Redline Mono9 a good deal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Redline Mono9 a good deal?

I ran across a guy with a 19" Redline Mono9 bike with only 60 miles or so on it. He is an older guy and can't ride anymore. The bike looks brand new and I believe his story based on the oversized gel seat he put on it.

The bike is a rigid steel frame with 1x9 X9 rear derailer. Laserdisk 32H wheels and bb5 disk brakes, originally a $1000 bike. I believe it weighs about 28lbs, not bad for steal.

It seems to be a great deal, however not exactly the bike I was looking for. I am 6'1'' so the frame is likely my size. I've been wanting a front or even a full suspension 29er. The difference is I can afford this bike right now vs. waiting until December to buy a nicer new bike. I suppose I can get this bike and upgrade the fork. and I will have a nice bike for less than $1000 or I could by a nice frame sometime down the line and switch the parts over.
    Last edited by c_trail_biker; 08-14-2010 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just put a really fat tire tubeless and low pressure on the front = suspension. The less parts a bike has the better. You just ride and pay attention to the things you see instead of to your bike. I have a full suspension but am starting to crave a rigid single speed. My bike has been out of commission for a couple weeks and I've become weak and fat in that time.

The 19" frame might be borderline small for you, but if the bars are too low you can put 2" or 3" riser bars on the same stem and rotate them forward a bit for more reach.
    Last edited by esXso; 08-14-2010 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    this is prime biking season...why waste priceless, cool, fresh, breezy fall days? (nmv if you live in california )

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    that bike has been successfully reviewed by the italian version of mbaction; my suggestion is to get it as it is, start using for a while than upgrade first tires (at least 2,2 or 2,3 - in my opinion a good point is wtb exiwolf rear and maxxis advantage 2,4 front both mounted as ust with a tubeless conversion kit) then fork in order to feel the difference the upgrade gives

directionless white male
    Mar 2008
    I love my flight. There are a lot of folks--including the Paul Price--who think the advantages of the 29 inch wheel give a better performance than short travel full susp 26 inch bike. I say jump on the deal, put another 6o miles on it, and if you hate it sell it for fifty less than what you paid. No crime in that.

This is the best review I have found, dude knows nothing about bikes but his own excitement. http://www.examiner.com/bicycle-tran...29er-test-ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm going to take another look at it and give it a quick ride.
    Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the '08 version of the Mono9 (D460). I found a deal on a new one this year. Only modification I have made is converting the tires to tubeless with Stans rimstrips - running at a low pressure does take the edge off. I am considering front suspension as it can be jackhammerish on some downhills. I also have a GF X-Caliber and I now ride the D460 almost exclusively. I would recommend it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got it! Took the bar ends, the rack, and the giant gel seat off and I'm going riding today. Thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Excellent choice!

Post up some pictures when you get a chance.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here a couple of pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Redline Mono9 a good deal?-redline1.jpg  

Redline Mono9 a good deal?-redline2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Try a Racing Ralph 2.4 on the front

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by esXso
    Try a Racing Ralph 2.4 on the front

I finally got to ride the bike on some fast single track. Love it! Cleaned a few sections that I normally stall out on. I think I might keep it rigid, my arms did not get tired at all after a 10 mile ride. I'll definitely check out the racing ralphs if I keep it rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice find!

I have a mono9 that I'm running a 100mm +47 offset fork on and love the bike. Frame has the same geometry as the Flight. Got mine as a bare frame and built it up for the beginning of last year. My 26er hasn't seen the light of day yet this year (I know, shame!). I ride with a buddy that has a regular monocog (rigid, SS) and he rides everything I do...just get some high-volume tires and play around with the tire pressure.

Last edited by jcaino; 08-28-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: picture
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Members who have read this thread: 0