Revel Ranger- Mtbr.com

Thread: Revel Ranger

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Revel Ranger

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/revel-...rail-bike.html

Good possibility this ends up my next bike. Always wanted a shorter travel Riot.
    Only thing I hate is under BB routing.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Good choice. The Revel's run a tad heavy but that rear suspension is soooooooo good in the repeated chunk/chatter/breaking bumps that I think it *should* be much better on the downs than the other bikes in this class. I know the Rascal was 10X better than the Yeti SB130 coming down.
    Carpe Diem!!

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Put my deposit in this morning. Large Black. Will run my Ohlins suspension on it..
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

Formerly of Kent
    Beautiful looking bikes. Id like to compare it to my Sniper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think I might have one if the first ones showing up this week??
    Went green with blue Sid package
    @Le Duke, this is what I got the xrcs 1200s for I posted in the xc forum
    Im 58sh and went with [email protected], how tall are you?
    My trail bike (2020 occam) is a large, but the medium ranger looks to have front center #s close to my old large sb100 which was a stable yet nimble xc bike. Honestly, Ive been chasing the performance of the sb ever since I sold it.....I had SI issues
    Going barzo 2.35 mezcal 2.35
    Shimano xtr FC-mt900-1 cranks 34 t (side note, one of the best deals in cycling...its the non series crank they used as place holder til the series crank hit....I believe its the xtr ring and the crank is lighter than xt... finishing is nice)
    Xtr 4 piston brakes
    Xt shifter, der cassette
    Xtr chain
    One up 180 dropper and bar
    I9 a35 stem 50mm
    Fabric scoop
    Odi elite pros
    Will post pic and ride report stat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Beautiful looking bikes. Id like to compare it to my Sniper.
    On PB comments, someone said Revel has frame at 6.1#(med). Is that acceptable...esp when compared to your Sniper?

At 195#, not sure Id be concerned about pushing some weight esp. if it improved durability, but just interested to hear a race guys take.

This bike is intriguing to me bc I liked the Rascal so much, but I dont need a 140/130...but wonder if the shorter travel will feel the same.

Velez: please post pics, b/c I was thinking: green with blue!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Will do @smartyiak
    Bringing parts up today, hoping to snap pic of frame to weigh.....
    Not trying to an answer for Le Duke but my 2cents...I have zero issues with 6lbs (think that includes shock). Revel bikes are known for their sublime ride characteristic which comes from their layup process (fairly elaborate, cool to read about) and CBF
    Weve probably All had bikes that werent the lightest but flew, and Ive had some light weights that have cracked, felt like poo in the high speed chatter K2 discusses,
    Or had other issues with linkage compromises for weights sake
    Some flex stay designs are pretty good, some high mod rockets do ok with chunky XC but I want zero compromises on suspension when only dealing with 115, if not Id just reach for a hard tail .....also, lifetime warranty✌🏼

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    @velez3000 - Im 5'9" but always upsize. I love long bikes and long reach.

Hmmmm....probably trying to makeup for other short comings. But that's another thread altogether. HAHA
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    On PB comments, someone said Revel has frame at 6.1#(med). Is that acceptable...esp when compared to your Sniper?

At 195#, not sure Id be concerned about pushing some weight esp. if it improved durability, but just interested to hear a race guys take.

This bike is intriguing to me bc I liked the Rascal so much, but I dont need a 140/130...but wonder if the shorter travel will feel the same.

6.1 is a half pound more than a SB100 and close to a full pound more than a Blur. To me, that's not a deal breaker - which is why I put my deposit down.

I was told early August delivery, so I wonder if the press release is outdated, or a bunch of people got in line in front of me. I paid my $100 at ~10AM MST on 6/22.

Also, I was told approximately 6# even for a large with shock , but that they didn't have any production frames to say for certain, so +/- a margin.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

Formerly of Kent

I'd have no problem building that bike up to 24.X lbs. The frame is only a lb heavier than my current bike.

If it had great ride quality, and pedaled well, I could see plenty of people jumping on it for an endurance machine. What I don't understand is people taking a 120/115mm bike and building it up at 30lbs. Going fast both up and down is the reason for a bike like that. Making it drag ass going up makes no sense to me.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'd have no problem building that bike up to 24.X lbs. The frame is only a lb heavier than my current bike.

If it had great ride quality, and pedaled well...What I don't understand is people taking a 120/115mm bike and building it up at 30lbs. Going fast both up and down is the reason for a bike like that. Making it drag ass going up makes no sense to me.
    Yep...that's what I was getting at with both my weight and "feel" comments. For example, I demo'd a Stumpy-ST and Smuggler. I loved the geo of the Smuggler, but both the Stumpy and Smugg seemed to suck the life out of me when climbing; there just didn't seem to be any support there (I've seen your "wet mattress" comments and I think the analogy is not a bad one). I rode a Pivot Firebird right after those two...and I would prefer riding that all day to either of those two...despite the MUCH longer travel (and it probably weighed the same).

If the Ranger pedals like a Rascal on EPO, it will be a great bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Yep...that's what I was getting at with both my weight and "feel" comments. For example, I demo'd a Stumpy-ST and Smuggler. I loved the geo of the Smuggler, but both the Stumpy and Smugg seemed to suck the life out of me when climbing; there just didn't seem to be any support there (I've seen your "wet mattress" comments and I think the analogy is not a bad one). I rode a Pivot Firebird right after those two...and I would prefer riding that all day to either of those two...despite the MUCH longer travel (and it probably weighed the same).

If the Ranger pedals like a Rascal on EPO, it will be a great bike.
    Yeah. There are certain bikes that for whatever reason, despite having longer travel, feel significantly better than shorter, seemingly more sporty bikes. Not just going uphill, but any time you have to get on the gas. Getting back up to speed out of a corner, for example. Is it geometry? AS? Some other mystical, heretofore undefined quality? I don't know.

Your Firebird example is a good one. I haven't ridden a Firebird, but have thrown a leg over a Switchblade; it pedals very well for what it is. Extremely well. A bike like a Stumpjumper ST, though? Why not just get the EVO or normal version and extra travel if it's going to pedal that poorly? It goes down very well, but it's certainly not in the same class of bike as a Sniper T, for example. Similar travel to a Ripley V4, but not even close in terms of feel.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Very interested in this bike as i'm currently shopping for a new one. Had my sights on the Ripley, T429 and Following V3. Ruled out the sb100, can't take that chance with my money ( i've read the switch problem is over hyped, but still). Anyways they're all great bikes. I live in Ohio, so looking for something that can be great on the tight, rooty, midwest style of terrain. Not a racer but i do like to get on the gas, and catch a little air here and there. Demo's hard to come in my area, other than the big 3. But did get a demo last year on the T429, size L. At just a little under 6'1" that bike felt short, would probably size up to Xl. But really liked the feel of the DW.

That leads me to my hesitation on the Ranger...I really like the looks of the geo, not too extreme. i think it would be great for my area. But I don't know much about the CBH suspension. Does it have a good peddling platform, is it a good climber? Does it have good support to accelerate out of corners? I don't want to hassle with lockouts. Most of my climbs are too short to mess with that. I've read about the Rascal, but that's a different horse for a different course. Curious about the shock tune for the Ranger. Very tempted to put in a pre order. Ohh the dilemmas!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by makpak42 View Post
    Very interested in this bike as i'm currently shopping for a new one. Had my sights on the Ripley, T429 and Following V3. Ruled out the sb100, can't take that chance with my money ( i've read the switch problem is over hyped, but still). Anyways they're all great bikes. I live in Ohio, so looking for something that can be great on the tight, rooty, midwest style of terrain. Not a racer but i do like to get on the gas, and catch a little air here and there. Demo's hard to come in my area, other than the big 3. But did get a demo last year on the T429, size L. At just a little under 6'1" that bike felt short, would probably size up to Xl. But really liked the feel of the DW.

That leads me to my hesitation on the Ranger...I really like the looks of the geo, not too extreme. i think it would be great for my area. But I don't know much about the CBH suspension. Does it have a good peddling platform, is it a good climber? Does it have good support to accelerate out of corners? I don't want to hassle with lockouts. I've read about the Rascal, but that's a different horse for a different course. Curious about the shock tune for the Ranger. Very tempted to put in a pre order. Ohh the dilemmas!!
    Just going to cut and paste my response to someone in the the Rascal thread:
    I've had a Canfield Riot and a Ripley V1, LS and V4.
    Love the Riot but more bike than I needed. Loved my Ripley's except the V4.
    I already posted a thread about the Ranger, but 99% sure that's me next bike. Even before selling my Riot I with others always wished the Brothers came out with a shorter travel version of the Riot. The Ranger is exactly what I want except for the under BB routing. I guess I'll have to get over that.

Not discounting Ibis's DW link, I prefer it to other bikes I've had except for CBF of the Riot.

FYI I'm riding the same types of trail here in MD/VA area.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    TwoTone that's good information. Based on your experience with CBH, DW and other bikes and also riding the same type of trail as I, leads me to believe i'm on the right track with the Ranger. There a lot to like about it. I guess worse case, they have a great return policy if it really came to that. But i doubt it would.

Trying to make a bike purchase decision based solely off of internet information can be so confusing. I really appreciate the mtbr discussion boards, a great source of info and experience.

Now for the Ranger... probably GX build, maybe upgrade suspension and wheels. I do really like that XO1 build, but ohhh the moneyyy!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    My pivot has similar under-the-bb routing for the derailleur, then it reconnects into the rear triangle. Never think about it. It just works.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    My pivot has similar under-the-bb routing for the derailleur, then it reconnects into the rear triangle. Never think about it. It just works.
    While I've never had an issue I'd read of people having damaged lines. I've also read about lines that get pulled through the frame as suspension compresses.

For me it's just a useless mud catcher. Had under the BB on my SJ and mud mixed with leaves in the fall was a hassle. SJ was even worse because the lines ran down the bottom of the down tube.

Love my Ripleys, don't like the brake line routing even though they don't go under the BB.

It's a personal preference, I feel there are much cleaner ways to route cables. Just like I think internal rear brake line is stupid.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    been on the Rascal since early Spring... all I can say is Hot Damn! The CBF suspension is 110% legit. Best climbing FS yet on the loose, rocky, rooty techy climbs... it just flows over everything without that hangup feeling I had on 4 bar rear ends. Betting they kill it with the Ranger, perfect XC weapon for the rider who's looking for a 100-120mm setup...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The Revel kinematics is DW link sus, like IBIS and others. The rear triangle is controlled by two co-rotating links with the vp in front of and just above the BB. Of course, that said, the devil is in the details.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The Revel kinematics is DW link sus, like IBIS and others. The rear triangle is controlled by two co-rotating links with the vp in front of and just above the BB. Of course, that said, the devil is in the details.
    CBF isn't DW Link.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Every DW link bike I've ridden has some hang up climbing tech. Turner was the least. CBF doesn't unless you try running a really small front ring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I was thinking it's a WD design (as in Walt Disney)....because it's effing Magical !!

Well, I'm hoping anyways because I just put money down on a pre order. Went with a Large Green GX with upgraded suspension to Ultimate (does that mean it goes to 11?) and upgraded wheels to the
    RW30s with the hydras. No regrets

So many great bike out there, choosing is difficult. But I feel this is what I'm looking for and will suit my riding area well. But let me tell you, there's nothing like dropping a few thousand on a bike I've never ridden to get the adrenaline going. Whewww

mtbr member
    But let me tell you, there's nothing like dropping a few thousand on a bike I've never ridden to get the adrenaline going. Whewww
    I feel the same way, but they do offer a 30 day money back program, just in case.

Elitest thrill junkie
    They have very similar anti-squat properties to Canfield, which in turn is very similar to DW Delta/Single Pivot with AS a little over 100%, sloping down, but not nearly as much as a horst-link, so in mid-travel they shouldn't bog bad when pedaling.

These should get most, but not all of the benefits of something closer to DW, but these days Yeti, Intense, SC and many others are using kinematics that replicate the AS of DW, around 100% through most of the travel and then dropping off, I'd say shock tunes and leverage ratios on these bikes have a lot more to do with it. The difference with a good coil shock on my DW link is night and day, vs. the often ill-suited shocks and tunes that tend to come on bikes. The one on the Revel may just be a little better suited for the kinematics.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Yeah, they have a great return policy, that is reassuring. But I don't think it will come to that. Although my opinion is solely based on information and reviews from internet searching, I think those guys at Revel are putting together something special. Between their unique carbon layup to utilizing Canfield's CBF suspension design. I have high hopes this is going to be a great bike.

mtbr member
    One thing I don't see in the Revel Ranger discussions are the questions about over-forking the Ranger. With 115mm in back (just 5mm less than the Ripley V4) it seems like a 130mm fork would be a pretty natural fit.

Thoughts?
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I believe a 130 fork would be perfectly acceptable. On Revel's site under Geometry and Sizing they make mention of using a 130 fork. Also a review of the Ranger by Worldwide Cyclery mentions that you could overfork to a 130 and that would get you closer to a 66 degree headtube angle. But they did not test it.

I put in a pre order for a complete build, a 130 fork option isn't available, I might have opted for it if were. Maybe down the rode I may swap it out. But so far all the reviews I've seen on the Sid 120 are very good...looks to be a very capable fork.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...ing-29er-video

mtbr member
    I believe a 130 fork would be perfectly acceptable. On Revel's site under Geometry and Sizing they make mention of using a 130 fork. Also a review of the Ranger by Worldwide Cyclery mentions that you could overfork to a 130 and that would get you closer to a 66 degree headtube angle. But they did not test it.

I put in a pre order for a complete build, a 130 fork option isn't available, I might have opted for it if were. Maybe down the rode I may swap it out. But so far all the reviews I've seen on the Sid 120 are very good...looks to be a very capable fork.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...ing-29er-video
    Thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't seen that video.
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    CBF isn't DW Link.
    I think it is. It's got a solid rear triangle that articulates about two co-roating links, a short nearly horizontal one above the BB and a more nearly vertical one above that. The rear triangle has an extra kink in the chain stay for the connection to the shock yoke, but that does not affect the kinematics. It does effect the shock leverage ratio. Different DW Link suspensions attach to and locate the shock differently, but the rear triangle kinematics work the same. Of course the angles, lengths and attachment points of those two rear triangle links do affect suspension behavior.

Why do you think it's not?
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think it is. It's got a solid rear triangle that articulates about two co-roating links, a short nearly horizontal one above the BB and a more nearly vertical one above that. The rear triangle has an extra kink in the chain stay for the connection to the shock yoke, but that does not affect the kinematics. It does effect the shock leverage ratio. Different DW Link suspensions attach to and locate the shock differently, but the rear triangle kinematics work the same. Of course the angles, lengths and attachment points of those two rear triangle links do affect suspension behavior.

Because it's not, really that simple.

https://canfieldbikes.com/pages/cbf-suspension
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Is an oval chainring the same as a round one? One could argue it is because it is round in nature. But technically no, it's not the same. The round chainring is a great engineering design. But an engineer took that basic design and thought I can make it better... and behold the Oval chaining was created. It's easy to see the similarities between the two. Is one better than the other? well that could be it's own thread.

That leads me to the DW suspension, it's a great engineering design. It has influenced an idustry. Is the CBF a DW design? Technically no. But its easy to see the similarities.

About half way down the article Revel is mentioned.
    https://www.velonews.com/gear/mounta...ations-abound/

Now going back under my rock

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Im interested to see more reports on the SID120 that they spec with it. It seems like a somewhat rowdyish bike based on big tires and brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Im interested to see more reports on the SID120 that they spec with it. It seems like a somewhat rowdyish bike based on big tires and brakes.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/2021-rocks...n-north-shore/

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    That article reads like it was written by someone stuck in 2014.

Death from Below.

Elitest thrill junkie

Because a DW profile starts with a lot more AS below the sag point, and it drops off to a lot less AS after about 2/3 of travel. Theoretically, that helps to pull the wheel back down for negative bumps and traction when less than the sag point and less deep-travel harshness on big repetitive hits. Those "benefits" will be very subtle though because the mid-stroke is where most everything happens. The canfield/revel suspension maintains a fairly constant falling rate of AS from the beginning of travel to the end, a much "flatter" profile, one that is replicated in several single-pivot bikes. In short, they are different. DW definitely defines his DW Link (not to be confused with delta/split pivot) suspension as something other than a constant (straight line) decreasing AS profile.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Because a DW profile starts with a lot more AS below the sag point, and it drops off to a lot less AS after about 2/3 of travel. Theoretically, that helps to pull the wheel back down for negative bumps and traction when less than the sag point and less deep-travel harshness on big repetitive hits. Those "benefits" will be very subtle though because the mid-stroke is where most everything happens. The canfield/revel suspension maintains a fairly constant falling rate of AS from the beginning of travel to the end, a much "flatter" profile, one that is replicated in several single-pivot bikes. In short, they are different. DW definitely defines his DW Link (not to be confused with delta/split pivot) suspension as something other than a constant (straight line) decreasing AS profile.
    I trust you with all the AS numbers and such but it has always been my understanding that the most fundamental definition of a DW link is a solid rear triangle connected to the front end using two links that rotate in the same direction as opposed to a VPP that uses a solid rear triangle that is connected to the front end with two links that rotate in opposite directions. How the frame designer arranges the pieces and parts of each to effect AS, etc. are just variations to the kinematics.

mtbr member
    Where is this bike made? Where are the guts from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Has anyone who's ordered a Ranger frame gotten any guidance from Revel yet on dropper post length requirements? They have a link to a "guide", but it has numbers only for the Rascal and Rail frames - and how it's organized and written is a bit arcane.

I need minimum and maximum insertion lengths within the seat tube of a medium Ranger frame... for starters.

Update: I just got messaged from someone at Revel that wrote:

"you
    can put a seat post into a medium Ranger 265mm (with the posts collar at the seat collar 265mm down) and maximum extension out of the seat tube depends on the seat post being used."
    Last edited by A. Rider; 4 Days Ago at 09:50 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    I trust you with all the AS numbers and such but it has always been my understanding that the most fundamental definition of a DW link is a solid rear triangle connected to the front end using two links that rotate in the same direction as opposed to a VPP that uses a solid rear triangle that is connected to the front end with two links that rotate in opposite directions. How the frame designer arranges the pieces and parts of each to effect AS, etc. are just variations to the kinematics.
    Nope, the kinematics ARE the DW link, it's the specific shape of the curve, not just that the links rotate in whatever direction or that it's a "mini-link" bike.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Is anyone 5'4 riding this bike? My girlfriend might want one. Or the spur or trail pistol/a. We need to find her a a small 29 trail bike. She has an Altitude and doesn't want 27.5 anymore or that much travel. The spur is a huge bike, she is not huge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Has anyone who ordered received an update on timing from Revel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by APDuncan27 View Post
    Has anyone who ordered received an update on timing from Revel?
    I ordered a Ranger frame and SID fork Sunday, July 5th, and got an email the next day with an invoice indicating shipment on September 8th.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    I ordered a Ranger frame and SID fork Sunday, July 5th, and got an email the next day with an invoice indicating shipment on September 8th.
    I ordered mine yesterday, got an update today (after I posted this), saying they are back ordered until late August. I'm not in a huge rush so not a big deal. I'm guessing "late August" really means late September, I have worked for several manufacturers (not in MTB) and you can usually count on 1-3 months further delayed than what is communicated. I don't think that is anyone being dishonest, just people in the company being overly optimistic.

mtbr member
    The Rascal and Ranger make me wonder if Canfield Bikes will release a Riot successor. Went from a Yelli Screamy to a Riot this year, and am blown away. Like all those posts years ago, a carbon Riot was the next step, but does the Rascal make that a moot point? The Ranger is a nice option for a bit less travel, I guess that would be a Riot ST?
    2017 Canfield Brothers Riot
    2012 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba

mtbr member

Revel Ranger

The Canfield Riot was one of my favorite bikes. Super fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm over carbon, so I'd take an AL Canfield over the Ranger.

That said, they haven't said anything about the Riot replacement and I seriously doubt based on the kind of bikes they make that a ST 29er is anywhere close to coming from them. I'm confident a Riot replacement is coming, just not something like the Ranger.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'm over carbon, so I'd take an AL Canfield over the Ranger.

That said, they haven't said anything about the Riot replacement and I seriously doubt based on the kind of bikes they make that a ST 29er is anywhere close to coming from them. I'm confident a Riot replacement is coming, just not something like the Ranger.
    Agreed, I think a FS 29er from Canfield would be at least 140 f/r. The Riot is way more bike than I need for what I ride, but it's still so good. These Revel offerings, the Ranger included, are all attractive options if I were in the market. Not sure I'd ever drop more than a few grand for a bike though. Maybe get one used in a few years. Or go weight weenie on the Riot maybe? Nah.
    2017 Canfield Brothers Riot
    2012 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba