Retrotec, A Bedroom Ornament No Longer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Retrotec, A Bedroom Ornament No Longer

almost 12 months after swapping a wad of foreign currency for a large triangle shaped package with a very tall man in a hotel room in San Francisco, the lovely curvy orange bike has finally been finished and has had to leave the comfort and warmth of my side of the bed and take up residence with the other boys in the garage. Harsh i know but it is unseasonably warm here in the UK at the moment so it won't be too much of a shock for it.

Its been a lengthy process that has had its ups and downs but i think it has made us both stronger but a bit poorer. Its my first ever build project and i'm really pleased with the way it has turned out. i would have liked Phil hubs but ebay wouldn't green light the sale of my kidney to go the extra but everything else is pretty much how i envisaged it to be.

Have only ridden the distance home from work at the moment and it feels really nippy and alive though i felt a little self conscious Can't wait for the weekend now to play in those big hills of the New Forest!

Thanks to Curtis and Mitzi for a work of art you don't mind getting dirty and taking us for cosmopolitans and a top steak tea, the guys at rock n road in southampton for the advice and build up, Marie for humouring my obsessive tendencies and dragging her round Californian bike shops on our honeymoon and to our new born Pheobe Rose for sacrificing a good start in life so daddy could finish his project! and Wilkinson Sword for supplying the novelty garden fork bike stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You're gonna love it, no doubt! The grips are a nice touch. Do you all call that color combo "Dreamsicle" like we do in the States? Only way to pimp it that I can see would be to employ Francois' trick and paint behind the HT badge with some matching orange. Nice bike!
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

try driving your car less
    congrats! now go nuts riding it.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You Brits have such a lovely way with words. Excellent post, nice looking pitch fork, and hopefully Phoebe Rose will marry a rich man!

Oh and the bike? Awesome!

mtbr member
    Do you all call that color combo "Dreamsicle" like we do in the States? Only way to pimp it that I can see would be to employ Francois' trick and paint behind the HT badge with some matching orange.

yeah i've seen that but why is it called dreamsicle?, it seems to be a really popular colour combination.i chose the colour to match the colour of my gt Kustom Kruiser and Vespa. just need to find a classic car to spray the same colour for the matching set. Only saw the head badge finishing after mine was completed, i agree its a really nice touch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    You Brits have such a lovely way with words. Excellent post, nice looking pitch fork, and hopefully Phoebe Rose will marry a rich man!

Oh and the bike? Awesome!
    i'll be holding interviews for prospective future spouses in due course, any US appliations will be treated favourably so her lovely parents can possibly emigrate or at least have some choice holidays.

No longer 26
    I love my big company frame 29ers (GF). But a modern geometry retrotec 29er painted to match up with the Schwinn Typhoon (license sticker says 1969 on it) hanging in my grandpas barn waiting for me to clean up would be a dream for me.

Many (most) of the custom frames that I see on these boards make me drool. However, Retrotec frames like yours make me want a custom bike just like it more than any other.

Nice build, nice bike and congrats on your family.

Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I love my big company frame 29ers (GF). But a modern geometry retrotec 29er painted to match up with the Schwinn Typhoon (license sticker says 1969 on it) hanging in my grandpas barn waiting for me to clean up would be a dream for me.
    that would be a very nice thing to do and a great tribute to notalgia and your grandpa. Your going to have to do it now.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by rowley
    that would be a very nice thing to do and a great tribute to notalgia and your grandpa. Your going to have to do it now.
    Oh Yeah, The brain gears are a turnin'

He also has an old metal runner sled hanging with it that my grandpa and I refurbished when I was a kid. Instead of flexy flier on it it says Adolph's Flyer (grandpa's name) courtesy of my youthful lettering skills. I forgot we had done it (30 years ago ). That is getting hung up as well!

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Powered by ice cream.
    Gorgeous. Looks too pretty to thrash.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    It was a frozen treat many of us grew up with,consisting of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream on a stick, very much the color of your bike. Reminds me of summer... And BTW, congrats on the new girl. I've got one of my own, but she's a Klondike Bar fan.

yeah i've seen that but why is it called dreamsicle?
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

You Are What You Is
    Great looking bike! I have that same seat on my Wily. I also have a similar pair of grips that I just bought (without the floral print), but they're a b!tch to put on. Did you have any problems with yours?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Great looking bike! I have that same seat on my Wily. I also have a similar pair of grips that I just bought (without the floral print), but they're a b!tch to put on. Did you have any problems with yours?
    the guy at the shop did apparently, i think he said he ended up glueing them on in some way they are nirve cruiser grips. the saddle is actually quite comfortable despite how it looks isn't it.

You Are What You Is
    Yeah, the seat isn't bad at all. It has just enough flex in it. And it's got a cool retro-yet-modern look. Mine actually has rivets instead of the stitching for even more of a retro feel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Mine actually has rivets instead of the stitching for even more of a retro feel.
    thats the one i thought i was going to get when i ordered mine, i didn't know they had changed it to contrast stitching.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's one lovely bike. I can never post pictures of my own now......

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Yup. You will love it. However I had the same seat on my bike for almost a year and couldn't take it any more. OUCH!!!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That, sir, is a very nice bike.

That's all I have to say.

Rob
    Anyone can put a sausage on a barbeque, the skill is in knowing when to take it off.

" You don't win friends with salad" (Homer Simpson)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'll be holding interviews for prospective future spouses in due course, any US appliations will be treated favourably so her lovely parents can possibly emigrate or at least have some choice holidays.
    I must warn you - our trails are great, we get a lot of nice fruit year round, and from out of nowhere our choices in beer have grown to world class levels - but please be forwarned: our population may offer many opportunities for matrimony, but that does not necessairily mean it's acceptable for reproduction. Consider finding a willing and able Brit for clandestine birthing purposes.

For 10 posts, Rowley, you are a classic mtbr.com poster.

I ride a Swarf
    mmmmmm retrotec

very nice looking bike. If were in the market for a new bike, retrotec would be on the list.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Very nice! Where did you find the grips?
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Rowley...

Nice looking bike.

Here's a tip for you...

The red adjusters on your Juicy's are prone to get damaged in an endo. However, if you switch them to the bottom side of the lever assemblies, they won't get broken in a crash.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    http://www.nirve.com/parts.asp?cid=3006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Nice looking bike.

Here's a tip for you...

The red adjusters on your Juicy's are prone to get damaged in an endo. However, if you switch them to the bottom side of the lever assemblies, they won't get broken in a crash.

R.
    aaaah! thats a good idea, they do seem a bit vulnerable where they are. i dont seem to have had a stack in ages though i'm not sure if thats whether i'm doing something right or wrong!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    i bought them in a shop on main street in santa barbara last year but nirve.com have some and other ones with tribal designs or just plain. Hope the stitching holds together though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am actually thinking about starting a Curtis Inglis fan club!
    The man builds MAD bikes and has a wicked sense of humor...

Who else would put a girls basket on the front of a tandem while racing?

Too funny!

DW

Jun 2006
    Great to see that we brits are building cool bikes. It will really stand out on the trails over here. Top job!

Jun 2006
    Great to see people putting together really cool bikes over here in the UK. Nice bike!

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by NAHBS
    I am actually thinking about starting a Curtis Inglis fan club!
    The man builds MAD bikes and has a wicked sense of humor...

Who else would put a girls basket on the front of a tandem while racing?

Too funny!

DW
    That tandem is great...looks fantastic...even with the basket.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    It was a frozen treat many of us grew up with,consisting of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream on a stick, very much the color of your bike. Reminds me of summer... And BTW, congrats on the new girl. I've got one of my own, but she's a Klondike Bar fan.
    sounds very nice. we didn't have anything like that over here am also in the dark on Klondike Bars. Thanks for congratulations, do you know what age you can take babies/children out in seats or trailers on bikes?!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I think our girl was about 3 when we first started dragging her around in the trailer - can't remember exactly. There have been a number of threads on that subject, and it appears the primary concern is that the kid has adequate strength in her neck to keep that oversized toddler noggin from flopping around. Do a search and you'll come up with lots of opinions.
    - Joe

Thanks for congratulations, do you know what age you can take babies/children out in seats or trailers on bikes?!

mtbr member
    A truly unique ride you have there. Curtis' work is impressive.

I know the feeling, my Retrotec Triple frame is still sitting pretty in the box since it arrived last October.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member
    I know the feeling, my Retrotec Triple frame is still sitting pretty in the box since it arrived last October.[/QUOTE]

Cheers! i think if i hadn't opted to go the single speed route it would probably still not have been finished. it didn't help the fact that i bought a san jose initially for commuting but then loving it so much using it for everything thus lessening the urgency to finish the retrotec.
    good luck with your future build. the quicker you do it the quicker you can start the next project!!!

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    the tandem rips! you can't understand until you're next to it on a ride or until you're on the back! it's some of the scariest and also the most fun riding ever. curtis is a really skilled pilot, that bike conquers mind-boggling terrain....

Members who have read this thread: 0