Recovering from ACL- Doc says no biking, what to do? 29er Training wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Recovering from ACL- Doc says no biking, what to do? 29er Training wheels?

Seriously. My 15 year just got into single speed mountain biking last year, and loves it. He tore his ACL in a hockey injury in March, with surgery in April. Now the doc says he does not want him on a bike for 6 months due to the unstableness of it, and if he has to use his leg, it may twist and cause complications.

I offered up hooking his bike up to a trainer of some sort, but he says that will be too boring. He wants to be outdoors, even if it is on pavement for now. Any ideas- training wheels, BMX style sidehack, or trike?

mtbr member
    Get a new orthopedist!!!

On a serious note , Did your son have his ACL reconstructed? What else was done in addition? Most Ortho docs will want you to ride bikes (on the road of course initially). It is a great exercise for strengthening the knee w ACL repair . Straightline movement no twisting and low impact. I would ask why the ortho doc thinks it is unstable. I t should be nice and stable right now more than 1 month out of surgery. Is your son doing regular Phy therapy? That is going to be harder than riding a bike and the stabilty of the knee and his overall balance are going to skyrocket.
    BTW I tore ACL in Jan 2010 was on the road bike by March and riding my SSpd mtb in Moab (easy trails ) Klondike Bluffs/gemeni bridges in late april/May.

Good luck
    Walt

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    All Ortho's have different protocols. The repair can be at it's weakest at weeks 6-8 due to the revascularization of the repair. Listen to the MD. Sure in therapy he will be on a bike, a recumbent bike preferably with proper adjustment for allowed Knee flexion. A stationary bike, with no risk of jumping, hopping, wrecking etc lol. Kids are impatient, some don't follow protocol in which some it hampers, and some are lucky enough to get away with it. Be cautious, be careful, take the docs advise. =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The ACL was a total reconstruction. The doctor said that with a total reconstruction and new ligament put in, the bone/body has a higher chance of rejection 5-7 months after the surgery. He does not want him to bike ride because in the event of stopping short, cars if on road, rocks/trees etc., he does not want him to put his foot down and possibly twist the knee. He is currently going to PT 2x week, and does the recumbent bike there.

Quote Originally Posted by petersbike View Post
    Get a new orthopedist!!!

On a serious note , Did your son have his ACL reconstructed? What else was done in addition? Most Ortho docs will want you to ride bikes (on the road of course initially). It is a great exercise for strengthening the knee w ACL repair . Straightline movement no twisting and low impact. I would ask why the ortho doc thinks it is unstable. I t should be nice and stable right now more than 1 month out of surgery. Is your son doing regular Phy therapy? That is going to be harder than riding a bike and the stabilty of the knee and his overall balance are going to skyrocket.
    BTW I tore ACL in Jan 2010 was on the road bike by March and riding my SSpd mtb in Moab (easy trails ) Klondike Bluffs/gemeni bridges in late april/May.

Good luck
    Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spistols View Post
    The ACL was a total reconstruction. The doctor said that with a total reconstruction and new ligament put in, the bone/body has a higher chance of rejection 5-7 months after the surgery. He does not want him to bike ride because in the event of stopping short, cars if on road, rocks/trees etc., he does not want him to put his foot down and possibly twist the knee. He is currently going to PT 2x week, and does the recumbent bike there.
    Yeah I would agree that you need to follow "your" ortho docs protocol. However I think they are being overly cautious and conservative.
    His physical therapy is going to be more stressful and possibly cause more injury than some easy road riding.
    If the acl gets rejected it is going to get rejected (<1 % for cadaver ligaments).
    Speaking from my own experience I had a total reconstruction of ACL w cadaver and no meniscal tears or damage.
    My ortho wanted me on the bike and PT was fairly intense 2-3 weekly and was okay w me getting on the mtn bike way before I was ready.
    At the same time he was an ortho doc up in Aspen ,lots of knees and heavy sports background.
    Did fine , but elsewhere I have heard of very more conservative protocols especially w ortho docs without much sports background.
    Walt

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, worked outpatient Ortho for 2.5yrs. Ortho groups all have different protocols. PT's have different protocols too. Depending on the Pt, type of injury etc. Some will initiate light jogging at 6 wks, others wait to 8-10. In the grand scheme of things, listen to the MD and be careful. No need to blow it and start all over.

mtbr member
    Listen to your doctor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You could go-pro a couple of trail rides, maybe street rides too (past a few girls) and hook it up to the big screen. Riding the trainer in front of that might be more fun.