Redline MonoCog Flight - Haro Mary - Kona Unit- Mtbr.com
    KS1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Redline MonoCog Flight - Haro Mary - Kona Unit

Sorry if this has been discussed a million times, but I want to pick up a SS before spring and as the title states these are the three I have narrowed it down to (looking for disc, steel & rigid are the requirements). I have been reading all threads on here for weeks and still can not make up my mind. The Haro is in stock (can demo ride it) and the other two would have to be ordered with 50% deposit (no ride until they come in). I need any info or input that you might have please (good,bad,indifferent). I dont want to buy anything used. Here is there current order.

1.) 2011 Redline MonoCog Flight 29 (Matte Black/Red) $900
    2.) 2010 Haro Mary 29 (Gloss Black/Purple) $600
    3.) 2011 Kona Unit 29 (White/Black) $800

I am currently on a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29 (geared) and want the SS just for fun.

Thanks in advance
    10' Haro Mary SS 29
    09' Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29
    94' Cannondale Super V900 (R.I.P.)
    92' Nishiki Cascade (R.I.P.)

KS1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    sorry posted in wrong forum (newbie)
    10' Haro Mary SS 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just been down the same path. I'm in Australia, and pricing is a little dearer over here. I test rode the Redline and Kona from the same store, which made comparing easy. The Mary is a little harder to come by here. I ended up buying the Kona. I couldn't justify the price difference that, the Redline was that much better.
    The Kona was a few grams lighter as well. I've only had mine 2 days, and the weight is already down to 24.5lb. My aim is 22lbs.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a flight and I like it a lot. Its held up well. I don't know about the other two on your list.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KS1
    Sorry if this has been discussed a million times, but I want to pick up a SS before spring and as the title states these are the three I have narrowed it down to (looking for disc, steel & rigid are the requirements). I have been reading all threads on here for weeks and still can not make up my mind. The Haro is in stock (can demo ride it) and the other two would have to be ordered with 50% deposit (no ride until they come in). I need any info or input that you might have please (good,bad,indifferent). I dont want to buy anything used. Here is there current order.

I am currently on a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29 (geared) and want the SS just for fun.

Thanks in advance
    Love my Haro Mary....do an advanced search my userid and mary...you'll find a couple threads one similar to this and the Haro specific forum thread that have many replies that should help you. I havn'et ridden the other two options that you listed. I SS sometimes but not my only bike and prefer having geared option on most trails around here due to lots of up down and hard climbs. Loved Mary rigid, but she's been sporting a Reba for quite sometime which is nice too. I need more bikes so I don't have to keep swapping forks around depending on what I want to ride....lol.

Mary has BB5 brakes which suck imo, Kona has BB7 which are excellent. I'm also not a fan of Nevegal slow rolling, heavy and sidewalls could be better.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've had both the Unit and the Flight. Between the two the Kona I thought was a much better bike. It was much smoother and the geometry is the best I have ever ridden. Not to mention that for upgrading the Kona does tend to have a lighter frame (Might have changed) to where you can build about a 21 pound bike without going too crazy.

BWG
    mtbr member
    I know this is not on your short list but I ran across this deal yesterday (Med. and Large). And it fits your criteria:
    https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...1_10000_200516

It's a $700 bike for $399.99 plus $13.99 shipping and $40.00 off with coupon code SINGLE10 - you can have it shipped for $373.98 total.

That leaves a lot of cash for upgrades, if you're interested.
    Last edited by BWG; 01-11-2011 at 04:11 PM.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    I know this is not on your short list but I ran across this deal yesterday (Med. and Large). And it fits your criteria:
    https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...1_10000_200516

It's a $700 bike for $399.99 plus $13.99 shipping and $40.00 off with coupon code SINGLE10 - you can have it shipped for $359.99 total.

That leaves a lot of cash for upgrades, if you're interested.
    Another good option.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

KS1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I picked up a new 2010 Haro Mary for $500 at the LBS. Couldnt beat the deal. It was ordered for somebody and they never picked it up. Was sitting in the back room and they kinda forgot about it.
    10' Haro Mary SS 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KS1

Thanks in advance
    I am riding a 2009 Stumpjumper Comp 29 as well. Do you realize that you can run the Stumpy as a SS with the sliding dropouts? Just checking. Maybe you want to keep it geared and have a SS as a 2nd bike. I want a 2nd bike with gears for a backup, my SS will be my main ride.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    I just bought the regular Monocog 29er for $450. Added BB7s for $150. Love it. Can't see that the Flight is that much better. Good cheap fun. Be aware that the regular Monocog and the Flight are sized differently. Good luck.

KS1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @ cujo, I want to keep the Specialized geared (I did think about it though)
    10' Haro Mary SS 29

Members who have read this thread: 0