Recommendations - Epic rides in CA with no snow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Recommendations - Epic rides in CA with no snow

Hi All,

So a bunch of friends and I planned a big trip to Kernville, CA for the last weekend of June. We were looking to do the shuttle ride to the top and the Cannell Plunge. Well, we have gotten record snow fall this year and there is still 8 feet of snow on the road to the top of the ride. Looks like we are postponing the event.

Of course we want to keep the date and do something that weekend. You know how it is, planning with the kids and wives. We all got the pass ...

Any recommendations on epic rides in CA or neighboring states for that weekend? We are all in NorCal, Bay Area, but willing to drive 6-8 hours for a great ride. A shuttle service or ability to shuttle would also be key. Some of us (me) aren't up to climbing 2,500 feet with day jobs

Thanks!
    Mark

Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
    Come on down to San Diego. Camp in the Lagunas and ride Noble Canyon, Big Laguna Trails, and all the other rides in the area. Then drive one hill over and ride the Cuyamaca Loops. Good times. Camp at El Prado campground.
    Obviously, you're not a golfer.

mtbr member
    You can shuttle the Pioneer Trail from Omega Overlook on Hwy. 20 down into Nevada City, which is about 16 miles. There are also some good XC rides along the Yuba River near town (see the ride review section) and some really nice singletrack at Bullard's Bar (shuttle from north end to boat launch on south end), which is about 12 miles up Hwy. 49 towards Downieville. Nearby Auburn also has some great riding near the river confluence. If you are hangin' with the boys, Nevada City is a pretty fun place on Friday/Saturday night. Lots of beer and live music
    Last edited by mwarner57; 05-24-2011 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    P.S. - Pioneer, Bullard's Bar, Auburn (Olmstead Loop) and Yuba River (South Yuba Loop) are listed listed in the "California - All other areas" section of Trail Reviews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Downieville should be clear by then, nothing better than that!
    Enjoy every ride!

banned
    Sep 2007
    With all the snowpack, Downieville at the top and Sunrise might be questionable this year. You'll have to wait until it get's closer. I wouldn't throw out Kernville quite yet, long sunny days and high winds can put the hurt on the snow pack really quick up there, as can warm rains.

I'd rather ride Downieville than Kernville for the Cannel Plunge. Cannel is beat up pretty bad by the moto's and loaded with deep sand in a lot of areas. You will still have to do some climbing at high altitude on Cannel plunge, it's not a pure gravity ride down. Sounds like a bike park is more your fitness level with full lift assist. Northstar or Mammoth Mtn bike parks.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 05-24-2011 at 09:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Yep, I don't recall having done Downieville in June without hitting snow at the top. This year is the worst I can remember for snow in the Sierras, so guessing they might not have the shuttles running until July You might want to call Yuba Expeditions in DV and see what their take is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

head north

Quote Originally Posted by markvw3
    Hi All,

So a bunch of friends and I planned a big trip to Kernville, CA for the last weekend of June. We were looking to do the shuttle ride to the top and the Cannell Plunge. Well, we have gotten record snow fall this year and there is still 8 feet of snow on the road to the top of the ride. Looks like we are postponing the event.

Of course we want to keep the date and do something that weekend. You know how it is, planning with the kids and wives. We all got the pass ...

Any recommendations on epic rides in CA or neighboring states for that weekend? We are all in NorCal, Bay Area, but willing to drive 6-8 hours for a great ride. A shuttle service or ability to shuttle would also be key. Some of us (me) aren't up to climbing 2,500 feet with day jobs

Thanks!
    Mark
    If you haven't been to southern oregon, head there. Ashland would keep you very entertained for a number of days. The quality of the trails and fun factor is very high. All of the rides are self shuttleable, or by ashland adventures. And you have unlimited places to get amazing food and beer after the rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If you haven't been to southern oregon, head there. Ashland would keep you very entertained for a number of days. The quality of the trails and fun factor is very high. All of the rides are self shuttleable, or by ashland adventures. And you have unlimited places to get amazing food and beer after the rides.
    Well, as an earlier posting stated ... no Downieville until mid-July. Confirmed with Downieville Outfitters. This may need to be moved to a fall gig ...

Loki - the Ashland, Ore suggestion sounds promising. I have left a message for Ashland Adventures as well. What's the scoop on the weather, trails, etc? I am assuming you live in the area.

Thanks,
    Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0