Recommend a 29er for the 29er newb?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommend a 29er for the 29er newb?

I am looking for something new and have been bitten by the idea of getting a hardtail 29er to add to my repertoire.

This is my first foray into the 29er realm, so I am not looking to spend a ton, but have about $1000-1500 (max) I could lay down. Ideally i'd like something that doesn't require upgrades to be enjoyed (though upgrading down the line is possible). I'm not planning on racing, rather using it for some of the tamer local singletrack, fireroads, and for pulling my kiddo in a trailer...

Any recommendations?

Former Bike Wrench
    Check out the line from Gary Fisher (Trek) and Specialized if you plan on purchasing from an LBS. The new Fisher X-Caliber looks pretty nice in your price range.

Another really good option is if you have a Performance in town, their house brand Access XCL 9.9 29er is a smoking deal at $1499 right now.
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 01-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There are deals to be had in the classified section.
    I really like my misfit dissent which is a ss but you can run(gasp) geared.
    I've always liked the salsa dos niner....it has a 1 inch shock in the back which is just enough to take the edge off.
    I enjoyed my Gary Fisher x-cal but sold it for a full squish.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Check out the line from Gary Fisher (Trek) and Specialized if you plan on purchasing from an LBS. The new Fisher X-Caliber looks pretty nice in your price range.

Another really good option is if you have a Performance in town, their house brand Access XCL 9.9 29er is a smoking deal at $1499 right now.
    Yep, DF Trek or Specialized hardtail 29er, also the Access 9.7...but the 9.9 is nicer.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the start. I should have also specified I am looking for geared NOT SS. Looking into those recommendations, but wondering about some others:

Thoughts on the Fisher Ferrous, the new Raleigh XXIX+G and the Fisher X-Cal....

Any others? I've got emails out to those in the emporium within my price range and awaiting some responses.

mtbr member
    Mongoose Deception

Apr 2007
    First of all, I'd recommend you demo/rent a 29er from your LBS. When I started into the 29er realm, I demoed a Gunnar from my LBS (and took it on a trail). It was right for me, but may not be for you. You may also see if any local mtbr members are willing to let you test their bike.

To your list, I'd add Scott Scale, Giant XTC, Specialized Rockhopper and Redline D660.

Bicycle Addict
    To your list, I'd add Scott Scale, Giant XTC, Specialized Rockhopper and Redline D660
    I recently picked up a Scott Scale Elite for $1499. It comes with great components. Also the Redline D660 received great reviews. That one comes 1x9 I think and the Scott is 3x10
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Never trust a fart
    Also, look into the GT Zaskar Expert. Right now at Performance its $1600. Its full SLX. From the brakes down to the hubs.

Also the Felt 29er's are nice too.

With a budget max of $1500, there is a ton of 29ers in that price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Love my Scott Scale 29er

Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB
    I recently picked up a Scott Scale Elite for $1499. It comes with great components.
    Check out the Giants too though.. good looking bikes...

Short-Change-Hero
    Dont forget to throw Felt and Kona into the mix. The Felt Nine Series is a pretty good bike as is the new Kona Kahuna, 29, so-on and so-forth.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Redline d660. The '11 is 2X10.

Much bang for the buck. Add pedals and cut the bars to 25".

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb/2011-d-660

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sette's New 29er My Bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Sette's New 29er My Bike
    Hmmm...I've heard great things about the Sette bikes, so this is a contender for sure!

Anyone know ANYTHING about the 2011 Raleigh XXIX+G? Price? It looks like a rockin' bike, but I can't find any info since the summer and no local dealers...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I fell like I was totally rolling the dice with this purchase simply because I just could not find much information on the web about it. Today will be my first actual real ride on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The gary fisher bikes are supposed to be pretty good. Go on ebay and look for something if you dont want to pay much go for a Redline monocog for about 1500 retail they make cheaper versions also and this post was aimed at answering the first post hope this helps the kona unit is another good bike around 800 retail singlespeed

mtbr member
    Any others? Right now my short list includes:

Fisher X-cal
    Raleigh XXIX+G (if I can find some info on the 2011)
    Sette Razzo
    GT Zaskar Expert

Tulsa
    Surly karate monkey is a versatile bike that can be run in several configurations and reportedly handle trailers well.
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Since this is my first post I dont want to step on any toes. There is nothing wrong with shopping for price perse. I will say something about frame material. Spend a little more and find a frame with Reynolds 631 or the equivalent TrueTemper VersusHT. I have a Jamis Exile made with 631 and KHS SoloOne made with VHT. Theyre both 32in stepovers similarly equipped and weight in at manufacturer 25lb. I say this because it wont be long before you get bitten by the frame and weight virus. This seems to be the cutoff point before you get into custom. You pay a little more but it is cheaper than the eventual upgrade. Im turning the KHS into a SS urban speed demon with 700c slim tires and new driveline. I can buy this off the shelf but nobody makes one with the lighter VHT or 631 just the standard heavier 520 or 4130. I like the mechanical disc brakes on the KHS but I cant pop the rear like I do with the hydraulics on the Jamis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy853
    Since this is my first post I dont want to step on any toes. There is nothing wrong with shopping for price perse. I will say something about frame material. Spend a little more and find a frame with Reynolds 631 or the equivalent TrueTemper VersusHT. I have a Jamis Exile made with 631 and KHS SoloOne made with VHT. Theyre both 32in stepovers similarly equipped and weight in at manufacturer 25lb. I say this because it wont be long before you get bitten by the frame and weight virus. This seems to be the cutoff point before you get into custom. You pay a little more but it is cheaper than the eventual upgrade. Im turning the KHS into a SS urban speed demon with 700c slim tires and new driveline. I can buy this off the shelf but nobody makes one with the lighter VHT or 631 just the standard heavier 520 or 4130. I like the mechanical disc brakes on the KHS but I cant pop the rear like I do with the hydraulics on the Jamis.
    I understand maybe, less than 10% of this post. In reality, I am quite the newb. I ride a FS 26er, but am only into the sport about 2 years max, and only recently started to get into the details of bikes...

Thanks for the info though. I will try to pay some attention to frame material, but in reality, this is will be starter 29er. Looking for decent components and an overall decent ride, but should i get to the point at which I am wishing I had a different frame, then I'll likely just trade up. Hoping I can get a bike decently spec'd so as not to have to upgrade much, and if I then feel the need to upgrade, it will be at the point that I am sold on the 29er thing, and will just upgrade the entire ride...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you do make the switch to a 29er mostlikely you wont want to go back to a 26 in wheeled bike. The big wheels make everything smoother and you will be way more confident in all terrain

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus
    Anyone know ANYTHING about the 2011 Raleigh XXIX+G? Price? It looks like a rockin' bike, but I can't find any info since the summer and no local dealers...
    I was in the same market last August/Sept. I was really, really interested in the Raleigh but my local dealer didn't know when they would start getting 2011s and all their remaining '10s were too small for me. I think they said the 2011 model would be $1500-1600.

I was also looking at Konas, Fishers, and Giants, but ultimately chose a Specialized Rockhopper Pro. I really liked the fit and handling, and the clincher was that my LBS was selling it for $1249 (MSRP is $1400). Every other local dealer was charging full MSRP (if not more) for 2011 models at the time. I'm quite happy with it. YMMV.

Members who have read this thread: 0