Reducing the weight of an X-Caliper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reducing the weight of an X-Caliper

It looks like I will be getting a medium X Caliper sometime. I already plan on taking the parts I have sitting around from my last geared bike, a XT 760 cranks, X9 shifters and derailuer, and putting them on the X-Cal. Where would be the next place to look to reduce the weight. I am thinking wheels primarily. I am toying with going nuts and buying a nice high end set of somthing for it. I had though of going for a Paragon but really want to stay away from those hydro brakes.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    It looks like I will be getting a medium X Caliper sometime. I already plan on taking the parts I have sitting around from my last geared bike, a XT 760 cranks, X9 shifters and derailuer, and putting them on the X-Cal. Where would be the next place to look to reduce the weight. I am thinking wheels primarily. I am toying with going nuts and buying a nice high end set of somthing for it. I had though of going for a Paragon but really want to stay away from those hydro brakes.
    for the money, i would get the paragon to begin with...worth it for the wheels along, not to mention the parts, shifters, drivetrain, etc.etc..just sell what you don't want...they're what, 250 apart in retail?
    FS: Everything

Recovering couch patato
    Tubes, Grips and seat, that's about a pound right there.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

weighty issues

if you are concerned with weight, you don't want the Avid mechs. They are a great brake, but a good deal heavier than the hydros on the paragon. Lose the saddle, seatpost, bar and stem for some good weight savings on both bikes. You will lose some weight by going with a nicer wheelset, but almost all the weight will end up being in the hubs, thus not rotational weight.
    The mustang-esque rims are actually a good strength/width to weight ratio.

SALSAFIED endurance racer

X Caliber

I'm going to rebuild my X-Cal and my goal is under 10500 gramms with gears - I'm waiting for my white brothers fork if it's here I'll post pictures and I'll weigh it and post all the parts !!!
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!