Reservoir shock on a Big mama- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Reservoir shock on a Big mama

Any body been able to fit a shock with a reservoir on a Big Mama? I'm looking at making the switch to coil and the only affordable coil shock w/o a reservoir is the Manitou Metel R, but they're out of stock for a while, so my next step would be an Metel RP, which has a reservoir. Any thoughts?

Flow

my experience

I picked up a used 7.5X2 dhx air 5.0 for another bike. Since the eye to eye was the same as the big mama's stock rp2 I held it up to the big mama to see if it would fit. It did not look like the reservoir would clear the frame in any orientation (but it was close), although I did not actually try to mount the shock. If the reservoir was oriented so it was up and towards the front of the bike it would fit but as the shock compressed I am pretty sure it would strike the downtube. Of course, the fox dhx air may not be exactly the same size as the manitou shock you are looking at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    hermes475 - thanks for the info. I found a deal on a Manitou Swinger x4 and based on the "eyeball" test, at worst it looks like the shock will barely fit (1-2mm of clearance). It's at the shop right now, I'll post back when the bike's done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bike shop is almost done. Ordered the top bushing, but didn't get the right bottom bushing. I asked them to do a final fit check for me so I can return it if it doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkraemer
    Bike shop is almost done. Ordered the top bushing, but didn't get the right bottom bushing. I asked them to do a final fit check for me so I can return it if it doesn't fit.

Very interestrd in how it works out for you alex. I'm considering the same...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had the LBS do a fit check today to confirm that the spring and reservoir would both clear and they said yes! The lower bushing is on back-order, but if the lead time is too long, I can take a spare upper bushing and enlarge the hole as a temporary work around. My big mama has been at the shop since before thanksgiving - I miss her!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My LBS called Manitou directly and ordered the lower bushing (those kids just earned themselves a 6-pack!) so either end of this week or beginning of next week I'll have the bike back. This wait is killing me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No go! Sad day indeed LBS just got in the lower bushing and the reservoir just barely doesn't clear, so no Manitou Swinger for me. I'll wait for Manitou to get the Metel's back in stock in early 2011.

Members who have read this thread: 0