Regression- Mtbr.com

Thread: Regression

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Regression

Its true that things eventually end up going full circle. I have been searching for a while now to purchase a 29er but, like a lot of people presently i don't have a lot of money to spend. For the past 2yrs I have been spoiled. First with my specialized 06 enduro, then with my 08 Spec SJ. Yesterday that all changed. I picked up a used redline monocog. ridgid ss 29 non disc brakes. Took it for its maiden voyage on the same day. It is not love at first(sight) ride. More like an ex girl friend that you know you can mess around with anytime you want and not care about hurting her feelings or having to spend money on her!! The lack of suspension is going to take a lot of getting used to. I am considering getting a reba 80 or 100. I am also gonna change out the brakes to disc asap. I am so used to using 1 finger to slow down. One the plus side she accelerates like a sports car, climbs like a goat and as long as te corners are smooth my 26 cant touch it. I am in need of some help though. After i rode it hard at the trail I noticed that every time the cranks got to a certain point it became hareder to pedal. After it passed that point it would go back to normal again. I removed the chain to check for any tight links and could not find any. I spun the cranks with the chain removed and it seemed fine. I checked the rear cog with the chain removed and it seemed fine. When I put the chain back on the same thing happened again. There is also a noise coming from the rear cog area as well, but only when the chain is on. Any suggestions on how to fix it??
    Thanks Ben

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    sounds like a slight tight spot in the chain tension. might be hard to get rid of but it's probably due to your front ring not being 100% round.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    sounds like a slight tight spot in the chain tension. might be hard to get rid of but it's probably due to your front ring not being 100% round.
    Yep, it's either that the ring isn't perfectly round or that it's bolted on slightly off-center. I had the same problem with my '07 Monocog. As expected for a bike in this price range, the cranks/chainring aren't the best quality.

With the chain tensioned properly, try loosening the chainring bolts slightly (tight enough to keep tension on the ring, but loose enough to move it with a slight force), rotate the drivetrain a couple of times and watch to see if the problem gets better, then tighten them back up slowly in a crisscross pattern. This might help some, but if it's still outta whack, you might try another brand of chainring. Mine got much better (although still not perfect) after switching to a Surly SS ring. The trick is to get it close, then just run the chain loose enough to make up for those tight spots. If you feel any resistance when freewheeling it, reduce the chain tension.

One other thing... Be sure to check the crank arm bolts regularly. I wasted the left arm in short order because the bolt came loose and I didn't realize it until it was too late.

Other than that, enjoy enjoy your new ride. Mine is the most fun bike to ride out of my entire fleet.

never ender
    Oh...you're talking about bikes. Thought you meant . Guess I need to get a life.

I'd take the ring off, grease the bolts and surfaces, then crank it back down. Also check to make sure your back wheel is straight in the dropouts...if the wheel is crooked then so's the cog, which can throw the chain off.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 06whitetaco
    More like an ex girl friend that you know you can mess around with anytime you want and not care about hurting her feelings or having to spend money on her!!
    rofl

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You need to loosen your chain a tiny bit. Even a $40 chainring is not perfectly round and there will be a spot where it's tighter than everywhere else. Pedal the bike and find the tight spot in the chain, keep it there and then adjust the chain tension accordingly.

err, 27.5+
    Ex girlfriends and rigid mountain bikes are not a universal joy. Depending on where you ride a rigid bike is downright brutal. It is a trend right now to get a rigid single speed 29er. Personally I wouldn't go there unless I have some nice smooth trails to cherry pick with it. No point in riding it unless it is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Members who have read this thread: 0