Redline rigid steel frame vs. Redline rigid Al frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Redline rigid steel frame vs. Redline rigid Al frame?

I have a very early Redline 29 monocog steel frame single speed. I bought it when they first came out, it was very hard to find, and cost $399. It was the first brand new bike I have ever had, at age 45. This is arguably my favorite bike.

I keep it at work, and am fortunate enough to be able to go for a 1 hour jam for lunch on many days.

I have always been intrigued by the Redline aluminum frame single speed bikes , (which cost a LOT more than $399 now).

Can anybody compare the "ride" of the aluminum to the steel? I am talking SS, solid forks.

After building a China carbon 29 FS and a Diamondback Al 29 FS for my "weekend trips", I am revisiting my Redline. It seems almost "annoying" because of the jittery ride. I can't go any lower than about 33 pounds in the tires to prevent pinch flats and dented rims, I can't find a carbon seat post in a 26.8 which would help, and I don't want to add forks because that would be blaspehemous.

So I am looking at buying a Redline aluminum SS frame, in keeping with my theme of being partial to Redline. because that's my favorite BMX bike I had, in a great time of my life.

Any input as to comparative qualities would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Redline rigid steel frame vs. Redline rigid Al frame?-1976-redline.jpg  

Redline rigid steel frame vs. Redline rigid Al frame?-redline29.jpg  

mtbr member
    I was not aware Redline started offering a singlespeed aluminum 29er. I have yet to ride an aluminum Redline but I have spent plenty of time between my Monocog and Gary Fisher Paragon hardtail aluminum frame. As you would expect, the aluminum hardtail is a much stiffer frame in comparison to the steel Monocog.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    I was not aware Redline started offering a singlespeed aluminum 29er. I have yet to ride an aluminum Redline but I have spent plenty of time between my Monocog and Gary Fisher Paragon hardtail aluminum frame. As you would expect, the aluminum hardtail is a much stiffer frame in comparison to the steel Monocog.
    I don't think they have an aluminum SS, but I was hoping to find a frame. To make it even more complicated, I believe there are two distinctively different steel Redline frames, the "Sanko" double butted frame/fork and the "No Name" straight gauge 4130 which is the only one they made back then so that's what I ended up with.

Apr 2007
    ALuminum is usually more "jittery." so I'd suggest sticking with your current frame and doing the following:

- Switch to ghetto tubeless (split tube method) and maybe bigger tires (Panaracer Rampage, Schwalbe RR, Ardent, etc), then lower pressure.
    - Get some ESI Chunky grips.
    - Get a thudbuster, if the stock seat post is too harsh.

I've had Monocogs, Monocog Flights, and various other steel and aluminum hard tails. They pretty much all ride like hard tails. Biggest difference among the bikes was tires, wheels, and grips.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There's no Redline aluminum singlespeed except for the older 26er monocog flights I think. The aluminum ones are all geared. I have a D660 and it rides fine but it is older and they have changed the frame since my 08. I do use it ss sometimes, but with a tensioner.

On a road bike I can sort of feel the difference between a flexible frame and a very rigid one but it is subtle. On a cross bike it is even more minimal. On a mountain bike I think the differences are dwarfed by many other factors.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the input. I think I will try to find a Sanko butted 4130 15" Redline frame, but I know other people are looking for them too. I like the horizontal dropouts, because I drag the tire right up to the seat post. I never put this bike in a trunk, so a QR rear wheel doesn't matter.

I will also take the advice on the tires. I have a WTB exiwolf rear and a weirwolf front, but I can maybe put the weirwolf on the back and I have an extra Panaracer fatty for the front. I've never tried ghetto tubeless, so what the heck. I have a goats head flat right now anyways.

Thanks again. I did also get a slightly more padded seat to try
    Last edited by squareback; 12-29-2011 at 11:06 AM.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just don't get a green one, or an early model blue one (08 and 09 I think). While those are the best colors, unfortunately their head tubes liked to fall off.
    - Simon

Pedal Pusher
    May 2009
    you know that for about 400 you could probably pick up a higher quality and lighter wight steel frame, something like a niner mcr and they would be a little softer of a ride too, albeit more flex, but still, might be worth a shot