Recommend a 29'er XC FS frame (4" travel or less)- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

New question here. Recommend a 29'er XC FS frame (4" travel or less)

Doggone 29'er bug has bitten me but hard this year. After dabbling in the 29'er scene a few years ago (Rig, Inbred, ScandAL) and then forsaking them, I dipped my toe back in the water late last year with an El Mariachi. Not long before it became the go to and favorite bike in the garage (over the likes of a Motolite and 575.) I added a Bandersnatch 1x9 hardtail a couple of months ago and absolutely love the way it handles.

So, now I'm considering ditching all the 26" wheels except the 575 (which is overbuilt w/ a TALAS 36 and other burly parts.) What would slot in nicely would be a lightish weight 4" travel (or less) FS XC frame to take the the place of the Moto (which is sorta built that way now.) I have the parts to build a frame, but what frames are out there that meet this classification?

My first choice, at this point, would be the 2010 Jet 9. There is a local dealer here whom I'm sure would cut me a good deal on one. The 29'er fork I have right now is set at 80mm ('10 Reba SL), which would seem to be a good fork for that frame.

Other options in the $1500 to $1700 range for a new 3 - 4"-ish travel 29'er frame?
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-23-2010 at 12:15 PM.

likes to ride bikes
    With a 80mm fork your options are a little more narrow for a 3" full-suspension frame, but I like them too. Not all of these fit into your price range, but the Jet9 retails for more than the deal you're getting, so check them out

Lenz Leviathan 3"
    Ventana El Patron
    Titus RacerX 29er

some maybes:
    2011 Salsa full-suspension 29er?
    2011 Cannondale 29er full-suspension?

You may also be able to extend the travel on your Reba SL to 100mm.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    You may also be able to extend the travel on your Reba SL to 100mm.
    Yes, definitely an option with the Reba. I would potentially do that even with the fork on a Jet 9. I typically like to run a bit more front travel than rear on any FS bike. That's why I'd be interested in a 4" travel 29'er FS as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Specialized Epic.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Jet 9 is what I lust for...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    there's a Racer X frame for sale right now in the classifieds, jump on it!

I'm also wondering the same thing as you. I have a 29er HT (Tomac Flint) for race duties and a Voodoo Canzo for trail duties. Been thinking about looking into a different frame for trail duties though.

interested in a Canzo?

mtbr member
    Leviathan 4.0 with the Reba set at 120.

Built up at 27 lbs with nothing weight weenie on it.

likes to ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Jet 9 is what I lust for...
    Now see, there's nothing wrong with a little lustification, hee hee.

mtbr member
    May 2010

santa cruz tallboy

i am exclusively 29er. i have had an intense 29er spider, currently have superfly hardtail. i was looking for a FS 29er to do marathon xc races. i finally narrowed it down to superfly100 and the sc tallboy. i got the tallboy because if fit me better, i could build it up with whatever i wanted (GF superfly will only sell complete bike), i read a lot of bad stuff about GF bikes breaking and i thought the the tallboy would be more versatile than a pure race bike.

the tallboy has been awesome and i highly recomend it.

mtbr member
    If you can fit a medium or 18" frame - look at the price on the Kona Hei Hei at www.wheelworld.com - pretty friggin good for a FS 29er frame.

here's the link:

http://wheelworld.com/product/kona-0...frame-7279.htm

Oh and they also list 16" frames in stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Giant Anthem X 29er frame should be around $1600.

mtbr member
    I love my Kona Hei-Hei.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Now see, there's nothing wrong with a little lustification, hee hee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSMITH
    Specialized Epic.
    +1

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    My first choice, at this point, would be the 2010 Jet 9. There is a local dealer here whom I'm sure would cut me a good deal on one. The 29'er fork I have right now is set at 80mm ('10 Reba SL), which would seem to be a good fork for that frame.

Other options in the $1500 to $1700 range for a new 3 - 4"-ish travel 29'er frame?
    Your first choice is a good one.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Think I'm going to stand pat right now with the Bandersnatch and wait. I like the Jet 9 - especially post-redesign - but I'd really like a frame with a bit more travel. Having had a chance to meet and speak with Scot Nichol and the Ibis crew a couple of months ago, I hear tell of a potential 29'er coming out of the Ibis camp. Mojo/DW design, with 100mm of rear travel and, of course, carbon. That's a frame worth waiting for if it does become a reality.

Thanks for the all the responses!

Naturally Organic
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Think I'm going to stand pat right now with the Bandersnatch and wait. I like the Jet 9 - especially post-redesign - but I'd really like a frame with a bit more travel. Having had a chance to meet and speak with Scot Nichol and the Ibis crew a couple of months ago, I hear tell of a potential 29'er coming out of the Ibis camp. Mojo/DW design, with 100mm of rear travel and, of course, carbon. That's a frame worth waiting for if it does become a reality.

Thanks for the all the responses!
    Ibis Carbon FS 29er... Oh SNAP! That would be dreamy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadedavis
    i am exclusively 29er. i have had an intense 29er spider, currently have superfly hardtail. i was looking for a FS 29er to do marathon xc races. i finally narrowed it down to superfly100 and the sc tallboy. i got the tallboy because if fit me better, i could build it up with whatever i wanted (GF superfly will only sell complete bike), i read a lot of bad stuff about GF bikes breaking and i thought the the tallboy would be more versatile than a pure race bike.

the tallboy has been awesome and i highly recomend it.
    Hey wadedavis,

Would you mind commenting on your Intense 29er? I'm sensing that as you already owned one, but were still looking for something else and finally settled on a tallboy, you were less than impressed with the Spider's ride.

I'm considering a FS 29er and Intense and Santa Cruz have been on my radar. It's rare to find someone with ride time on both. Any information or thoughts would be appreciated,

E

Members who have read this thread: 0