Revel Rascal- Mtbr.com

Thread: Revel Rascal

mtbr member
    May 2016

Revel Rascal

This bike deserves its own thread. Iíve ridden most the modern super bikes. The rascal is as good as any of them.

Itís like a snappier, livelier sb130. With outstanding finish, customization, and touch points. The rear end doesnít feel quite as plush as the sb130, but I think it far exceeds it in terms of dancing with the trail and being insanely nimble and quick, and possibly a better climber.

Anyone ridden it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLfwTZlkrc

Iíll post a more thorough review when I have the time.
    Last edited by Gratefulone; 09-11-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    There's a few reviews in here, including my own:

https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-build...s-1101818.html

I agree with your evaluation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It's the CBF (Canfield Balance Formula) suspension at the Rascal's heart. I ride a 2017 Canfield Riot, the Rascal's closest (and only) 29er relative. Without ever having ridden, or even seen one in person, I can kind-of-sort-of attest then to what you're saying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think thereís a tread called Revel reviews. They are amazing bikes. I canít complain at all.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    The black frame with the helm looks so good. How do you like the helm?

I was originally looking to go all black, but they had a blue ready a few days after ordering so I went with that. And now the blue is really grown on me.

This bike truly rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulone View Post
    The black frame with the helm looks so good. How do you like the helm?

I was originally looking to go all black, but they had a blue ready a few days after ordering so I went with that. And now the blue is really grown on me.

This bike truly rides like a dream.
    I really like the helm. It stays planted around corners and through rocks and roots. The only time it doesnít feel great is when Iím going slow.

I think Revel nailed it with all the colors so far. The blue looks amazing too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is the frame stiffer than it's namesake?
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Not sure which name sake implies not stiff?

But I think the frame is super burly and stiff. I am not a light man, and I detect no flex on the trail. I think the frame is a bit heavy compared to a few competitors, and I think part of that is it due to the incredibly robust paint job. It also includes some built in frame protection.

Itís burly bro. Until you get it moving then itís a dart.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    What travel do you have helm set too?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I only have one ride so far, but yes, rear end stiffness is not an issue.

I wouldnít call the frame portly, but I think it enjoys a good pizza on the weekends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Helm is set at 140. Iíll probably try it at 150 or 160 eventually. But it rides so good right now Iíve lost my ambition to play with settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    Helm is set at 140. Iíll probably try it at 150 or 160
    eventually. But it rides so good right now Iíve lost my ambition to play with settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Iím curious what 150/ 160 would be like. Revel hasnít publicly stated anywhere if they approve of increase / wether it voids warranty. The frame sure seems stiff enough to support. But yes I agree itís riding so good, no need for tinkering.

Look forward to taking It to the desert in the coming weeks to see how it handles more chunk.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I rode one a few weeks ago. Blue X01 build. Was planning on getting my first full squish 29er and also tried the sb100, tallboy 4 and evil following. I really didn't like any of them and ended up falling in love with the SC 5010. I just didn't find any of those 29ers nimble enough for my style and area trails, so, I'm going 27.5 for my new bike. That said, take what I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt.
    The rascal was by far my least favorite bike to ride out of the 4. I got really frustrated climbing a few times. The front end was very light for me and I was wandering a lot when things got really slow. Didn't feel like it accelerated well on flat sections (dhf/dhr combo didn't help I'm sure). The bike really really shines on downhill chop though. Smooth, plush as hell and feels like there's no bottom. It's just that around here that's not a high enough percentage of the time you're on the bike. In my 2 hour ride I only had a couple brief moments like that.
    Also, the frame is beautiful in every way. Very high quality. You definitely won't be disappointed there if you buy one.
    For comparison sake, I liked the SB100 the best but decided not to buy one because of the issues with the link and the cost. My next choice would have been the evil. But as I said, none of them felt flickable enough for me.
    On an unrelated note, the I9 hydra freehub was popping constantly on my ride. This demo was virtually brand new, maybe 30 miles on it and the I9 issues were already rearing their head.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I rode one a few weeks ago. Blue X01 build. Was planning on getting my first full squish 29er and also tried the sb100, tallboy 4 and evil following. I really didn't like any of them and ended up falling in love with the SC 5010. I just didn't find any of those 29ers nimble enough for my style and area trails, so, I'm going 27.5 for my new bike. That said, take what I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt.
    The rascal was by far my least favorite bike to ride out of the 4. I got really frustrated climbing a few times. The front end was very light for me and I was wandering a lot when things got really slow. Didn't feel like it accelerated well on flat sections (dhf/dhr combo didn't help I'm sure). The bike really really shines on downhill chop though. Smooth, plush as hell and feels like there's no bottom. It's just that around here that's not a high enough percentage of the time you're on the bike. In my 2 hour ride I only had a couple brief moments like that.
    Also, the frame is beautiful in every way. Very high quality. You definitely won't be disappointed there if you buy one.
    For comparison sake, I liked the SB100 the best but decided not to buy one because of the issues with the link and the cost. My next choice would have been the evil. But as I said, none of them felt flickable enough for me.
    On an unrelated note, the I9 hydra freehub was popping constantly on my ride. This demo was virtually brand new, maybe 30 miles on it and the I9 issues were already rearing their head.
    Buzz kill. Sounds like demo setup issues. Iíve ridden the modern offerings from santa Cruz and yeti, etc, and the rascal easily stands up to the competition. I had the opportunity to purchase any of the above mentioned bikes and chose the rascal.

It seems like itís certainly more bike then you were looking for, which makes sense as to why you preferred the sb100.

Glad you are stoked on 5010. Itís also a very sweet rig.

Iím coming off a blinged out tallboy 3. It was ever so slightly snappier then the rascal, but the rascal is far more confident descending. They climb very similar. Tech climbing the rascal is better by a notch. Smooth climbing the tallboy is better by a notch.

Tbh: it took me 4 rides to get the suspension dialed on the rascal and truly fall in love. You really can tell so little from a demo. For example: if you lowered the bar height and shortened the stem, the wandering you experienced would probably disappear.

Iím 5í9Ē. I demoed the medium and large and settled with a large and 40mm stem, 780 bars with a good bit of rise. Itís perfect.

In the past few seasons Iíve had: a Yeti Sb4.5, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3, specialized epic - s works, Rocky Mountain slayer; and Iíve extensively demoed all the modern super bike offerings (including 5010).

I feel like the rascal is the culmination of my favorite parts of all these bikes. For me, itís the perfect 1 bike quiver.

Happy trails. Enjoy your new 5010
    Last edited by Gratefulone; 09-14-2019 at 10:21 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulone View Post
    Buzz kill. Sounds like demo setup issues.
    Spent a good amount of time at the shop setting sag with all my gear on, I think it was pretty well set. However, looking at the numbers of what I've been riding, what I just ordered, and the bikes that were my 2nd and 3rd choices, I think I should have been on a medium even though the large "felt" ok. Also, even if I was on a medium the wheelbase is still longer than what I gravitate to. I think the rascal needs a good amount of wide open space to stretch it's legs. I was thinking if I had a chance to ride one at Buffalo Creek in CO I'd probably adore it. Or, if revel had a 130mm 27.5 bike, that would also be a strong contender. In the big scheme of things, $2800 for a revel frame is a really nice price compared to some other companies and the quality is top notch.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Spent a good amount of time at the shop setting sag with all my gear on, I think it was pretty well set. However, looking at the numbers of what I've been riding, what I just ordered, and the bikes that were my 2nd and 3rd choices, I think I should have been on a medium even though the large "felt" ok. Also, even if I was on a medium the wheelbase is still longer than what I gravitate to. I think the rascal needs a good amount of wide open space to stretch it's legs. I was thinking if I had a chance to ride one at Buffalo Creek in CO I'd probably adore it. Or, if revel had a 130mm 27.5 bike, that would also be a strong contender. In the big scheme of things, $2800 for a revel frame is a really nice price compared to some other companies and the quality is top notch.
    Totally appreciate what you are saying. The only thing I would add, is once I was able to find some space to open it up on the rascal, Iím now finding I can open it up in tighter places and finding it very nimble. now that I know how to ride it. It felt a little big at first, now it feels like a dart.

Of course, a long wheelbase 29er will never feel like a shorter 27.5 bike. Personally, i am a 29er guy.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A friend has one and is not so happy with how it climbs, his main complaint being wallowing when he stands up. However, he doesn't have a shock with LSC - would that make a big difference on this bike?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    A friend has one and is not so happy with how it climbs, his main complaint being wallowing when he stands up. However, he doesn't have a shock with LSC - would that make a big difference on this bike?
    To your friend: the CBF suspension is sag point independent. Meaning it rides well whatever sag point you set. If he is wallowing, add 5 psi and see how that goes.

Iím a heavy dude and need I loose 25lbs (former Cat 1 racer, and college athlete prior to that, for reference). And I have no adverse wallow. I like to sit and spin until it gets tech and steep, then I stand and hammer. Itís super firm while sitting, and just the right amount of compression to give me grip while standing through steep/ techy climbs.

Iíve been very successful at 25% sag. Then I dropped down to 30 percent sag so itís a little more plush descending. I still have no detectable wallow at 30 percent. And this coming from a guy who rode the tallboy 3 last, and a specialized Epic before that (both very firm pedaling platforms).

Why would your friend buy a brand new bike if he wasnít stoked on it? Did he demo first?

The bike freaking rips. Donít over think it (to your friend). Once you get to know the bike, and ride it aggressively, it comes to life like no other.

I almost bought the 130. But so glad I waited for a rascal.

Ps. I have a good set of carbon wheels, and the aggressor 2.3 on the rear so that certainly helps uphill/ and flats. I have no complaints climbing other than my current fitness level.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Iíve heard a few people say it wallows up climbs. Iím curious how that happens. I think mine wallows less than the Ripley LS I had before. Maybe its size of rider and shock settings. Iím 200lbs with a cane creek shock 25% sag, high speed compression fully open, low speed 3 clicks from open. It climbs great seated or standing. I ride lots of steep ups and downs with rocks and roots. You could always contact the guys at Revel they are always quick to respond.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    Iíve heard a few people say it wallows up climbs. Iím curious how that happens. I think mine wallows less than the Ripley LS I had before. Maybe its size of rider and shock settings. Iím 200lbs with a cane creek shock 25% sag, high speed compression fully open, low speed 3 clicks from open. It climbs great seated or standing. I ride lots of steep ups and downs with rocks and roots. You could always contact the guys at Revel they are always quick to respond.
    Totally agree. Itís perplexing.

If I wasnít so dang stoked on this bike, I would regret making this thread. I have a little medical issue that has me off the bike for a week, and I was hoping to just read and share stoke around this bike.

I sure do hope your friend finds the right settings as it would truly be a shame to not be in love with this bike. It deserves all the love. It does want to be driven though, and is not nearly as fun if you are just along for the ride. Thatís even more true of the Large Yeti SB130.

I may have already mentioned this: but this like feels like itís directly between the medium and large sb130.

The large rascal also feels like itís in between the large v4 Ripley and the large sb130. Which to me, is the perfect compromise right now.

Ps. Iím on the western slope of Colorado. So I certainly have some room to let it run. But also have TONs of challenging climbing and some tight spaces.
    Last edited by Gratefulone; 09-15-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Having a nice day!
    I test rode a Rascal at a recent demo. Setup was a little soft for me, so it was blowing through its travel faster than I'd like, but it was a sweet feeling ride and if I were looking to get a short travel 29er, it would be in strong contention. Revel is coming on strong in the Atlanta area, with a lot of folks opting for the Rail. I'm tempted to go that route when I spring for a new frame as every part on my Spider would swap over and I can just extend the travel on my Helm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    3rd ride on mine today. Monarch Crest yesterday, Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman in Crested Butte today.

Climbing wise, if you are comparing it to a short link set-up like an Ibis, and prefer to ride high in the travel, I can see where you may feel it wallows. Yes, the Rascal is not a snappy, however, traction on techy climbs is superb.

As cliche as it sounds, where this bike really shines is going the other way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Lovin it!

Couldnít be happier with my Rail. Iím set up 27.5 rear/29 front with 160mm travel and 51 offset, Fox 36.
    Revel Rascal-7c423007-519d-4569-b745-97b2dc75f76f.jpg

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Broads72 View Post
    Couldnít be happier with my Rail. Iím set up 27.5 rear/29 front with 160mm travel and 51 offset, Fox 36.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C423007-519D-4569-B745-97B2DC75F76F.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	1283005
    Oh nice! Tell me more, did you ride it 275 up front before going 29? That's exactly how I would like to setup this frame...

What size frame? Does it feel snappy - playful?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk