm set too?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I only have one ride so far, but yes, rear end stiffness is not an issue.

I wouldnít call the frame portly, but I think it enjoys a good pizza on the weekends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Helm is set at 140. Iíll probably try it at 150 or 160 eventually. But it rides so good right now Iíve lost my ambition to play with settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    Helm is set at 140. Iíll probably try it at 150 or 160
    eventually. But it rides so good right now Iíve lost my ambition to play with settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Iím curious what 150/ 160 would be like. Revel hasnít publicly stated anywhere if they approve of increase / wether it voids warranty. The frame sure seems stiff enough to support. But yes I agree itís riding so good, no need for tinkering.

Look forward to taking It to the desert in the coming weeks to see how it handles more chunk.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I rode one a few weeks ago. Blue X01 build. Was planning on getting my first full squish 29er and also tried the sb100, tallboy 4 and evil following. I really didn't like any of them and ended up falling in love with the SC 5010. I just didn't find any of those 29ers nimble enough for my style and area trails, so, I'm going 27.5 for my new bike. That said, take what I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt.
    The rascal was by far my least favorite bike to ride out of the 4. I got really frustrated climbing a few times. The front end was very light for me and I was wandering a lot when things got really slow. Didn't feel like it accelerated well on flat sections (dhf/dhr combo didn't help I'm sure). The bike really really shines on downhill chop though. Smooth, plush as hell and feels like there's no bottom. It's just that around here that's not a high enough percentage of the time you're on the bike. In my 2 hour ride I only had a couple brief moments like that.
    Also, the frame is beautiful in every way. Very high quality. You definitely won't be disappointed there if you buy one.
    For comparison sake, I liked the SB100 the best but decided not to buy one because of the issues with the link and the cost. My next choice would have been the evil. But as I said, none of them felt flickable enough for me.
    On an unrelated note, the I9 hydra freehub was popping constantly on my ride. This demo was virtually brand new, maybe 30 miles on it and the I9 issues were already rearing their head.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I rode one a few weeks ago. Blue X01 build. Was planning on getting my first full squish 29er and also tried the sb100, tallboy 4 and evil following. I really didn't like any of them and ended up falling in love with the SC 5010. I just didn't find any of those 29ers nimble enough for my style and area trails, so, I'm going 27.5 for my new bike. That said, take what I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt.
    The rascal was by far my least favorite bike to ride out of the 4. I got really frustrated climbing a few times. The front end was very light for me and I was wandering a lot when things got really slow. Didn't feel like it accelerated well on flat sections (dhf/dhr combo didn't help I'm sure). The bike really really shines on downhill chop though. Smooth, plush as hell and feels like there's no bottom. It's just that around here that's not a high enough percentage of the time you're on the bike. In my 2 hour ride I only had a couple brief moments like that.
    Also, the frame is beautiful in every way. Very high quality. You definitely won't be disappointed there if you buy one.
    For comparison sake, I liked the SB100 the best but decided not to buy one because of the issues with the link and the cost. My next choice would have been the evil. But as I said, none of them felt flickable enough for me.
    On an unrelated note, the I9 hydra freehub was popping constantly on my ride. This demo was virtually brand new, maybe 30 miles on it and the I9 issues were already rearing their head.
    Buzz kill. Sounds like demo setup issues. Iíve ridden the modern offerings from santa Cruz and yeti, etc, and the rascal easily stands up to the competition. I had the opportunity to purchase any of the above mentioned bikes and chose the rascal.

It seems like itís certainly more bike then you were looking for, which makes sense as to why you preferred the sb100.

Glad you are stoked on 5010. Itís also a very sweet rig.

Iím coming off a blinged out tallboy 3. It was ever so slightly snappier then the rascal, but the rascal is far more confident descending. They climb very similar. Tech climbing the rascal is better by a notch. Smooth climbing the tallboy is better by a notch.

Tbh: it took me 4 rides to get the suspension dialed on the rascal and truly fall in love. You really can tell so little from a demo. For example: if you lowered the bar height and shortened the stem, the wandering you experienced would probably disappear.

Iím 5í9Ē. I demoed the medium and large and settled with a large and 40mm stem, 780 bars with a good bit of rise. Itís perfect.

In the past few seasons Iíve had: a Yeti Sb4.5, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3, specialized epic - s works, Rocky Mountain slayer; and Iíve extensively demoed all the modern super bike offerings (including 5010).

I feel like the rascal is the culmination of my favorite parts of all these bikes. For me, itís the perfect 1 bike quiver.

Happy trails. Enjoy your new 5010
    Last edited by Gratefulone; 09-14-2019 at 10:21 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Buzz kill. Sounds like demo setup issues.
    Spent a good amount of time at the shop setting sag with all my gear on, I think it was pretty well set. However, looking at the numbers of what I've been riding, what I just ordered, and the bikes that were my 2nd and 3rd choices, I think I should have been on a medium even though the large "felt" ok. Also, even if I was on a medium the wheelbase is still longer than what I gravitate to. I think the rascal needs a good amount of wide open space to stretch it's legs. I was thinking if I had a chance to ride one at Buffalo Creek in CO I'd probably adore it. Or, if revel had a 130mm 27.5 bike, that would also be a strong contender. In the big scheme of things, $2800 for a revel frame is a really nice price compared to some other companies and the quality is top notch.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Spent a good amount of time at the shop setting sag with all my gear on, I think it was pretty well set. However, looking at the numbers of what I've been riding, what I just ordered, and the bikes that were my 2nd and 3rd choices, I think I should have been on a medium even though the large "felt" ok. Also, even if I was on a medium the wheelbase is still longer than what I gravitate to. I think the rascal needs a good amount of wide open space to stretch it's legs. I was thinking if I had a chance to ride one at Buffalo Creek in CO I'd probably adore it. Or, if revel had a 130mm 27.5 bike, that would also be a strong contender. In the big scheme of things, $2800 for a revel frame is a really nice price compared to some other companies and the quality is top notch.
    Totally appreciate what you are saying. The only thing I would add, is once I was able to find some space to open it up on the rascal, Iím now finding I can open it up in tighter places and finding it very nimble. now that I know how to ride it. It felt a little big at first, now it feels like a dart.

Of course, a long wheelbase 29er will never feel like a shorter 27.5 bike. Personally, i am a 29er guy.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A friend has one and is not so happy with how it climbs, his main complaint being wallowing when he stands up. However, he doesn't have a shock with LSC - would that make a big difference on this bike?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    A friend has one and is not so happy with how it climbs, his main complaint being wallowing when he stands up. However, he doesn't have a shock with LSC - would that make a big difference on this bike?
    To your friend: the CBF suspension is sag point independent. Meaning it rides well whatever sag point you set. If he is wallowing, add 5 psi and see how that goes.

Iím a heavy dude and need I loose 25lbs (former Cat 1 racer, and college athlete prior to that, for reference). And I have no adverse wallow. I like to sit and spin until it gets tech and steep, then I stand and hammer. Itís super firm while sitting, and just the right amount of compression to give me grip while standing through steep/ techy climbs.

Iíve been very successful at 25% sag. Then I dropped down to 30 percent sag so itís a little more plush descending. I still have no detectable wallow at 30 percent. And this coming from a guy who rode the tallboy 3 last, and a specialized Epic before that (both very firm pedaling platforms).

Why would your friend buy a brand new bike if he wasnít stoked on it? Did he demo first?

The bike freaking rips. Donít over think it (to your friend). Once you get to know the bike, and ride it aggressively, it comes to life like no other.

I almost bought the 130. But so glad I waited for a rascal.

Ps. I have a good set of carbon wheels, and the aggressor 2.3 on the rear so that certainly helps uphill/ and flats. I have no complaints climbing other than my current fitness level.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Iíve heard a few people say it wallows up climbs. Iím curious how that happens. I think mine wallows less than the Ripley LS I had before. Maybe its size of rider and shock settings. Iím 200lbs with a cane creek shock 25% sag, high speed compression fully open, low speed 3 clicks from open. It climbs great seated or standing. I ride lots of steep ups and downs with rocks and roots. You could always contact the guys at Revel they are always quick to respond.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    Iíve heard a few people say it wallows up climbs. Iím curious how that happens. I think mine wallows less than the Ripley LS I had before. Maybe its size of rider and shock settings. Iím 200lbs with a cane creek shock 25% sag, high speed compression fully open, low speed 3 clicks from open. It climbs great seated or standing. I ride lots of steep ups and downs with rocks and roots. You could always contact the guys at Revel they are always quick to respond.
    Totally agree. Itís perplexing.

If I wasnít so dang stoked on this bike, I would regret making this thread. I have a little medical issue that has me off the bike for a week, and I was hoping to just read and share stoke around this bike.

I sure do hope your friend finds the right settings as it would truly be a shame to not be in love with this bike. It deserves all the love. It does want to be driven though, and is not nearly as fun if you are just along for the ride. Thatís even more true of the Large Yeti SB130.

I may have already mentioned this: but this like feels like itís directly between the medium and large sb130.

The large rascal also feels like itís in between the large v4 Ripley and the large sb130. Which to me, is the perfect compromise right now.

Ps. Iím on the western slope of Colorado. So I certainly have some room to let it run. But also have TONs of challenging climbing and some tight spaces.
    Last edited by Gratefulone; 09-15-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Having a nice day!
    I test rode a Rascal at a recent demo. Setup was a little soft for me, so it was blowing through its travel faster than I'd like, but it was a sweet feeling ride and if I were looking to get a short travel 29er, it would be in strong contention. Revel is coming on strong in the Atlanta area, with a lot of folks opting for the Rail. I'm tempted to go that route when I spring for a new frame as every part on my Spider would swap over and I can just extend the travel on my Helm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    3rd ride on mine today. Monarch Crest yesterday, Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman in Crested Butte today.

Climbing wise, if you are comparing it to a short link set-up like an Ibis, and prefer to ride high in the travel, I can see where you may feel it wallows. Yes, the Rascal is not a snappy, however, traction on techy climbs is superb.

As cliche as it sounds, where this bike really shines is going the other way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Lovin it!

Couldnít be happier with my Rail. Iím set up 27.5 rear/29 front with 160mm travel and 51 offset, Fox 36.
    Revel Rascal-7c423007-519d-4569-b745-97b2dc75f76f.jpg

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Broads72 View Post
    Couldnít be happier with my Rail. Iím set up 27.5 rear/29 front with 160mm travel and 51 offset, Fox 36.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C423007-519D-4569-B745-97B2DC75F76F.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	1283005
    Oh nice! Tell me more, did you ride it 275 up front before going 29? That's exactly how I would like to setup this frame...

What size frame? Does it feel snappy - playful?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    There's a few reviews in here, including my own:

https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-build...s-1101818.html

I agree with your evaluation.
    Anyone here coming off a Rocky Mountain Instinct as a comparison? Thatís my current bike but interested in the Rascal, especially in the climbing capability.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Buzz kill. Sounds like demo setup issues. Iíve ridden the modern offerings from santa Cruz and yeti, etc, and the rascal easily stands up to the competition. I had the opportunity to purchase any of the above mentioned bikes and chose the rascal.

It seems like itís certainly more bike then you were looking for, which makes sense as to why you preferred the sb100.

Glad you are stoked on 5010. Itís also a very sweet rig.

Iím coming off a blinged out tallboy 3. It was ever so slightly snappier then the rascal, but the rascal is far more confident descending. They climb very similar. Tech climbing the rascal is better by a notch. Smooth climbing the tallboy is better by a notch.

Tbh: it took me 4 rides to get the suspension dialed on the rascal and truly fall in love. You really can tell so little from a demo. For example: if you lowered the bar height and shortened the stem, the wandering you experienced would probably disappear.

Iím 5í9Ē. I demoed the medium and large and settled with a large and 40mm stem, 780 bars with a good bit of rise. Itís perfect.

In the past few seasons Iíve had: a Yeti Sb4.5, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3, specialized epic - s works, Rocky Mountain slayer; and Iíve extensively demoed all the modern super bike offerings (including 5010).

I feel like the rascal is the culmination of my favorite parts of all these bikes. For me, itís the perfect 1 bike quiver.

Happy trails. Enjoy your new 5010
    How are you liking the Rascal now that you've had a bit of time with it? I'm currently riding a Tallboy v3 in a medium w/ 70mm stem, and a recent move has me looking for something more capable on the descents without sacrificing in the climbs. I had my mind set on a ripmo v2, but they're so far backordered that I would miss most of the warm riding season, so considering the rascal. Do you think there is value in having both the Tallboy 3 and the Rascal in the bike quiver?

Also, what size Tallboy 3 did you have? I'm a hair over 5'9" and struggling to decide on size and don't have the option of test riding.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Iím 5í9Ē

I had a large Talllboy and now a large revel rascal. The rascal is the best 130mm 29er trail bike on the market. Somedays I wish I had the medium. But I did demo both sides prior to purchasing.

The safe bet is medium. It will climb better and be more fun in tight twistys. The large has an awesome attack position and feels more stable when things open up and speeds increase.

Personal preference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Has anyone been able to also ride a Banshee Prime v3 and compare it to the Revel Rascal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone had any creaking pivots? I demoed a Rascal last week and it had a very annoying creak from somewhere in the pivots. I checked all of the bolts and none were loose. I think it has 18 bearings, so a lot of possible points of noise.

mtbr member
    I have heard some.. Put some grease in them and it helped but then I noticed the rear flex.. I'd like to see if anyone else has noticed significant rear flex with the Rascal. All pivots are to spec and so is the rear axle. Rear wheel is a SC reserve 30 - Hydra hub and its fine. I can hand push the wheel to touch the side of the swing arm. Tire is a 2.3 Minion SS. so nothing huge.. Kinda boggled with it..
    2020 Revel Rascal
    2019 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2019 Canyon Ultimate

mtbr member
    I have an XL Rascal and it had an issue right out of the box with flex in the rear end. After loosening and re-torquing the pivots, I found that a couple had extremely dry anti-seize on the threads and they were reaching torque but not fully seating the way they should. If you check how easy it is to turn the entire axle assembly with a hex key, you may notice that some have some resistance while others turn very easily. Take the looser axles out, clean the threads really well, re-apply anti-seize and re-torque to spec. I actually over-torqued them slightly on purpose, loosened them and re-torqued to make sure they were seated all the way once reaching final torque. You should feel more resistance afterwards when turning the entire axle assembly with a wrench.

The bike was dead quiet for a few weeks but then a really bad creak started up. Every pedal stroke, seated, standing; constant creak. I chased it for a couple of weeks before finding it was the single vertical bolt that mounts the shock to the yoke end. It was bone dry. Gave it a light coat of Philwood grease and dead silent ever since. May not be the cause of yours but worth checking.

I also experienced the same issue with chain rub on the inside of the guide when in the largest cog as the two other posters above. XO 12 speed drivetrain - used the thinner spacers to move the guide inboard just a small amount and now it clears throughout the entire gear range.

I'm 6-5 and upper end of clydesdale weight - came off of a first gen Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc. The Revel is a great bike. Smooth and sucks everything up. It took a while to get used to climbing. Not quite as efficient as a the TB, but keep the pedals turning and the thing just keeps going - the gnarlier the climb, the better it is. It just seems to dig in and keep going. Going down - the bike will inspire enough (over)confidence to get you into trouble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iím 5í9Ē

I had a large Talllboy and now a large revel rascal. The rascal is the best 130mm 29er trail bike on the market. Somedays I wish I had the medium. But I did demo both sides prior to purchasing.

The safe bet is medium. It will climb better and be more fun in tight twistys. The large has an awesome attack position and feels more stable when things open up and speeds increase.

Personal preference.
    What gen tallboy are you coming from?

What other bikes were you seriously considering and why did the Rascal win out?

How long have you had it and are you still stoked on your decision?

Ugh. I wrote a lot. Sorry guys.

I'm looking for a 2nd bike to compliment the SB150 and have demo'd a rascal, optic, and tallboy v4. Still planning to demo the Ripley v4 and (even though it doesn't fit this list) a Transition Scout, and maybe the YT izzo if I can wait that long to demo (they are local but... corona). Just need a bike that would be more fun when I ride easier local trails before work, not necessarily needing something for all day epic rides, but something more poppy/playful/fun than the 150 (which is not really any of those things on blue trails at casual speeds). Ideally with decent or at least comparable climbing to the 150.

The Rascal had this amazing sense of acceleration under power, and turned so naturally. Medium and small bumps and rocks were really easily absorbed. I was expecting to have to slow down in some places where I know the sb150 just smashes, but my caution was unwarranted. In burlier trails or park days the 150 would still show it up but for most of my riding I think this bike could be a really great bike. It was an easy pedaling bike. Maybe not the best pedaling bike ever... But on a long steep climb I remember telling my buddy "i could do this all day". It wasn't like a Ripmo DW link where you feel like there's extra free power under every pedal stroke pushing you up the hill, but it was surprising to me especially downhill how immediately my pedal strokes became forward momentum. I was really impressed with it. But it was also a 9k custom build. I am 5'10 and rode a medium, but need to demo a large and see if the same ease of acceleration and the characteristics I liked so much feel the same with my own set of cheaper and heavier wheels.

The Optic was a really fun and playful bike. Riding it around the neighborhood was a riot. Jumping curbs and stairs, manuals (at least as good of manuals as I can do) and general f'ing around was a good time. However I didn't jive with this bike on the trail at all. I hit a few sections of trails that I thought were going to be pushing it for this bike, but when it hits its limits it hits them pretty hard. I went from having fun to being really uncomfortable really quickly. The bike is said to be a good climber. Most people put it up there with the tallboy and rascal but still below the ripley... But I hated climbing it. If it at least had a climb switch maybe I could just lock out and be fine but come on... No lockout? Maybe I've just gotten too used to better pedaling platforms... Who knows. Sadly my least expensive option isn't going to win this one.

The Tallboy v4 might be the bike. It had similar playful and fun nature like the optic but I found myself much more comfortable with it on the trail and at speed. Like the Rascal I had a few places where I went to slow down but realized it could handle a lot more than I was giving it credit for. The new lower vpp is really good. Not being able to see your sag is super annoying... Previously had a v1 bronson and this bike reminded me of that bike a bit, with better geo and 29" wheels. Again, a 10k build will feel pretty awesome so I'm trying to remain focused on bike feel and suspension and avoid falling in love with hydra hubs and 26lb bikes. SC warranty and bearing replacement is a selling point but their factory builds are a joke. Rascal wins at the 5k price point.

Been a while since I rode the SB130 but it was a damn good bike too. I'd consider one except that I already have the 150 and I think there's too much similarity between the two.

Going to ride the Ripley V4 and see if it checks all the boxes. I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time hating a Tallboy, Rascal, or Ripley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Alfred, any update on the Ripley demo? My shortlist is the Rascal, Tallboy, and Ripley. Demoed the Rascal and had a sort spin on a friend's TB4.
    2016 Intense Carbine
    2007 Titus Motolite
    2000 Trek 9.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred_Buchi View Post
    What gen tallboy are you coming from?

What other bikes were you seriously considering and why did the Rascal win out?

How long have you had it and are you still stoked on your decision?

Ugh. I wrote a lot. Sorry guys.

I'm looking for a 2nd bike to compliment the SB150 and have demo'd a rascal, optic, and tallboy v4. Still planning to demo the Ripley v4 and (even though it doesn't fit this list) a Transition Scout, and maybe the YT izzo if I can wait that long to demo (they are local but... corona). Just need a bike that would be more fun when I ride easier local trails before work, not necessarily needing something for all day epic rides, but something more poppy/playful/fun than the 150 (which is not really any of those things on blue trails at casual speeds). Ideally with decent or at least comparable climbing to the 150.

The Rascal had this amazing sense of acceleration under power, and turned so naturally. Medium and small bumps and rocks were really easily absorbed. I was expecting to have to slow down in some places where I know the sb150 just smashes, but my caution was unwarranted. In burlier trails or park days the 150 would still show it up but for most of my riding I think this bike could be a really great bike. It was an easy pedaling bike. Maybe not the best pedaling bike ever... But on a long steep climb I remember telling my buddy "i could do this all day". It wasn't like a Ripmo DW link where you feel like there's extra free power under every pedal stroke pushing you up the hill, but it was surprising to me especially downhill how immediately my pedal strokes became forward momentum. I was really impressed with it. But it was also a 9k custom build. I am 5'10 and rode a medium, but need to demo a large and see if the same ease of acceleration and the characteristics I liked so much feel the same with my own set of cheaper and heavier wheels.

The Optic was a really fun and playful bike. Riding it around the neighborhood was a riot. Jumping curbs and stairs, manuals (at least as good of manuals as I can do) and general f'ing around was a good time. However I didn't jive with this bike on the trail at all. I hit a few sections of trails that I thought were going to be pushing it for this bike, but when it hits its limits it hits them pretty hard. I went from having fun to being really uncomfortable really quickly. The bike is said to be a good climber. Most people put it up there with the tallboy and rascal but still below the ripley... But I hated climbing it. If it at least had a climb switch maybe I could just lock out and be fine but come on... No lockout? Maybe I've just gotten too used to better pedaling platforms... Who knows. Sadly my least expensive option isn't going to win this one.

The Tallboy v4 might be the bike. It had similar playful and fun nature like the optic but I found myself much more comfortable with it on the trail and at speed. Like the Rascal I had a few places where I went to slow down but realized it could handle a lot more than I was giving it credit for. The new lower vpp is really good. Not being able to see your sag is super annoying... Previously had a v1 bronson and this bike reminded me of that bike a bit, with better geo and 29" wheels. Again, a 10k build will feel pretty awesome so I'm trying to remain focused on bike feel and suspension and avoid falling in love with hydra hubs and 26lb bikes. SC warranty and bearing replacement is a selling point but their factory builds are a joke. Rascal wins at the 5k price point.

Been a while since I rode the SB130 but it was a damn good bike too. I'd consider one except that I already have the 150 and I think there's too much similarity between the two.

Going to ride the Ripley V4 and see if it checks all the boxes. I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time hating a Tallboy, Rascal, or Ripley.
    Seems a Jamis Portal could be on your potential list as well...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja View Post
    Alfred, any update on the Ripley demo? My shortlist is the Rascal, Tallboy, and Ripley. Demoed the Rascal and had a sort spin on a friend's TB4.
    I demo'd a large Rascal (previously only rode a med) and man it's a great bike. It fits me really well at 5'10. Build for the 5k ish budget is really decent. The external cable routing by the BB still bugs me and the company being so new makes me wonder if the lifetime warranty is worth much. I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be awesome but the overcautious pessimist in me has to wonder. Great bike though... I could definitely love it. But the Tallboy is so much fun. If I didn't already have a bigger bike the Rascal would be the bike for sure. It can keep up with rowdier bikes no problem. I'm kind of leaning tallboy frame up build and just buying parts on sale as I find sales. SC really earned my business over the years and I completely trust they will take care of anything that ever goes wrong. I honestly hate both tallboy colors though hah.

I didn't demo the Ripley yet. My local shop has been so slammed that I was lucky to get another demo on the Rascal. Weekend demo's have been a challenge and I screwed up a ligament in my hand making the bed the other day (yeah, ridiculous right?) so my timeframe may get pushed back a little on this purchase. However that gives me time for a better color tallboy to come out, or maybe enough of a discount to make me hate the yellow less.

Will post whenever I get some time on the Ripley. I loved the DW on the Ripmo and the SLX build is pretty good. We'll have to see what happens. Sorry I don't have more info for you.

My local shop doesn't sell Nukeproof or Jamis but those would be on the list too. I'd like to keep my business at this shop but also the YT Izzo has my curiosity ($3,899 build spec is better than any of these options and a grand less $) and they are local and they give me free beer whenever I go in there so...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the update, Alfred! I guess I need to go rent a Tallboy and see how it compares. I too worry about a new small company being around long term.
    2016 Intense Carbine
    2007 Titus Motolite
    2000 Trek 9.8

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update, Alfred! I guess I need to go rent a Tallboy and see how it compares. I too worry about a new small company being around long term.
    I've demo'd two Rascals from different shops. Neither bike had more than 15 days of usage, one of them less than 10. Both X01 builds. *BOTH* bikes had a knock (not a creak) in the rear suspension when I needed to give a lil' extra effort on a climbing feature. It was the nail in the coffin for me as I didn't want to deal with tracking down issues in that complicated linkage. I ended up ordering a Ripley. Hope to have it in a few weeks.

I also demo'd the Ripley twice and while it's not as composed as the Rascal going down, which is maybe the best rear suspension I've ridden going down repeated chatter/braking bumps I've ever ridden, but it's still punches above it's weight class. Going up, the Ripley is a game changer whether you're a spinner or need to get on the gas because that thing is snappy as hell.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    In addition to a constant creak, scratchy sound my demo had a big knock as well. It was usually on a big g-out like a dip in the trail. I really want to pull the trigger on one, but I hate chasing creaks/issues.
    2016 Intense Carbine
    2007 Titus Motolite
    2000 Trek 9.8

mtbr member
    I didn't demo the TB4 but I've had 3 in the past...TB1, TB2 & TB LT. As is par for the course the last 5 years, I can't stand Santa Cruz's color combos. Anyway, after reading this thread I went and watched some comparison videos if the TB vs Ripley. I will say they were all pretty consistent...and similar to the ones I saw/read on Rascal vs Ripley....get the Ripley if going uphill is more important, get the TB/Rascal if getting more rowdy on the downs is what you seek. While it may not soak up the chatter as well as the Rascal, I thought the Ripley is much easier to throw around.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Just a datapoint for comparison. I own a Ripley v4 and I have ridden my friend's Revel Rascal. I previously owned a Canfield Riot so I am quite familiar with the CBF suspension that the Rascal utilizes. At least to me (and I know that we all have very different preferences in suspension performance), the Rascal was much smoother, much more composed in rough terrain, and much better handing square edge impacts that the Ripley v4 fitted with a Factory DPS. As others have stated, the DPS equipped Ripley seems slightly snapper than the Rascal when pedaling uphill. I have installed a DVO Topaz T3 on the Ripley and the "suspension performance gap" between the Ripley and Rascal has narrowed significantly. I still think that the Rascal has the more composed suspension system but the DVO Topaz equipped Ripley is much smoother than the DPS equipped Ripley. The addition of the DVO Topaz was a huge upgrade for me (it may not be for others depending on their suspension preferences). I was frustrated with the Ripley's downhill performance (I live in South Lake Tahoe) in rougher terrain but I am now quite happy with the Ripley's downhill capabilities. It is still a 120 mm rear travel bike but it is now much more composed in the rough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Don't let me dissuade you from loving the Rascal, it really is a rad bike. It's worth solid consideration for sure. It just doesn't fit exactly what I'm looking for.

Also if you're shopping now/soon I can imagine an updated Pivot 429 trail and Transition Smuggler will be out soon. Smuggler probably won't climb wel enough to make my short list but we'll see what happens. Rumors of a Yeti SB 115 starting to seem credible... So many great options out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Just a datapoint for comparison. I own a Ripley v4 and I have ridden my friend's Revel Rascal. I previously owned a Canfield Riot so I am quite familiar with the CBF suspension that the Rascal utilizes. At least to me (and I know that we all have very different preferences in suspension performance), the Rascal was much smoother, much more composed in rough terrain, and much better handing square edge impacts that the Ripley v4 fitted with a Factory DPS. As others have stated, the DPS equipped Ripley seems slightly snapper than the Rascal when pedaling uphill. I have installed a DVO Topaz T3 on the Ripley and the "suspension performance gap" between the Ripley and Rascal has narrowed significantly. I still think that the Rascal has the more composed suspension system but the DVO Topaz equipped Ripley is much smoother than the DPS equipped Ripley. The addition of the DVO Topaz was a huge upgrade for me (it may not be for others depending on their suspension preferences). I was frustrated with the Ripley's downhill performance (I live in South Lake Tahoe) in rougher terrain but I am now quite happy with the Ripley's downhill capabilities. It is still a 120 mm rear travel bike but it is now much more composed in the rough.
    I have always wondered how much you could blur the lines with a slightly overbuilt Tallboy or Ripley v4. A lot of people say "why? just buy a ripmo or a hightower if you want more" but that deosn't mean there's not room for a bike between these bikes... If you're mostly happy but want just a little more, it seems like there's possibilities.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have always wondered how much you could blur the lines with a slightly overbuilt Tallboy or Ripley v4. A lot of people say "why? just buy a ripmo or a hightower if you want more" but that deosn't mean there's not room for a bike between these bikes... If you're mostly happy but want just a little more, it seems like there's possibilities.
    Would you slot the Rascal here as the 'in-between' bike between theTallboy/Ripley and the Hightower/Ripmo?

I ordered a Large Rascal sight-unseen based on reviews since I can't demo one locally. I'm sitting on a medium tallboy 3 right now w/ a 70mm stem (I'm 5'9"), and really wanted a Ripmo V2 as a compliment to the tallboy 3. Since I can't get a Ripmo V2 until the end of the year, I opted to go with the Rascal instead, in a large, and hopefully will find it fits what I'm looking for in a bike that climbs well (hopefully at least as well as my tallboy) but gives me a more capable descender. Waiting on delivery of my Rascal, which is projected for the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jchan417 View Post
    Would you slot the Rascal here as the 'in-between' bike between theTallboy/Ripley and the Hightower/Ripmo?

I ordered a Large Rascal sight-unseen based on reviews since I can't demo one locally. I'm sitting on a medium tallboy 3 right now w/ a 70mm stem (I'm 5'9"), and really wanted a Ripmo V2 as a compliment to the tallboy 3. Since I can't get a Ripmo V2 until the end of the year, I opted to go with the Rascal instead, in a large, and hopefully will find it fits what I'm looking for in a bike that climbs well (hopefully at least as well as my tallboy) but gives me a more capable descender. Waiting on delivery of my Rascal, which is projected for the end of the month.
    I haven't ridden the Ripmo V2 or current Hightower. My main bike is a sb150 so both of those bikes kind of seem too close to that bike for me to be really considering right now. The shop owner at Pro Bike Supply said the Rascal climbs as good as the v4 Tallboy but descends closer to a sb150. For what it's worth he said he went with a Rascal and loves it.

Like I said I can't imagine being unhappy with a Rascal or Tallboy or pretty much any new bike in 2020. Just nitpicking because I love my sb150 so much and I'm trying to have 2 bikes for different types of trails. Also we need a second bike in the stable as my gf keeps stealing my sb150 so this is a good position for me to be in while she's still happy with me burning money on another bike.

Also I'm nobody - literally nobody. I am a middle of the road rider and my opinions are practically meaningless. I thought I would love the Optic after reading everyones glowing reviews and man I just didn't get along with it.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the Ripmo V2 or current Hightower. My main bike is a sb150 so both of those bikes kind of seem too close to that bike for me to be really considering right now. The shop owner at Pro Bike Supply said the Rascal climbs as good as the v4 Tallboy but descends closer to a sb150. For what it's worth he said he went with a Rascal and loves it.
    He also put a 150mm fork on it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    He also put a 150mm fork on it...
    Ah, I think I forgot to mention the Rascal I demo'd was on a 150 lyric ultimate. The Tallboy I demo'd was a 140 Pike ultimate. Really enjoyed both of them. I think a lot of people run both of these bikes +10mm (I think I read both companies fully support this too).

mtbr member
    Ah, I think I forgot to mention the Rascal I demo'd was on a 150 lyric ultimate. The Tallboy I demo'd was a 140 Pike ultimate. Really enjoyed both of them. I think a lot of people run both of these bikes +10mm (I think I read both companies fully support this too).
    I probably demo'd the same bike at PBS and yeah, Mark raves about riding his Rascal at Aliso and such. I rode it out at The Luge on my demo and then Gooseberry Mesa on the demo bike from Over the Edge in Hurricane. Mark also loved his SB130 and I wasn't impressed with it going DH at all. The 150 was sooooo much better. I'm going to start out with the Factory suspension on my V4 Rascal but will probably put a Cane Creek DB IL on there if needed. I hear good things about the people that like the DVO stuff but the looks of the Topaz turns me off. Just a personal thing.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jchan417 View Post

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it from two directions....

Yes, the Rascal is "more" than the Ripley but less than the Ripmo on the scale of how aggressively most people would tend to ride them. I have the V1 Ripmo for reference and have demo'd both the Rascal and V4 Ripley twice. If I could only have one bike, I might get a Rascal and pray the knock in the rear suspension that both demo bikes had stays away.

If you're asking if the Rascal would be a good 2nd bike to compliment the TB3 since you couldn't get a V2 Ripmo, then no, that would not be a good plan as they are too similar.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Iíve had a rascal since last April with a lot of miles on it. It has been dead silent the whole time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I probably demo'd the same bike at PBS and yeah, Mark raves about riding his Rascal at Aliso and such. I rode it out at The Luge on my demo and then Gooseberry Mesa on the demo bike from Over the Edge in Hurricane. Mark also loved his SB130 and I wasn't impressed with it going DH at all. The 150 was sooooo much better. I'm going to start out with the Factory suspension on my V4 Rascal but will probably put a Cane Creek DB IL on there if needed. I hear good things about the people that like the DVO stuff but the looks of the Topaz turns me off. Just a personal thing.
    Small world man. Yeah I rode the medium and the large Rascal at PBS. The large when I rode it was creaking something terrible but some of the pivot bolts were loose (did I mention there are a shit ton of pivot bolts on this bike?). I don't think the demo bikes are getting the attention they usually get with the shop being so busy. I can't really complain as "officially" they are not doing demos right now at all. Prior to this bike every demo from them has been really clean and well tuned.

I also rode the demos at Luge and thought the Rascal really shined there. Perfect amount of travel for that trail.

mtbr member
    ... (did I mention there are a shit ton of pivot bolts on this bike?)...
    Rear triangle is still 4, like most all bikes, (double that counting both sides). It adds a pivot for the shock yoke to rear triangle so that makes 5, not counting 2 shock mounts that you'd have on any bike.

It's actually the same as IBIS Ripmo and Ripley bikes for example. Same number of pivots and bearings but on IBIS, the rear upper link pivot is coaxial with the shock yoke pivot.
    Last edited by Lone Rager; 06-05-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Iíve had a rascal since last April with a lot of miles on it. It has been dead silent the whole time.
    Similar story here. Lots of miles, many with a lot of sand/ grit. No issues.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Was there a new Rascal release? V4? or still selling the same frame release in 2019?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it from two directions....

Yes, the Rascal is "more" than the Ripley but less than the Ripmo on the scale of how aggressively most people would tend to ride them. I have the V1 Ripmo for reference and have demo'd both the Rascal and V4 Ripley twice. If I could only have one bike, I might get a Rascal and pray the knock in the rear suspension that both demo bikes had stays away.

If you're asking if the Rascal would be a good 2nd bike to compliment the TB3 since you couldn't get a V2 Ripmo, then no, that would not be a good plan as they are too similar.
    Sorry, reading my original post in hindsight, it definitely wasn't clear. My original plan was to get a 2nd, longer travel bike (ripmo), to compliment the tallboy 3 I have. Since I can't get the longer travel bike that I wanted, I ordered the Rascal in a large in hopes that it will be a nice replacement for my Tallboy 3 (being sold as soon as I receive the Rascal), so instead of a short & long travel bike, I'm only going to have the Rascal (and my epic HT for XC days).

I normally ride medium being 5'9", but given the reach numbers on the Rascal compared to a medium Ripmo v2, I decided to go Large since I'm running a 70mm stem on my 430mm reach tallboy, and the large Rascal is 464mm, and I want to run a shorter 35-40mm stem on the Rascal. Anyone think this is a bad idea? I also figure if I bump to 150mm fork, it will bring the reach slightly closer as well.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Iím 5í9Ē and test road both. I bought the large.

I did end up selling last week preferring the medium revel rail. For what you describe, you will love the large.

The only time I didnít Prefer it over the medium Rascalwas tight, twisty, techy, Climby bits.

My quiver now is a medium revel rail. And a medium turbo levo expert. And damn am I a happy camper.

The rascal was my favorite 29er trail bike without a motor. And some of the best rides of my life happened on that bike. Pure flow state, extacy, Nirvana.

Iím loving the medium rail though. The climbing position is just So much more comfortable for me.

mtbr member
    Iím 5í9Ē and test road both. I bought the large.

I did end up selling last week preferring the medium revel rail. For what you describe, you will love the large.

The only time I didnít Prefer it over the medium Rascalwas tight, twisty, techy, Climby bits.

My quiver now is a medium revel rail. And a medium turbo levo expert. And damn am I a happy camper.

The rascal was my favorite 29er trail bike without a motor. And some of the best rides of my life happened on that bike. Pure flow state, extacy, Nirvana.

Iím loving the medium rail though. The climbing position is just So much more comfortable for me.
    What other reasons did you have to keep the rail over rascal?
    Do you find the rail's STA to be steep enough?
    I am currently considering selling my Tallboy 4 and getting the rail instead. 5'8" on a medium. I have a Nomad 3 and found out I miss its travel when on Tallboy, especially 140mm front isn't enough.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I used to be a very fit racer type and preferred 29er. I had the cadence and power to support them. Iíve sadly put on a lot of weight, and just prefer to have fun while riding these days.

I find the Medium 27.5 to be A much more comfortable climbing position. By that I mean I feel lower in the bike. Not as perched up high. The smaller wheels are easier to spin. I have better grip and position for climbing. I have no issues with ST angle.

And on the way down, itís just a little more nimble and fun. The rascal was mind numbing nimble and fun. But when ridden back to back, Iím just more comfortable everywhere on the 27.5. And because of that, I would Almost say itís a better climber for me. Probably not a faster climber. But more comfortable, and for that reason, I can climb tech more easily. And the wheel base is a few cm shorter than the large rascal.

Iím just preferring 27.5 these days.

For those about speed there is no question 29er is probably the way to go. But for those who just ride to have fun, Iíd be inclined to encourage 27.5. Especially if you are under 5í10Ē....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Small world man. Yeah I rode the medium and the large Rascal at PBS. The large when I rode it was creaking something terrible but some of the pivot bolts were loose (did I mention there are a shit ton of pivot bolts on this bike?). I don't think the demo bikes are getting the attention they usually get with the shop being so busy. I can't really complain as "officially" they are not doing demos right now at all. Prior to this bike every demo from them has been really clean and well tuned.

I also rode the demos at Luge and thought the Rascal really shined there. Perfect amount of travel for that trail.
    If you ride south oc and already have a yeti 150, do yourself a favor and get the Ibis Ripley with a 140 fork. It will be your go to bike. It does everything great! Only thing you find is it overwhelmed on very high speed big chunk. Not to much of that around here.
    I ride everything legal and illegal with it. K2rider1964 loved the Revel, but in the end still purchased the Ibis Ripley V4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post
    Similar story here. Lots of miles, many with a lot of sand/ grit. No issues.
    Same here. I was one of the first 50 orders when they were announced last year...zero issues with mine. Only creak I had developed was from the stem. Other than that itís been awesome. Ordered the ElevenSix and it should arrive in another week or two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Same here. I was one of the first 50 orders when they were announced last year...zero issues with mine. Only creak I had developed was from the stem. Other than that itís been awesome. Ordered the ElevenSix and it should arrive in another week or two.
    Oooh, 11/6? What is driving your decision?

Overall, I am happy with the DPX2, but a little more suppleness off the top would be nice. Was contemplating a Diaz to custom tune...

mtbr member
    Oooh, 11/6? What is driving your decision?

Overall, I am happy with the DPX2, but a little more suppleness off the top would be nice. Was contemplating a Diaz to custom tune...
    Yep, Iíve got the super deluxe that came with the frame, and actually like it quite a bit. I do visit the DH parks in the area like Bryce and Snowshoe a couple times a year, and having a coil on the Rascal has just been a dream. I had one on my Riot and loved it in the chunky downs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Anyone figure out and running a bashguard on their Rascal? Not having ISCG tabs basically makes the bike a nonstarter for me.

I remember some bikes in the past though used a bottom bracket adaptor to mount a guard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yeah that's the adaptor I'm familiar with, not an experiment for me to try. Maybe someone that already owns the bike will give it a shot.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    New Revel colors:

Rascal:

Revel Rascal-rascal.jpg

Rail:

Revel Rascal-rail.jpg

M12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wish they added shimano build kits with the new colors.

From the pictures, it looks like the Rail has a metallic paint but the Rascal has a solid color. The Rail paint job looks awesome.

mtbr member
    I had a canfield riot for a number of seasons loved it and sold it for some stupid reason. Replaced with a smash and Iím not digging the smash. I miss the playfulness of the riot. So Iím thinking of selling the smash and getting a rascal. Has anyone put a dvo topaz on the back of the rascal. My riot was full dvo front and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Sizing challenge

Guys, I am about to pull the trigger on a Rascal with no opportunity to throw a leg over one. I desperately need you help with sizing.
    I am 5'10' with 33 inseam and torn between M and L.
    Could Rascal owners please share with me all of the following:
    - Your height and frame size;
    - Your stem length;
    - Actual measured distance between center of your stem clamp and center of your seatpost (horizontal line) - this will be your actual cockpit length;
    - Do you run your saddle centered or shifted fore or aft on its rails?
    - How does it feel for your type of riding - spot on, a bit tight, or a bit stretched?

Thanks heaps in advance, and I do need to know all (!) the variables to be able to use it for any judgement. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Fkuashum; 06-22-2020 at 02:46 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    how many of you are running a 150mm fork on a Rascal and liking the handling in tight stuff?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkuashum View Post
    Guys, I am about to pull the trigger on a Rascal with no opportunity to throw a leg over one. I desperately need you help with sizing.
    - Your stem length;
    - Actual measured distance between center of your stem clamp and center of your seatpost (horizontal line) - this will be your actual cockpit length;
    - How does it feel for your type of riding - spot on, a bit tight, or a bit stretched?

Thanks heaps in advance, and I do need to know all (!) the variables to be able to use it for any judgement. Thanks guys.
    Iím 5í9Ē . I demoed the medium and large. Rascal and sb130.

Bought the large rascal.

When descending, or even in the parking lot, I preferred the large by far as I could achieve ideal attack position.

I learned to ride it everywhere and itís one of the best bikes ever made.

However, in the tight and twistys, especially climbing... I started to get the itch for a medium.

I ended up buying a medium rail. I was going to keep both but they were just to similar so I sold the rascal.

The medium rascal was borderline to small for my preferred reach.

If youíre terrain is all tight and twisty Iíd say your a candidate for medium. But otherwise youíll be happy on large. It did feel slightly stretched out climbing , and could give my back trouble... but Iím fat and out of shape.

If you are strong and in shape, the large will be money.

Leash Law Enforcer
    I'm 5'10". Don't have other #s for you but I demo'd a medium and ordered one. I wouldn't want it any larger. I do have a preference for riding smaller as opposed to larger bikes.

I demo'd a large sb130 back to back. Cockpit stretch/length felt very similar to me. I'm not sure the numbers would bear that out looking at a geo chart but I'm going by feel.

The medium rascal I demo'd belonged to a guy just slightly taller than me. The seat was slid back on the rails but I will ride it neutral. Fork was 150mm not 140mm. Believe the stem was 35mm or 40mm.

Bike was very balanced. Most balanced 29er I've been on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    - Your stem length;

I'd buy a large.

I'm 6'0", 32" inseam, and I have a large. I feel it fits fine, though perhaps a touch on the small side. I felt the x-large was just a bit too big, but if it were all I had available, I could make it work.

I think you being 5'10" puts you right in the range of the large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So, I guess I'm now on Revel's mailing list, since I just got an update about a new model. When I was in the market for a new bike about a month ago, one of the models I was seriously considering was the Rascal. Did a demo ride and really liked it a lot, but ended up getting a Ibis Ripley, since I wanted something a little lighter and better at climbing. Felt for the type of riding I did I really didn't need the slightly better downhill capability of the Rascal, but still liked the bike a lot.

Revel has now apparently come out with a new, more XC oriented model, the Ranger. Frame is over a pound lighter than the Rascal. Suspension is 115 rear and 120 up front, slightly less than the Ibis Ripley. Would have loved to demo it before I bought the Ripley. I suspect it will be a great climber and still pretty good on the descents. Wonder if you could put a 130 fork on the front.

In any event, thought I'd give everyone a heads up, if your looking for a lighter, more playful version of the Rascal, the Ranger might be a great alternative.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by houndogone View Post
    So, I guess I'm now on Revel's mailing list, since I just got an update about a new model. When I was in the market for a new bike about a month ago, one of the models I was seriously considering was the Rascal. Did a demo ride and really liked it a lot, but ended up getting a Ibis Ripley, since I wanted something a little lighter and better at climbing. Felt for the type of riding I did I really didn't need the slightly better downhill capability of the Rascal, but still liked the bike a lot.

Revel has now apparently come out with a new, more XC oriented model, the Ranger. Frame is over a pound lighter than the Rascal. Suspension is 115 rear and 120 up front, slightly less than the Ibis Ripley. Would have loved to demo it before I bought the Ripley. I suspect it will be a great climber and still pretty good on the descents. Wonder if you could put a 130 fork on the front.

In any event, thought I'd give everyone a heads up, if your looking for a lighter, more playful version of the Rascal, the Ranger might be a great alternative.
    You are describing the exact position I find myself in now. My choice came down to a Ripley or a Rascal. I wouldn't have had the opportunity to demo a Rascal until early August and I did not want to wait that long so based on my demo of the Ripley and what I read about ride characteristics of both I now have a Ripley on order. I am sure I will love it but now I have in my head that I should wait and demo the Ranger! I think I am going to go with the thought the the Ranger may be just a bit light in the travel category and that the Ripley is spot on for my trails (northeast) and riding style...that's what I am telling myself anyway ha! Good "problem" to have either way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    - Your stem length;

I'm about 5'8", 30" inseam on a medium. 50mm stem. I'm running a 150mm Fox 36 and using the Rascal as my 'big bike' and I wouldn't want it any smaller. Previous bike had a really steep seat tube angle so I have the saddle moved almost all the way forward on the rails as I've gotten used to it. For typical SoCal riding, steep up and then steep back down, it's just about perfectly sized for me.

At your size, I'd really be considering a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I built frame up and put my 150mm Fox 36 44offset on because that's what I had. I was intending on changing airshaft to bring it down to 140mm but just haven't felt the need, it handles the tight stuff much better than anticipated with the slacker head tube and higher BB. I was really surprised.

If you're talking about really rocky/rooty east coast 5mph singletrack, I'm not sure about that but for fast tight west coast riding, it's amazing how agile these long wheelbase slack 29ers are getting to be. Also, you're not exactly attacking uphill switchbacks like on a xc bike but I get around them just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    I built frame up and put my 150mm Fox 36 44offset on because that's what I had. I was intending on changing airshaft to bring it down to 140mm but just haven't felt the need, it handles the tight stuff much better than anticipated with the slacker head tube and higher BB. I was really surprised.

If you're talking about really rocky/rooty east coast 5mph singletrack, I'm not sure about that but for fast tight west coast riding, it's amazing how agile these long wheelbase slack 29ers are getting to be. Also, you're not exactly attacking uphill switchbacks like on a xc bike but I get around them just fine.

cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ejabbale View Post
    You are describing the exact position I find myself in now. My choice came down to a Ripley or a Rascal. I wouldn't have had the opportunity to demo a Rascal until early August and I did not want to wait that long so based on my demo of the Ripley and what I read about ride characteristics of both I now have a Ripley on order. I am sure I will love it but now I have in my head that I should wait and demo the Ranger! I think I am going to go with the thought the the Ranger may be just a bit light in the travel category and that the Ripley is spot on for my trails (northeast) and riding style...that's what I am telling myself anyway ha! Good "problem" to have either way.
    You were in a no-lose situation and to be honest, I think you made the right call...at least at the time you had to decide. I rode both the Rascal and Ripley twice. If I could only have ONE bike and lived out West with a lot more techy downs, I'd go Rascal w/o a second thought. But the Ripley climbs better, is snappier and won't fatigue you as much in all those rocks & roots back East. Now take off the 1.5 lbs and still keep that CBO rear suspension and who knows, the Ranger may have been bad ass for you.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    ejaballe - although there's always going to be a new latest and greatest bike that's going to make you wonder if you should wait a few more months, I think we both made the right decision with the Ripley.

I was really lucky in that I was able to demo a Ripley, a Rascal and a Pivot Mach 4 right after things started opening up in early June. I actually felt most comfortable on the Mach 4 because its handling was closer to what I was used to, but it was definitely a little sketchier on the downhills than either the Rascal or the Ripley. Ultimately, I felt the Ripley was the best combination of climbing and descending, particularly since I'm not planning on riding any super-technical trails. The great thing was that my LBS had a new Ripley in my size in stock, so once I finished my last demo I just had them set up the suspension for me, loaded the bike in the back of my SUV and drove off.

Revel is saying that the new Ranger may be available in late July, but who knows how long it will actually take to ship. If you want to demo, I assume that will mean further delays.

Most of the trails I ride start at 8000' and climb from there. By late October/early November they could be under a foot of snow. Didn't really want to get a new bike, ride it for a couple of weeks and then have it sit in my garage for the next 5 months. I've been going out on the Ripley 3-4 times a week since I got it and am starting to really love this bike. Climbing, the only limitation is my shitty fitness, and I'm getting a little stronger every day. Descending, the bike has handled every thing I've thrown at it, and is worlds better than my 25 year old hardtail.

You definitely won't regret getting the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    houndogone & k2rider1964 - thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. I think you both make great points and I am feeling satisfied in my decision on going with the Ripley. I really did love the bike when I demoed it so as great as the Ranger/Rascal may be, I'll be happy. Trails in upstate NY where I live are definitely full of roots and rocks and many of them can be tight and twisty. Many more short steep climbs than anything sustained, same goes for the downhill. Winter won't come quite as early here but living in the Adirondacks, it will come early enough so very good point on getting the bike and enjoying it now.

Thanks again, should have the Ripley within two weeks, can't wait.

Take Care

mtbr member
    houndogone & k2rider1964 - thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. I think you both make great points and I am feeling satisfied in my decision on going with the Ripley. I really did love the bike when I demoed it so as great as the Ranger/Rascal may be, I'll be happy. Trails in upstate NY where I live are definitely full of roots and rocks and many of them can be tight and twisty. Many more short steep climbs than anything sustained, same goes for the downhill. Winter won't come quite as early here but living in the Adirondacks, it will come early enough so very good point on getting the bike and enjoying it now.

Thanks again, should have the Ripley within two weeks, can't wait.

Take Care
    My buddy just moved back home to Stamford, CT last December after living in San Diego for 5-6 years. He is on a V3 Ripley and loving it back there. He says it's the perfect bike.

I ended up ordering the V4 Ripley (Steel Blue) too and mine actually came in on Thursday but I'm out of town riding in Durango. It will be a companion bike to my HD5.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    ejabbale - been living in Colorado for the last 8 months, but before that lived outside Boston and spent the last 18 months in upstate NY in the Catskill mountains, so I'm pretty familiar with roots, rocks and twisty trails. Trails in Colorado, at least where I am are pretty sweet. Lots of really nice flow, although we do get our share of rock gardens, drop-offs, etc. However, given the altitude and the fact that Colorado does have some mountains, it's nice to have a bike that's good at climbing.

mtbr member
    I'm probably weird, but I actually prefer the riding in much of New England compared to CO. Incessant rocks and roots (slippery when wet) with punchy tech climbs and interesting, if short, descents. You can often ride year round. And unless you're in the city proper, there are always at least a few good riding spots close by, often within easy riding distance. Most all of these trails weren't created, improved, or maintained for mtbing and you see very few riders or other people on them.

I find CO's flow trails rather tedious. Anyway, Revel is very high on my list.
    What, me worry?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I'm probably weird, but I actually prefer the riding in much of New England compared to CO. Incessant rocks and roots (slippery when wet) with punchy tech climbs and interesting, if short, descents. You can often ride year round. And unless you're in the city proper, there are always at least a few good riding spots close by, often within easy riding distance. Most all of these trails weren't created, improved, or maintained for mtbing and you see very few riders or other people on them.

I find CO's flow trails rather tedious. Anyway, Revel is very high on my list.
    If I could take the trails and soil from the Whites/Greens/Adirondacks or the Blue Ridge to CO, and keep the CO weather and vegetation, that would be perfect.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I've ridden a Ripley, bought a Rascal. I would have been happy with both. I don't think you're going to miss much on the Ripley, and with any bike, there's give and take. The Ripley simply climbs better than the Rascal, but still descends with confidence. I chose the Rascal because (a) I wanted something with more downhill capability, (b) I found the Rascal fit me better ergonomically, and (c) I was impressed by the company and intrigued by having something a little different.

It really is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other... probably especially so with the new Ranger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thank you all for your responses to my sizing dilemma. This was useful but I still keep wondering by how much exactly Medium Rascal will actually be shorter in cockpit than my curent bike. The actual measurement from bar clamp center to seatpost center would help immensely. Perhaps someone could reach out for a measuring tape for a second??

I rode my friend's Trek Fuel EX 2019 today in ML size with this clamp-to-post measurement at 635mm (my bike is 665 and feels just right). Trek's ML very close to Revel M.
    Surely this Fuel felt short when both sitting and standing but I can't say it was intolerable - I just felt sitting unusually upright all through the ride but that did not steal much from my confidence. At the same time I did sense that had it been 3-4cm longer in cockpit, it would have been more difficult to maneuvre up the hill in switchbacks. I guess, one could get accustomed to any bike eventually but would it be more difficult or tiresome to go bigger or smaller? Go figure... Ah, and the Trek had a 60mm stem.

Must note, I now ride a '09 26-er, so it's a large leap for me anyway )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
    I'd buy a large.

I'm 6'0", 32" inseam, and I have a large. I feel it fits fine, though perhaps a touch on the small side. I felt the x-large was just a bit too big, but if it were all I had available, I could make it work.

I think you being 5'10" puts you right in the range of the large.
    Agreed....L with a 35mm stem.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've had a Canfield Riot and a Ripley V1, LS and V4.
    Love the Riot but more bike than I needed. Loved my Ripley's except the V4.
    I already posted a thread about the Ranger, but 99% sure that's me next bike. Even before selling my Riot I with others always wished the Brothers came out with a shorter travel version of the Riot. The Ranger is exactly what I want except for the under BB routing. I guess I'll have to get over that.

Not discounting Ibis's DW link, I prefer it to other bikes I've had except for CBF of the Riot.

FYI I'm riding the same types of trail here in MD/VA area.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by houndogone View Post
    I'm coming off the OG V1 Ripley and looking at both the Rascal and Ripley V4 as top choices (unfortunately, looks like it's going to be tough to find demos of either right now). The Ranger peaked my interest as well - 115/130 with the CBF suspension sounds like an awesome combo.

The Revel page mentions something about being a more well rounded bike with a 130mm fork, but they don't offer that option. I reached out to them today and got the response that "We really do not advise over forking the bike, so no it will not be an option, of course it is always possible. We do think it messes with the uphill steering when changing to a 130mm Fork."

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you want a bigger stiffer fork you might be better off with a Rascal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    If you want a bigger stiffer fork you might be better off with a Rascal.
    Yep. I do a lot of climbing and am a little anxious about picking one of these up without having a demo available in my area -- but I just pulled the trigger on a Rascal last night! That Sedona color looks gorgeous.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by konamd View Post
    Yep. I do a lot of climbing and am a little anxious about picking one of these up without having a demo available in my area -- but I just pulled the trigger on a Rascal last night! That Sedona color looks gorgeous.
    The orange Rascal is awesome! I think you made a great choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I've had a Canfield Riot and a Ripley V1, LS and V4.
    Love the Riot but more bike than I needed. Loved my Ripley's except the V4.
    I already posted a thread about the Ranger, but 99% sure that's me next bike. Even before selling my Riot I with others always wished the Brothers came out with a shorter travel version of the Riot. The Ranger is exactly what I want except for the under BB routing. I guess I'll have to get over that.

Not discounting Ibis's DW link, I prefer it to other bikes I've had except for CBF of the Riot.

FYI I'm riding the same types of trail here in MD/VA area.
    I'm on a Riot now, and have said the same thing...more bike than I need. But...coming from a hardtail w/ 140mm fork (Yelli Screamy), I notice the Riot (set up w/ 150mm Fox 36 and 27.5x2.8 tires) is actually easier to ride. Is there more suspension travel than I need? Probably. But other than saving a few lbs. on a smaller travel bike, I'm not really wanting for anything. I guess if I was in the market for a new bike, I'd lean towards the Rascal over the Ranger.
    2012 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba

mtbr member
    I really like how the suspension works!

Revel Rascal-107784034_3333049233394003_3303231635058369255_o.jpg

Revel Rascal-107609523_3333049330060660_6714948001861776447_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    I really like how the suspension works!

Name:	107784034_3333049233394003_3303231635058369255_o.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	1348813

Name:	107609523_3333049330060660_6714948001861776447_o.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	1348815
    You got the Sedona and silver combo! I just ordered that too - I emailed Revel to see if they had any photos of that build and they didn't. Looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by konamd View Post
    You got the Sedona and silver combo! I just ordered that too - I emailed Revel to see if they had any photos of that build and they didn't. Looks sweet!
    I built it with a shorter 42mm offset fork instead of the 51 that Revel specs. I also wanted to find the fork in gloss black, but it wasn't available.

I live in Austin, TX where everyone is a Texas Longhorn fan. So this color is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Was between a 2020 Transition Sentinel and Revel Rascal. Demo'd a Medium Revel Rascal in Brevard, NC and LOVED it. Minute I sat on the bike, it just felt right. I felt like this bike both climbed and descended prodigiously. Handled everything in Pisgah and I rode it hard. I am however a little concerned that it was spec'd so well (overforked with a Fox 36 150mm, Shimano XTR drivetrain) that I may have come away with an overinflated impression.

Demo'd a 2020 Transition today and let's just say it did not go well. I felt like climbing was just way too difficult and I was getting a lot of pedal bob even with the shock locked out.

Question for you Revel experts out there - is there any difference between the 2019 and 2020 Rascal except for color?

Also - anyone know if it would be faster to order from probikesupply.com or revel's website. Trying to pull the trigger ASAP. THANKS!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSmokem View Post
    Was between a 2020 Transition Sentinel and Revel Rascal. Demo'd a Medium Revel Rascal in Brevard, NC and LOVED it. Minute I sat on the bike, it just felt right. I felt like this bike both climbed and descended prodigiously. Handled everything in Pisgah and I rode it hard. I am however a little concerned that it was spec'd so well (overforked with a Fox 36 150mm, Shimano XTR drivetrain) that I may have come away with an overinflated impression.

Demo'd a 2020 Transition today and let's just say it did not go well. I felt like climbing was just way too difficult and I was getting a lot of pedal bob even with the shock locked out.

Question for you Revel experts out there - is there any difference between the 2019 and 2020 Rascal except for color?

Also - anyone know if it would be faster to order from probikesupply.com or revel's website. Trying to pull the trigger ASAP. THANKS!
    Yeah man I was down to the Smuggler and Rascal. Once I rode both it wasnít even a close competition so I feel you there. No such thing as an overinflated impression with this bike! 140 and 150 are both great and you can go wrong with either. Iím at 140, tossed in the MRP ramp cartridge and placed my order for the ElevenSix about 5 weeks ago. Sadly still waiting...patiently. As for ordering, I think you can order it from anywhere and itíll be about the same wait time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Can't speak to the transition, but I can say I just got my Rascal and took it out on it's first ride yesterday. It's definitely different than any other full suspension design I've ridden to date - I don't think you will be disappointed. For reference, I got the GX build w/ the fork & shock upgrade to the 'ultimate' line for the extra $350 and can't complain about the bike at all. I'm 155lbs and didn't feel underwhelmed by the 140mm Pike, and can only imagine a 150mm lyrik or Fox 36 making the bike feel even bigger and more capable. As far as ordering goes, I think turn-around time will be about the same wherever you order from, unless they have inventory in-stock already. No changes from 2019-2020 Rascal models other than color (and slight changes to build kit - e.g. my Rascal came w/ the new 10-52t GX cassette and shifter and G2 brakes, which when I ordered in May still had the older 10-50T/Guide R brakes listed (has since been updated on their website))

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    For availability, I'd suggest just calling Revel. They were very open and honest about timeframes for different options. Really great CS! Probikesupply is awesome to deal with as well but unless they have something in stock, I doubt they'd get it quicker.

I've tried my Rascal with both a 150 Fox 36 grip2 and a 140 Pike. The 36 handles bigger stuff better for sure but the Pike was no slouch, it was a really good fork and as an all around trail bike, the Pike is probably a better setup. I use the Rascal as my 'big bike' so I prefer the 150 36 but I really wouldn't worry about it. Get the Pike set up well and you'll love it.

Leash Law Enforcer
    I am however a little concerned that it was spec'd so well (overforked with a Fox 36 150mm, Shimano XTR drivetrain) that I may have come away with an overinflated impression.
    I wouldn't worry about this. My previous bike had a 36. Demoed a Rascal with 150 Pike. Ordered a Rascal and got the 140 Pike. I've had 4 rides on my new rascal in some really rowdy terrain. I've been really impressed with the Pike at 140. Didn't expect it to feel as good as it does. Has easily handled everything I've thrown at it including up to 6ish foot drops. No flex and plush on the big hits.

I bought the XO1 build and this bike rips. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Revel Rascal-115961010_3356731884359071_778024717800583841_o.jpg

NB
    Jul 2020

Revel Wheels

Has anyone tried revel wheels with their revel rascal?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It was a Revel party in Tahoe this weekend, saw four Revels in a group ride on the TRT near Toads.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by nbaier View Post
    Has anyone tried revel wheels with their revel rascal?
    I have them on my rascal. I think they ride great. Got mine with the I9 hydra hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Let us know how you like the ElevenSix when you get it! Iíve been curious

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hi. Do you guys know the confirmed weight of only the frame and shock in a medium? Sweet bike. Just looking at how it compares to other similar bikes. Thanks!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Fanatik is a good resource for actual weights usually. They'll even show the painted version heavier than the raw for many frames so it seems like they actually weigh them. They show the medium Rascal at about 3000g or 6.64 lbs w/o shock. So it's not Ibis (carbon) light, that's for sure. More in line with something like SB130. My medium Rascal with Fox 36, GX Eagle, decently light carbon wheel build and 2.4 dhr2 / 2.3 Agressor (both exo) is at about 30lbs w/o pedals if that helps.
    Last edited by yagr68; 07-30-2020 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I did see the weights on Fanatik but wasn't sure how accurate they are. You might be right about them weighing them though if they get that specific. What size is yours? Also, which size and tire spec do you have? There can be a big difference on those when looking at a 2.3 exo vs 2.5 dd. I for sure don't think that the lightest carbon bike is always the best thing anyways. I think some brands go a little more stout for less flex, more reliability/less warranty issues, etc.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I need to know if Revel measures their effective top tube from the TOP center of the head tube horizontally to the center of the seatpost, so I can compare it to my current bike and buy the right size frame from Revel (some manufacturers measure this differently vs others).

Ideally, would current owners of a Rascal (or Rail) frame please measure their horizontal top tube measurement and post? Do you get exactly 610mm for a medium Rascal, or 633mm for a large if measuring from the TOP center of the head tube to the center of the seatpost?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Also, which size and tire spec do you have? There can be a big difference on those when looking at a 2.3 exo vs 2.5 dd. I for sure don't think that the lightest carbon bike is always the best thing anyways. I think some brands go a little more stout for less flex, more reliability/less warranty issues, etc.
    Sorry, about that. 2.4 dhr2 on front, 2.3 aggressor on back, both exo. Medium T1000 frame. It's definitely a burly frame.

mtbr member
    Name:  E36EAD6C-FE57-4710-884C-63944F1B3497.jpeg
Views: 440
Size:  39.3 KB

First few rides on the ElevenSix. Pretty impressive to see the difference. Brought both shocks with me to the trail and riding them an hour apart on the same trail and conditions really proved how a shock can completely change the ride and characteristics of your bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

First few rides on the ElevenSix. Pretty impressive to see the difference. Brought both shocks with me to the trail and riding them an hour apart on the same trail and conditions really proved how a shock can completely change the ride and characteristics of your bike.
    Um tease.... More plush? Small bump sensitivity?

Thinking of swapping the DPX2 for an 11/6.

mtbr member
    Um tease.... More plush? Small bump sensitivity?

Thinking of swapping the DPX2 for an 11/6.
    Canít speak on the DPX2 with the Rascal as I had the SuperD on mine. I actually had the SuperD tuned to be similar to a coil, and less poppy given that we have a lot of root/rock/chunk on my local trails. With that being said, once the 11.6 went on I could tell how different it was.

Small bump sensitivity was great, and definitely more plush. The craziest difference was how connected the rear feels to the ground. Through very fast rooty sections where I normally felt the rear bouncing/skipping, it just stayed planted. Climbing was also great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just to add another data point/perspective to this thread. I'm coming off an Ibis Mojo 3. Brief saddle time on a buddy's Rascal convinced me of the CBF goodness so I put together a Rascal with XT drive train, WR1/Onyx Vesper wheels, Hayes Dominion brakes, and a Pike Ultimate 150. I've been happily running Maxxis tires for years, and put a DHF/DHR set on the new bike (2.6/2.4).

I've had a handful of rides on it now and have yet to befriend the bike. I like technical climbing and am reasonably proficient. I am consistently failing on the Rascal where I regularly succeed on the Mojo (or my hard tail). The bike feels long, the front end floppy, and the suspension seems to wallow. It feels slow and heavy. I've bumped up shock pressure and am now running 20% sag. Unclear if it's the weight (33.5 lbs), the 29er wheels, the tires, the 150 fork, or the frame design but I honestly don't love the way it rides. Climbing feels ponderous and clunky. Descending is fine, if somewhat imprecise. It's smooth as all get out - I think the suspension feels good, for the most part.

The jump from 27.5 to 29 is perhaps bigger than I thought. While I've had 29ers in the past, the Rascal feels....different. I'm super happy with all the build decisions and don't see any obvious changes. I know the hubs are heavy, but I really like them. I know the tires are considered "slow" but they are what I'm used to an I appreciate the traction. This just might not be the bike for me.

I'll keep riding it, for now, but reach out if you're interested in an exceptional, lightly used T1000 build (large)...I could probably be talked into letting it go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwater View Post
    Just to add another data point/perspective to this thread. I'm coming off an Ibis Mojo 3. Brief saddle time on a buddy's Rascal convinced me of the CBF goodness so I put together a Rascal with XT drive train, WR1/Onyx Vesper wheels, Hayes Dominion brakes, and a Pike Ultimate 150. I've been happily running Maxxis tires for years, and put a DHF/DHR set on the new bike (2.6/2.4).

I've had a handful of rides on it now and have yet to befriend the bike. I like technical climbing and am reasonably proficient. I am consistently failing on the Rascal where I regularly succeed on the Mojo (or my hard tail). The bike feels long, the front end floppy, and the suspension seems to wallow. It feels slow and heavy. I've bumped up shock pressure and am now running 20% sag. Unclear if it's the weight (33.5 lbs), the 29er wheels, the tires, the 150 fork, or the frame design but I honestly don't love the way it rides. Climbing feels ponderous and clunky. Descending is fine, if somewhat imprecise. It's smooth as all get out - I think the suspension feels good, for the most part.

The jump from 27.5 to 29 is perhaps bigger than I thought. While I've had 29ers in the past, the Rascal feels....different. I'm super happy with all the build decisions and don't see any obvious changes. I know the hubs are heavy, but I really like them. I know the tires are considered "slow" but they are what I'm used to an I appreciate the traction. This just might not be the bike for me.

I'll keep riding it, for now, but reach out if you're interested in an exceptional, lightly used T1000 build (large)...I could probably be talked into letting it go.
    Great feedback and very interesting comparison with the Mojo3. I demo'd a Mojo3 along with about 8 other new bikes and even amongst 27.5ers, it's certainly one of the lightest, snappiest and more compact ones. It has a very short reach and steep angles compared to the "modern" mid to long travel 29ers. My Ripmo AF is kinda an odd duck as a heavy'ish bike (frame is less than 1 lb more than the Rascal) but has that super efficient DW pedaling. It's nimble for that type of bike but no where like a Mojo3. It's also way more stable than a Mojo3 so there's a trade off. A carbon Ripmo with a light build or that new Mojo4 sure sounds appealing when looking for a premium nimble mid/long-travel bike if you're really into the DW link huh? Good luck with your decision. I hear those Rascals are great bikes.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Leash Law Enforcer

Interesting observations.

On the technical climbing point I felt the same thing going from 27.5 to 29. On smooth surfaces the 29 wheels just roll but in the rough stuff they feel like they take more effort to me. That said, once I decided to go 29 I demo'd a SB130, Stumpy and the Rascal. The Rascal was the best climber of the 3, smooth or chunk. On the smooth stuff it didn't feel as fast as the Stumpy (it felt faster than the SB130) but the clock said it was faster. In the chunk I've found that if I drop one gear lower than what I think I need it will motor through just about anything. The traction really is that good. I've cleaned a handful of technical climbs on the Rascal that I never cleaned on my 27.5. I have a Pike 150 on mine as well and haven't experienced any floppiness. I run a DHR 2.4 on the front and Dissector 2.4 on the rear, both on Revel wheels with the hydra hubs.

I will also say that I think the suspension rewards good pedaling. If your approach is wreckless hammering I don't think you'll get the most out of this bike. If you're a bit more thoughtful with your pedal stroke and body/weight position I think you will get more out of it than most other bikes. Sounds nuts, but that's kind of what I like about it. The geometry puts you in such a good position to shift and move around as needed. I've even gone back to platform pedals to try and improve technique and so far it has been very rewarding with this bike.

And descents are just awesome. It's big without being too big and small without being too small. Not sure I will ever find the bottom of the rear travel. Super smooth.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    The bike feels long, the front end floppy, and the suspension seems to wallow. It feels slow and heavy. I've bumped up shock pressure and am now running 20% sag. Unclear if it's the weight (33.5 lbs), the 29er wheels, the tires, the 150 fork, or the frame design but I honestly don't love the way it rides. Climbing feels ponderous and clunky. Descending is fine, if somewhat imprecise. It's smooth as all get out - I think the suspension feels good, for the most part.

Hopefully you've got some of that sorted out by now....I will be running 150 as well, pretty excited to get my hands on this thing.

What offset are you running? I have had that floppy feeling with offset less than 51 on few bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    What offset are you running? I have had that floppy feeling with offset less than 51 on few bikes.
    Less than 51. Ended up with a 42 as the 51 was back ordered. Swapped some messages with Revel and they (and Worldwide) thought the 42 would actually help compensate for the longer travel .

I appreciate the replies and feedback. I gotta say it's odd having a fancy new bike that I don't want to ride. Planning an outing with a buddy this weekend and will be riding my Canfield EPO. I'm concerned about keeping up on the Rascal and would rather ride and not be flummoxed by my bike.

Guess it's time to put an ad together...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i'm in a positon that seems just as frustrating minus actually owning a new bike.
    I haven't ridden a bike yet that has fired me up enough to want to spend the money
    I find it somewhat amusing when people say that "you'll get used to it", in response to the newer bikes feeling a lot less fun than my "old" Yeti SB66c
    The only two major complaints I have with my bike is the narrow rim/squirmy tires (2.4) and that the seat post doesn't drop far enough down for technical riding
    I wish I could have made it to the last Sedona Bike festival to try out a handful of bikes to see what fits me and my style of riding
    So far, I've been on a Yeti SB130, SB140, SB150, Ibis Ripmo("old" one), Ibis HD4, Revel Rail, Revel Rascal
    Being 6'3'', I've been told that the 29ers are the way to go and I have yet to feel that way,
    29ers wheels feel too big and especially when mated with such aggressive tires
    Other bikes on my list to ride are
    Revel Ranger, Pivot Switchblade and the Ibis Mojo
    Yes, the above is every style of bike but when my bike checks off the boxes of being a fun bike in a broad spectrum of trails, I am curious to see what bike can do the same

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wolsey View Post
    i'm in a positon that seems just as frustrating minus actually owning a new bike.
    I haven't ridden a bike yet that has fired me up enough to want to spend the money
    I find it somewhat amusing when people say that "you'll get used to it", in response to the newer bikes feeling a lot less fun than my "old" Yeti SB66c
    The only two major complaints I have with my bike is the narrow rim/squirmy tires (2.4) and that the seat post doesn't drop far enough down for technical riding
    I wish I could have made it to the last Sedona Bike festival to try out a handful of bikes to see what fits me and my style of riding
    So far, I've been on a Yeti SB130, SB140, SB150, Ibis Ripmo("old" one), Ibis HD4, Revel Rail, Revel Rascal
    Being 6'3'', I've been told that the 29ers are the way to go and I have yet to feel that way,
    Yes, the above is every style of bike but when my bike checks off the boxes of being a fun in a broad spectrum of trails I am curious to see what bike can do the same
    Well, what you define as fun, your terrain and riding style, your tall height and your weight all matter here. You're talking about short travel bikes, long travel bikes, etc. What travel and geo do you want? If you want mid travel, not 29er, snappy handling, modern geo, then the Mojo4 is probably your bike based on your demos so far. That's for a light all around "trail/light enduro" bike, depending on the fork you put on it. What did you dislike about the HD4? I loved my Bronson V3 demo but it'd classify it as a bit more enduro than most of what you mentioned, except for the SB150. Before buying my AF, I did a ton of demos; Mojo3, Ripmo V1, Bronson V3, Hightower 2 (after I got my AF), Altitude, Instinct BC, Stumpy 27.5, Enduro 27.5 (2018) and Tracer. I didn't demo the Offering, but that's another sweet middle ground 29er that everyone loves. The Rascal and V2 Ripmo weren't out yet when I got mine so not an option.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm in a positon that seems just as frustrating minus actually owning a new bike....
    I suspect it's a bit more frustrating to have spent tall dollars and be unsatisfied with the result.

mtbr member
    Yes, the above is every style of bike but when my bike checks off the boxes of being a fun in a broad spectrum of trails I am curious to see what bike can do the same
    How did you like the Rail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Being on the tall side 6'3'' and only having the option of riding a large frame, I knew i had to take that in consideration of the feel
    I ended up getting used to the bike fairly easily.
    That said, the maxxis dhf/dhr are pretty aggressive tire for all but the most demanding trails and then in southern california you dont need that much tread
    The Rail is a full on enduro bike that does feel very supportive in regards to pedaling. Unfortunately the suspension felt harsh to me despite being soft on both compression setting and lowering the air pressure below what RockShock says is the ballpark
    If your trails are flowy, trail bike style this is completely overkill

mtbr member
    Being on the tall side 6'3'' and only having the option of riding a large frame, I knew i had to take that in consideration of the feel
    I ended up getting used to the bike fairly easily.
    That said, the maxxis dhf/dhr are pretty aggressive tire for all but the most demanding trails and then in southern california you dont need that much tread
    The Rail is a full on enduro bike that does feel very supportive in regards to pedaling. Unfortunately the suspension felt harsh to me despite being soft on both compression setting and lowering the air pressure below what RockShock says is the ballpark
    If your trails are flowy, trail bike style this is completely overkill
    SoCal, mostly Laguna Beach.
    I prefer 27.5 bikes and like longer travel, especially in the front. 140mm isn't enough Fork for me, 160 is a minimum I would go with. I don't like 2 bike scenario either, I ride the same stuff most of the time, so had to sell my mid travel 29er due to not riding any mellow trails much. I even like longer travel on flow trails, as long as I can firm up the rear a bit. Push coil works well in this regard with 2 different settings, trail and DH on mine.
    Considering the rail as my Nomad replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Well, what you define as fun, your terrain and riding style, your tall height and your weight all matter here. You're talking about short travel bikes, long travel bikes, etc. What travel and geo do you want? If you want mid travel, not 29er, snappy handling, modern geo, then the Mojo4 is probably your bike based on your demos so far. That's for a light all around "trail/light enduro" bike, depending on the fork you put on it. What did you dislike about the HD4? I loved my Bronson V3 demo but it'd classify it as a bit more enduro than most of what you mentioned, except for the SB150. Before buying my AF, I did a ton of demos; Mojo3, Ripmo V1, Bronson V3, Hightower 2 (after I got my AF), Altitude, Instinct BC, Stumpy 27.5, Enduro 27.5 (2018) and Tracer. I didn't demo the Offering, but that's another sweet middle ground 29er that everyone loves. The Rascal and V2 Ripmo weren't out yet when I got mine so not an option.
    I would say that my 9yr old Yeti SB66c seems to be fun to ride in a wider range of conditions than what I've demoed so far and most likely would be similiar to the Mojo or the Bronson which I've yet to try
    And most, if not all of the bikes I've demoed have been set up with super aggressive tires which I believe would help significantly if the set up was a Maxis Aggressor or Rekon in the back and whatever up front ....slightly less aggressive all around

I rode the Ibis HD4 around 1-1/2 yrs ago at least but I'm almost certain it was set up with a 2.5 rear and possibly bigger front. I also don't like the ID of a rim wider than 30mm, like what Ibis and Pivot do on their bikes is too much unless you run a wide tire.
    I would never run anything larger than at 2.5 front and 2.4 rear

The 29ers are not anything I believe I'll be stoked on as all around bike but I still want to try the Revel Ranger to see what that category of bike is all about

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I demo'd a Mojo3 and it was a totally different bike from the Bronson 3. The Mojo3 is a snappy less capable bike but better on more xc or trail type rides. The Bronson 3 is certainly trail/enduro and much more plush and stable. The Mojo4 though has been updated quite a bit and with a big fork is probably closer to the Bronson 3 but still, the Mojo4 is not an HD5. Anyways, if you like your bike so much and don't seem to like anything else, why bother! Haha. Just ride it.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Less than 51. Ended up with a 42 as the 51 was back ordered. Swapped some messages with Revel and they (and Worldwide) thought the 42 would actually help compensate for the longer travel .

I appreciate the replies and feedback. I gotta say it's odd having a fancy new bike that I don't want to ride. Planning an outing with a buddy this weekend and will be riding my Canfield EPO. I'm concerned about keeping up on the Rascal and would rather ride and not be flummoxed by my bike.

I have been there on a V1 Ripmo, everyone loved the bike. I did a short demo ride and thought I was happy with it. I built up a dream machine only to feel just like you do now. Sell it while its fresh, move on.

mtbr member
    ... I like technical climbing and am reasonably proficient. I am consistently failing on the Rascal where I regularly succeed on the Mojo (or my hard tail). The bike feels long, the front end floppy, and the suspension seems to wallow. It feels slow and heavy.,.
    Yeah. I don't have a Rascal (or Revel) yet, but been looking at and demoing new bikes and have the same issues with the "new" geo bikes. Too low/long/slack for my riding and preferences, which sound similar to yours. Trail bikes I liked a couple of years ago have moved toward all-mountain/endure geos. XC bikes (and now "down country") have geos very similar to trail bikes a few years ago. That's kind of where I've been looking...maybe the Revel Ranger or Spot Ryve...
    What, me worry?

NB
    Jul 2020

You should try swapping the fork. I recently went from a 140 Pike 51 offset to 150 42 offset Lyrik. I am quite happy with it. Revel recommended the shorter offset fork to maintain geometry. A guy I know had 150 pike on his rascal with a 44 offset and didnít like it as much as a 51. He swapped his fork.

mtbr member
    A longer fork slackens the HTA and adds trail. Decreased offset also adds trail. Those two changes are in the same direction, making the bike even more floppy in climbs.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Nice setup! Iíve been looking at the push shock but worried it might be too linear? Do you feel like it blows through its travel more? Iím sure push did a good job tuning for the Rascal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cschuetta View Post
    Nice setup! Iíve been looking at the push shock but worried it might be too linear? Do you feel like it blows through its travel more? Iím sure push did a good job tuning for the Rascal.
    I have always enjoyed the feeling of an air shock, especially on this bike (and on my old Riot). The main issue I had with it was on the fast rooty, rocky, rutted out sections, I always felt the rear skipping around a good bit. With the ElevenSix it has essentially eliminated that issue.

By eliminated I truly mean just that. The bike is grounded, the rear stays put and you can absolutely open it up on the downs. I havenít noticed anything with regards to blowing through the travel. I have only used it in ĎDHí mode so far, and I think the biggest surprise is how well it climbs. Mostly on the rocky tech climbs, but itís impressive.

Iíd be happy to answer any other questions, but I can easily say youíll be 100% satisfied with this on the Rascal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have always enjoyed the feeling of an air shock, especially on this bike (and on my old Riot). The main issue I had with it was on the fast rooty, rocky, rutted out sections, I always felt the rear skipping around a good bit. With the ElevenSix it has essentially eliminated that issue.

By eliminated I truly mean just that. The bike is grounded, the rear stays put and you can absolutely open it up on the downs. I havenít noticed anything with regards to blowing through the travel. I have only used it in ĎDHí mode so far, and I think the biggest surprise is how well it climbs. Mostly on the rocky tech climbs, but itís impressive.

Iíd be happy to answer any other questions, but I can easily say youíll be 100% satisfied with this on the Rascal.

Nice! Thank you for the feed back. Itís looking very tempting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Has anyone here also tried a knolly fugitive lt that can compare the two?

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hi guys - just got my Rascal today down here in Australia . Went with XL

just seeking some advise in setting up the front & rear shock , Iím 83/84 kg which is around 183-185 pounds

any info would be greatly appreciated

NB
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashmtber View Post

just seeking some advise in setting up the front & rear shock , Iím 83/84 kg which is around 183-185 pounds

For the rear shock revel recommends 110% of your body weight. I set up my front based on the RockShox app, which recommended 88 psi for 178 lbs.

Leash Law Enforcer

Sag is suggested to be between 25%-30% in the rear. I weigh just about the same as you and I achieve that sag with about 215 psi. Sag sits just shy of 30% at that pressure and feels great.

I'm running about 90 psi in the Pike up front and it feels great too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by nbaier View Post
    For the rear shock revel recommends 110% of your body weight. I set up my front based on the RockShox app, which recommended 88 psi for 178 lbs.
    Thx a lot will check out rock shock app

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch View Post
    Sag is suggested to be between 25%-30% in the rear. I weigh just about the same as you and I achieve that sag with about 215 psi. Sag sits just shy of 30% at that pressure and feels great.

I'm running about 90 psi in the Pike up front and it feels great too.
    Ok thatís good info , have you played around with any tokens ?

thx again for the reply really appreciate it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Curious how tall you are and how the XL fits. Reach seems short on paper, but that can be deceiving sometimes

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Curious how tall you are and how the XL fits. Reach seems short on paper, but that can be deceiving sometimes

im 187cm or 6Ē1.622
    arm wing span = 174cm
    leg inner = 85cm

for my height I have shorter arm length but longer torso

today my first ride on it so I will let you guys now

Leash Law Enforcer
    Ok thatís good info , have you played around with any tokens ?

thx again for the reply really appreciate it
    Haven't played around with tokens yet but i'm thinking the Pike may benefit from adding one. I'll probably give it a shot in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Revel Rascal

Is the Rascalís seattube angle in a good position for pedaling uphill? I know itís advertised at 75deg, but itís hard to know what that number really means without demo-ING the bike. And does it do well in all positions when using the dropper post? Iíve had bikes that do a good job in this department and others not so much(too slack.) Iíd be on an XL.

Last edited by Rideon; 09-21-2020 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    How do these compare to a Ripmo? I've spent a bunch of time on a buddy's XL Ripmo and holy hell are they nice as a do-it-all bike. Ibis's DWLink is just insanely nice. Its not even close to anything else I've ridden going up...and its a blast going down. Not what I'd want for a heavy Enduro race but ridiculously nice for everything else. That being said, I've never ridden a Canfield.

BTW, my Grandma also rode a Rascal E-Scooter. She loved it. (Worst bike name ever lol...their other names are sweet tho)

NB
    Jul 2020
    I bought the Rascal over the Ripmo v1. I preferred Rascal suspension platform. Rascal rides like a bigger bike than itís numbers suggest.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Is the Rascalís seattube angle in a good position for pedaling uphill? I know itís advertised at 75deg, but itís hard to know what that number really means without demo-ING the bike. And does it do well in all positions when using the dropper post? Iíve had bikes that do a good job in this department and others not so much(too slack.) Iíd be on an XL.
    I think it's great. It is very balanced/neutral. A lot of bikes have gotten too aggressive with the seat angle IMO. I've ridden a SB130 and found it put me too far forward when climbing the tech stuff. Too much forward weight caused the front wheel to get hung up. The Rascal puts you in a very neutral place and allows you to move your body weight to accommodate what you are doing.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Just got my Rascal today. I bought it sight unseen and after deciding between a Fezzari Delano, ripmo, or Hightower. Iím 6í2Ē so right on the edge of most sizes, but the XL Rascal fits spot on. Here are some of my measurements for those trying to decide.

6í2Ē height, 73Ē arm span. 33Ē pants inseam, 36Ē standover.

I got the gx build spec with upgraded shock/fork and also changed to 170mm cranks. Cockpit fit was spot on out of the box with several spacers on the stem, and I moved the seat forward on rails almost to the stops limit. The dropper is raised maybe half an inch above the collar, so getting almost max drop possible above TT. One thing I would change is the chainring from 32T to a 30T. I do a fair amount of climbing for my descents and found myself in the bailout ring too often, and never used the smallest 2 rings.

Iím coming from a specialized Fuse, so my comparisons to other full suspension rigs are non existent.

Iím still playing with shock settings, I have psi at suggested pressures, but trying to dial in rebound and compression. If anyone has settings they can share Iím all ears.

Also, tire pressure is 27R/24F. What have others found works for them on the i9 wheelset/tire combo?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Well I can answer some of my own questions, maybe it will save some other folks time. For tire pressure Iíve started to settle around 20f/23r.

shock setup has been the biggest hassle, and had I just stayed close to the factory setup it would have saved a few hours. I have always lived by this setup guide https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/technic...spension-setup However I got fancy with tokens and should have tweaked pressure and rebound first.

And for my weight around 172 geared up I have the rear shock at 190psi, rebound 2 from closed (slow), LSC 4 from open(Fast) for 28-30% seated sag.

Pike Ultimate Fork has 1 token, 66psi, LSC 4 from closed, rebound 9 from closed for 20-22% attack position sag. I ride somewhat light on the bars seated, so this will definitely affect my settings vs others.

The RS fork takes very fine tuning to get rid of its typical harsh ride, I delved through many forum posts here on the ďI hate my pikeĒ. Glad I went with the ultimate upgrade...

The fork definitely needs breaking in,something Iíve never had with fox forks. The stiction is real for Rockshox forks, so much that I canít wait to get some other wiper seals in there when the time comes.

Also, the GX cassette is the biggest piece of junk that has ever graced my rear wheel. I had to actually take pliers and a dremel to it to stop in ďclickingĒ and jumping the chain. See this thread https://forums.mtbr.com/sram/eagle-c...g-1087072.html

Other than that, the rear suspension just doesnít seem to have a limit, and been loving everything else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Setup with DPX2

Hey folks, getting my Rascal in later today. Curious if anyone is running the dpx2 and what settings they have there. Any different to the setup with the super deluxe? Trying to understand good baseline for open mode adjustment and rebound? Thanks

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTrails View Post
    Just got my Rascal today. I bought it sight unseen and after deciding between a Fezzari Delano, ripmo, or Hightower. Iím 6í2Ē so right on the edge of most sizes, but the XL Rascal fits spot on. Here are some of my measurements for those trying to decide.

6í2Ē height, 73Ē arm span. 33Ē pants inseam, 36Ē standover.

I got the gx build spec with upgraded shock/fork and also changed to 170mm cranks. Cockpit fit was spot on out of the box with several spacers on the stem, and I moved the seat forward on rails almost to the stops limit. The dropper is raised maybe half an inch above the collar, so getting almost max drop possible above TT. One thing I would change is the chainring from 32T to a 30T. I do a fair amount of climbing for my descents and found myself in the bailout ring too often, and never used the smallest 2 rings.

Iím coming from a specialized Fuse, so my comparisons to other full suspension rigs are non existent.

Iím still playing with shock settings, I have psi at suggested pressures, but trying to dial in rebound and compression. If anyone has settings they can share Iím all ears.

Also, tire pressure is 27R/24F. What have others found works for them on the i9 wheelset/tire combo?
    If you want to get your seat back in the rails more you could try reducing the stem spacers if that works and even go hi-rise bar if you want to retain the bar height.

That's what I ended up doing (6'4") to get comfortable reach and saddle setup.

I think tire pressure is going to be mostly based on your tires and terrain & riding style.

I am running a Garbaruk 28T/Eagle52 Oval, love it for steeps.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So I've had my Rascal for about 6 months and love it. It has served me extremely well.

One thing I've noticed - the rear triangle is very pliable. If you grab the back wheel and rock it back and forth, there's quite a bit of movement / pliability side to side.

Its not the bushings or bearings - all are fine and well maintained, properly torqued. Same with the axle and hub.

This seems to be a design characteristic. I can't speak to whether it is a bad characteristic or not. I have talked with a dealer and he said he noticed the same thing with his Rascal, and he thinks it is because the bushing / pivot bolt sizes are smaller than what he saw with the Canfield design, and he thinks maybe they should have been sized bigger and the seat-stays and chain-stays maybe sized a bit thicker.

Anyone else noticed this?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    So I've had my Rascal for about 6 months and love it. It has served me extremely well.

One thing I've noticed - the rear triangle is very pliable. If you grab the back wheel and rock it back and forth, there's quite a bit of movement / pliability side to side.

Its not the bushings or bearings - all are fine and well maintained, properly torqued. Same with the axle and hub.

This seems to be a design characteristic. I can't speak to whether it is a bad characteristic or not. I have talked with a dealer and he said he noticed the same thing with his Rascal, and he thinks it is because the bushing / pivot bolt sizes are smaller than what he saw with the Canfield design, and he thinks maybe they should have been sized bigger and the seat-stays and chain-stays maybe sized a bit thicker.

Every modern bike Iíve tried, I can use my hands and get the tire to touch the rear triangle....

Maybe a bit of flex designed it. I certainly never noticed it while riding.

mtbr member

Not on the Rascal, but I did notice this on the Rail that I demoed in Moab a few weeks ago. I could feel the flex in certain instances, but when I was hauling ass and hitting drops on the Whole Enchilada, I couldn't feel it at all. I'd be curious to see what Revel says about it. I also have a GG Trail Pistol, and there's virtually no flex at all in the rear triangle... but the ride isn't quite as plush as the Revel either.